Satellite Cable Splitter Question?

mxyzptlk

I currently have two set top boxes (True & RS Sunbox) running from a single cable connected to a True Visions satellite dish using a splitter. However, when I want to watch True, I need to power off (not just put in standby) the Sunbox and vice versa when I want to watch the EPL footy on the Sunbox I need to power off the True box. If I have one powered on and one in standby mode, I get a "No Signal" error. Would replacing the splitter with a combo booster / splitter fix the problem?

Edited by mxyzptlk

OK I've been thinking about this and I reckon it's probably not a signal strength problem and is more likely caused by the two different feeds interfering with each other with the resulting signal being undecipherable by either STB.

Edited by mxyzptlk

Did you contact your provider? Probably not...because they will charge you for the extra connection (box).

I really don't think it would be expensive... a few hundred more a month. Looks like the cable is setup to defeat running two boxes at the same time. That capability might have to be "switched on" from their side.

I haven't contacted anyone regarding this. I've had 2 True boxes on the same feed before, so I don't think True are stopping anything.

It's not too much of a hassle for me really as I only watch the footy on a Saturday / Sunday night and I can just switch the True box off.

I don't want to pay any more than I'm already paying per month. The reason I got the RS Box is that it only costs 1800 baht to watch the EPL for the full season, as opposed to 599-899 baht per month charged by CTH....

Edited by mxyzptlk

Your set top box sends two voltages 13volts and 17 volts to select the signal polarity, this is where yoiu are having a conflict True uses the same polarity so no conflict with two true boxes.

You should buy a dual input LNB for around 500 baht and your boxes will run independantly, you will also need to run a second co-axial cable as well

• Like 2

Your set top box sends two voltages 13volts and 17 volts to select the signal polarity, this is where yoiu are having a conflict True uses the same polarity so no conflict with two true boxes.

You should buy a dual input LNB for around 500 baht and your boxes will run independantly, you will also need to run a second co-axial cable as well

This is the right answer I think...

As william-pad wrote, DVB-S2 receivers sends +13vdc or +18vdc to select between TWO possible satellite signal feeds (polarized signals sent either Horizontally or Vertically).

If one of the DVB-S2 receivers is 'always' sending +18vdc up the coaxial line then it prevents the LNB Feed from ever selecting the opposite polarity necessary for the 'other' DVB-S2 box to receive the correct signal feed from the satellite.

Option One: Running TWO coaxial cables and using a Dual-Feed LNB.

Option Two: Using a Power Strip with individual ON/OFF circuits so you can power-OFF one DVB-S2 while the other is powered-ON might also work. **

** Option Two may cause issues with subscription updates ... meaning your subscription channels might give you an error while the box waits for the next timed update to be sent out.

OK Thanks for the explanation

As william-pad wrote, DVB-S2 receivers sends +13vdc or +18vdc to select between TWO possible satellite signal feeds (polarized signals sent either Horizontally or Vertically).

If one of the DVB-S2 receivers is 'always' sending +18vdc up the coaxial line then it prevents the LNB Feed from ever selecting the opposite polarity necessary for the 'other' DVB-S2 box to receive the correct signal feed from the satellite.

Option One: Running TWO coaxial cables and using a Dual-Feed LNB.

Option Two: Using a Power Strip with individual ON/OFF circuits so you can power-OFF one DVB-S2 while the other is powered-ON might also work. **

** Option Two may cause issues with subscription updates ... meaning your subscription channels might give you an error while the box waits for the next timed update to be sent out.

Option Two is what I am currently doing. If I encounter issues regarding the timed updates then I will replace the current LNB with a dual feed LNB.