Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

TG called Kap Choeng Immigration this morning. No problem, up to me when I go. Old passport with extension of stay based on retirement valid. Wait until expiry date and report with new passport. No letter required from the useless British Embassy. I say that, not just because of the passport fiasco currently going on, but they also failed to respond to two emails I sent them last year regarding getting a letter to confirm my classes of full driving licence entitlement to enable me to get a Thai driving licence. Happy days.

Edited by watso63

Finally sorted. I went to the British Embassy this morning with old and new passports. They just give you a form letter where you fill in the blanks with your own name and passport details - they then stamp and sign the letter. Free of charge. In and out within about 10-15 minutes.

I took that letter to Immigration in Lad Phrao along with passport photos, both passports and 1900 baht for the 7-day extension - they told me what to photocopy from each passport, transferred the stamp and added the extension to my new passport. In and out within about four and a half hours.

So just to reiterate - whether it's official policy or not, immigration can refuse to transfer your stamp into your new passport at the airport, and can refuse to transfer it at all without a letter from the British Embassy.

• Like 1

Finally sorted. I went to the British Embassy this morning with old and new passports. They just give you a form letter where you fill in the blanks with your own name and passport details - they then stamp and sign the letter. Free of charge. In and out within about 10-15 minutes.

I took that letter to Immigration in Lad Phrao along with passport photos, both passports and 1900 baht for the 7-day extension - they told me what to photocopy from each passport, transferred the stamp and added the extension to my new passport. In and out within about four and a half hours.

So just to reiterate - whether it's official policy or not, immigration can refuse to transfer your stamp into your new passport at the airport, and can refuse to transfer it at all without a letter from the British Embassy.

Just goes to show again that it's down to the individual immigration officer, that's why I checked up. Not wanting to pay 3 months overstay fines for sure.

I wish i had known about this thread a month ago.. I have some questions that some on here may be able to answer..

Firstly my situation. I have applied for my new passport on 17 April and the 110.86 fee was taken from my my account on 24 April. My passport is valid until 2017 but there is no space for any other visas. Also my current Non-O volunteer visa finishes on 22 May.. I have left that volunteer position and moved to start university.. Due to this I can't move directly so i needed to go to Laos and move onto a tourist visa..

My options - Can I go to the Embassy and get an emergency passport then go to Laos and put my new tourist visa into that emergency passport until my new passport arrives from Liverpool.. What else could possible be done.. All ideas will be greatfully received.. I realise that it's getting late in the day for options however when I applied I expected to have the passport back within 4 weeks.. 28 days is today which i why I checked the internet and found this thread..

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What end is the Trendy building in Soi13?

Thanks.

Closer to the Sukhumvit end - it's maybe 100 metres in, on your right hand side.

Jeeez , it aint Rocket Science, it is easy to find. if you know soi cowboy you are there as near as dmmit, look on Google for WENDY HOUSE

Sorry in case of any further confusion I meant TRENDY HOUSE

Edited by daiwill60

Website updated 7th May 2014,

How long it takes

Your application will take at least 4 weeks from when it’s received by Her Majesty’s Passport Office in the UK.

Applications may take longer if:

• Her Majesty’s Passport Office needs to ask you for more information or documents
  • the photographs you send are rejected
Correct me if I am wrong but did this not used to say ' upto 4 weeks' from when it was handed in to the Wendy House?

The man at the Passport contact phone number I just spoke to, has just informed me that my passport, which was handed in to Wendy House on the 10th of April ( should have taken about 1 week to arrive in UK ) had actually arrived on the 23rd April which all you Mathemeticians know is 13 days or best part of 2 weeks and that the process of checking in the event of fraudulent applicatons can take up to 4 weeks.

My passport renewal application is now at the stage of being checked over in Liverpool for authenticity, following payment after my being instructed on the 28th April to make a payment, as the bank card payment had failed. ( Thai Banking failure on that score ) which was done on the 29th April with a credit card payment done over the phone. I was then informed the procedure of renewal would begin straight away.

Questions :-

Why did it take 2 weeks to arrive in the UK ( son kran did have an effect after all I guess).?

Why did it take another 5 days to notify me they were unable to then take payment ?

