Motorcycle Instructors (Not USA MSF Idiots)

Albertnobgammer

just experience and experience. it is the key. Also always wear proper gear which give you more confidence.

I learned riding by myself and received no help.

But, read some literature about dynamics of a motorcycle and riding and attend training courses such as Hondas. These will make your learning curve faster and the need of long years of experience a bit less.

Moreover, if your bike has an ABS, it will not be sliding under braking and you will not be losing front end easily. and ABS will prevent all the problems you mentioned and make you safer at places you have less confidence such as wet, gravel etc.

Try to get a bike with ABS if possible. it is a great safety net for motorcyclists and especially for beginners which IMO has to be mandatory at all bikes. cbr250r have ABS version too.

good luck.

'II2' makes some good points.....................But be aware ABS will not activate under a certain speed, I think around 6 MPH, so maneuvering on gravel/sand, loose surface at slow speed and grabbing a hand-full of lever will see you face down in the scenery.

If your bike ha ABS, check your user manual for the ABS activation start point......

just experience and experience. it is the key. Also always wear proper gear which give you more confidence.

But, read some literature about dynamics of a motorcycle and riding and attend training courses such as Hondas. These will make your learning curve faster and the need of long years of experience a bit less.

Moreover, if your bike has an ABS, it will not be sliding under braking and you will not be losing front end easily. and ABS will prevent all the problems you mentioned and make you safer at places you have less confidence such as wet, gravel etc.

Try to get a bike with ABS if possible. it is a great safety net for motorcyclists and especially for beginners which IMO has to be mandatory at all bikes. cbr250r have ABS version too.

good luck.

'II2' makes some good points.....................But be aware ABS will not activate under a certain speed, I think around 6 MPH, so maneuvering on gravel/sand, loose surface at slow speed and grabbing a hand-full of lever will see you face down in the scenery.

If your bike ha ABS, check your user manual for the ABS activation start point......

it will start to activate after 10 kph but only after the ignition. So, once you pass 10 kph and if you do not shut off your bike, it will stay activated all the time even below 10 kph.

I think all your fears are very rational, Riding a bike is dangerous even more so in Thailand, maybe as you get older you get slower and more nervous too (well that's what my Dad says), if I was you would practice practice practice. Find a place you can go and work on slow maneuvers, over and over again, and repeat in the wet, any thing you like. You will get more confident in time

Hello mate. Good tyres, as has already been said will give you more confidence in the wet. Also, try to relax when you're on the bike(I appreciate that this is easier said than done) but if you are relaxed your manoevering of the bike will be smoother. Practice is the key as the lads on here have already said. The more you ride in the wet the more confident you will become over time.

good luck.

it will start to activate after 10 kph but only after the ignition. So, once you pass 10 kph and if you do not shut off your bike, it will stay activated all the time even below 10 kph.

Hey ... on a slightly different note.

I've never owned a Bike with ABS.

What are they like to ride?

Both brakes operated by the hand or the foot ... either?

Operates on both wheels?

good luck.

Hey ... on a slightly different note.

I've never owned a Bike with ABS.

What are they like to ride?

Both brakes operated by the hand or the foot ... either?

Operates on both wheels?

it works on both wheels and naturally operated with hand and foot.

it is a great safety net for bikes and statistics prove it, especially for newbies.

i believe, hardest thing to master on a motorbike are the breaks so abs is great.

learned to use a motorbike without and abs and rode long years without one but once i got my first abs bike, i decided i will never buy a bike again without one, even for track use.

(and sorry cannot hold myself, but regarding your utopia, never mix best of the west and thailand or you spoil them both! just leave them alone and think them alone as diversity)

• Like 2

good luck.

Fair enough II2, if you are correct and I've no course to disbelieve you........ Old dogs can learn new tricks.....(thats me by the way) Have to say.....I'm old school, I just don't trust ABS.......Not the fact it may not work, but I've been riding so long without it, (first time I've had it on my CB500X) I will not in an emergency 'stamp on the brakes'.... Just wouldn't do it.....Anyone else understand what I'm saying?

good luck.

