Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thought I'd report my passport renewal experience.

Applied for appointment 27/12/14

I got reply 29/12/14, appointment made for 7/1/15

Submitted application in about 5 mins at Trendy on the day so all very quick.

Got a call on 23/1/15 to say passport was ready for collection.

Was in office for about 2 minutes when I collected the passport today.

All very quick and much easier than anticipated.

Who do you contact to make the appointment. Thanks for the info BTW

You need to send email here: [email protected]

Give them 3 available dates you can attend

You can get all info here https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

In the required documents section for proof of address I used my house rental contract (translated to English) because it is all I have. This is not on their list, but was accepted with no problems.

Who did accept the address proof letter, the Trendy office in Bangkok, or the HMPO in Liverpool. ?.

It was accepted by Trendy and HMPO in Liverpool with no questions asked.

I got house rental contract translated to English and on the day I brought with me the original house contract, a coloured copy of the original contract and the original translation. They checked the translated version against the original stamping it as checked and correct. They gave me back the original and kept the coloured copy in Thai and the English translation to go with application.

I got house rental contract translated to English and on the day I brought with me the original house contract, a coloured copy of the original contract and the original translation. They checked the translated version against the original stamping it as checked and correct. They gave me back the original and kept the coloured copy in Thai and the English translation to go with application.

I am intrigued to see the phrase "they checked....stamping it as checked and correct".

They have become smarter since they processed my renewal last year. Trendy did no checking and certainly did certify anything. They asked me if what I gave them was what I wanted to send by way of proof of address. They were simply a post box and were not skilled to check the validity of anything.

If they have become smarter I am delighted.

I am intrigued to see the phrase "they checked....stamping it as checked and correct".

They have become smarter since they processed my renewal last year. Trendy did no checking and certainly did certify anything. They asked me if what I gave them was what I wanted to send by way of proof of address. They were simply a post box and were not skilled to check the validity of anything.

If they have become smarter I am delighted.

lol there must have been some training happening then, the girl who dealt with me checked everything I gave her. She definitely stamped the translation as checked and correct or something like that. She also checked through the application form I assume to make sure I had not missed anything.

Trendy now have a dedicated office which comprises 5 small booths with glass screens all arranged in a line behind a glass security locked door , now completely separate from the visa area., it is in the corner of VFS, straight ahead when you go through the security scanner, they now give you a queue number and there are a couple of sofas and some one from inside hangs around outside offering help.

The passport area is narrow and the booths/counters are all small, but it is adequate and personal.

Intriguingly there is a sign on the wall which simply states "HMPO Bangkok".

Efficiency has certainly improved by an order of magnitude and most staff now seem to speak an acceptable level of English for their appointed role.

I made a successful multiple application in November for three children (two of my own aged 6,3 and a friend's child aged 1).

The staff now check the application carefully and have a check list which itemises supplied supporting documents (you are given a copy of this list).

Payment details are just accepted as offered and noted accordingly, no checking/verification is done in this area.

They read the supporting documents and now definitely check as much as they can that they are in order and supplied according to requirements.

There are still some problem issues which I will document under separate posts, but generally, after almost one year, trendy are now starting to offer the minimum level of service I would have expected from day one.

One major issue still outstanding at trendy is that for some reason they open then reseal the DHL passport package, which is personally addressed to the applicant and for which one has paid 23.01 GPB courier fee.

I have now done 4 passport applications at trendy and all four packages had been opened then resealed.

When I first dealt with trendy they opened the DHL package in front of me which they tried to throw away but which I asked to keep. When I got home, I noticed that the non tear off side of the package had been opened then resealed with clear tape.

The passport envelope inside had been spilt open at the side with a knife.

When I applied again the first application was ready by late November and was collected by my friend whom I had alerted to this problem, he noticed that the package had been similarly pre opened at the RHS of the tear off slip (which one pulls from the left to right of the whole package top).

