Be Extra Careful If Renting Apartment/condo At

I just want to advise everybody to be EXTRA CAREFUL if renting apartment/condo at Sukhumvit Park Condominiums at Sukhumvit Soi 10. The persons who run the place are not truthful and will take every chance to deceive and manipulate with informations.

It’s a long story…..

Anyway they refuse to pay back my deposit after my one year contract (1 july 2005- 30 June 2006). I have paid every rent accordingly to the lease agreement except one month that was 3 days late and therefore I hade to pay 1000bt per day in penalty.

According to the lease agreement the deposit should be returned to me within one month… They have not clamed any compensation for any damages, just tells me to wait, nothing else….

Is there a way to put some pressure on them? Will I gain anything extra by suing them or only get the lawyer richer :o ??

I need some advice....

Edited by Peter_Patong

I just want to advise everybody to be EXTRA CAREFUL if renting apartment/condo at Sukhumvit Park Condominiums at Sukhumvit Soi 10. The persons who run the place are not truthful and will take every chance to deceive and manipulate with informations.

It’s a long story…..

Anyway they refuse to pay back my deposit after my one year contract (1 july 2005- 30 June 2006). I have paid every rent accordingly to the lease agreement except one month that was 3 days late and therefore I hade to pay 1000bt per day in penalty.

According to the lease agreement the deposit should be returned to me within one month… They have not clamed any compensation for any damages, just tells me to wait, nothing else….

Is there a way to put some pressure on them? Will I gain anything extra by suing them or only get the lawyer richer :o ??

I need some advice....

I advise only making the post once , in one forum.

Expect a slap on the wrists from a mod.

Cheers

I need some advice....

Just inform them that you are going to consult with a lawyer if refund is not returned in a reasonable amount of time, like 2 weeks, and see if that gets them moving.

They are trying it on with you. Many farangs just give up at this point, its an easy scam for them to try. You need to call their bluff.

I assume you still have a copy of the contract? You have legal rights here but they are expecting you to accept the 'this is Thailand' attitude that so many farang have and just give them the money.

Contact them and get all their names and tell them you will be taking legal action against them should you're deposit not be returned within a suitable period of time ie. 48 hrs.

Don't just speak to some office bods either, take it further until you're speaking to management.

After that 48 hrs, consult a lawyer.

It’s a long story…..

I need some advice....

Did you have a phoneline in your apartment?

It is quite standard for the landlord not to return the deposit, until he has received the phone bill. He doesn't want to get stuck with a large bill run up by the tenant. I don't know when the phone bill normally arrives but I wouldn't be surprised if it is sometime in the coming week.

I think you should ask them what they are waiting for, and maybe give them til the middle of the month for the utility bills to arrive (if that's the reason for the delay).

I have never had any problems getting my deposits back, but I have had to wait about six weeks each time.

Sophon

It’s a long story…..

I need some advice....

Did you have a phoneline in your apartment?

I could understand this in normal cases with decent folks, but not with those people. After so many lies. They have lied about everything from who’s the legal owner of the condo to fake claims of maintenance made by brand companies like Electrolux, but was made by them self. ...And so many other things....

If I sued them and if I win, I know I will, who pay for the legal fees and the lawyer??? How long time will it take to get a judicial decision?? Will i as foreigner get fair trial??

Dude, youre not really going to sue them are you. Calling their bluff is what is called for and it will most likely resolve your situation.

Dont be so sure that you would win any legal action you instigate. Nothing is sure here, let alone something that can be decided with the flip of a wallet.

Put your business head on. Is your time and effort worth the financial gain at the end of the road? If so, then go ahead, but i advise hard thinking.

Now is the time to be the "crazy farrang" confronting with direct questions, and then refusing to leave the office until you get your money. Chances are you will get your money. No Thai wants a crazy farrang around. They will want you to leave, but you won't without your money.

They will try anything in the book.....ask to see the owner of the building if possible. You just know if you dont press the issue the money will go straight in their pocket.