Why is it at least 4 weeks to process, after payment , in view of the statement referring to improvements in services leading to a reduction in fees by the minister in charge of this debacle ??? (Man on Phone), it can take longer depending how busy it is at certain times of the year, ( me) surely not , there must be a fairly steady flow of applications for these througout the year???? ( him ) No, really it can !!!!!! ( no real explanation called for here, as I am paying for this call, which is strange as they contacted me about payment by e-mail, see paragraph below)

Why does the website say upto 4 weeks? (Man on Phone) "It does not, it says "a least 4 weeks ( bear in mind there was a site update 7th May) .

It took me about 3 weeks to have a chance of e-mailing for an appointment to hand it in to Wendy House. (MoP), Sorry sir would you like me to register a complaint ? ( Me ) Yes Please, (MoP) how would you like the reply to your complaint? By Post or Phone call? ( me ) can you send a reply by e-mail ? ( MoP ) no, only post or phone, ( me ) dont bother it only be excuses, any way save the costs, and put the money towards improving your services )

So basically it has taken 2 weeks to get there, 5 days for payment to be taken , and now probably 3-4 weeks to be validated , and probably a few days to print a new copy, and probably another week to arrive back here.

So guys, you need to allow at least 8 weeks in my estimation, of course this will also depend on various factors such as, what colour the rain is that is falling in the UK at the time of arrival there, or maybe if the wind has been blowing in the wrong direction, which has slowed the planes down, or we were all depressed at Liverpoool losing the premiership and we were all off sick for a week etc etc

Anyway, my application techinicaly, has only been in the system for 3 weeks now and may take another week for checking to complete then a few days for printing, and another week to arrive. Isn't it weird that my mssus can change her name and status and get issued a new passport on the same day in Khon Kaen, close to where she lives, and we call the UK part of the developed World ???????????

Well we are British and we all know we love queues, don't we??? we are in system of queuing , whether we are there or not !!

Another thought has crossed my mind regarding the old guy from Pattaya I helped at Wendy House, when i handed in there. How the is he gonna know what the heck is happening , as he does not have internet, has e-mail set up by some guy in a shop etc, and if he is contactable, how will he know what to do to sort anything out that is a problem?????? Ah may be British Embassy will help him out , like innit ????

Don't forget the 2 weeks to come back via the post. My new passport issue date 23 April. Phone call from Wendy Wide Legs 2 weeks later. Paid for delivery to my home as I applied in February, but oh no, had to drive over 1000km to BKK and back (via 2 nights on the razz in Pattaya).

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What end is the Trendy building in Soi13?

Thanks.

Closer to the Sukhumvit end - it's maybe 100 metres in, on your right hand side.

Jeeez , it aint Rocket Science, it is easy to find. if you know soi cowboy you are there as near as dmmit, look on Google for WENDY HOUSE

Sorry in case of any further confusion I meant TRENDY HOUSE

Soi Cowboy, you say?? Nah, never heard of it..

I handed my application in on 7th May, and the fee was deducted from my account on 13th May. At Trendy I was told that the cost was 101.01 Pounds, and that's the amount I entered on my authorisation form, but the amount deducted was 102.86. I'm sure they have a random number generator somewhere. That's another obstacle out of the way.

I handed my application in on 7th May, and the fee was deducted from my account on 13th May. At Trendy I was told that the cost was 101.01 Pounds, and that's the amount I entered on my authorisation form, but the amount deducted was 102.86. I'm sure they have a random number generator somewhere. That's another obstacle out of the way.

Whatever lottery numbers they are doing.

Thats what you get charged.

I wish i had known about this thread a month ago.. I have some questions that some on here may be able to answer..

Firstly my situation. I have applied for my new passport on 17 April and the 110.86 fee was taken from my my account on 24 April. My passport is valid until 2017 but there is no space for any other visas. Also my current Non-O volunteer visa finishes on 22 May.. I have left that volunteer position and moved to start university.. Due to this I can't move directly so i needed to go to Laos and move onto a tourist visa..

My options - Can I go to the Embassy and get an emergency passport then go to Laos and put my new tourist visa into that emergency passport until my new passport arrives from Liverpool.. What else could possible be done.. All ideas will be greatfully received.. I realise that it's getting late in the day for options however when I applied I expected to have the passport back within 4 weeks.. 28 days is today which i why I checked the internet and found this thread..

I also want to ask. What would happen if I "lost" my current passport.. Would i be given an Emergency Travel Document that i could then go into Laos on and get a 60 day tourist visa while i wait for my new passport being recieved..

I also want to ask. What would happen if I "lost" my current passport.. Would i be given an Emergency Travel Document that i could then go into Laos on and get a 60 day tourist visa while i wait for my new passport being recieved..

