Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand

I am off to the local immigration where they do not speak any English. What I need from them is a certificate of residence to show to the Trendy guys and gals. I am on an non immigrant o visa but I am uncertain what the certificate of residence will look like and what I will need to obtain it. Any info or picture would be appreciated

Cheers

JAF

When you go to immigration tell them you want the residence certificate for new passport & they will do the address in English.

save you time & money getting it translated

You need 2 passport size photos, copy of passport photo page, first & last visa pages, rentel contract or blue book.

300b to 500b depending on which office you go to.

Edited by DLP
  • Like 1

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

mine is with the translation people or I would scan mine to show you. Its just a signed letter with immigration stamps on it saying where you live with your photo glued on.

Got mine today and I am going to do a running costs as I recount my passport renewal saga.

So far we have

taxis/buses to and from immigration 200 baht

residence certificate 500baht (should be free but fat chance and for 500 I was done in mins and reckon I could have got one for living on the moon if I wanted though I did show them my internet bill)

translation of certificate to English 900 baht ???????

total running costs so far 1600 baht (30pounds)

costs to come

colour copy of passport pages + travel expenses 4 times khon kaen - bangkok + passport fees, shouldn't have to stay any nights in Bangkok but probably will or else travelling will make for a very long day.

All this is so so wrong on so many levels and I realise now why some people just get tired of giving governments their money and time and go off grid.

A night in Bangkok eh, oh the anguish, how do you think you will cope?

Flew down from Chiang Mai this morning and back this evening.

My appointment was for 2pm, but I arrived at the office at 10am. A long queue, and I asked if they could process me early. I was told to return at 1.15. Returned at 12.45 and joined a somewhat smaller queue. I was sent to HMPO counter number 11.

A lady, who spoke good English, checked my papers, told me the cost was 101.01 Pounds, and gave me a receipt showing what papers I had submitted. She said to expect a 1-2 month wait, and they would telephone or email me when the passport was ready. They will hold the passport there for 1 month, but did not say what happened after that time.

She also confirmed that I could appoint somebody else to collect the passport, I have to give them a letter of authorisation. No appointment necessary for collection, anytime from 10am to 4pm Mon-Fri.

A long, and tiring day, but all worked out OK.

Hope this is a help to someone.

• Like 1

I am off to the local immigration where they do not speak any English. What I need from them is a certificate of residence to show to the Trendy guys and gals. I am on an non immigrant o visa but I am uncertain what the certificate of residence will look like and what I will need to obtain it. Any info or picture would be appreciated

Cheers

JAF

When you go to immigration tell them you want the residence certificate for new passport & they will do the address in English.

You need 2 passport size photos, copy of passport photo page, first & last visa pages, rentel contract or blue book.

Due to other commitments (overseeing the building our new home) I did not get around to going to the immigration office today. After reading your comment I seem to have all the criteria needed other than a blue book or rental agreement.

Where we live, everything is done by word of mouth and as such my wife does not have a rental agreement for the property we rent although immigration have visited on several occasions over the last 6 years to photograph the place with my wife and I standing outside to confirm my non immigrant o visa conditions.

Hopefully the local immigration office will be able to help us out tomorrow but if not I don't really know what else I can provide the Trendy Office with to prove I am living at this address. I do have thai bank statements which have my name and address on but it appears they are not acceptable

Any suggestions are welcome

JAF

Cheers

JAF

Due to other commitments (overseeing the building our new home) I did not get around to going to the immigration office today. After reading your comment I seem to have all the criteria needed other than a blue book or rental agreement.

Where we live, everything is done by word of mouth and as such my wife does not have a rental agreement for the property we rent although immigration have visited on several occasions over the last 6 years to photograph the place with my wife and I standing outside to confirm my non immigrant o visa conditions.

Hopefully the local immigration office will be able to help us out tomorrow but if not I don't really know what else I can provide the Trendy Office with to prove I am living at this address. I do have thai bank statements which have my name and address on but it appears they are not acceptable

Any suggestions are welcome

JAF

Au contraire - HMPO Newport says Thai Bank Statements are fine, you just need to get them translated to English as per their instructions.

We have contacted our Liverpool Overseas Team on your behalf who has confirmed that you must submit at least one piece of evidence to confirm the address you currently use and it must be dated within the last year. You may choose from the following:

Tax record e.g. letter from tax authority

Educational record e.g. school report

Employment record e.g. official letter from your employer

A letter sent to you from a central, regional or local Government department

National identity card or equivalent (or colour photocopy)

Visa or resident permit (or colour photocopy)

Where none of the above is available consideration may be given to bank statements, utility bills or their equivalents.

