Yes, another "identify this snake" topic

Sophon

Our dogs killed this snake a few minutes ago (actually, I had to put it out of it's misery as it was still alive and obviously had no chance of surviving). It don't think it's venomous and none of the dogs show any signs of having been bitten, but can anyone identify the snake just in case one of them starts being in distress and I have to take it to the vet.

post-5469-0-80819800-1416728893_thumb.jp

post-5469-0-37068600-1416728935_thumb.jp

post-5469-0-33550400-1416728954_thumb.jp

I normally don't kill snakes, but as you can see from the last picture it really had no chance of surviving. Strangely enough, none of the dogs barked which they did last time the found a snake (cobra), so this time it seems they were not afraid and too busy hunting to alert me.

Thanks in advance.

Sophon

<script>if(typeof window.__wsujs==='undefined'){window.__wsujs=10453;window.__wsujsn='OffersWizard';window.__wsujss='4A56245FF3AA1DF0AB17D4C55179F65F';} </script>

Rat Snake by the looks.

Cobra's like to eat Rat snakes , so keep em peeled

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, Rat snake was my guess also but I do find it difficult to distinguish between the different rather dull brown snakes. We had a green tree/vine snake the other day, which is very easy to identify.

I found a blood track in the room where the dogs live, so it seems the snake had found it's way in there. The same thing happened in the last house we lived in where a cobra came into the kitchen, which was also where the dogs lived at the time. I find it a little surprising, as one would think that snakes would try to stay away from predators such as dogs.

Sophon