US Dept of State "No more extra passport pages".

arunsakda

Just got a message from my company that beginning in 2016 extra pages will no longer be added to any US passport, and to take action early if warranted. I can't see the justification for this additional hassle and expense, system has worked fine forever. Queue the typical bleatings of "security" considerations.

I have received pages overnight US Embassy, Tokyo. Same day service at LA Federal building. Probably look into getting them here soon. My passport is filling up fast with immigration chops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did not say any official made a public announcement. I cannot disseminate any internal communications here, but to paraphrase it read "The State Department has advised that no more pages will be added", etc.

Below I pasted something I just found on Reddit. Seems to be legit, HK sounds like a place to get it done painlessly.

Oh well, I can expense it anyway.

-----------------------------------

Just got an update through from the State Dept in Hong Kong that reads;

Extra Passport Pages to be Discontinued – The State Department announced that, beginning January 1, 2016 [Yes, that’s 2016 – i.e., more than one year from now], additional sets of pages will no longer be added to any U.S. passport. If you’re a frequent traveler – and we know there’re a lot of you out there – you might consider renewing your passport sometime in 2015 and then applying for two sets of extra pages at the same time. This will give you up to 85 pages for visas and entry/exit stamps in a single passport. You could apply for a third and final set of extra pages for a grand total of 107 pages.

We will continue to offer same-day service for extra passport pages throughout 2015, so, if you’re a frequent traveler or just like the idea of having a thick passport, please schedule an appointment through our online scheduling website at: http://hongkong.usconsulate.gov/acs_passports_add_pages.html.

I did not say any official made a public announcement. I cannot disseminate any internal communications here, but to paraphrase it read "The State Department has advised that no more pages will be added", etc.

Below I pasted something I just found on Reddit. Seems to be legit, HK sounds like a place to get it done painlessly.

Oh well, I can expense it anyway.

-----------------------------------

Just got an update through from the State Dept in Hong Kong that reads;

Extra Passport Pages to be Discontinued – The State Department announced that, beginning January 1, 2016 [Yes, that’s 2016 – i.e., more than one year from now], additional sets of pages will no longer be added to any U.S. passport. If you’re a frequent traveler – and we know there’re a lot of you out there – you might consider renewing your passport sometime in 2015 and then applying for two sets of extra pages at the same time. This will give you up to 85 pages for visas and entry/exit stamps in a single passport. You could apply for a third and final set of extra pages for a grand total of 107 pages.

We will continue to offer same-day service for extra passport pages throughout 2015, so, if you’re a frequent traveler or just like the idea of having a thick passport, please schedule an appointment through our online scheduling website at: http://hongkong.usconsulate.gov/acs_passports_add_pages.html.

I never said you said an official made an announcement. The websites I Googled, including the reddit site you found, said that the State Department had announced it. Someone always makes an announcement.

"...beginning January 1, 2016 [Yes, thats 2016 i.e., more than one year from now],..."

I think my calendar is broke.

$82. for extra pages is almost what a new pp costs.

Does anyone else think this is just the beginning of what will turn out to be the norm? Exorbitant fees/price hikes and possible bank bail ins? What else can a country that is broke and going over a financial cliff do? If you believe the bogus news of how the US economy is recovering ... well let's just wait and see, I'm not buying it.

"...beginning January 1, 2016 [Yes, thats 2016 i.e., more than one year from now],..."

I think my calendar is broke.

$82. for extra pages is almost what a new pp costs.

Does anyone else think this is just the beginning of what will turn out to be the norm? Exorbitant fees/price hikes and possible bank bail ins? What else can a country that is broke and going over a financial cliff do? If you believe the bogus news of how the US economy is recovering ... well let's just wait and see, I'm not buying it.

