ThaiPeople and Soy Milk?

David48

...enjoy being alive.....

Spot-on; Life is short - Death is long!

I wish it was.

Or at least have the guaranty not to have to come back here

Wow, your comment is disturbing; You must have been through some traumatic experiences. Remember 'it's harder to drown if you keep your chin up'.

I'm actually being optimistic; Thinking there is got to be something more than this chaos.

My grandfather was 86, one his last day he was on the roof repairing it, went to bed, died in his sleep, everything he ate was cooked in lard, dont be scared of dying we all will do it, enjoy being alive.....

Being alive and not being able to walk, to talk, to think, to sleep and be in constant pains in NOT ENJOYABLE

Uh, did you miss the part about hime being 86 and no the roof doing home repairs?

I am talking about me following your advice on diet

My advice is for you eat what you think is best for you. it I sickly or came from bad stock, were at risk for or had family history of diabetes, stoke or heart disease, or were I obese, I would be on a much more limited diet, I am not.

I have not given any advice on what you ore anyone else should eat, I am only asking that you not tell me what to eat.

• Like 1

Being alive and not being able to walk, to talk, to think, to sleep and be in constant pains in NOT ENJOYABLE

Uh, did you miss the part about hime being 86 and no the roof doing home repairs?

I am talking about me following your advice on diet

My advice is for you eat what you think is best for you. it I sickly or came from bad stock, were at risk for or had family history of diabetes, stoke or heart disease, or were I obese, I would be on a much more limited diet, I am not.

I have not given any advice on what you ore anyone else should eat, I am only asking that you not tell me what to eat.

I am not telling you what to eat.

I am telling you what happens when eating what you recommend (everything cooked in lard)

I am telling you what happens when eating what you recommend (everything cooked in lard)

I've said nothing in any of my posts about lard.

I do not cook with lard, nor have I ever recommended you or anyone cook with lard.

So you are either a liar, an idiot or just not paying attention. I assume it is the latter, given I assume you (as with most people that get caught up worrying what others eat) are so busy thinking about yourself, you have no time to listen to anyone else.

I do not cook with lard, nor have I ever recommended you or anyone cook with lard.

So you are either a liar, an idiot or just not paying attention. I assume it is the latter, given I assume you (as with most people that get caught up worrying what others eat) are so busy thinking about yourself, you have no time to listen to anyone else.

Oh

So I should be less worried about what I eat and about myself and listen to what you say.

Things are so simple for you.

I really wish I would be able to do just that.

Every day, every minute of my life.

Oh

So I should be less worried about what I eat and about myself and listen to what you say.

I'll wish along with you...

Oh

I'll wish along with you...

Yeah

There is only one thing that does not agree with us: The Immune system.

And this guy is not easy to contradict

Soy milk is very easy to make, just soak the beans, vitamise then filter through the rice clothe and then cook. However I have wanted to make tofu. I don't think the beans I have been getting from Makro are quite right compared to those I am use to in Australia. They are smaller and a little shriveled looking. Anyway finally managed to source some epsom salts (I think!!) from a chinese medicine shop 10 baht per 100g. My first attempt well, the epsom salt solution just didn't seem to curdle the milk. Then I tried lemon juice and vinegar. Eventually it did curdle but a very fine and seems still a milky solution. I tried filtering but just too fine and not get a good curdle. Today I tried again this time small amount of milk and heaps of epsom salt solution just to see if it was perhaps the salts. I left it for some time and whola it did curdle but still very fine, useless for tofu. I conclude its the soy beans. I have made many times in Australia, with presumably Australian soy beans. Anyone with similar experiences and suggestions?

• Like 1

Soy milk is very easy to make, just soak the beans, vitamise then filter through the rice clothe and then cook. However I have wanted to make tofu. I don't think the beans I have been getting from Makro are quite right compared to those I am use to in Australia. They are smaller and a little shriveled looking. Anyway finally managed to source some epsom salts (I think!!) from a chinese medicine shop 10 baht per 100g. My first attempt well, the epsom salt solution just didn't seem to curdle the milk. Then I tried lemon juice and vinegar. Eventually it did curdle but a very fine and seems still a milky solution. I tried filtering but just too fine and not get a good curdle. Today I tried again this time small amount of milk and heaps of epsom salt solution just to see if it was perhaps the salts. I left it for some time and whola it did curdle but still very fine, useless for tofu. I conclude its the soy beans. I have made many times in Australia, with presumably Australian soy beans. Anyone with similar experiences and suggestions?

I have been making soy milk for many years and never ever came across 'shrivelled' looking beans available at Makro. (It's a dried product you know, similar to other legumes such as lentils, peas, kidney beans etc.).

And could you please elaborate on 'vitamise'?

Oh

I think he is telling you what to eat, and you are telling him to use lard.

Thats how I read it anyway.

<deleted> that has to do with Thais and soy milk is anyones guess.

But carry on...

I have been making soy milk for many years and never ever came across 'shrivelled' looking beans available at Makro. (It's a dried product you know, similar to other legumes such as lentils, peas, kidney beans etc.).

Yes I guess we must be spoiled in Australia when it comes to soy beans. Yes I realise its a dried product so perhaps shrivelled wasn't the right word, they just look smaller. I think I know where I have been going wrong. The instructions on the pack say to use 1kg of beans to 4 litres of water so I conclude the beans are indeed not as potent as our Australian grown ones. In Australia I would soak about 300g of water and use plenty of water to vitamise them and would end up with nearly a kg of tofu. My last attempt was a 500g packet with 6 litres of water.

Oh and vitamise or vitamize depending on which continent you live on, means to blend, to turn the beans into a liquid so it can be filtered through the clothe.

Now I have 1kg of beans soaking so wish me luck with my next attempt with only 4 litres of water!!

[snip]

Oh and vitamise or vitamize depending on which continent you live on, means to blend, to turn the beans into a liquid so it can be filtered through the clothe.

No mate, vitamis(z)e doesn't mean that at all! Hint: Goggle can be your friend :-)

• 4 weeks later...

Back in Australia, I rediscovered what I was doing wrong with the tofu making, I didn't allow the soy milk to boil. Also my comment about Thai soy beans being smaller and shrivelled up. Well I think the reason is Australia grows the Bunya variety, larger and suitable for soy milk high yield and tofu. and is non gmo.

http://www.csiro.au/~/media/CSIROau/Divisions/CSIRO%20Entomology/NewAussieSoybean_ento_pdf%20Standard.pdf

in israel there is dairy icecream and parve which has no dairy in it but as someone mentioned has vegetable emulsifiers ...btw goat milk is built different ly and some of us can eat goat cheese .but soy in the cooking and coffee. I fiont know how much dairy is in the McDonald's as here it's non dairy due to kashrut.btw dogs and cats should not be fed milk as it causes diahrea.yogurt is more well tolerated but not a necessity for them

No dairy in any of the fast food chains worldwide, none in western ice cream either unless specified as a premium product.

Hasn't been dairy in most western ice cream for over 20 years.

what do you mean by western ice cream?

The V-fit germinated brown rice milk is organic, and found in many supermarkets, and is inexpensive. 45 baht for a liter. The blue label, is sugar free. It tastes good, And is infinitely healthier to consume than soy milk, which has marginal nutritional qualities.

Again as in soy milk why don't you make it yourself, the only investment is a blender, get a high speed one. 200g of cooked rice to say a litre of water. Blend to very fine and drink. 45 baht sounds expensive to me, more than a litre of milk.