Why Does A Successful Intelligent Farang Marry A Bar Girl

terry57

Would they even consider the notion of dating or marrying a prostitue in their home country? Of course not.

My answer is yes if I like her.

You are afraid of what your friends say, yeah? You can't control your life, can you? Even if you know you love a person. I don't blame you. There are strong and weak people in this world. This is a fact.

Answer is easy if you love someone, doesnt matter what their past holds - matters what the future brings. I'd certainly have no problem with it, nor should anyone else. :o

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey

Well said BritMaveric. If you feel the 'connection' I don't think the persons 'occupation' should be part of the overall bigger picture. Everyone to their own. Life IS too short.

Having read all 11 pages of this thread, I am amazed but not surprised at many of the replies.

My thoughts are also with the deceased persons family.

Kind regards

Peter

I think the topic was why does a successful Farang marry a bargirl.

The rebuttal was, because bargirls are no different than any other woman in Thailand who will marry a Farang.

The answer to that was, disbelief.

A number of posters pointed out the extent of prostitution in Thai society.

The answer to that was specific experiences with a number of levels of Thai society that are know to insiders but not the general public.

I am at a loss to know how one can know anything about bargirls without knowing any bargirls.

I am also at a loss to know why people who live here have a hard time understanding the realities of Thai society.

I have learned a lot from this thread. I suppose it all comes down to, do you want an educated, upstanding woman who is chaste and faithful or 12 ladies in a hot tub and a cold beer.

There may have been a point in my life when I wanted the former but now I am happy to spend my golden years with the latter.

What kerryk says about Thai society is true but it is mixing two different things. I think it’s’ fair to say I’m “a successful farang”. I work in Thailand and at times up to very high levels of Thai society. I am aware that if I decided to marry a woman, ex-bg or otherwise, who was from a poor Issan background without higher education, there are assumptions and judgments people would make that would be different than if I married someone from the opposite end of the socioeconomic spectrum. This is a fact of life.

How he got however from this quite obvious statement to one where he says “I have learned a lot from this thread. I suppose it all comes down to, do you want an educated, upstanding woman who is chaste and faithful or 12 ladies in a hot tub and a cold beer.” Is where he, and so many here, veer off into their own dark inner world of prejudices and universally applicable judgments on classes of people that are assumed to be true at the group and individual level without any empirical evidence to support it. There is an implicit assumption here that to have worked as a bar girl is to BE a bar girl in some indelible way that marks that person as flawed and incapable, FOR LIFE, of change, of growth, of goodness or honestly and of the basic human ability to love another person from their heart. This is fundamentally not only so obviously wrong that it borders on a very dangerous sort of belief systems that allows people to persecute classes or groups of people simply because of the group, perceived or otherwise, they belong too. History is full of examples where this sort of judgmental demagoguery takes us.

And so kerryk and his ilk are sure that they can judge this class and to marry a bar girl who is in some assumed sub-species of human being for which love does not exist only the ability to freely have sex with many men in exchange for money – she is just one of “12 ladies in a hot tub and a cold beer”. One of that group. Perhaps I should say the unfair reverse that men who marry “chaste and educated women” only marry for the veneers of status and social acceptance because of their inability to truly love a person for what is inside them and likewise these women are willing to forego deep loving relationships in exchange for a position in society. Of course we all know of individual cases where this is true – and we know how fundamentally untrue and unfair it is.

Now to make this personal. The past couple of years I’ve known someone who is ex-bg. For several years she’s had a good job, has worked herself up in a small but multi-national organization to a point where she is known, respected and deeply trusted by the management in and out of Thailand. The clients of this organization, non-Thais of both sexes, of all ages and backgrounds adore her. On a personal level she is chaste, trustworthy and has a goodness of heart that can bring me to tears. She is as hard working and loyal as anyone I’ve ever know. A man such as me would be very lucky to have her as a wife – fun, loving, faithful, all of it. And yet when I consider this I do think about the society kerryk refers to. Maybe it makes me a small person to worry about what other people think when I should just marry for love but I do. I think about the business & social situations I am in and how the two of us might feel. I think about the judgments. I know they are wrong, I know the quality of relationship that could be there with this person. (and the challenges like with any person – I don’t want to put her on any special pedestal, she’s just a person who may or may not be a good match from me her class and background aside) . But when I think about these things and consider this situation I am very clear about societies’ prejudices and judgements and what is the true nature of the person. They are two very different things.