Stand by your principals.

Stand by the legal signed contract that both parties have signed. It's there for a reason.

Tell them you are going ot call the tourist police and the regular bib and tell them you will have them arrested for theft, unless your deposit is returned straight away. Dont give them anytime to pay, they have had this time already, they are taking the piss, grow a spine get in there and demand your money back. Forget this face saving shit, show them up in front of a crowd and dont back down, its time to stop the niceties and get serious

As for suing them well there is only one thing to say to that :o Sorry but your first meeting with your lawyer will probably exceed the deposit anyway.

• 3 months later...

I need some advice....

Just inform them that you are going to consult with a lawyer if refund is not returned in a reasonable amount of time, like 2 weeks, and see if that gets them moving.

THEM ?????? Sukhumvit Park have absolutely nothing to do with what you agree with your landlord.

SP is a condomium building (each condo is owned by an individual)...............here's some advice.........learn the law and watch who you are slagging off or you will end up being the one who gets sued.

• 2 months later...
THEM ?????? Sukhumvit Park have absolutely nothing to do with what you agree with your landlord.

SP is a condomium building (each condo is owned by an individual)...............here's some advice.........learn the law and watch who you are slagging off or you will end up being the one who gets sued.

First

You are right. Sukhumvit Park is a condominium and each condo is normally owned by individuals. BUT the owner of this condo was first presented to me as the company Sukhumvit Park Co.,Ltd. They also printed out the contract with Sukhumvit Park Co.,Ltd as the owner. (I still have it) Then later when we found out that this was a lie (one of many) they changed it to the right owners name – no other than the general managers sister/aunt (according to them self) with the same last name.

And also were the all monthly invoices made in Sukhumvit Park Co.,Ltd’s name…

I haven’t checked if I have got my deposit back yet. If not, I have soon waited for 8 months…

This is not critics of the building it self or individuals who owns condos in SP - I just telling people to be careful with whom they are dealing with…

Edited by Peter_Patong

Here is what my lawyer suggested when I had a similar problem a while back. Go to the office and get a statement in writing that you will receive your deposit in full at some specific date, or when certain specific conditions are satisfied. Obviously you get this from the manager not some little office thingy.

It may be that they are waiting for money from another source, which strictly they should not do but it does mean they do not intend to steal your money. Give them the benefit of the doubt for now, but get it in writing to show you are serious.

Next step would be to pay your lawyer just to place a call and ask what the holdup is (without threatening legal action just yet).

First

You are right. Sukhumvit Park is a condominium and each condo is normally owned by individuals. BUT the owner of this condo was first presented to me as the company Sukhumvit Park Co.,Ltd. They also printed out the contract with Sukhumvit Park Co.,Ltd as the owner. (I still have it) Then later when we found out that this was a lie (one of many) they changed it to the right owners name – no other than the general managers sister/aunt (according to them self) with the same last name.

And also were the all monthly invoices made in Sukhumvit Park Co.,Ltd’s name…

I haven’t checked if I have got my deposit back yet. If not, I have soon waited for 8 months…

This is not critics of the building it self or individuals who owns condos in SP - I just telling people to be careful with whom they are dealing with…

Interesting. Is it possible the owner of the unit you rented is hiding rental income from the taxman? The incorrect contracts and invoicing sound quite suspicious. Could threatening to have your lawyer report them to the Revenue Dept for tax fraud provide any leverage?

Take a look at the Return of Security Deposit thread. I had the same problem. I am a firm believer that we get screwed by Thais all the time and as foreigners have no rights in the Thai legal system, regardless of what you might hear to the contrary..and I'm a lawyer..have been for over 20 years. So you can forget about going that route..good money chasing bad. Unless you have some way to hound them retentlessly...forget it...hang in there as much as you can ..pester the shit out of them if you can but do'n't let go of anymore cash...particularly to anyone who says they can help.