Fair enough II2, if you are correct and I've no course to disbelieve you........ Old dogs can learn new tricks.....(thats me by the way) Have to say.....I'm old school, I just don't trust ABS.......Not the fact it may not work, but I've been riding so long without it, (first time I've had it on my CB500X) I will not in an emergency 'stamp on the brakes'.... Just wouldn't do it.....Anyone else understand what I'm saying?

i also trust nothing but myself tonto as a life philosophy.

learned braking without abs so even if my bike has abs, i still do my braking same as before. so it rarely gets activated. only when i want nearly.

still, it is good to know that it is there in a f....u...ed up situation and it never goes wrong.

Never had a bike with ABS and all the other lists of aids myself but mates have and i've tried it.

I think that these are a good ''back up'' devices if you stuff up.

To me all these new gizzmos are mostly benificial, no doubt about that, but i feel that they take the purity and soul out of riding a bike.

Mostly i own what are more likely called muscle bikes and my tricked up XJR1300 [125 nms of torque is to me the best one.I have had 5 different ones over the years and love the simplicity and awesum torquey motor.

No computor aids at all just you and your input skills dictating what the bike does at all times.

I don't want or need traction control.anti wheelie, anti this that and all the other gizzmos

People learning to ride on these new bikes with all these aids are missing out on the real riding experiences in my opinion and will never get to learn true riding skills.

Humans learn by their mistakes and if your mistakes are covered up by a computor you will never realise what you did wrong so you dont get to learn to not repeat the mistake.

I have a mate who brought a high tech bike a year or so ago and i have noticed he has become quite radical and appearing careless in his riding style.

When we talked about it he agreed and said yes because he khows the comp aids will step in and save him if things go wrong and he likes this.

Me, i want to do the decision making myself and let my personal experience dictate what my bike does, and when i want it to.

To me its a lot more spontaneous fun to ride an unadulterated bike of lessor horsepower to the limit than to have larger output and depend on multi aids to ride it and still not use all its power..thats just me!

Each to their own i say, for me no way in the world do i want this stuff, and i agree here with tonto..i do understand what you are saying mate.

No doubt in time all this BS will be made mandatory on bikes>>which they shouldn't be>>should be my choosing yes or no, its basically just to protect the increasing litagation seekers and the ones who need to be protected from themselves .

Edited by garryjohns

Never had a bike with ABS and all the other lists of aids myself but mates have and i've tried it.

To me all these new gizzmos are mostly benificial, no doubt about that, but i feel that they take the purity and soul out of riding a bike.

Mostly i own what are more likely called muscle bikes and my tricked up XJR1300 [125 nms of torque is to me the best one.I have had 5 different ones over the years and love the simplicity and awesum torquey motor.

No computor aids at all just you and your input skills dictating what the bike does at all times.

I don't want or need traction control.anti wheelie, anti this that and all the other gizzmos

People learning to ride on these new bikes with all these aids are missing out on the real riding experiences in my opinion and will never get to learn true riding skills.

Humans learn by their mistakes and if your mistakes are covered up by a computor you will never realise what you did wrong so you dont get to learn to not repeat the mistake.

I have a mate who brought a high tech bike a year or so ago and i have noticed he has become quite radical and appearing careless in his riding style.

When we talked about it he agreed and said yes because he khows the comp aids will step in and save him if things go wrong and he likes this.

Me, i want to do the decision making myself and let my personal experience dictate what my bike does, and when i want it to.

To me its a lot more spontaneous fun to ride an unadulterated bike of lessor horsepower to the limit than to have larger output and depend on multi aids to ride it and still not use all its power..thats just me!

Each to their own i say, for me no way in the world do i want this stuff, and i agree here with tonto..i do understand what you are saying mate.

No doubt in time all this BS will be made mandatory on bikes>>which they shouldn't be>>should be my choosing yes or no, its basically just to protect the increasing litagation seekers and the ones who need to be protected from themselves .