Boo

Actually, KerryK is not really far off base on this one. I've heard that it was upwards of 20- 50%, as told to me by a Chulalongkorn-educated, female university graduate with whom I worked, and she was quoting a Thai study 3 years ago.

Upwards of 20-50% of university female students in Thailand can be bought for sexual-services?

Pls post the link of this study carried out 3 years back.

I have never read or heard of any such study conducted by a reputable source.

When in Chula next I will propositon a few girls. If the study is correct than 1 out of every 2 (50%) will say "yes" and go home with me. However, If I get slapped, than we can assumed the study is bogus. Any idea how much I should offer?

Yep, offer all the poor one 40 thousand baht and see what answer you get..... :o

Edited by chuchok

QUOTE(meemiathai @ 2006-08-06 05:24:19) *

QUOTE(backflip @ 2006-08-06 06:11:24) *

Would they even consider the notion of dating or marrying a prostitue in their home country? Of course not.

My answer is yes if I like her.

You are afraid of what your friends say, yeah? You can't control your life, can you? Even if you know you love a person. I don't blame you. There are strong and weak people in this world. This is a fact.

Answer is easy if you love someone, doesnt matter what their past holds - matters what the future brings. I'd certainly have no problem with it, nor should anyone else. smile.gif

It is not a question of morality, but of money and getting ripped off and made a fool of.

Although I've never married a prostitute, I might back home but not here. There is so much choice here.

Who cares what her past was - people can change, although most generally don't.

Why do well off farang marry low class girls? Because they don't realise they are doing so in most cases and don't realise that the rest of society are laughing at them, and why should they care anyway as long as they are both in love and happy.

I guess we should mind our own business - a successful intelligent farang can do what the fcku he pleases. I certainly do. :D

Another thing - what is a successful intelligent farang?

I'd say I was, other would disagree. I have very little money but lots of happiness and serenity.

Intelligent - what do you mean, high IQ, degree or not, common sense?

If someone marries a bargirl leave them alone, they have a lot of negativity from the Thais to deal with. Good luck to them :o Lots of self-righteous flaming due to their own inadequacies, of which I often partake, but at least know it. How do I stop this, as it is a weakness.

Within your own universe and your own reality, all the things that you believe in strongly are true. They are true for you and others who believe as you do, but opinions are not universal truth and everything is subjective.

In order to avoid the traps of self-righteousness, be conscious of your beliefs. Hold to those beliefs and stand firm in your convictions. Believe in yourself. Now, remember, that other people are doing the same thing. If you seek to trump their beliefs with yours, then you have waded into the shallow end of the pool of self-righteousness.

She is as hard working and loyal as anyone I’ve ever know. A man such as me would be very lucky to have her as a wife – fun, loving, faithful, all of it. And yet when I consider this I do think about the society kerryk refers to. Maybe it makes me a small person to worry about what other people think when I should just marry for love but I do. I think about the business & social situations I am in and how the two of us might feel. I think about the judgments. I know they are wrong, I know the quality of relationship that could be there with this person. (and the challenges like with any person – I don’t want to put her on any special pedestal, she’s just a person who may or may not be a good match from me her class and background aside) . But when I think about these things and consider this situation I am very clear about societies’ prejudices and judgements and what is the true nature of the person. They are two very different things.

Marry her!

Edited by Neeranam

Why Does A Successful Intelligent Farang Marry A Bar Girl?

There has been plenty of studies regarding this, or similar, phenomena. The results of these surveys have been:

1. Men would prefer to marry a woman they considered subordinate. An executive would much prefer to marry a secretary than his female boss.