Why do you need to lose your current PP ?, the BE will "give" you a temporary PP if you ask them and you need to travel but if memory serves the cost is close to 90 quid...they are fully aware of the issues around getting passports back, so its not a biggie, if you "lose" it then you need a police report etc etc....your making far more complicated than they need to be

Why do you need to lose your current PP ?, the BE will "give" you a temporary PP if you ask them and you need to travel but if memory serves the cost is close to 90 quid...they are fully aware of the issues around getting passports back, so its not a biggie, if you "lose" it then you need a police report etc etc....your making far more complicated than they need to be

Thanks for that.. I don't actually need to travel however i need to move onto a new visa.. I guess that means i need a temporary PP..

Can i ask.. is that a one day service?

Thanks for that.. I don't actually need to travel however i need to move onto a new visa.. I guess that means i need a temporary PP..

Can i ask.. is that a one day service?

As far as I am aware you get it there and then, but I have never actual tried to get one

Website updated 7th May 2014,

How long it takes

Your application will take at least 4 weeks from when it’s received by Her Majesty’s Passport Office in the UK.

Applications may take longer if:

• Her Majesty’s Passport Office needs to ask you for more information or documents
  • the photographs you send are rejected
Correct me if I am wrong but did this not used to say ' upto 4 weeks' from when it was handed in to the Wendy House?

The man at the Passport contact phone number I just spoke to, has just informed me that my passport, which was handed in to Wendy House on the 10th of April ( should have taken about 1 week to arrive in UK ) had actually arrived on the 23rd April which all you Mathemeticians know is 13 days or best part of 2 weeks and that the process of checking in the event of fraudulent applicatons can take up to 4 weeks.

My passport renewal application is now at the stage of being checked over in Liverpool for authenticity, following payment after my being instructed on the 28th April to make a payment, as the bank card payment had failed. ( Thai Banking failure on that score ) which was done on the 29th April with a credit card payment done over the phone. I was then informed the procedure of renewal would begin straight away.

Questions :-

Why did it take 2 weeks to arrive in the UK ( son kran did have an effect after all I guess).?

Why did it take another 5 days to notify me they were unable to then take payment ?

Why is it at least 4 weeks to process, after payment , in view of the statement referring to improvements in services leading to a reduction in fees by the minister in charge of this debacle ??? (Man on Phone), it can take longer depending how busy it is at certain times of the year, ( me) surely not , there must be a fairly steady flow of applications for these througout the year???? ( him ) No, really it can !!!!!! ( no real explanation called for here, as I am paying for this call, which is strange as they contacted me about payment by e-mail, see paragraph below)

Why does the website say upto 4 weeks? (Man on Phone) "It does not, it says "a least 4 weeks ( bear in mind there was a site update 7th May) .

It took me about 3 weeks to have a chance of e-mailing for an appointment to hand it in to Wendy House. (MoP), Sorry sir would you like me to register a complaint ? ( Me ) Yes Please, (MoP) how would you like the reply to your complaint? By Post or Phone call? ( me ) can you send a reply by e-mail ? ( MoP ) no, only post or phone, ( me ) dont bother it only be excuses, any way save the costs, and put the money towards improving your services )

So basically it has taken 2 weeks to get there, 5 days for payment to be taken , and now probably 3-4 weeks to be validated , and probably a few days to print a new copy, and probably another week to arrive back here.

So guys, you need to allow at least 8 weeks in my estimation, of course this will also depend on various factors such as, what colour the rain is that is falling in the UK at the time of arrival there, or maybe if the wind has been blowing in the wrong direction, which has slowed the planes down, or we were all depressed at Liverpoool losing the premiership and we were all off sick for a week etc etc

Anyway, my application techinicaly, has only been in the system for 3 weeks now and may take another week for checking to complete then a few days for printing, and another week to arrive. Isn't it weird that my mssus can change her name and status and get issued a new passport on the same day in Khon Kaen, close to where she lives, and we call the UK part of the developed World ???????????

Well we are British and we all know we love queues, don't we??? we are in system of queuing , whether we are there or not !!

Another thought has crossed my mind regarding the old guy from Pattaya I helped at Wendy House, when i handed in there. How the is he gonna know what the heck is happening , as he does not have internet, has e-mail set up by some guy in a shop etc, and if he is contactable, how will he know what to do to sort anything out that is a problem?????? Ah may be British Embassy will help him out , like innit ????