I have just found this biks forum and hello to riders far and wide.Good starting point as bike technology is an old friend of mine.I have been riding only 5 years but am a very safe rider and capable i thought.My first bikes and 2 more have all had at least abs and my newish 600 has many electronioc helpers.In my style i am comfortable with as you call back up devices and as you comment about a freind i am dependent on them also.i never rode a basic bike until recently and rode a buddys litre bike and scared the crap out of myself and nearly lost my life and the bike.Sorry but this is just my own feelings.

I have just found this biks forum and hello to riders far and wide.Good starting point as bike technology is an old friend of mine.I have been riding only 5 years but am a very safe rider and capable i thought.My first bikes and 2 more have all had at least abs and my newish 600 has many electronioc helpers.In my style i am comfortable with as you call back up devices and as you comment about a freind i am dependent on them also.i never rode a basic bike until recently and rode a buddys litre bike and scared the crap out of myself and nearly lost my life and the bike.Sorry but this is just my own feelings.

Sorry i make a error my buddys bike is like streetfighter 1990 suzuki 1100 not litre,

I cant help you i think i learned most by doing when i was young on a low cc bike.

Now im OK but by no means good enough to instruct. I wanted to do some advanced riding lessons in the Netherlands 2 monts ago but it got cancelled.

I just go slower in the rain, had to make some fast stops once in the rain so i know what to expect. It depends on the road and traffic.

Cheers,

I totally understand, all of these guys that seem to ride bikes started when they were 15-18, my mother would never let me try and ride a bike, by the time I was 17 I had a car, I always feel I missed out. Now I am into the old Fart years, it is not so easy to learn. The road sense is easy, same as driving a car, just scan for idiots, scan and scan. I just wish I could get the low speed practice. When I had the XLR I could ride all around my place ( I have 20 Rai, we could jump up hills, ride through mud, all sorts of obstacles, driving between Lime Trees, - if you made a mistake you got your skin ripped off by the thorns. The CBR250 is not a happy bike in these conditions so it is not easy to practice anymore.

i dont understand, you've sloshed about in the mud and fallen off in the dirt?

then you you have some experience

if you want more, you'll have to do the same, get a cheap dirtbike, some full coverage protective gear

and ramp it up, of course you might get hurt, but there's no way around that.

no amount of lesson counts more than seat time in similar conditions you are not so skilled at.

and it seems your lacking confidence, its tricky though, to confident, not good, not confident enough, not good.

i was the opposite to you, my parents were happy to get me out of their hair so they could do their sports

and got me a dirtbike when i was 15, after that they never saw the back of me on weekends or holidays,

they did of course buy me helmet, goggles, gloves, and boots and now 40 odd years later still riding.

cheers

According to Google MSF stands for Motorcycle Safety Foundation

Since 1973, the MSF has set internationally recognized standards that promote the safety of motorcyclists with rider education courses, operator licensing tests, and public information programs. The MSF works with the federal government, state agencies, the military and others to offer training for all skill levels so riders may enjoy a lifetime of safe, responsible motorcycling. The MSF is a not-for-profit organization sponsored by BMW, BRP, Ducati, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Kawasaki, KTM, Piaggio, Suzuki, Triumph, Victory and Yamaha.

source: http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/2/3316/Motorcycle-Article/MSF-Quick-Tips-for-Riders.aspx

But I guess US MSF certification is not good enough for the OP since he only wants: Qualified" Western / Brits/ Aussies or similar to teach him what he doesn't know but is experienced enough to know that he doesn't want anyone from the USA.. Guess he feels that US Motorcyclist drive on the wrong side of the road so they turn differently and cannot teach........

Having read his first post, I plan to stay far away from him. He is an accident waiting to happen.

I've taken the MSF ERC several times (saves on insurance) and I'm amazed at this guys thinking...

12 years old first bike was a Yamaha 60 endure, 40 years of motorcycling (dirt/road) later and about 9 - 10 bikes later, I'm now learning how to stay alive in Thailand... My defensive skills have dramatically increased, but my legal driving skills are now shit...

