Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand

You can use Mastercard, Visa, Electron, Diners Club and JCB.

Problem is many Thai Visa/MasterCard Debit Cards don't ever/as standard work for on-line purchases.

Just to confuse further, HMPO actually debit your fee in the UK as a mail order payment.

Well I've used the standard Bangkok Bank debit card for purchasing online. I used it to get a Cambodian e-visa from their immigration website and also chose the "pay in dollars" option.

Once your BKK Bank debit card is set up to do it, what happens is you simply go to a website (my only experience thus far though is the aforementioned one) and commit to your purchase. You then get re-directed to a 'verification page' where you request a 4 digit 'OTP number' that is texted by sms to your phone within a couple of minutes. You input this number into the verification page and you get re-directed back to the original purchasing website and hopefully are told payment was successful.

As long as the BKK Bank card is set up to do this the process is actually very easy.

I'm hoping that such a setup having worked this way already signifies that this BKK Bank debit card (that has the VISA symbol) should be good to go for the HMPO process.

I've been advised already in this thread to go see the folk in my branch, but frankly I have little confidence in what I might get told there, not so much because of any lack of confidence in them particularly but more in terms of the practicalities.

I've yet to go see them because I'm just trying to work out exactly what options are available before I act. It's why I asked for clarification about the Kasikorn card.

I've also been thinking of trying to get my brother to make the payment back in the UK and how I will manage that.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/OnlineBanking/PersonalBanking/IBanking/BualuangiBanking/Pages/Default.aspx

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You can use Mastercard, Visa, Electron, Diners Club and JCB.

Problem is many Thai Visa/MasterCard Debit Cards don't ever/as standard work for on-line purchases.

Just to confuse further, HMPO actually debit your fee in the UK as a mail order payment.

Well I've used the standard Bangkok Bank debit card for purchasing online. I used it to get a Cambodian e-visa from their immigration website and also chose the "pay in dollars" option.

Once your BKK Bank debit card is set up to do it, what happens is you simply go to a website (my only experience thus far though is the aforementioned one) and commit to your purchase. You then get re-directed to a 'verification page' where you request a 4 digit 'OTP number' that is texted by sms to your phone within a couple of minutes. You input this number into the verification page and you get re-directed back to the original purchasing website and hopefully are told payment was successful.

As long as the BKK Bank card is set up to do this the process is actually very easy.

I'm hoping that such a setup having worked this way already signifies that this BKK Bank debit card (that has the VISA symbol) should be good to go for the HMPO process.

I've been advised already in this thread to go see the folk in my branch, but frankly I have little confidence in what I might get told there, not so much because of any lack of confidence in them particularly but more in terms of the practicalities.

I've yet to go see them because I'm just trying to work out exactly what options are available before I act. It's why I asked for clarification about the Kasikorn card.

I've also been thinking of trying to get my brother to make the payment back in the UK and how I will manage that.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/OnlineBanking/PersonalBanking/IBanking/BualuangiBanking/Pages/Default.aspx

Understood - problem is the payment is neither processed in Thailand nor on-line.

When you go to Trendy they just take the payment form on which you fill out your card details, they don't check it or process in any way, they just forward it to HMPO Liverpool in the UK, who then actually process the payment like a mail order payment.

So you won't get the opportunity to go to a 'Verification by Visa' page, etc like you could with an on-line purchase.

I recollect reading about other posters who have had problems with the BKK Bank Visa Debit card when trying to pay for their passports .

• Like 1

If the Passport Office, or whoever makes the rules, are in a position to operate in such a way as to force expats into staying illegally in Thailand, how is it that thai law allows them to do this?

Why dont we hear about them being prosecuted?

Was up at Trendy yesterday to renew my passport. It didn't start well as I had a scrap with the car park attendant, you give these little men a uniform and well we all know what happens...

After that it was a doddle. Got up to the 28th floor, the place was packed so I feared the worse BUT I was seemingly the only one who was renewing my PP so I went straight up to the counter and was out within max 10 minutes..