2. Women with high IQ scores are much less likely to marry than women with low IQ scores.

3. Men with high IQ scores are much more likely to marry than men with low IQ scores.

All these studies suggest the same thing; that successful men are looking for traditional stay-at-home wives rather than women climbing the success ladder.

I guess most bargirls comes from poor backgrounds and are normally not that well educated, this will probably put them in the stay-at-home wives category after getting married.

So why? I guess most men want someone who can take care of the home and can take pride in doing that. What most men don’t want is a wife to compete with in the field of carrier success.

sorry.... the question will never be answered!!!!
The post before yours gave a good answer - why shouldn't it be answered?

Domination, lust etc

Because I don't accept that particular explanation?.......... ????? far too simple for my liking! :o

Well i married a bar girl and i did so because i'm obviously sad and desperate. :D

What is this bullshit stigma attached to :o "bargirls"?

Kind of like the old Norelco slogan from the CEO of the American electric razor: "I liked the product so much I bought the company."

I think the topic was why does a successful Farang marry a bargirl.

The rebuttal was, because bargirls are no different than any other woman in Thailand who will marry a Farang.

A number of posters pointed out the extent of prostitution in Thai society.

The answer to that was specific experiences with a number of levels of Thai society that are know to insiders but not the general public.

I am at a loss to know how one can know anything about bargirls without knowing any bargirls.

I am also at a loss to know why people who live here have a hard time understanding the realities of Thai society.

I have learned a lot from this thread. I suppose it all comes down to, do you want an educated, upstanding woman who is chaste and faithful or 12 ladies in a hot tub and a cold beer.

There may have been a point in my life when I wanted the former but now I am happy to spend my golden years with the latter.

What kerryk says about Thai society is true but it is mixing two different things. I think it’s’ fair to say I’m “a successful farang”. I work in Thailand and at times up to very high levels of Thai society. I am aware that if I decided to marry a woman, ex-bg or otherwise, who was from a poor Issan background without higher education, there are assumptions and judgments people would make that would be different than if I married someone from the opposite end of the socioeconomic spectrum. This is a fact of life.

How he got however from this quite obvious statement to one where he says “I have learned a lot from this thread. I suppose it all comes down to, do you want an educated, upstanding woman who is chaste and faithful or 12 ladies in a hot tub and a cold beer.” Is where he, and so many here, veer off into their own dark inner world of prejudices and universally applicable judgments on classes of people that are assumed to be true at the group and individual level without any empirical evidence to support it. There is an implicit assumption here that to have worked as a bar girl is to BE a bar girl in some indelible way that marks that person as flawed and incapable, FOR LIFE, of change, of growth, of goodness or honestly and of the basic human ability to love another person from their heart. This is fundamentally not only so obviously wrong that it borders on a very dangerous sort of belief systems that allows people to persecute classes or groups of people simply because of the group, perceived or otherwise, they belong too. History is full of examples where this sort of judgmental demagoguery takes us.

And so kerryk and his ilk are sure that they can judge this class and to marry a bar girl who is in some assumed sub-species of human being for which love does not exist only the ability to freely have sex with many men in exchange for money – she is just one of “12 ladies in a hot tub and a cold beer”. One of that group. Perhaps I should say the unfair reverse that men who marry “chaste and educated women” only marry for the veneers of status and social acceptance because of their inability to truly love a person for what is inside them and likewise these women are willing to forego deep loving relationships in exchange for a position in society. Of course we all know of individual cases where this is true – and we know how fundamentally untrue and unfair it is.

Now to make this personal. The past couple of years I’ve known someone who is ex-bg. For several years she’s had a good job, has worked herself up in a small but multi-national organization to a point where she is known, respected and deeply trusted by the management in and out of Thailand. The clients of this organization, non-Thais of both sexes, of all ages and backgrounds adore her. On a personal level she is chaste, trustworthy and has a goodness of heart that can bring me to tears. She is as hard working and loyal as anyone I’ve ever know. A man such as me would be very lucky to have her as a wife – fun, loving, faithful, all of it. And yet when I consider this I do think about the society kerryk refers to. Maybe it makes me a small person to worry about what other people think when I should just marry for love but I do. I think about the business & social situations I am in and how the two of us might feel. I think about the judgments. I know they are wrong, I know the quality of relationship that could be there with this person. (and the challenges like with any person – I don’t want to put her on any special pedestal, she’s just a person who may or may not be a good match from me her class and background aside) . But when I think about these things and consider this situation I am very clear about societies’ prejudices and judgements and what is the true nature of the person. They are two very different things.