Use extreme caution on left handers because the thai people making right handers love to come half-way into your lane...they WILL kill you. Use extreme caution when passing on the left (I do NOT pass on the left). Use extreme caution when taking off from a green light... they LOVE to run red lights. Avoid driving at night, NEVER drink and drive. Always wear helmet. Ride your own pace/speed, don't over ride your speed. NEVER look down, look out where you want to go... LEARN what your motorcycle can and cannot do. Do this is a parking lot, learn on a rural road, learn in the rain, learn on the dirt. Always give lots of room, NEVER speed through an intersection of any kind. If it's between you and a 4 wheeler, let them win, you can always pass them later. Make slow lane changes. Keep your line. Do not lock up your brakes or skid, if you do, you've lost control of the bike. This does not apply to dirt riding.

and the list goes on... riding a motorcycle is inherently dangerous, riding one in thailand is risky.

My opinion is; almost all single vehicle motorcycle accidents are avoidable, and many motorcycle accidents that involve another vehicle (when looked at monday morning) have some cause that could have been avoided. It's knowing the many many risk factors involved.

The father of sorts of MSF put out a great book many many years ago. Proficient Motorcycling. Good info in that book.

Edited by Nowisee
  • Like 2

you mean freedom to die?

you mean freedom to die?

Sorry, did you post in the wrong story ?

I f not i don't get what you mean if its in response to my comment.

Freedom to die? I don't think i used the word freedom.

you mean freedom to die?

once i read these, that came to my mind: 'Freedom to die'

Respect your ideas though, please dont get me wrong. Of course we live with our experiences and we like to ride with our own decisions. But, we are not god therefore not invincible.

I was against all these units before too but after seeing many fellow riders kissing the asphalt due to the absence of these units, some just injured but some died, i changed my mind. Especially after using ABS as i was thinking it will interfere with my riding style or my riding experience and make it muddy but no, it is not. It is there just when it is needed and it rarely gets activated for me.

again, if you are good rider and know what you are doing, these back up safety units will never get activated therefore soul is not lost. These safety units will appear once you are in really bad situation where you cannot help yourself and to prevent your 'soul' to leave your body! Please dont tell me though you were never in such situation. Even Moto GP riders go down.

Edited by ll2
  • Like 1

you mean freedom to die?

Respect your ideas though, please dont get me wrong. Of course we live with our experiences and we like to ride with our own decisions. But, we are not god therefore not invincible.

I was against all these units before too but after seeing many fellow riders kissing the asphalt due to the absence of these units, some just injured but some died, i changed my mind. Especially after using ABS as i was thinking it will interfere with my riding style or my riding experience and make it muddy but no, it is not. It is there just when it is needed and it rarely gets activated for me.

again, if you are good rider and know what you are doing, these back up safety units will never get activated therefore soul is not lost. These safety units will appear once you are in really bad situation where you cannot help yourself and to prevent your 'soul' to leave your body! Please dont tell me though you were never in such situation. Even Moto GP riders go down.

Freedom to die? Thats a little melodramatic mate.

Freedom to do as one chooses and making ones own calculated decisions as an intelligent human being and in this instance as an experienced and skilled bike rider has not much relevance to wanting to die.Yes for sure we are not god and definitely must realise that we are not invinceable but man you must be able to make these decisions yourself, thats why humans have evolved as the most able and capable critters on earth at this point of time.