The US is just catching up with countries in the rest of world, for example you haven't been able to add pages to a British pp for many many years, and have a look at the price of new one

This is messed up. I'm on a contract with DoS where the country I work in takes up a whole visa page with a sticker for the multi-entry visa a la Cambodia. If the government decides to not issue a yearly visa, than it's a full page sticker each time I enter, or 3 pages used a year Then the entry and exit stamps take up another page and a half for that country alone. Add in the page and half for Thai entry stamps and I'm using 4 pages a year. If the family and I travel anywhere else, that adds at least half a page each trip. I got a new passport in September; there are 17 pages for visas and 3 for amendments. I've already used 4 pages and don't even have the yearly visa sticker in it yet. That's coming in May. My old passport, which I received in 2005, had 14 pages for visas and 3 for amendments. Added in pages twice, the first got me 24 additional pages (A-X) and the second got me 22. So, over 9 years I used up 60 visa pages. Guess I'll have to get a double pages added to last me for the next 8 years...if we as a family don't travel anywhere else!

I guess it just bothers me that an id is issued for x years and is good to be used for that whole timeframe. I realise that a passport is consumable as it is marked through use, but if one is essentially a goodwill ambassador through multiple travel around the globe that should count for something.

This is messed up. I'm on a contract with DoS where the country I work in takes up a whole visa page with a sticker for the multi-entry visa a la Cambodia. If the government decides to not issue a yearly visa, than it's a full page sticker each time I enter, or 3 pages used a year Then the entry and exit stamps take up another page and a half for that country alone. Add in the page and half for Thai entry stamps and I'm using 4 pages a year. If the family and I travel anywhere else, that adds at least half a page each trip. I got a new passport in September; there are 17 pages for visas and 3 for amendments. I've already used 4 pages and don't even have the yearly visa sticker in it yet. That's coming in May. My old passport, which I received in 2005, had 14 pages for visas and 3 for amendments. Added in pages twice, the first got me 24 additional pages (A-X) and the second got me 22. So, over 9 years I used up 60 visa pages. Guess I'll have to get a double pages added to last me for the next 8 years...if we as a family don't travel anywhere else!

I guess it just bothers me that an id is issued for x years and is good to be used for that whole timeframe. I realise that a passport is consumable as it is marked through use, but if one is essentially a goodwill ambassador through multiple travel around the globe that should count for something.

you can get an e-visa for Cambodia = no page wasted

While you're at it when you are renewing your passport spring for the passport card as well. Then you can produce the card when identification is demanded.

So, if I apply for a new passport, presumably at the US Embassy here in BKK, how do my visa and my extensions from Thai Immigration get migrated over?

• 2 weeks later...

"You could apply for a third and final set of extra pages for a grand total of 107 pages."

We poor Brits can only have a measly maximum of 48 pages in our new passports, even with so-called "jumbo" ones! And then we have to contend with the crazy renewal procedures which David Cameron and his Tory/Lib Dem cohorts have inflicted on us!!

You Americans really have it easy on passport renewal matters in comparison to us Brits!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, you can afford to travel to foreign countries so much, your U.S. passport is full of stamps?

And you can't afford a new passport?

You do realize that truly poor people in America can't afford a passport, much less the fare to fly to Thailand???

Not every situation is similar. I won't bore you with my exact situation, but as there is a 2 week window every 4 months where I can take care of passport issues, it's more than just the cost. There's the time element involved (and perhaps your time isn't worth anything, but mine is; especially when it is taken away from my family) as well as the scheduling and travel.

Unless I was lucky, it would involve 2 trips from Nakhon Sawan. That's about 6 hours one way; an hour or so to actually apply/procure the passport and I'm looking at an overnighter. Added unnecessary costs.

And don't try to turn this into a "think of the poor people". I grew up poor. Dirt poor in farmer country with a whole bunch of issues that are neither here or now. I am not rich by any stretch of the imagination, but I sure am not going to go back to living like that! If I can work my way out of that anyone can.

