Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand

What the hell is wrong with you people, they are trying to get rid of false passport applications, support it so do not start bitching when suicide bombers arrive in Bradford .u

What planet are you on. Sucide bombers as you call them like the London suicide bombers lived in England. so I do not see how making it hard and expense to genuine British people will help. Prehaps it would make more sense to stop letting every <deleted> and his dog into UK

Agree with all you have said. The poster refers to Bradford. I was appalled at the state of the place when I was back in November last year.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What the hell is wrong with you people, they are trying to get rid of false passport applications, support it so do not start bitching when suicide bombers arrive in Bradford .u

No disrespect

Coming from there I suspect they have already arrived.!

They haven't got a clue as to who is in the UK right now! Anyway there isn't a consistent worldwide policy. Thailand has been targeted for whatever reason, but whatever that reason is, it is a complete bag of crappy spanners lol.

Thanks for some of the replies..

After further checking it turns out that Laos will not in fact put a tourist visa into an emergency travel document so that option is out..

As i see it the only possible option is waiting for my passport to arrive and then pay the overstay..

I really hope they get these problems sorted out quickly and my passport arrives soon.. My current visa finished on the 22nd so anytime before that and i would be thankful..

Has anyone who applied at VFS received their passport back or are we still waiting for our first sucessful story?

If I hear anything more or get my passport back I will update this thread..

There are plenty of other Embassies & Consulates outside of Laos. You may be able to get a new Thai tourist visa from the Thai Embassy in Phnom Penh, Cambodia for example. I think you ought to be able to travel to Cambodia with no advance Cambodian visa, and just get the regular tourist visa on arrival. But getting your new Thai visa at the Phnom Penh Embassy can take several days at the best of times, compared to overnight in Vientiane.

Or you could go to Malayisa, and apply for your Thai tourist visa in Penang or KL. You'd need to arrange a Malaysian tourist visa on your ETD in advance in order to travel, but it can be done. I'm not sure how friendly the Thai Embassy is in Vietnam, so can't comment there. Singapore, Hong Kong etc might also be possibilities.

Trendy are apparently now saying that it could take up to six months for passports to be issued, so in a worst-case scenario you could be looking at a months-long overstay, and the accompanying fine once you do get your new passport and manage to leave - 20,000 baht.

Edit: But do please double-check with the Embassy, I'm just going on what I've been told. Make sure you tell them exactly what you're planning to do if/when you apply for the ETD - they should know whether or not it's a realistic solution.

Edited by thatmanagain

No disrespect

Coming from there I suspect they have already arrived.!

They haven't got a clue as to who is in the UK right now! Anyway there isn't a consistent worldwide policy. Thailand has been targeted for whatever reason, but whatever that reason is, it is a complete bag of crappy spanners lol.

Could not agree more with you. I am just thankful that I renewed my passport several months ago. I did read that the passport agency was going to make it easier for overseas passport renewals, my understanding was that in future all passport applications were to be sent to the UK and once processed would be sent back to the applicant by courier. However reading this post It would seem now that this was to easy so a new more complicated route was sought especially for Thailand. After all why make things easy for people when you can make it more difficult. With regard to the company designated by the UK government to perform this important task in Thailand, words fail me.

Edited by khastan

After further checking it turns out that Laos will not in fact put a tourist visa into an emergency travel document so that option is out..

As i see it the only possible option is waiting for my passport to arrive and then pay the overstay..

I really hope they get these problems sorted out quickly and my passport arrives soon.. My current visa finished on the 22nd so anytime before that and i would be thankful..

Has anyone who applied at VFS received their passport back or are we still waiting for our first sucessful story?

You would think common sense would prevail in a case like this,were Scot as been doing volunteer work and is going to start university. He as been hoodwinked by the HMPO web site believing his passport would be back within a month, is own passport does not expire till 2017 but as no more room for visa stamps.