When I collected my two children's' passports in January (delayed over two months by an HMPO Liverpool cock up) I asked specifically to open the packages myself as they were addressed to me not VFS trendy.

I found the same issue with both packages having been pre opened at the RHS of the tear strip then resealed with tape marked "VFS Global Please do not open if the seal is broken. - see photos below:

I only removed the LHS part of the seal to leave the tampered section clearly visible.

The covert opening of the packages is extremely suspicious and has been done in a manner where most would be unaware as to the tampering.

Certainly the desk clerk still insisted on then holding and checking the new passports once I had opened the packages.

I still have all four DHL envelopes and now intend to formally complain to HMPO regarding this tampering process.

Who knows what is being done with our new passports or the reason why.

post-51519-0-43129200-1422547978_thumb.j

post-51519-0-37949800-1422548065_thumb.j

Edited by digitalchromakey
  • Like 1

This is a 100 page thread so sorry if this has been asked a million times.

Can I apply for a new UK passport still at the BKK embassy or do I have to go to Hong Kong/back to the UK to get one?

If you can produce documents to prove that you live in Thailand, then you must apply at VFS trendy Bangkok or else return to the UK.

The British Embassy (under the Foreign Office) no longer has responsibility for overseas UK passport issue which now lies solely with Home Office and their agents in Thailand (VFS trendy).

You can no longer apply in Hong Kong, unless you can prove that you live there.

Passports for UK citizens in Thailand are now issued via HMPO Liverpool.

From my experience recently I can have no complaints about my passport renewal. Very fast process and the staff at Trendy very friendly and checking all my application was correct. I was expecting a nightmare after reading previous problems people have had. I suspect come summer time the nightmare will return with crazy waiting times because they never learn their lesson and each year it seems to get worse at that time.

My only complaint would be that we cannot add pages to our passports. I still had 5 years left on mine and only needed a new one because all pages where used up. My American friend can walk into their embassy and get pages added in only a day or 2 from my understanding so it can't be a difficult task to do. I'm sure if they introduced that it would ease the pressure and cut waiting times for issuing new passports at peak times of year

My only complaint would be that we cannot add pages to our passports. I still had 5 years left on mine and only needed a new one because all pages where used up. My American friend can walk into their embassy and get pages added in only a day or 2

Not for much longer for your American friend.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/791573-us-dept-of-state-no-more-extra-passport-pages/

Trendy now have a dedicated office which comprises 5 small booths with glass screens all arranged in a line behind a glass security locked door , now completely separate from the visa area., it is in the corner of VFS, straight ahead when you go through the security scanner, they now give you a queue number and there are a couple of sofas and some one from inside hangs around outside offering help.

The passport area is narrow and the booths/counters are all small, but it is adequate and personal.

Efficiency has certainly improved by an order of magnitude and most staff now seem to speak an acceptable level of English for their appointed role.

I made a successful multiple application in November for three children (two of my own aged 6,3 and a friend's child aged 1).

The staff now check the application carefully and have a check list which itemises supplied supporting documents (you are given a copy of this list).

Payment details are just accepted as offered and noted accordingly, no checking/verification is done in this area.

They read the supporting documents and now definitely check as much as they can that they are in order and supplied according to requirements.

There are still some problem issues which I will document under separate posts, but generally, after almost one year, trendy are now starting to offer the minimum level of service I would have expected from day one.

What type of postage are Trendy using to send the passport application forms to HMPO in Liverpool, and are applicants required to place the application form into a large envelope for Trendy to sent them to Liverpool.

What type of postage are Trendy using to send the passport application forms to HMPO in Liverpool, and are applicants required to place the application form into a large envelope for Trendy to sent them to Liverpool.

DHL Courier (they give you a tracking number); trendy just take the application papers then package them themselves.

DHL Courier (they give you a tracking number); trendy just take the application papers then package them themselves.

Finally got confirmation that they made a mistake with my son's passport:

Dear XXXXXX,

Thank you for your enquiry regarding your son’s passport application.