Couple of points, you have to sign every page of your copied passport and the back of both photos. It doesn't seem to matter what time you get there, I went up there an hour early and it didn't matter..

Who knows how long it will take to come back though..

PP

We must soon be coming to the time when renewal passports are sent back for the first people under the new system. i.e those who applied at Trendy and have to collect from Trendy.

My appointment was 9th April so I am sure there are others before me.

If the Passport Office, or whoever makes the rules, are in a position to operate in such a way as to force expats into staying illegally in Thailand, how is it that thai law allows them to do this?

How are they forcing people to stay in Thailand illegally ??

I think the suggestion is that by cancelling an old passport, upon receipt of a renewal application, the holder could be unable travel from Thailand if the renewal takes longer than envisaged.

A distinct possibility given that a reasonable expectation was around 4 weeks processing time.

I think the suggestion is that by cancelling an old passport, upon receipt of a renewal application, the holder could be unable travel from Thailand if the renewal takes longer than envisaged.

A distinct possibility given that a reasonable expectation was around 4 weeks processing time.

If you do need to travel a temporary PP is the answer, but the poster stated forced to stay in Thailand illegally, even if the PP is "cancelled" the current visa's/extensions contained there in are still valid, If you get stopped by the BiB is Thailand and show them your PP even is cancelled for renewal, the BiB don't know..therefore nothing illegal

Don't get me wrong I am not defending the passport office, what is happening currently is a shambles, but Iam commenting on the posters assertion that people are forced to do something illegal, they are not...

If you do need to travel a temporary PP is the answer, but the poster stated forced to stay in Thailand illegally, even if the PP is "cancelled" the current visa's/extensions contained there in are still valid, If you get stopped by the BiB is Thailand and show them your PP even is cancelled for renewal, the BiB don't know..therefore nothing illegal

Don't get me wrong I am not defending the passport office, what is happening currently is a shambles, but Iam commenting on the posters assertion that people are forced to do something illegal, they are not...

Equally, I don't necessarily support the comment that people are "being forced".

However, the incompetence of HMPO et al COULD create such a situation.

In my case I started the thought process/action on 26th March. My permission to stay runs to 18th June.

There is no guarantee that my new passport will be back by 18th June - it SHOULD, but no guarantee. I took it upon myself to try and get a retirement extension in my 'cancelled' passport. It worked so I will not "be forced to stay in Thailand illegally". However, had I been unable to secure the extension I could (through no fault of my own = point finger at HMPO) be here illegally after 18th June.

A "shambles" in an apt description.

• Like 2

We must soon be coming to the time when renewal passports are sent back for the first people under the new system. i.e those who applied at Trendy and have to collect from Trendy.

I was the 9th as well. No sign of the new passport as of last Friday when I spoke to HMPO. I got an ETD on Monday at the Embassy in BKK and transferred my stamps and got a re-entry permit this morning in Songkhla. On a positive note, I managed to buy another half-dozen Krispy Kremes on my way back yesterday.

• Like 2

Equally, I don't necessarily support the comment that people are "being forced".

In my case I started the thought process/action on 26th March. My permission to stay runs to 18th June.

There is no guarantee that my new passport will be back by 18th June - it SHOULD, but no guarantee. I took it upon myself to try and get a retirement extension in my 'cancelled' passport. It worked so I will not "be forced to stay in Thailand illegally". However, had I been unable to secure the extension I could (through no fault of my own = point finger at HMPO) be here illegally after 18th June.

Understand what your saying, but if someone did get in that situation all HMPO will say is that you should have got a temporary passport..

as you said you managed to get the extension in a "cancelled" passport and succeeded, Immigration don't know your PP has been "cancelled" in their eyes as long as the expiry date in your PP is valid and you have the pages no reason why they shouldn't do the new stamps for you

If your staying in Thailand, there should be no problem, one suspects if there is a problem with a "cancelled" PP is when you try and travel on it...