He now as a nail biting wait while the HMPO and the VFS process his passport,and lets face it the two of them have not been given efficiency awards on this thread. Plus the fact that the average time on this thread is over two months to process and return a passport plus the fact that he could be faced with a months overstay fines @ 500 ฿ a day.

Of course it would be wishful thinking if there was someone human from the British embassy in Bangkok to take a look at Scots predicament and come to the conclusion that he is not a terrorist,drug baron, or be a danger to society with a British passport in is hands.And from one "old boy" from the British embassy in Bangkok to phone another "old boy" @ HMPO Liverpool and just ask to fast track his application (wink wink) old boy?

But then again "pigs might fly"

• Like 2

You would think common sense would prevail in a case like this,were Scot as been doing volunteer work and is going to start university. He as been hoodwinked by the HMPO web site believing his passport would be back within a month, is own passport does not expire till 2017 but as no more room for visa stamps.

He now as a nail biting wait while the HMPO and the VFS process his passport,and lets face it the two of them have not been given efficiency awards on this thread. Plus the fact that the average time on this thread is over two months to process and return a passport plus the fact that he could be faced with a months overstay fines @ 500 ฿ a day.

Of course it would be wishful thinking if there was someone human from the British embassy in Bangkok to take a look at Scots predicament and come to the conclusion that he is not a terrorist,drug baron, or be a danger to society with a British passport in is hands.And from one "old boy" from the British embassy in Bangkok to phone another "old boy" @ HMPO Liverpool and just ask to fast track his application (wink wink) old boy?

But then again "pigs might fly"

I'm checking outside for the flying pigs...

To be fair it's not even looking for being fast tracked. However someone should be on the phone questioning why people whose application was recieved and bank account deducted on the 24 April have not heard or received anything back.. 24 April until now is a 3 week backlog..

On any passport application that is a disgrace however for someone in a foreign country that is having to deal with visas etc it is shocking..

Something on the website such as the delay from payment being taken to application being looked at is X days.. at least then people could start to plan for things.. its the complete lack of information that is impossible to plan around.. it may arrive tomorrow.. it will more likely arrive in 4 or 5 weeks.. i just wish i knew..

• Like 1

What exactly, in the main, are people complaining about here? Is it lenght of time for PP to come back?

On March 26th UK Citizens based in Thailand were promised 'cheaper' passports with a 'consistent, trusted, secure and efficient service'

What we have is:

1) Much more expensive passports (for most living outside of BKK) with 2- 3 trips to BKK, flights, hotels, expenses, loss of income.

2) Inconsistent - variable costs from client to client, varying advice on key documentation, varying procedures.

3) Untrustworthy - no reliable information on appointments, no Thai helpline/information such as relevant documents and process - no tracking.

3) Secure - amongst all this chaos, I doubt it.

4) Inefficient - long delays (typical 8 weeks delays quoted by agent as possibly up to 6 months), variable costs from client to client.

Our UK passports are such important papers; looking at this new system I am near s......g myself just thinking of the potential of being stuck here on overstay with my WP and extension dead in the water and unable to provide for my family.

But yes, the 8 week minimum delay is certainly one thing I am very unhappy about.

When I renewed my British Passport 10 years ago via the BKK Embassy it was utterly painless, took around two weeks and was done both ways by EMS, and remember that this was only three years after 9/11!

Edited by digitalchromakey
  • Like 1

Can anyone confirm if it's possible to use the Bangkok Bank ATM card for payment? The one for the basic savings account issued to us falang. This card has the VISA logo and can be used for online purchasing, unlike (in my experience) the SCB one, so I'm hoping it's going to be ok for this.

Another concern for me is all this random waiting for a new passport with no communication. I'm between jobs and need to get onto a (hopefully double entry) Tourist visa next week. I'm not even sure how that's going to work (ie. extensions + re-entry) once I'm on some kind of temporary document. When I see people quoting a potential 6 month wait even a full 180 day visa is looking scary, especially given I could really do with having the passport asap for a new employer to start a Non Imm B process. The border run tightening came at the worst possible time.