you said it

People are people all over the globe. Can I ask a simple question? Why do you guys suddenly decide that a simple, uneducated, Asian girl will do... as a marriage partner... as opposed to ANY woman on the planet? Basic question... geograhically challenged I know!@.....

Why Does A Successful Intelligent Farang Marry A Bar Girl?

There has been plenty of studies regarding this, or similar, phenomena. The results of these surveys have been:

1. Men would prefer to marry a woman they considered subordinate. An executive would much prefer to marry a secretary than his female boss.

2. Women with high IQ scores are much less likely to marry than women with low IQ scores.

3. Men with high IQ scores are much more likely to marry than men with low IQ scores.

All these studies suggest the same thing; that successful men are looking for traditional stay-at-home wives rather than women climbing the success ladder.

I guess most bargirls comes from poor backgrounds and are normally not that well educated, this will probably put them in the stay-at-home wives category after getting married.

So why? I guess most men want someone who can take care of the home and can take pride in doing that. What most men don’t want is a wife to compete with in the field of carrier success.

Interesting but the IQ of the woman isn't really a factor regarding bar girls. They may often be under educated but they are certainly no less intelligent than the rest of the Thai population.

I don't see anything wrong with it in my opinion. If someone were to hang out in the circles of the rich and famous in Thailand, well then it may be difficult. However for "everyday" people, I don't see the problem. Prostitution in Thailand is usually and end to a means. Most of the girls don't rush to Bangkok and Pattaya to become prostitutes because they think it will be fun; most come to get money to support their FAMILIES. In America, most prostitution is to support a drug habit or lifestyle not to support a family. I think that many of these girls are forced into it by situation not by choice. I think it's totally unfair to judge all of them based on the mere fact that they're prostitutes. I believe it's very high minded to cast aspersions at the BG without doing the same for the customer. The way I see it, if a bargirl is worthy enough to be "rented", she should be worthy enough to be wedded. From what I've heard, most of the girls that show up from the Isaan, and it's their hope to meet a Farang, get married and go back home to the Isaan. Where is the quickest, and easiest place to meet a Farang in Thailand? Do the math and then figure out why there are so many BG in Thailand. I'm not naive enough to believe that is always the case. Many become hardened and turn into the girls that are written about, but I also believe that many retain their true identities and just want to marry and go home. I don't see the harm in that. There is a lot worse evil in the world.

Why do you guys suddenly decide that a simple, uneducated, Asian girl will do

And why not? It surprises me that a lot more men don't make that choice.

I think that for me a lot of the appeal is a return to more clearly defined traditional roles of man and woman which is more prevalent in Asia than other countries that I have lived in or visited. That and the fact that I find Asian woman more aesthetically pleasing. Plus living in Thailand (or elsewhere in Asia) isn't the worst either.

People are people all over the globe. Can I ask a simple question? Why do you guys suddenly decide that a simple, uneducated, Asian girl will do... as a marriage partner... as opposed to ANY woman on the planet? Basic question... geograhically challenged I know!@.....

for the intelligent conversations...... :o

I am still waiting for the answer to your comment that 20-50% of Thai university students 'sell sexual-services'.

Pls send me the link.

Just cause i want to know the source of your links governing Prostitution & University Students doesn't mean that you can suddenly try to defend yourself and call me a Farang that doesn't know about Thai sex-workers. Perhaps these statistics from TVs finest ought to be posted on Thailand's top Thai language forums!???