Edited by Soutpeel

Understand what your saying, but if someone did get in that situation all HMPO will say is that you should have got a temporary passport..

as you said you managed to get the extension in a "cancelled" passport and succeeded, Immigration don't know your PP has been "cancelled" in their eyes as long as the expiry date in your PP is valid and you have the pages no reason why they shouldn't do the new stamps for you

If your staying in Thailand, there should be no problem, one suspects if there is a problem with a "cancelled" PP is when you try and travel on it...

I really wanted to test out the comment about traveling on a cancelled passport. I am not so sure it will be picked up.

I am scheduled to go to Cambodia on 7th July - if the new passport is not back by then, I might just try it.

You can apply for a new passport anytime and any remaining time on the old PP can be added to the new one up to a maximum of nine months. Why wait until the last minute.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand.

• Like 1

I'm glad I did mine when I did. Where possible apply up to 9 months in advance. I also thought that February would be a quiet time at the passport office, well before the main holiday period. Unbeknown to me, it seems the seeds of growth in the UK economy had germinated causing a problematic surge in passport applications, hence delays.

So amid this mini crisis what did HMPO decide? A root and branch upheaval and overhaul of passport applications from Thailand and who knows where else.

1. No consideration of personal circumstances of applicants ability to travel or health.

2. A letter to prove residential address, which has no practical bearing on the application process, but is causing a bit of grief and anxiety for some applicants.

3. No option of payment at Trendy in local currency or bankers draught.

4. No method of tracking application status.

The British used to be good at these sorts of things. What do they teach in "Uni" these days?

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The British used to be good at these sorts of things. What do they teach in "Uni" these days?

Efficient customer services management ?....laugh.png

Must only be theory, not practical 555

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I really wanted to test out the comment about traveling on a cancelled passport. I am not so sure it will be picked up

I am scheduled to go to Cambodia on 7th July - if the new passport is not back by then, I might just try it.

In theory at least, you should be ok, as how would they know the PP has been cancelled, do HMPO make the list of all cancelled PP's available to all immigration departments worldwide ?....one thinks not..

but the problem is if you do get caught out one suspects you will be on a really sticky wicket indeed certainly in light of the Malaysian air flight, current border crack downs etc...

Was up at Trendy yesterday to renew my passport. It didn't start well as I had a scrap with the car park attendant, you give these little men a uniform and well we all know what happens...

After that it was a doddle. Got up to the 28th floor, the place was packed so I feared the worse BUT I was seemingly the only one who was renewing my PP so I went straight up to the counter and was out within max 10 minutes..

Couple of points, you have to sign every page of your copied passport and the back of both photos. It doesn't seem to matter what time you get there, I went up there an hour early and it didn't matter..

PP

I think you are a optimist Jip mate

I helped my friends 13 year old daughter with her documents.

They were sent off on the 4th March, arrived on the10th March,money taken out on the 12th March.

Then the HMPO sent a letter on the 1st May saying they wanted more information about proof of address.

She sent the letter she received from the HMPO with her address on plus a couple of photo copies as proof of address back to them on the 11 May.

So now its 11 weeks and she still as not received her 5 year child passport.

Her father paid 125 pound that was the fee for a 5 year child passport before these changes.

He as knocked is head against a brick wall trying to get any sense out of HMPO Liverpool.

There as been no mention about a refund off the 125pound he as paid before the changes

And it remains to be seen if the HMPO will have the audacity to make them travel the 1,000 plus kilometres

to Bangkok to receive her passport after paying the DHL courier fee

• Like 1

You can apply for a new passport anytime and any remaining time on the old PP can be added to the new one up to a maximum of nine months. Why wait until the last minute.

With respect, it is not necessarily the currency of the passport but the permission to stay that is the major factor.