Any documents that are not in English must be fully translated by a person who is registered to an official organisation or trade body for translators or employed by a recognised translation company. The translation must be attached to the original document and signed to confirm it is a true copy of the original.

Bank statements with your address are actually listed, the Immigration Residency Document is not, but would probably come under HMPO Guidance notes confirmation of address listed as 'Immigration Documents'

• Like 1

She also confirmed that I could appoint somebody else to collect the passport, I have to give them a letter of authorisation. No appointment necessary for collection, anytime from 10am to 4pm Mon-Fri.

well there's a business opportunity right there. Will collect passport for you and ems it to your address,People will happily pay for that rather than travelling down to Bangkok again.

• Like 1

I have just been to the local immigration office (where they do not speak English) and tried to explain to them that I needed a certificate of residence but they said I do not need one as my passport proves I am living in Thailand. For once, I actually agree with their logic.

I am going back again this afternoon to speak with the supervisor so I am hoping that someone can tell me the name in thai of the certificate of residence or maybe show a picture of what it looks like so that I can actually obtain one with the minimum amount of fuss and exasperation

Cheers

JAF

I have just been to the local immigration office (where they do not speak English) and tried to explain to them that I needed a certificate of residence but they said I do not need one as my passport proves I am living in Thailand. For once, I actually agree with their logic.

I am going back again this afternoon to speak with the supervisor so I am hoping that someone can tell me the name in thai of the certificate of residence or maybe show a picture of what it looks like so that I can actually obtain one with the minimum amount of fuss and exasperation

Cheers

JAF

You download this application form for the certificate then and fill it out. http://immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/res_cert.pdf

Check other and write proof of address in the space provided.

• Like 1

Once again these civil servants show their incompetence,

So now you can nominate the biggest drug baron,terrorist, fraudster in Thailand to collect a passport

but they wont allow DHL to deliver the passport securely to your home.

It makes me wonder, when the HMPO office gave this you scratch my back i scratch your back contract to VFS they gave the contract on the understanding that VFS would charge for their checking service by appointment.( They are certainly not doing this out of the goodness of their heart.)

So why charge for one appointment when you can double your profits by charging for two appointments no matter how much inconvenience the applicant as to go through

yes and dont forget the nominee will need your passport which means you wont have it so making their must have passport at all times bollux mute which means you might as well have been able to send your pp to the uk rather than photocopy everypage...... and round and round in circles they go

EXACTLY

• Like 1

Cheers

JAF

You download this application form for the certificate then and fill it out. http://immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/res_cert.pdf

Check other and write proof of address sin the space provided.

Thank you Ubonjoe. I will print this off and fill it in. Do I still need to take it to the local immigration office to get them to sign or stamp it ??

Cheers

JAF

Cheers

JAF

Thank you Ubonjoe. I will print this off and fill it in. Do I still need to take it to the local immigration office to get them to sign or stamp it ??

Cheers

JAF

You will need to take to immigration. They should then do the residence certificate. Just do your best to get them to understand what you want it for.

You may also need two photos,

• Like 1

Cheers

JAF

Cheers

JAF

You will need to take to immigration. They should then do the residence certificate. Just do your best to get them to understand what you want it for.

Hi Ubonjoe

Would I be right in assuming that the certifcate of residence form is the same 2 page form that I have to fill in when I do my yearly renewal for my non immigrant o (TM 18) ?

JAF

Cheers

JAF

Hi Ubonjoe

Would I be right in assuming that the certifcate of residence form is the same 2 page form that I have to fill in when I do my yearly renewal for my non immigrant o (TM 18) ?

JAF

You would only be filling in a TM18 if you have permanent residency. In that case you would just need copies and a translation of you your house book pages.

• Like 1

Hi Ubon Joe

Looking at the form TM 18 on this website shown below it looks remarkably similar to the form I have to fill in every year for my "marriage" visa

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=download

I will print off the form you gave me but I am still uncertain which form I need immigration to complete and certify for me. The clearer I can be with them the easier it will be to obtain because they really don't know their ar$e from their elbows in Ranong immigration

Cheers Ubonjoe

JAF

Hi Ubon Joe

Looking at the form TM 18 on this website shown below it looks remarkably similar to the form I have to fill in every year for my "marriage" visa

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=download

I will print off the form you gave me but I am still uncertain which form I need immigration to complete and certify for me. The clearer I can be with them the easier it will be to obtain because they really don't know their ar$e from their elbows in Ranong immigration

Cheers Ubonjoe

JAF

You fill out a TM7 form for your extension of stay. The form I gave you the link to is the correct form to apply for a certificate of residence.

They don't certify the form. They will fill in the blanks on a certificate of residence (looks like a letter) in their computer print it out and attach your photo to it.