Uhm, let's see - did you even read my post? Apparently not, because you are not really responding to what I said. And, I am supposed to waste my time looking for links for you, am I? Here's a clue: first of all, READ and DISCUSS what people say, not what you want them to say for the sake of your argument. Secondly, if you are trying to threaten my position by mentioning Thai language websites, then it is clear to me you don't really want to try and understand what is going on, you are merely interested in defensive ego protection and censorship.

I've posted so many links since my time on TV, I'm really quite sick of it because the same sorts of people will always pop up with their denials and denouncements. If you want a link, go on the bloody internet and do some research, because it is all over the place and not hard to find. One general source that I highly recommend for recent research on the commercial sex work sector and child labor is the International Labour Organization (ILO). Go into a bookstore, and start with some good books that you may find there - both international and Thai - and follow up on their references. Read the papers consistently, because the results of new local research also gets published there. And, in this case, do not neglect the Thai history of concubinage because it is quite instructive.

Finally, if you are waiting for an easily downloadable link and statistic as proof of every social issue in Thailand, then I can see why you would use a Thai-language website as a defence, because there is very little in the way of rational or open discussion of social issues in this society; oh dear - I just made a statement on a widely observed and acknowledged cultural pattern - do you want a link for that too?

Here's a give-away fact and statistic that I'm sure you'll love: Prostitution is illegal in Thailand, and there are about 200,000 prostitutes in the Kingdom, as per the Thai police ( :o ) 1994. This is the official statistic that has been bandied about since then.

Well, I am sure we are all thrilled to hear your advice. This thread has gone completely off topic and turned into yet another thread about bar girls --not about marrying them, mind you, or the men who marry them, but just about girls and sex.

Last chance for some intelligent discussion and then its over. Don't let me down, I know I can count on you to screw it up :D

Thanks for not succumbing to knee-jerk reactions to close down a thread because people don't like the discussion.

On topic, sometimes successful intelligent falangs simply don't have any choice after they back themselves into a corner (Barfine-Shag-"Dating"-Oops-Baby on the way-Now the f___ what?-Okay, let's get married). In a way it's the same slippery slope situation that leads many women to the bargirl life (Bet 300,000 on Liverpool-Lose-Okay, I make 250 Baht a day, how will I pay it back?-Looks like I'm going to have to head to Pattaya/Bangkok).

:D

That is an excellent observation. I also think many become defensive about discussions such as this one because their egos are invested.

Now to make this personal. The past couple of years I’ve known someone who is ex-bg. For several years she’s had a good job, has worked herself up in a small but multi-national organization to a point where she is known, respected and deeply trusted by the management in and out of Thailand. The clients of this organization, non-Thais of both sexes, of all ages and backgrounds adore her. On a personal level she is chaste, trustworthy and has a goodness of heart that can bring me to tears. She is as hard working and loyal as anyone I’ve ever know. A man such as me would be very lucky to have her as a wife – fun, loving, faithful, all of it.

I would wholly agree with you here.

Edited by kat

Answer to Valjean

Sorry it took me so long to answer I got waterlogged in the tub last night. I was married to one Go go dancer in the US for 7 years and engaged to another for two years who was 40 years my junior. My fiancé made $4000 per week.

I called up a couple of my ilk this morning to discuss what dark path we were going to take tonight. It was a toss up between MBK or watch Cricket re runs.

I think it is a mistake to assume everyone is looking for love. I sure am not. I found love a number of times. In that respect I have been a very lucky man. But at this stage of my life I am not looking for love.

I like dancers more than bar girls. There a number of reasons but I won’t go into the specific differences.

I like a liberal person be it male or female. Since I am such a dark ilk my definition of liberal may be different than most of the members of this forum.

It was not till my middle forties that I discovered I liked being in a hot tub with 12 women. However I did find that in seeking companions I found more success with women who undressed for a living than the ladies at the church social.

I have never cared much for unintelligent women. But I have found education and intelligence do not go hand in hand. I have also found that a little bit of education such as a BA degree in one of the lesser demanding academic areas is worse than no education at all. A PHD in mathematics or physics is great and those ladies jump in the hot tub in a heart beat because they have their stuff together. A BA in Feminist studies or Psychology or Sociology and I might as well be talking to the wall. In my personal experience I have found that intelligence of the average bar girl is slightly higher than the average elementary school teachers I have known.