Don't forget the 2 weeks to come back via the post. My new passport issue date 23 April. Phone call from Wendy Wide Legs 2 weeks later. Paid for delivery to my home as I applied in February, but oh no, had to drive over 1000km to BKK and back (via 2 nights on the razz in Pattaya).

The man at the Passport contact phone number I just spoke to, has just informed me that my passport, which was handed in to Wendy House on the 10th of April ( should have taken about 1 week to arrive in UK ) had actually arrived on the 23rd April which all you Mathemeticians know is 13 days or best part of 2 weeks

Just noticed this, let me ask this question to people who have used Wendy House ?.....are they charging you for outbound courier fee's ? ie BKK to the UK ? as if they are, there is something very wrong here, I did my PP in Dec/Jan and by mistake sent to HK and they passed on to Liverpool...but per the DHL tracking BKK to HK delivered was 3 days, and when they sent it Liverpool - BKK that was a little over 3 days, therefore if you are paying an individual fee for shipping, I would suggest you are being ripped off as regards the courier fee's...

if your not paying out bound courier fees, then one suspects Wendy House is sitting on the applications until they get sufficient quantity to send the UK in one shot to save money...

• Like 2

Scot

Welcome to the head banging club

I can understand being hoodwinked by HMPO web site PROUDLY patting themselves on the back stating that 95 percent ? of passports are returned within one month,compared with VFS who recommend that you allow between 6 weeks to 6 months.What i have read on this thread is 8 or 9 weeks if your lucky for your passport to be returned.

I am not sure but i think if you had a couple of years left on you passport,they would pin a extra page on your passport,but that was before common sense and logic went out the window.

I would not go along the road of "I've lost my passport" as you are going to open another can of worms and i have believed "if you always tell the truth,you cant tell i lie".

The British embassy in Bangkok have washed its hands of processing passports and visas for British citizens in Thailand and are now concentrating their efforts on "garden parties" but reluctantly i would have to say to go and see them, explaining your circumstances and hope they can suggest a solution for you.

Good luck with your studies and please report back on how you go on

• Like 1

The British embassy in Bangkok have washed its hands of processing passports and visas for British citizens in Thailand and are now concentrating their efforts on "garden parties" but reluctantly i would have to say to go and see them, explaining your circumstances and hope they can suggest a solution for you.

I contacted the Consular people at the embassy regarding the options if I don't receive my passport back from Liverpool/Trendy in time for my trip back to UK next month. They answered before 8.15 am the next working day and couldn't have been more helpful. Their reply to my query was ....

a. There is no appointment for Emergency Travel Document (ETD).

b. Kindly to confirm which country you plan to travel to as an ETD doesn’t allow using in some countries and requiring for a visa.

c. ETD Requirement:

1. A completed ETD application form which you can download from www.gov.uk/world/thailand.

2. 2 recent identical photographs

3. Flight itinerary/ e-ticket confirmation

4. Fee THB 5,320

5. Receipt to proof for renewal passport

6. Proof of address in Thailand in case that you use the ETD as two ways documents and return to Thailand

That may help others in a similar situation.

Edited by rajyindee

I contacted the Consular people at the embassy regarding the options if I don't receive my passport back from Liverpool/Trendy in time for my trip back to UK next month. They answered before 8.15 am the next working day and couldn't have been more helpful. Their reply to my query was ....

b. Kindly to confirm which country you plan to travel to as an ETD doesn’t allow using in some countries and requiring for a visa.

c. ETD Requirement:

1. A completed ETD application form which you can download from www.gov.uk/world/thailand.

4. Fee THB 5,320

6. Proof of address in Thailand in case that you use the ETD as two ways documents and return to Thailand

Beginning to see a pattern developing........

They take for ever to renew our new 'cheaper' passports using the new 'consistent, trusted, secure and efficient service' (© HMPO), so we all have to buy ETDs as well at 5.320 THB (plus the cost of a third 2000 km round trip with accommodation, flights and expenses).

Nice business model - Muppets.

c. ETD Requirement:

4. Fee THB 5,320

They take for ever to renew our new 'cheaper' passports using the new 'consistent, trusted, secure and efficient service' (© HMPO), so we all have to buy ETDs as well at 5.320 THB (plus the cost of a third 2000 km round trip with accommodation, flights and expenses).

Nothing to add really - I went to the embassy and was told that I would need to get a replacement passport and this could be used to travel to Laos, get a tourist visa and then come back into Thailand to wait on my new passport arriving..