Can anyone confirm if it's possible to use the Bangkok Bank ATM card for payment? The one for the basic savings account issued to us falang. This card has the VISA logo and can be used for online purchasing, unlike (in my experience) the SCB one, so I'm hoping it's going to be ok for this.

Another concern for me is all this random waiting for a new passport with no communication. I'm between jobs and need to get onto a (hopefully double entry) Tourist visa next week. I'm not even sure how that's going to work (ie. extensions + re-entry) once I'm on some kind of temporary document. When I see people quoting a potential 6 month wait even a full 180 day visa is looking scary, especially given I could really do with having the passport asap for a new employer to start a Non Imm B process. The border run tightening came at the worst possible time.

You need to ask BKK Bank specifically if your ATM card will work for a UK Pound transaction in Liverpool, Trendy just take you card details and forward them to Liverpool with your application papers..

You get to keep your passport whilst the application is in process, however as soon as you apply to Trendy for a new replacement, your British Passport is invalid for travel.

There is no temporary document issued as standard for the period between your application and collection of the new Passport, a period which currently looks to be working out at around 8 weeks.

If it's possible, then much better you get your visa and a 60 day entry, immediately before applying to Trendy - a 30 day extension should be possible at your local immigration as they will not know tat your passport is cancelled.

Edited by digitalchromakey
  • Like 1

You need to ask BKK Bank specifically if your ATM card will work for a UK Pound transaction in Liverpool, Trendy just take you card details and forward them to Liverpool with your application papers..

You get to keep your passport whilst the application is in process, however as soon as you apply to Trendy for a new replacement, your British Passport is invalid for travel.

There is no temporary document issued as standard for the period between your application and collection of the new Passport, a period which currently looks to be working out at around 8 weeks.

If it's possible, then much better you get your visa and a 60 day entry, immediately before applying to Trendy - a 30 day extension should be possible at your local immigration as they will not know tat your passport is cancelled.

Thanks very much for the info!

Being able to keep my old passport, as opposed to having a temporary document, I think is much better, despite being unable to use it to travel.

Yes, my idea is to get onto the 60 days and apply asap.

I sure hope I'm lucky to get the new passport back fast (I doubt it) or visa extension on my old one will go smoothly because I have some visa exempt stamps. If they make a fuss about that maybe I would be forced to let them know I am still waiting for a valid document!

It's my own stupid fault for assuming decades of border runs (for other people) would not get tightened right after I took time out after my last job; and my own stupid fault for not organising the passport sooner, rather than going through a passport change at the same time as looking for new work.

If I can get out of this alive and don't learn my lessons I'll definitely deserve everything I get the next time. I've been here long enough to know better than to assume things won't change.

Congratulations

Just read a report on another thread now closed (i wonder why) that the new Trendy office in Bangkok is now officially open.

The new sleek ultra modern office is a partnership between the British government and VFS.

Mr Paul Bute (known to is friends as " give him the bute" from is rugby days opened the new office,that will provide a fast and efficient hassle free visa application service for those wishing to start on the pathway to dear old blighty.

There was no mention in the report of their renowned,unbelievable experience that is their passport checking service,that enables a elderly or disabled British citizen living in the North or South of Thailand having to undertake a 4,000 plus kilometre journey in order to renew their passport. I presume that the passport service as advertised directing you to the Trendy office is not yet open and the past 6 weeks have been a joke or me having a bad dream

We all think and know that this present method is no good.I have send an e-mail to the home office who set these scheme in motion. So prehaps a load of of complains and details of the problems caused should be sent to them

The tossers refused my e-mail the address was right the whole e-mail and draft have completly disappeared so I will send a l a letter via the post

You can't travel with it after you’ve applied for a new one - but you will be able to keep your existing passport for ID purposes.

How would they know?

Proof of residency? I assume that is all out the window as if you go to the embassy it's pretty clear where you are living.