I don’t think a bar girl carries some kind of social stigma with her for the rest of her life. I think they carry a confidence that comes from knowing about life from the dark side and from the light side. I think most successful bar girls have traveled and know what it is like at the top and at the bottom. They also have a realistic idea of how they would handle being faced with life and death situations on the street. They have a quiet confidence in themselves and their bodies.

When I was a kid I lived on the street not knowing where my next meal would come from. I lived in cold water flats with one tub at the end of the hall for 20 rooms. I have been shot and stabbed and I know what if feels like to get beat up. I don’t worry about much because I have been there and done that and I feel the same is true of a bar girl.

Most bar girls I know have taken a drastic cut in pay to live with a Farang. They have done it for two reasons. 1. Because they like the guy. 2. Future rewards. Future rewards are a good example of delayed gratification. The same thing that makes one put money in a savings account or delay immediate income to attend college and that is an intelligent thing to do.

I don’t have a clue if the Thai lady who has been with me for the past year and some months is in love with me. It is not one of those things I worry about. I have a clean house, good home cooked food, happy women chatting and singing and waltzing in and out at all hours of the day. I have friendly companionship be it watching the World cup at 4 AM or getting a massage at the local soapy. Tonight if I want to go to a Go go I will be accompanied by three or four ladies who also want to go. I am not forcing them they really like the music and dancing and a chance to talk to old friends.

Contrast the above with what the average old retired guy is doing daily in the West.

I would say that, in combination with the answer in my previous post, the reason would be convenience.

An hour’s walk around a place like Pattaya will give most men hundreds of easy opportunities to direct contact with a female of his choice. There are bars everywhere and the girls are eager and willing to talk to anyone. :D

You walk around for an hour in many places of Europe, especially in the winter, all you are going to see is an old man walking his dog. :D To find a girl outside Asia takes a lot of effort and time. :o

Please remember just my opinion.

Women choose a man based on some mysterious blend of looks, demeanor, financial stability and I am sure a host of other factors.

Men either can not or choose not to understand this concept completely.

Men also have no idea why women continue to stay with them.

Men do realize they go to work and give their paycheck to their wife and expect something in return.

Most men care nothing about intelligent conversation as perceived by most women. Guys talk about sports, old Army experiences, day to day work experiences, children and in general very basic subjects. At work they may be deciding the fates of nations but at home they talk about head butts and does the kid have a cold.

To give you an example a few years ago I was involved in planning the emergency food distribution for 20 million people in a foreign country. In one hour I spoke on the phone to two heads of state, three Generals and one high ranking member of the United Nations. If I made a mistake millions of people might starve. The stress of every calculations made me sweat in a severely air conditioned room. When I got home that night all I wanted to do was have a few beers and watch football.

Given the above information I think it becomes obvious that there is not much difference between women geographically at least to most men.

Other factors come into play as cost of living and peace of mind and physical attraction.

I have a lady friend in the States who is a psychic. When I decided to sell my business and move I had in narrowed down to three places, Victoria BC, Asheville NC and Thailand. She told me I would find love in Victoria, financial success in Asheville and peace in Thailand. Strangely enough she was right about Thailand.

The denial on this thread and frankly in many other places on this forum is startling.Why can't it be accepted that there are major and sometimes crippling issues to deal with when marrying a prostitute? Whether Thai or not is probably not very relevant except for the additional burden of cultural misunderstanding.I'm not condemning and in fact I understand some of the reasons very well, particularly for those coming from a sexually repressive English background.

Incidentally am I alone in thinking that posters who constantly use the word "<deleted>" rarely have anything interesting to say?

University students in Thailand from 10 to 50% supplement their funds in the same way. That is not true in the West.

Absolute nonsense!! What are you basing your figures on? 10-50% of Thai university students are prostitutes - really! Is this what 'your lady' told you? and how many university students does she know in Thailand exactly to base this on?