I am truly sorry for the inconvenience caused in this matter, however you will have to provide the following:

A short covering letter stating the mistake made,

Incorrect passport

Two recent passport photographs

A new completed application form

Any further information, please contact us through our helpline on 0300 222 0000 or via E-mail [email protected].

Kind Regards

XXXXXXXX

Liverpool Contact Centre

Her Majesty's Passport Office

What I found amusing was that they did not give me the address to which I am supposed to send the passport. So I sent an email asking whether I should submit it via the Bangkok Passport Center (Trendy) or send it by registered mail to Liverpool. But no answer to date.

Finally got confirmation that they made a mistake with my son's passport:

Dear XXXXXX,

Thank you for your enquiry regarding your son’s passport application.

I am truly sorry for the inconvenience caused in this matter, however you will have to provide the following:

A short covering letter stating the mistake made,

Incorrect passport

Two recent passport photographs

A new completed application form

Any further information, please contact us through our helpline on 0300 222 0000 or via E-mail [email protected].

Kind Regards

XXXXXXXX

Liverpool Contact Centre

Her Majesty's Passport Office

What I found amusing was that they did not give me the address to which I am supposed to send the passport. So I sent an email asking whether I should submit it via the Bangkok Passport Center (Trendy) or send it by registered mail to Liverpool. But no answer to date.

So it looks like they have owned up to their mistake but expect you to go through the application process again, presumably without any requirement for a fee.

It looks like they will expect you to take the costs of an extra 2x BKK round trips on the chin; these guys have little to no idea as to the inconvenience of the process!

Obviously, fingers crossed for you that this is not the case.

I assume you don't have to pre-pay now, just download and fill in the on-line form..........?

No prepay. You fill in the form and submit it with your application. When they get your application in the UK they charge the fee to your card.

• Like 1

I assume you don't have to pre-pay now, just download and fill in the on-line form..........?

No prepay. You fill in the form and submit it with your application. When they get your application in the UK they charge the fee to your card.

GarryP's case is special as HMPO issued in error a 5 year replacement passport for his 25 year old son (rather than 10 years) and he now is being asked to follow an as yet unclear process to obtain a replacement (which presumably will be FOC)..

GarryP's case is special as HMPO issued in error a 5 year replacement passport for his 25 year old son (rather than 10 years) and he now is being asked to follow an as yet unclear process to obtain a replacement (which presumably will be FOC)..

Just received an email this morning to send the passport directly to Liverpool by registrered. They were kind enough NOT to provide the address. So it has been sent and I will wait with bated breath to hear back from them.

Edited by GarryP

Anyone got news on adult passport renewal turnaround time since the new year? I have my appointment at Trendy on 10th Feb (they confirmed within an hour of me asking for "first possible date"), what's a good guess for when I will get my passport back? ... presuming I don't mess anything up of course tongue.png

My current visa expires 4th March so I'm expecting a bit of overstay - just don't want it running into many weeks .....

The sad thing is my passport doesn't expire until 2020 - it's just full!! Think I should get a jumbo one this time smile.png

Also, planning to use my Thai daughters Kasikorn Bank's "K-Web Shopping" Card for payment, as people say this works, but the Trendy email states "Only the passport applicant is permitted entry to the application centre." - how can she sign for the payment if she isn't allowed in ?!?

Edited by pete66

Anyone got news on adult passport renewal turnaround time since the new year? I have my appointment at Trendy on 10th Feb (they confirmed within an hour of me asking for "first possible date"), what's a good guess for when I will get my passport back? ... presuming I don't mess anything up of course tongue.png

My current visa expires 4th March so I'm expecting a bit of overstay - just don't want it running into many weeks .....

The sad thing is my passport doesn't expire until 2020 - it's just full!! Think I should get a jumbo one this time smile.png

Also, planning to use my Thai daughters Kasikorn Bank's "K-Web Shopping" Card for payment, as people say this works, but the Trendy email states "Only the passport applicant is permitted entry to the application centre." - how can she sign for the payment if she isn't allowed in ?!?