The passport contains an electronic chip, enabling electronic cancellation. This fact would be made known to most immigration offices at airports and land borders. However there is one border crossing into Cambodia where they do not scan passports on either side....................................if you fancy getting away whilst waiting an eternity for a new passport.!

Thats a joke, MH370 was a perfect example of how non existent immigration checks are around SEA. They may scan passports but you can bet your bottom dollar its only for their own records, there won't be any database checks.

Thanks very much for the info!

Being able to keep my old passport, as opposed to having a temporary document, I think is much better, despite being unable to use it to travel.

Yes, my idea is to get onto the 60 days and apply asap.

I sure hope I'm lucky to get the new passport back fast (I doubt it) or visa extension on my old one will go smoothly because I have some visa exempt stamps. If they make a fuss about that maybe I would be forced to let them know I am still waiting for a valid document!

It's my own stupid fault for assuming decades of border runs (for other people) would not get tightened right after I took time out after my last job; and my own stupid fault for not organising the passport sooner, rather than going through a passport change at the same time as looking for new work.

If I can get out of this alive and don't learn my lessons I'll definitely deserve everything I get the next time. I've been here long enough to know better than to assume things won't change.

You can apply for an emergency travel document when you make the application, costs 95 pound

https://www.gov.uk/emergency-travel-document

Edited by mcfester

One of the problems is an inflexible one size fits all policy. I can't see why the postal service via Liverpool should be a closed door for people with mobility or any health related issues if accompanied with a certified doctors/hospital letter. The only concession seems to be collection can be made by a nominee requested at the beginning of the application process.

There are bound to be many expats unaware of the recent changes to the new procedures and will inevitably fall foul of them. It seems the best policy is to apply in plenty of time and check the procedures of the local immigration office as to whether a letter from the embassy is required to certify the new passport. If I make it to 71 I just hope alzheimers hasn't kicked in. If I make it to 81 I think I will be beyond caring. They wouldn't deport an 81 year old...would they???

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Kasikorn Bank Visa debit card declined...twice! My card is activated for online shopping/cyber banking. After false assurances from customer services and my local bank it appears that this type of card is NOT an acceptable form of payment. HMPO process the payment as a "mail order" and Kasikorn only allow online shopping with the card. Two different things. So even though the card says electronic use it would seem not for a UK passport. Beware. My nightmare application which began on 26/3/2014 continues....

You can use a Kasikorn virtual card though, there are a few posts confirming this, and I used mine to successfully renew my passport last year.

Thank-you Oldgit for that. Payment just went through. (Also, just as a pointer to others; don't forget to set a limit on the virtual card as it is set to 0 by default.) You saved me a few bob in T/T fees. It's strange but did you know that they wanted me to send the payment to an American bank (CITI-Canary Wharf). What's wrong with a British bank?

The physical Visa debit cards don't seem to work. The virtual cards do. A little birdy told me the Finance dept HMPO telephone number is +44 151 471 4302.

One of the problems is an inflexible one size fits all policy. I can't see why the postal service via Liverpool should be a closed door for people with mobility or any health related issues if accompanied with a certified doctors/hospital letter. The only concession seems to be collection can be made by a nominee requested at the beginning of the application process.

There are bound to be many expats unaware of the recent changes to the new procedures and will inevitably fall foul of them. It seems the best policy is to apply in plenty of time and check the procedures of the local immigration office as to whether a letter from the embassy is required to certify the new passport. If I make it to 71 I just hope alzheimers hasn't kicked in. If I make it to 81 I think I will be beyond caring. They wouldn't deport an 81 year old...would

Of course it makes sense if you are elderly or disabled living in the North or South of Thailand to be allowed to send your documents by courier.But the spokesperson from the HMPO Newport used every trick in the book and fine tuned the laws of Thailand stating that you had to have your passport in your possession at all times contradicting the VFS statement that you can nominate someone to collect your passport.Giving proof that this is a complete shambles and they would rather hide their head in the sand.

I hope you aren't beyond caring when you reach 81 and then you can look forward to receiving your FREE passport when you reach the grand old age of 85.

