Book flight online without printer

maxcorrigan

Maybe some one has experience of booking a flight online but does'nt have the printer to print out ticket, if i take note of booking ref. etc. would that be sufficient at the checkin desk at LHR

I am in the process of moving to Thailand with my peesed-ning (wife) and have boxed up PC and printer plus the accessories, and will move into a guesthouse until have money from house sale is in my bank in UK, i know i can go to public library and used pc/printer there, but wondered if i need to bother, if a simple booking ref.number would bring up all the relevant details

Hope someone has done this before, and also hope i have asked the right section this time!

Regards Maxc London

Edited by maxcorrigan

You do not need to print anything, just book ticket with your name as shown in your passport, You check yourself in at T2 at Heathow , scan your passport, machine issues you baggage tags, then just go to baggage ,drop (well you do for thai and eva),

forgot to add, if booking online the baggage drop will want to see the credit card you booked with

Edited by howerde

Are you sure it's T3? Could be depending on which airline but are you sure?

Well it has been T3 the last 14 times i have been to Thailand and definitely Jan/Feb this year using mainly EVA or Thai although i think there was talk about about about using T2.

T2 was i think mainly short haul Europe etc.

Maxc

OK thank you for replying to my message a great help so just turn up baggage drop T3 with passports and credit card and everything comes up on their computer regarding online booking

That is very helpful,thanks again for your quick response

Maxc

I do not know about T3, i was refering to T2 which is where Thai and Eva are based, sorry about any confusion, even if you are going out of T3 on a different airline, you do not need a printed copy of e ticket everything is on the reservation system

Well it has been T3 the last 14 times i have been to Thailand and definitely Jan/Feb this year using mainly EVA or Thai although i think there was talk about about about using T2.

Might be for the best that you print out the entire itinerary and read through it carefully, Max.

Make sure that you're travelling on the right date too.

Might be for the best that you print out the entire itinerary and read through it carefully, Max.

Make sure that you're travelling on the right date too.

Thanks everybody that answered my query, i will post again nearer the date i travel am in the process of selling my house which should be wrapped up by the 28th Nov. that is if the solicitors stopped dragging their <deleted> and get moving

So at the moment have nothing positive to go on!

Maxc

Bit of an update i defiantly flew from T3 LHR Jan 2014, but just googled Thai Air and EVA and found they were switched over to the recently updated T2 in early June

so by that info you are correct T2 it is from now on!

Maxc

Max, for the past ten years I've taken nothing more than the passport and a written note of the flight details (flight number, itinery number, dates and times). Never used a printer once for flight details in recent memory.

No need for even an A4 printed page. Gone are the days of getting your printed tickets in the post I'm afraid. Like a lot of things they are moving to a paperless concept with it all.

As others have stated you should have no issues at LHR.

BUT

Be aware that some countries won't let you in the terminal without a printed ticket (India and Philippines plus others) so don't take it as read that you will never need that printer.

Bit of an update i defiantly flew from T3 LHR Jan 2014, but just googled Thai Air and EVA and found they were switched over to the recently updated T2 in early June

so by that info you are correct T2 it is from now on!

Maxc

"Bit of an update i defiantly flew from T3..."

Not sure if being defiant would help you much if the airline flew out of a different terminal, but hey don't let 'em push you around.

• Like 1

Both EVA and Thai moved to Terminal 2 around June this year, so that is why you would still have used Terminal 3 if you flew earlier.

Although newer and modern, it is a much longer walk to T2 departure gates. There is even a Heston Blumenthal restaurant/bar there, which stands out from the normal shops you see at UK airports.

As Loptr stated, there are apps if you have a smart phone. EVA's one (EVA Mobile), is pretty good, giving Timetable, Flight status, and even allowing you to check in.

You do not need to print anything, just book ticket with your name as shown in your passport, You check yourself in at T2 at Heathow , scan your passport, machine issues you baggage tags, then just go to baggage ,drop (well you do for thai and eva),

forgot to add, if booking online the baggage drop will want to see the credit card you booked with

I have just booked and paid with my gredit card for a friend to go to OZ what would they do at baggage drop about credit card it is with Malaysia air i thought the e-ticket bypassed that problem.

Term 3 is due for update and some airlines have moved to other Term already Malaysia is 4 and Singapore air is now 2 as i am going to OZ with them next month your e-ticket tells you what term i always print e-ticket never had to show it anywhere.

As others have stated you should have no issues at LHR.

BUT

Be aware that some countries won't let you in the terminal without a printed ticket (India and Philippines plus others) so don't take it as read that you will never need that printer.

Agreed. Security in Manila always wants to see your ticket before letting you through security before you are allowed in the terminal. Last time I was there I was running late and gave the security guy 200 pesos and he walked me through, bags and all skipping security fully. Also some airports in Indonesia (Bali) used to operate like this.

Although newer and modern, it is a much longer walk to T2 departure gates. There is even a Heston Blumenthal restaurant/bar there, which stands out from the normal shops you see at UK airports.

Although it is a nice modern terminal, I much preferred landside to airside. The landside Wetherspoons, which I would never touch in the high street, is a nice relaxing bar with decent range of beverages and okay food.

Airside just didn't do it for me. The bars were so so and the area fairly sterile. T3 was the opposite with nothing doing landside and pretty good airside.

Unless there's a decent bar hidden away that I didn't notice, I'll endeavour to stay landside a little long next time.

Both EVA and Thai moved to Terminal 2 around June this year, so that is why you would still have used Terminal 3 if you flew earlier.

As Loptr stated, there are apps if you have a smart phone. EVA's one (EVA Mobile), is pretty good, giving Timetable, Flight status, and even allowing you to check in.

Thanks again everyone for your valuable information that's what makes this site worthwhile, i have downloaded EVA on mobile and as posters have stated can see and book on smart phone.

The only problem i can see would be i usually book through one of the travel sites eg.Opodo.Kayak, etc,so unless they have an app. info on smart phone may not work, but we shall see when time comes in early Dec. (i hope)

Maxc

Since e-tickets replaced paper ones I've never printed out my boarding card or e-ticket, even when I have checked in online in advance. I just show up at the airport and present my passport. I do always have the confirmation email and ticket locator number on my phone, but I've never been asked for it. I've never been asked for my credit card either, though I do always have it.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

OK thank you for replying to my message a great help so just turn up baggage drop T3 with passports and credit card and everything comes up on their computer regarding online booking
That is very helpful,thanks again for your quick response
Maxc

Another possibility is to sign up for SMS messages from the booking site. Many airlines offer this today.

You book, pay by credit card and all the details: names, flight details, confirmation, reference no., booking number etc., comes immediately by SMS. Then show the SMS at the check-in desk.

I notice many people showing the SMS to the check-in staff, easy.

I have travelled throughout the world using many airlines. Since e-tickets came into being I never print them out but have the reference number handy on my phone, just in case I need it. Always present my passport at check-in and never a problem. Sometimes asked for my credit or debit card if I paid for my ticket using it.