Of course i need to pay the 5320 baht - would it not be a sign of goodwill that they might waive the fee since the government website said up to 4 weeks and since our applications it has been changed to a minimum of 4 weeks with a maximum of 6 months.. Their incompetence has made the emergency passport a requirement..

Although i would say i have less reason to complain than most since its only about a 20 minute bike ride from my house to the embassy with a total cost in petrol of around 50 baht..

I could have gone and got the emergency document today but i needed passport photos which i had left at the house.. I also live in the hope that somehow VFS will get a big influx of British passports today and have started calling out to tell us to go in to collect them - Please don't all laugh at once..

c. ETD Requirement:

4. Fee THB 5,320

Nothing to add really - I went to the embassy and was told that I would need to get a replacement passport and this could be used to travel to Laos, get a tourist visa and then come back into Thailand to wait on my new passport arriving..

Of course i need to pay the 5320 baht - would it not be a sign of goodwill that they might waive the fee since the government website said up to 4 weeks and since our applications it has been changed to a minimum of 4 weeks with a maximum of 6 months.. Their incompetence has made the emergency passport a requirement..

Although i would say i have less reason to complain than most since its only about a 20 minute bike ride from my house to the embassy with a total cost in petrol of around 50 baht..

I could have gone and got the emergency document today but i needed passport photos which i had left at the house.. I also live in the hope that somehow VFS will get a big influx of British passports today and have started calling out to tell us to go in to collect them - Please don't all laugh at once..

No one's laughing here! Be careful what you do on a tourist visa, unless you just intend to wait for your new passport. Are you studying or intending to work at the University? I said all along it would be better if HMPO at least provided a reference number where we could all check the application progress etc. Again, good luck, at least you have the luxury of being able to get to Trendy quickly.

You should do a bit more homework. It is my understanding that the ETD is a one way route back to UK.

What an emergency travel document does

An emergency travel document allows you to leave the country you’re in and travel to your destination via a maximum of 5 countries.

The emergency travel document can also cover a return journey if you’re resident in the country you’re applying from.

An emergency travel document doesn’t guarantee entry to every country. You may also need a visa. Check with the embassy or consulate of the country or countries you’re intending to travel to or through.

Using your emergency travel document

The emergency travel document will only be valid for the journey that you specified when you applied and for a specific period of time. This will be shown on the document.

Your existing British passport will be cancelled in most cases.

Immigration authorities may keep your emergency travel document when you arrive at your destination.

I'd double check that plan. I emailed similar questions to the British Embassy when I was worried that my replacement passport might not arrive before my stamp expired. Their reply included this snippet:

Please note that Laos and Myanmar are not accepted for an ETD to journey in the countries and travelling to Malaysia and Vietnam, they require a visa.

Not the clearest of sentences, but I interpreted that as meaning that you can't travel to Laos or Myanmar at all on an ETD. And that if you want to visit Malaysia or Vietnam on an ETD, you'll need to get a visa into your ETD before you travel.

Fortunately my passport arrived before my stamp expired. But then I ran into other issues - as already covered :)

I'd double check that plan. I emailed similar questions to the British Embassy when I was worried that my replacement passport might not arrive before my stamp expired. Their reply included this snippet:

Please note that Laos and Myanmar are not accepted for an ETD to journey in the countries and travelling to Malaysia and Vietnam, they require a visa.

Not the clearest of sentences, but I interpreted that as meaning that you can't travel to Laos or Myanmar at all on an ETD. And that if you want to visit Malaysia or Vietnam on an ETD, you'll need to get a visa into your ETD before you travel.

Fortunately my passport arrived before my stamp expired. But then I ran into other issues - as already covered smile.png

I agree with them, why one earth would anyone need to travel to Laos or Burma for an 'emergency' laughable.

This Scott character doesn't sound like the sharpest tool in the box.

Fortunately my passport arrived before my stamp expired. But then I ran into other issues - as already covered smile.png

I agree with them, why one earth would anyone need to travel to Laos or Burma for an 'emergency' laughable.

This Scott character doesn't sound like the sharpest tool in the box.

Different when you were asking for help Mr Apologist for Gerry Adams and the murderous PIRA.

You should do a bit more homework. It is my understanding that the ETD is a one way route back to UK.

To repeat what the Embassy told me ....

c. ETD Requirement: ...

What the hell is wrong with you people, they are trying to get rid of false passport applications, support it so do not start bitching when suicide bombers arrive in Bradford .u

No disrespect

Coming from there I suspect they have already arrived.!