I totally agree 100% with Kerry on this, and I would say its closer to the 50% mark, if not much higher ! A prostitute is not a girl that works in a bar, its a girl who sleeps with a guy for money, and trust me students are the number 1 for it !!

I never believed this until I seen it with my own eyes and how easy it was, a good friend of mine showed me and I couldnt believe it ! 1st time was in MBK Bangkok, for anyone who knows it theres a floor which has about 200+ shops selling mobile phones. On a weekend at its peak there are 500+ girls working there who are mostly students working for extra money. If you go to the stall and simply say "Ha Roy baht" (do not say 500 baht) MOST of them will go with you, if the person you ask says no her mate will ! Ridiculous you may say but im telling you, its true ! I did it myself.

Just in case it was just sheer pot luck (of course I didnt go asking the whole floor to confirm it) I asked a Thai friend of mine who is a well clued up business man in Bangkok and he clarified it was true, he actually laughed at me for my lack of basic common knowledge !

It is not just MBK, I have seen it everywhere in all the usual hangouts for students, Bangkok Uni, student discos where theres not a farang in site.... Prince of Songkla University in Phuket is another, bursting with students all available for a bit of extra money ! Rajabhat University in Udon Thani is the one that my mate ranks number 1 in Thailand for cheap sex, hes there now.

Now of course if you asked your TGF if this was true what is she going to say ? Is she going to say "Yes darling, any you want for 500 baht" or is she going to tell you its a load of rubbish ? Of course shes going to tell you its not true, if they didnt there would be farangs running around MBK and all the university hang outs looking for sex !!

You guys just dont know how much prostitution there is out there, you all think it circulates around the obvious places like girlie bars, you are so wrong !

Now our friend terry57 knows what im onabout dont you mate ? :D:o

I just asked my Thai girlfriend; she is a graduate of Mahanakorn University, Bangkok.

She said that yes, some girls did prostitute themselves, but they appeared to be very selective as to whom they made themselves available.

Typically, she said, they would target older Thai businessmen or those in positions of authority perceived to be well off.

When I asked her if they would go with farang, she was insistent that from what she had seen, they most certainly would not.

She actually looked incredulous as if to say: “what a ridiculous question!”

She also said that it was looked upon more in the ‘mia noi’ light, rather than hard core prostitution, although the practice was generally frowned upon.

She could not give me any idea of a percentage, restricting her answer to: “only some”, as she wryly scoffed at the figure of 50%.

She then went on to say that there were two distinct groups who would sell themselves.

Firstly, those struggling on a tight budget to pay for their course fees; secondly, those who were adequately funded but wanted to buy genuine designer label clothes and trappings, the latest mobile phones etc.

The above is hardly a representative sample for research purposes, and of course it could well be the case that behaviours differ between universities.

However, I found her almost indignant reaction to the notion of such girls going with farang interesting.

It was as if she was implying they would not stoop so low.

I let it go at that, as I could foresee one of those 'I can criticise Thai people if I want to, but you cannot!' exchanges coming... :D

I can't see how you could get accurate figures on what percentage of Thai students freelance as prostitutes. After all it's not something that most would readily admit to. There are certainly lots of them that do but I wouldn't have any idea what that percentage is. Somewhere between 1% and 99% would be my best guess :o

Edited by Colonel_Mustard

give me a break.. 50% of students @ some unis are wh0res, 50% of waitresses are wh0res, most of the girls @ MBK moblie phone section are avail if you walk upto them & say 500 baht :D

You guys coming out with this crap are obviously dating/married to wh0res, and in denial trying to make yerselves feel better..

Im not saying no workers in the afformentioned areas are avail for sex @ a price at the drop of a hat, but the figures given in this thread are a complete joke.. I think "compensated dating" is the term for what some of these girls will be doing, and they are VERY selective of who they will "date" most of the time, if you date a women anywhere in the world, how longs it gonna be before shes wanting a "present"?...

Rather than the bar girl full bore wh0ring "handsome man, me smoke u good" category, who will go with cripples, 150kg slobs, and paraletic alchys as many times as possible in any single day :D

Anyways, I have some sand to go stick my head in :o