But the only problem if you live in the North of Thailand your FREE passport could entail a 4,000 kilometre journey with a cost of 4 or 5 hundred quid to collect your FREE passport

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Sorry to hear you got turned away.

It certainly is not the norm and might have been a mistake by the officer. The norm is that with a tourist visa you could have done it at the airport. Did you try to speak to a superior?

(and yes, the embassy is closed tomorrow).

Edit:

Try to do it today at immirgation. The letter might not be needed for a British passport with a tourist visa.

What about a Non-Imm extension of stay? Can i just leave with the 2 passports or is it necessary to get the latter then go to the immigration office to have it moved over tot he new passport?

Finally sorted. I went to the British Embassy this morning with old and new passports. They just give you a form letter where you fill in the blanks with your own name and passport details - they then stamp and sign the letter. Free of charge. In and out within about 10-15 minutes.

I took that letter to Immigration in Lad Phrao along with passport photos, both passports and 1900 baht for the 7-day extension - they told me what to photocopy from each passport, transferred the stamp and added the extension to my new passport. In and out within about four and a half hours.

So just to reiterate - whether it's official policy or not, immigration can refuse to transfer your stamp into your new passport at the airport, and can refuse to transfer it at all without a letter from the British Embassy.

Thanks for the good news! BTW, does that form at the British Embassy have a name? I will have to go and ask for it soon i think, lol

It certainly is not the norm and might have been a mistake by the officer. The norm is that with a tourist visa you could have done it at the airport. Did you try to speak to a superior?

Edit:

Try to do it today at immirgation. The letter might not be needed for a British passport with a tourist visa.

What about a Non-Imm extension of stay? Can i just leave with the 2 passports or is it necessary to get the latter then go to the immigration office to have it moved over tot he new passport?

Extensions of stay of a non-immigrant visa must be transferred to the new passport at an immigraiton office. They will not do it at the border.

Edit:

If you have an extension of stay you need to have your stamps transferred at immigration before leaving. Whether you need the letter from the embassy or not will depend upon your assigned offices policy.

Finally sorted. I went to the British Embassy this morning with old and new passports. They just give you a form letter where you fill in the blanks with your own name and passport details - they then stamp and sign the letter. Free of charge. In and out within about 10-15 minutes.

I took that letter to Immigration in Lad Phrao along with passport photos, both passports and 1900 baht for the 7-day extension - they told me what to photocopy from each passport, transferred the stamp and added the extension to my new passport. In and out within about four and a half hours.

So just to reiterate - whether it's official policy or not, immigration can refuse to transfer your stamp into your new passport at the airport, and can refuse to transfer it at all without a letter from the British Embassy.

Thanks for the good news! BTW, does that form at the British Embassy have a name? I will have to go and ask for it soon i think, lol

I did this by email & they post the letter to you, free of charge. it takes about a week.

[email protected] scan and email photo page both passports. Tell them date you entered Thailand also what visa you have,

also full address so they can send letter to you, it is sent ems so someone needs to be in to sign for it. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

A week is a luxury we may not have. I do a border hop on the 25th (non o have to leave every 90 days) then I have my appointment at Trendy on the 27th then its taking at least 8 weeks maybe longer before I have to go back to Bangkok to collect then get out again hopefully before 90 days is up. Better getting the letter whilst in Bangkok to be sure.

Edit:

If you have an extension of stay you need to have your stamps transferred at immigration before leaving. Whether you need the letter from the embassy or not will depend upon your assigned offices policy.

So when I finally get my passport I will need to go to immigration, explain why i am already overstay, transfer my current visa into my new passport and then leave the country so that i can then change to a tourist visa?

So when I finally get my passport I will need to go to immigration, explain why i am already overstay, transfer my current visa into my new passport and then leave the country so that i can then change to a tourist visa?

Yes you will and have to pay an overstay fine of 500 baht a day up to the maximum of 20K baht.

see my last post. your card needs to have been registered with visa, check with the bank

• Like 1