There is no excuse for leaving passport renewal until the last minute and (with many countries requiring 6 months validity for travel) it is sensible to apply no later than 9 months before expiry.

I had 7 and half years left on mine (ran out of pages) and 11 weeks remaining on my permission to stay - that may yet, not be enough!

Edited by Jip99

1. No consideration of personal circumstances of applicants ability to travel or health.

2. A letter to prove residential address, which has no practical bearing on the application process, but is causing a bit of grief and anxiety for some applicants.

3. No option of payment at Trendy in local currency or bankers draught.

4. No method of tracking application status.

This is a depressing thread. I just hope after all the trouble everyone is having they make the last little bit of effort to ensure they make a complaint. Judging by this topic if everyone makes a complaint the HMPO surely must take notice and make changes.

I really wanted to test out the comment about traveling on a cancelled passport. I am not so sure it will be picked up

In theory at least, you should be ok, as how would they know the PP has been cancelled, do HMPO make the list of all cancelled PP's available to all immigration departments worldwide ?....one thinks not..

but the problem is if you do get caught out one suspects you will be on a really sticky wicket indeed certainly in light of the Malaysian air flight, current border crack downs etc...

I am not trying to be a smart ar5e but I reckoned that I would have nothing little to lose....

I would probably go out from my local border point and when they swipe my passport I am sure I would be sweating a bit. BUT, working on the basis that the immigration office down the road are their bosses they probably use the computer system for the same purpose ie confirming immigration records in Thailand - and are not linked to HMPO.

Worst case scenario - it flags up as cancelled - I could just plead ignorance saying that, as we don't have to send the passport to the UK I assumed it was valid until the new one arrived.

A risk - yes. A wasted journey - yes. Anything more serious - I doubt it.

Do I want to be a Guinea pig............hmmmmm!

Edited by Jip99

If you do it and get away with it, let everyone know how it went, I would be curious to know...

If we don't hear from you can we assume your have been renditioned by the MI5 and are being water boarded at some remote location in one of the "stans"

laugh.png

• Like 1

I am not trying to be a smart ar5e but I reckoned that I would have nothing little to lose....

I would probably go out from my local border point and when they swipe my passport I am sure I would be sweating a bit. BUT, working on the basis that the immigration office down the road are their bosses they probably use the computer system for the same purpose ie confirming immigration records in Thailand - and are not linked to HMPO.

Worst case scenario - it flags up as cancelled - I could just plead ignorance saying that, as we don't have to send the passport to the UK I assumed it was valid until the new one arrived.

A risk - yes. A wasted journey - yes. Anything more serious - I doubt it.

Go for it & let us know how you get on.

Up until the end of March, the 'last minute' was 4 weeks before passport expiry, 10 years ago it was two weeks before expiry - overnight this has now gone up to 8 - 10 weeks.

So please don't be too hard on those of us who do not leave it to the 'last minute' but have just got caught up in a fiasco not of our own making.

• Like 1

I know of a job in Newport that would suit you down to the ground. whistling.gif

• Like 2

i'm now a week into my 2 month single entry, no plans to leave for a while, so with only 1 clear page ( + 2 pages with 1 and 2 stamps, the rest full). i was planning on applying for a new passport,, now after looking on this thread i'm having 2nd thoughts.. it sounds like this new "system" is having severe teething problems... going over to Laos/Cambodia means getting a whole stamped page before you get the Thai whole-page stamp.. the only thing i can think of now is now waiting till the end of this visa then go to Malaysia (not a whole page entry stamp) before either applying for a new passport there or just getting another Thai visa in Penang/KL...

any thoughts would be appreciated.. it just doesn't seem to be a good time to apply for a UK passport in Thailand

