London Embassy - apparently not being kept informed?

I just telephoned the London Thai Embassy to confirm what visa I'm entitled to (Single, age 59, wishing to stay in Thailand for about 6 months.)

The very pleasant lady confirmed what many of us were fairly sure of anyway - I can get an OA if I want to do the Criminal Record and Medical checks but CANNOT get a Multiple O until I start receiving a State Pension at age 65.

I also asked her how long 2 or 3 entry Tourist Visas were taking to process by post - reply 7 to 10 days and she confirmed that the last entry must be within 6 months of the issue date - i.e. that has not changed.

I mentioned to her that I might convert the TV to an O in Thailand and here's the odd bit - she seemed to think that it can still be done at ANY Immigration Office. When I told her that I was under the impression that it could now only be done in Bangkok, and selected other Immigration Offices, she seemed surprised. I didn't labour the point, just thanked her and ended the call.

I realise it's not the same department but does anyone else think it's odd that the Embassy is not being kept up to date? Or has anyone got any DEFINITE information that things might revert to any IO being able to do conversions? Please no rumor-mongering or conjecture!!

Edited by VBF

Embassies / consulates are under the Minister of Foreign Affairs. Immigration bureau it is not, formally is a branch of RTP. They don't have and are not updated on their respective policies, even more when are not officially announced like this one.

Anyway, you convert to a non-imm visa in a divions HQ office, Bangkok, Hat Yai, Chiang Mai. You can read any of the many threads about.

Edited by paz

what is a multiple TV, do you mean a 2 or 3 entry tourist visa

Yes Steve - sorry if that wasn't clear.

Paz Yes I realise it's not ONLY Bangkok, but my point is that (for example) one USED to be able to do it at Jomtien, Phuket etc. Now it's only a selected few Immigration Offices (as you say) As I said, i realise they're different departments but it would be nice if the left hand talked to the right hand! whistling.gif

I've amended my original post for clarity.....

Edited by VBF

Thai Consular Facilities report to the Foreign Office and Immigration the Home Office, so it's not particularly surprising that the left hand is not aware (or at least up to date) as to what the right hand is doing.

Secondly., individual Consular Facilities are able to 'interpret' the regulations, thus producing these local 'variations.'

Welcome to bureaucracy - Thai style.

it could simply be that the LE is not particularly interested in procedures such as the one mentioned in the OP, it might be different if conversions were no longer possible at all in Thailand as they may need to inform people if they are applying for a Single Type O for that purpose