Anyways I don't think you are on the same page as me regarding purity and soul of riding your bike.Refer again to what i said earlier above.Nothing at all to do with your soul leaving your body [which is BS anyway IMO]

What i'm saying is that say my bike wants to wheelstand when i fast accelerate i either let it and power on and continue,if i don't want to wheelstand i just back off the power a little >the bike doing what i choose it to do
If im hard cornering and the rear end starts stepping out i react to that and control it> the bike doing as i choose it to do
If i'm also accelerating hard and the rear wheel starts spinning i will react to that also and control it again the bike doing as i choose it to do
If im' downshifting and hard braking i will control these together and not need a slipper clutch to do it for me
ABS? I can take or leave>again i'd rather not have but no doubt they perform better in certain circumstances again i;d rather ride within my limits and control things with my own ability.
Any experienced rider on a reasonable powered road bike on the road should easily be in control himself without a computer deciding for him.
You make a mistake you learn from it and don't make that mistake again.
If you make a mistake more than once then you should analyse your riding ability and get some professional training>>not rely on a computer to prevent a bad technique to save you from yourself.
However If you choose to ride a very high powered bike which is way beyond the abilities of most regular road riders anyway then you will indeed depend on all these gizzmos.
Comparing road riding to Moto Gp is like apples to oranges IMO .
We all have different ideals>theses are mine.If you feel you need as these aids to make yourself feel safer>fine thats totally your choice.
I play golf and get caught in a storm now and again, but i don't feel the need for a faraday suit to save me in case of a lightning strike>maybe you do again thats your choice.
Enjoy your rides man.
PS what happened to OP??
Edited by garryjohns
  • Like 1

Freedom to die? Thats a little melodramatic mate.

Freedom to do as one chooses and making ones own calculated decisions as an intelligent human being and in this instance as an experienced and skilled bike rider has not much relevance to wanting to die.Yes for sure we are not god and definitely must realise that we are not invinceable but man you must be able to make these decisions yourself, thats why humans have evolved as the most able and capable critters on earth at this point of time.

Anyways I don't think you are on the same page as me regarding purity and soul of riding your bike.Refer again to what i said earlier above.Nothing at all to do with your soul leaving your body [which is BS anyway IMO]

What i'm saying is that say my bike wants to wheelstand when i fast accelerate i either let it and power on and continue,if i don't want to wheelstand i just back off the power a little >the bike doing what i choose it to do
If im hard cornering and the rear end starts stepping out i react to that and control it> the bike doing as i choose it to do
If i'm also accelerating hard and the rear wheel starts spinning i will react to that also and control it again the bike doing as i choose it to do
If im' downshifting and hard braking i will control these together and not need a slipper clutch to do it for me
ABS? I can take or leave>again i'd rather not have but no doubt they perform better in certain circumstances again i;d rather ride within my limits and control things with my own ability.
Any experienced rider on a reasonable powered road bike on the road should easily be in control himself without a computer deciding for him.
You make a mistake you learn from it and don't make that mistake again.
If you make a mistake more than once then you should analyse your riding ability and get some professional training>>not rely on a computer to prevent a bad technique to save you from yourself.
However If you choose to ride a very high powered bike which is way beyond the abilities of most regular road riders anyway then you will indeed depend on all these gizzmos.
Comparing road riding to Moto Gp is like apples to oranges IMO .
We all have different ideals>theses are mine.If you feel you need as these aids to make yourself feel safer>fine thats totally your choice.
I play golf and get caught in a storm now and again, but i don't feel the need for a faraday suit to save me in case of a lightning strike>maybe you do again thats your choice.
Enjoy your rides man.
PS what happened to OP??

happy and safe rides for you too bro.

i am not saying one cannot ride without safety units, this is how we learned to ride bikes, without gizmos.

just we have to be careful though, motorcycling is not something we learn from our mistakes.

We crash once and get injured badly or die at times.

I still believe the best soul is the one stays in your body:)

yes OP long gone:)

with 10% excellent and 90% rubbish its tiresome to weed out the rubbish

Nature of the beast I am afraid.

Learned lots on TV. Also read a lot of drivel from people who seem never to have heard of courtesy and respect.

Another cross to bear in this vale of tears !!!

PS what happened to OP??

Seem to remember the same thing happened on his other thread.

Lives under a bridge I think.

so this was just more thaivisa clickbait?

with 10% excellent and 90% rubbish its tiresome to weed out the rubbish

this is a forum not an encyclopedia so it is normal to get some unrelated things.