Edited by hoyism

i'm now a week into my 2 month single entry, no plans to leave for a while, so with only 1 clear page ( + 2 pages with 1 and 2 stamps, the rest full). i was planning on applying for a new passport,, now after looking on this thread i'm having 2nd thoughts.. it sounds like this new "system" is having severe teething problems... going over to Laos/Cambodia means getting a whole stamped page before you get the Thai whole-page stamp.. the only thing i can think of now is now waiting till the end of this visa then go to Malaysia (not a whole page entry stamp) before either applying for a new passport there or just getting another Thai visa in Penang/KL...

any thoughts would be appreciated.. it just doesn't seem to be a good time to apply for a UK passport in Thailand

You should be able to extend your 60 day Tourist Visa by 30 days at Immigration since even though your passport is cancelled, as at this stage it has no cancellation markings, etc, thus you local Thai Immigration Dept would not know that it has been cancelled.

As an alternative go to Singapore or Penang for a while, both of which would give you 90 day Visa Exempt Entries with a small in/out stamp to match your Thai in/out stamps, then get another 60 day Thai Tourist Visa which you can extend by 30 days.

If you are lucky the system may be quicker if you apply later, say in 3 months time.

Go stay in Malaysia for a while then apply to renew your passport on-line - the replacement would be couriered back to your residence, I don't know if this would be that much quicker, but it would certainly be more convenient as regards the passport per se.

Or renew your passport next time you are in the UK - same day service!

Good News for the Old Brit.Downloaded all his Forms. Took him to BKK Bank,showed them the Payment Form, and they upgraded an old Deposit Acc Card to work on VISA only,and tested it so it works for Him. Nice one BKK BANK. In and out in 25 Mins....biggrin.png

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Kasikorn Bank Visa debit card declined...twice! My card is activated for online shopping/cyber banking. After false assurances from customer services and my local bank it appears that this type of card is NOT an acceptable form of payment. HMPO process the payment as a "mail order" and Kasikorn only allow online shopping with the card. Two different things. So even though the card says electronic use it would seem not for a UK passport. Beware. My nightmare application which began on 26/3/2014 continues....

You can use a Kasikorn virtual card though, there are a few posts confirming this, and I used mine to successfully renew my passport last year.

Good News for the Old Brit.Downloaded all his Forms. Took him to BKK Bank,showed them the Payment Form, and they upgraded an old Deposit Acc Card to work on VISA only,and tested it so it works for Him. Nice one BKK BANK. In and out in 25 Mins.... alt=biggrin.png>

If you can hold the debit card in your hand (including activated for use on the VISA network) it probably won't work. It is too easy to be lost or stolen (in their eyes) and be used frauduently. The account numbers used for the virtual card are more secure as they can only be accessed through ebanking. It is included free with Kasikorn ebanking. The numbers of the virtual card are different to the numbers on the card you can hold in your hand. (By default the limit is set to 0 and has to increased by the user themselves in their ebanking a/c). Mail order purchases such as a passport renewal (HMPO) are not the same as an online purchase. Thai banking branch staff do not understand the difference. Thanks again to the Oldgit for the toptip!

PP

I think you are a optimist Jip mate

I helped my friends 13 year old daughter with her documents.

They were sent off on the 4th March, arrived on the10th March,money taken out on the 12th March.

Then the HMPO sent a letter on the 1st May saying they wanted more information about proof of address.

She sent the letter she received from the HMPO with her address on plus a couple of photo copies as proof of address back to them on the 11 May.

So now its 11 weeks and she still as not received her 5 year child passport.

Her father paid 125 pound that was the fee for a 5 year child passport before these changes.

He as knocked is head against a brick wall trying to get any sense out of HMPO Liverpool.

There as been no mention about a refund off the 125pound he as paid before the changes

And it remains to be seen if the HMPO will have the audacity to make them travel the 1,000 plus kilometres

to Bangkok to receive her passport after paying the DHL courier fee

11th May was only a couple of week ago, my beef would be why they took almost 2 months to request more info on her address, now that IS disgraceful!

I may yet ruenot just jumping on a plane and going home to get my new PP, same day service amd then spend a week with some family etc...too late now though.