As the passport is supposedly valid for 10 years, I don't approve of the fact that they are in apparently ensuring that it is not valid that whole time. And from the responses it doesn't seem to be an edge case either. A person enters into a contract; they agree to pay the fee for an identity document that has a validity of 10 years. The last time I obtained a passport it lasted close enough not to bother me. It appears that the one I have now won't. The DoS wouldn't appreciate me only paying how much I felt the document was worth; why are they in the right to renege on their side?

Wow, you can afford to travel to foreign countries so much, your U.S. passport is full of stamps?

And you can't afford a new passport?

You do realize that truly poor people in America can't afford a passport, much less the fare to fly to Thailand???

Not every situation is similar. I won't bore you with my exact situation, but as there is a 2 week window every 4 months where I can take care of passport issues, it's more than just the cost. There's the time element involved (and perhaps your time isn't worth anything, but mine is; especially when it is taken away from my family) as well as the scheduling and travel.

Unless I was lucky, it would involve 2 trips from Nakhon Sawan. That's about 6 hours one way; an hour or so to actually apply/procure the passport and I'm looking at an overnighter. Added unnecessary costs.

And don't try to turn this into a "think of the poor people". I grew up poor. Dirt poor in farmer country with a whole bunch of issues that are neither here or now. I am not rich by any stretch of the imagination, but I sure am not going to go back to living like that! If I can work my way out of that anyone can.

As the passport is supposedly valid for 10 years, I don't approve of the fact that they are in apparently ensuring that it is not valid that whole time. And from the responses it doesn't seem to be an edge case either. A person enters into a contract; they agree to pay the fee for an identity document that has a validity of 10 years. The last time I obtained a passport it lasted close enough not to bother me. It appears that the one I have now won't. The DoS wouldn't appreciate me only paying how much I felt the document was worth; why are they in the right to renege on their side?

I just counted the pages in my US passport: 20.

This is a new passport, since my previous one was stolen by the police in South America.

On one page is my Thai visa, good for 3 entries or 6 months. On the other page are entry and exit stamps. It appears that the entry and exit stamps for 3 entries will take up 2 pages.

So, if I only travel to Thailand, once a year, for 6 months each year=3 pages/year.

That means my US passport will last 6 years and will have two pages left over for additional trips.

Get a grip. You're whining about something you only have to do once every 6 years. Either you're bad at math--or you're blowing a lot of money traveling outside Thailand frequently.

Grow up.

I just counted the pages in my US passport: 20.

This is a new passport, since my previous one was stolen by the police in South America.

On one page is my Thai visa, good for 3 entries or 6 months. On the other page are entry and exit stamps. It appears that the entry and exit stamps for 3 entries will take up 2 pages.

So, if I only travel to Thailand, once a year, for 6 months each year=3 pages/year.

That means my US passport will last 6 years and will have two pages left over for additional trips.

Get a grip. You're whining about something you only have to do once every 6 years. Either you're bad at math--or you're blowing a lot of money traveling outside Thailand frequently.

Grow up.

You're making assumptions. Some people work overseas. So there are visas, entry/exit stamps from the host country as well as from transit countries.

And it's funny that you have enough money to travel to SA and then complain about the rest of us not thinking about the poor people.

• 1 month later...

I tried peeling off old stickers, all of which came off in one piece to make room for about 6 more pages, and got busted for it.

That's why they stamp them half the stamp on the sticker and half on the page. I did not think it would matter since they were old expired stickers from long ago.

Don't go that route. Major hassles at the airport with customs, and detained.

• 8 months later...

Can you have 24 pages added if you already have a 52 page US passport (if you apply by Dec 31, 2015)? Or is 52 pages the maximum number allowed?

Yes. A few months ago I did just that. I had a 52 page passport and they added pages.

In fact they added two sets of 24 pages each. I now have a 100 page passport.

I didn't ask for the extra set but maybe they have so many that they will have to destroy that they would rather give away a few extra sets.

Archived