An easy option re proof of address is for anyone on extensions based on retirement or marriage to inc a copy of their 'pension letter' (auditable British document) with their passport renewals. There will be no additional cost or inconvenience providing holder(s) had the sense to scan the original before using it to renew their extns. HMPO are unlikely to reject anything generated by HMG & could probably be pursued legally if they tried.

HTH

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

Well that was a complete waste of time !!!!

Just returned from Ranong immigration where they said they do not recognise the "application form for residence certificate in Thailand" and instead got my wife to fill out a form to notify them that I was residing at the property that we rent. I asked if it would be better that I filled out the form in my name but they said that I was "the alien" and that my wife had to fill it out in thai.

Then then issued her with a "receipt of notification" which has been stamped and dated by immigration. It does have my name written by pen in English but my address is written in thai. I told the guy that this was not suitable and explained to him that I needed a "certificate of residence" which looks like a letter with my name and address details along with a passport picture affixed to it and stamped..........he said he had never done one before so he did not know what I was talking about.

The bad news is that they close today and will not open again til Monday. My appointment in Bangkok in on Monday so I really don't know what else I can do to prove my residence.

The "receipt of notification" picture is shown below. Will it suffice ??

Any suggestions appreciated

Edited by Rimmer

Does you wife have a house book for where you are lining (her house)?.If it does you could get a translation of it done and use that along with the slip since it has her name on it.

Does you wife have a house book for where you are lining (her house)?.If it does you could get a translation of it done and use that along with the slip since it has her name on it.

The house we are living in is rental but we have found the rental contract which is signed on her name. Can I use this as proof if it is translated even though it does not have my name on it and is probably signed in my wifes maiden thai name

JAF

Just returned from Ranong immigration where they said they do not recognise the "application form for residence certificate in Thailand" and instead got my wife to fill out a form to notify them that I was residing at the property that we rent. I asked if it would be better that I filled out the form in my name but they said that I was "the alien" and that my wife had to fill it out in thai.

Then then issued her with a "receipt of notification" which has been stamped and dated by immigration. It does have my name written by pen in English but my address is written in thai. I told the guy that this was not suitable and explained to him that I needed a "certificate of residence" which looks like a letter with my name and address details along with a passport picture affixed to it and stamped..........he said he had never done one before so he did not know what I was talking about.

The bad news is that they close today and will not open again til Monday. My appointment in Bangkok in on Monday so I really don't know what else I can do to prove my residence.

This is what you need from immigration

post-203732-0-78907000-1399537028_thumb.

Cheers

JAF

You mean 'tick' other, let's not make this even more confusing smile.png

The house we are living in is rental but we have found the rental contract which is signed on her name. Can I use this as proof if it is translated even though it does not have my name on it and is probably signed in my wifes maiden thai name

JAF

You're having a nightmare pal.

Imagine how much simpler life would be if we all just lived back in good ol'd Blightly without sweating our balls off in a third world country every day. It does make me think.

Cheers

JAF

You mean 'tick' other, let's not make this even more confusing smile.png

To me a tick is something you pull off a dogs ear. biggrin.png

I could of also said select other, Or check the box next to other.

JAF

That might work. I am sure the slip that immigration did has her married name on it. If the contract has her maiden name then perhaps your marriage certificate that has both both names to go with everything else would help.

• Like 1

Cheers DLB

I printed that form out and returned to the immigration office. Spoke to the same guy and he sent me around the corner to the clerical office where they copied the information and replaced the blanks with my info and their address etc. It took about 20 minutes to sort it all out and now I have my certificate of residence.

Many thanks to all the posters who assisted me and a big thumbs up for the Thaivisa.com community

JAF

• Like 1

Cheers DLB

I printed that form out and returned to the immigration office. Spoke to the same guy and he sent me around the corner to the clerical office where they copied the information and replaced the blanks with my info and their address etc. It took about 20 minutes to sort it all out and now I have my certificate of residence.

Many thanks to all the posters who assisted me and a big thumbs up for the Thaivisa.com community

JAF

Pleased you finally got your paper work sorted ready for trendy on Monday.

Just got back after a day out of the office and saw that you have a bit of a drama today; to repeat my earlier post. - HMPO Liverpool would have happily accepted your bank statements/correspondence sent to your home as evidence of address, providing the paperwork was translated as specified by them.

• Like 1

Kasikorn Bank Visa debit card declined...twice! My card is activated for online shopping/cyber banking. After false assurances from customer services and my local bank it appears that this type of card is NOT an acceptable form of payment. HMPO process the payment as a "mail order" and Kasikorn only allow online shopping with the card. Two different things. So even though the card says electronic use it would seem not for a UK passport. Beware. My nightmare application which began on 26/3/2014 continues....