Recent reports are running ta 2-3 weeks.

Payment is done by filling in a downloadable form which is the filled out and signed by the card holder, payment is not taken at trendy, it is taken at HMPO Liverpool where the KWeb Shopping Card has worked in the past.

• Like 1

Sorry I am sure this info is buried in here somewhere..

any help / tips / guidance and how to get to Trendy on the BTS ?

also is the translation and photo place on the ground floor ??

thanks

Get off at Nanai BTS walk east about 200m, Soi Sukhumvit 13 is on your left going north.

Yes, translation and photo service shops are available on ground floor, please note that these agencies are not connected to VFS trendy in anyway.

Perhaps it's not the best approach in leaving something so important as passport photos and translations until the last minute?

thanks

Get off at Nanai BTS walk east about 200m, Soi Sukhumvit 13 is on your left going north.

Yes, translation and photo service shops are available on ground floor, please note that these agencies are not connected to VFS trendy in anyway.

Perhaps it's not the best approach in leaving something so important as passport photos and translations until the last minute?

Thanks and yeah agree not good to leave it to the last minute, was just thinking of a recon to go check it out before my appointment so might get the translation done then ....

How far down Soi 13 is it ? Is it easy to spot ? is it called Trendy ? thanks again

Recent reports are running ta 2-3 weeks.

Payment is done by filling in a downloadable form which is the filled out and signed by the card holder, payment is not taken at trendy, it is taken at HMPO Liverpool where the KWeb Shopping Card has worked in the past.

Many thanks. That is encouraging. I am certainly going to try the KWeb Shopping card and hope that works. What happens if payment is rejected in the UK? You don't have to go back to Trendy do you with another form? I live in Chiang Mai so wouldn't want to have to make repeated trips.

thanks

Thanks and yeah agree not good to leave it to the last minute, was just thinking of a recon to go check it out before my appointment so might get the translation done then ....

How far down Soi 13 is it ? Is it easy to spot ? is it called Trendy ? thanks again

Around 100m on the right, first big building - it's called Trendy Building (or Tower?) and is set back a little from the road up a few steps.

To get to VFS, you go to the lifts right at the back (not on the RHS) to get to the 28th Floor.

From my experience recently I can have no complaints about my passport renewal. Very fast process and the staff at Trendy very friendly and checking all my application was correct. I was expecting a nightmare after reading previous problems people have had. I suspect come summer time the nightmare will return with crazy waiting times because they never learn their lesson and each year it seems to get worse at that time.

My only complaint would be that we cannot add pages to our passports. I still had 5 years left on mine and only needed a new one because all pages where used up. My American friend can walk into their embassy and get pages added in only a day or 2 from my understanding so it can't be a difficult task to do. I'm sure if they introduced that it would ease the pressure and cut waiting times for issuing new passports at peak times of year

The passport procedure has improved because the Home Office which took over the HMPO in order to change the messy procedure that took place in the past and has engaged many more staff in order to deal with a better passport procedure.

In addition, people that need their passports for their summer holiday travel will make the application before the summer time so that there passport is available well before their summer holiday departure abroad.

Just to be sure .... if the payment is rejected in the UK, what is the procedure for making a new payment? Is it via Trendy office or can you talk directly to UK?

Someone from the revenue dept will contact you - first by email then after a few hours by phone .. Why should the payment be rejected ?

ETS: From the UK - it's a very efficient department and very helpful too, they are aware of difficulties and have solutions. They will give you a direct line number, even get someone to deal with them on your behalf.

Ok - I understand now, yeah, stop worrying - the kcyber route is fine. I didn't have this card/number when my card was refused, I got contact from the UK revenue office, I applied for a v-card and then forwarded my details to my father who used it on my behalf over the phone. I was concerned like you and wanted instant verification. Really nothing to worry about.

Edited by recom273