Top Thai police linked to unrest, oil smuggling

webfact

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shocking, this will really make havoc for the ponzi/ pyramid police scam, all this money taken out of the pot!! And no money for the up and comers!

but seriously these guys must have been doing this for many years to have saved that much.

i do think they must have been giving a cut to others. Maybe army wasnt one of the benefactors?

I have a feeling that nothing is going to come of this....it will disappear from the headlines, then disappear from the inner pages before sinking without trace from the media....and everyone will start going about their usual business. There is vast money to be had being head of Marine Police...oil smuggling is huge and the demand for duty free gas will only increase as the military remove the subsidies from energy next year.

EX-CIB chief and three officers granted bail

11-24-2014-8-35-32-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Former Central Investigation Bureau (CIB) commissioner Pol Lt-Gen Pongpat Chayaphan, his former deputy, Pol Maj-Gen Kowit Muangnuan and two other police officers charged with malfeasance in office, bribery, money laundering among other charges were released on bail Monday afternoon.

Police did not give details about the amount of money or property put up as bail by each of the four officers who also included Pol Maj-Gen Boonsueb Praithoen and Pol Col Kowit Muangnuan.

Six other suspects were detained for another 12 days as police rejected their request for bail. They were identified as Pol Col Wutthichart Luensukhan, Pol Acting Sub-Lt Surasak Chan-ngao, Pol Acting Sub-Lt ChakarinLaothong, Mrs Sawong Moongthiang, Mr Chob Chinprapa and Mrs Tiyaphan Chinprapa.

Two more suspects, Mrs Sudathip Muangnuan and Mr Roengsak Saknarong are still on the run.

Pol Gen Somyot Poompanmuang, the national police chief, is to hold a press conference tomorrow morning to divulge more details about the case against this gang.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/ex-cib-chief-three-officers-granted-bail

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2014-11-25

Did he secure his bail with illegally obtained assets? If so, he has nothing to lose here and is free to join the rest of his wealth in Europe or elsewhere. He should never have gotten bail as he will do a 'Vatana' or a 'Thaksin'. Bribes are powerful hard to resist; especially when the briber is worth two Billion Baht. I guess the six lesser criminals didn't have enough money to OK a bail being set.

Well with the Thai courts it will need 10 years till anything is happening.

To me what they did in the south could be interpreted as against their own people and the country and it could call for capital punishment. It could start real reforms under the martial law with serious consequences to those who commit the crime. Will it happen?

The type of activities in the Deep South referred to in the OP have been mentioned a number of times in media reports. IMO the people in the OP should be charged with treason. I assume treason charges would mean no bail, no release from detention if conviction appealed, no ability to abscond overseas whilst waiting out the Statute of Limitations.

EX-CIB chief and three officers granted bail

11-24-2014-8-35-32-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Former Central Investigation Bureau (CIB) commissioner Pol Lt-Gen Pongpat Chayaphan, his former deputy, Pol Maj-Gen Kowit Muangnuan and two other police officers charged with malfeasance in office, bribery, money laundering among other charges were released on bail Monday afternoon.

Police did not give details about the amount of money or property put up as bail by each of the four officers who also included Pol Maj-Gen Boonsueb Praithoen and Pol Col Kowit Muangnuan.

Six other suspects were detained for another 12 days as police rejected their request for bail. They were identified as Pol Col Wutthichart Luensukhan, Pol Acting Sub-Lt Surasak Chan-ngao, Pol Acting Sub-Lt ChakarinLaothong, Mrs Sawong Moongthiang, Mr Chob Chinprapa and Mrs Tiyaphan Chinprapa.

Two more suspects, Mrs Sudathip Muangnuan and Mr Roengsak Saknarong are still on the run.

Pol Gen Somyot Poompanmuang, the national police chief, is to hold a press conference tomorrow morning to divulge more details about the case against this gang.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/ex-cib-chief-three-officers-granted-bail

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2014-11-25

Did he secure his bail with illegally obtained assets? If so, he has nothing to lose here and is free to join the rest of his wealth in Europe or elsewhere. He should never have gotten bail as he will do a 'Vatana' or a 'Thaksin'. Bribes are powerful hard to resist; especially when the briber is worth two Billion Baht. I guess the six lesser criminals didn't have enough money to OK a bail being set.

Well with the Thai courts it will need 10 years till anything is happening.

The case will be 'on hold' while the general is out of the country long enough for the statute of limitations kicks in and the good general can return say, about twenty years. There are some editorials calling for a new law excluding political corruption from any statute of limitations. The problem with that is, politicians will have to vote on it. Maybe the new constitution drafting committee can make it part of the new constitution.

can you say 'purge'?

This is definitely a good start and happy to see, but wouldn't yet qualify as a 'purge' yet.

Let's see 100 more similar cases and I will then use the word 'purge'

I have a feeling the OP was alluding to how unfair this arrest is because these are red-shirt police.

Whenever red-shirts have no way to excuse what someone did, their last line of defence is 'other people do it as well'. They NEVER admit they did anything wrong.

I'm sure the new head of the DSI, or any other official for that matter, will not comment but it would be nice to know if this case has just suddenly appeared on the radar or was it known about, suspected or even hinted at previously.

The question cannot be answered because it would beg the question why was nothing done ?

I'm sure many will suspect that political affiliations, loyalties etc may have something to do with the current action and possibly why nothing was done earlier.

The current head of the DSI was appointed only last month. Maybe one of his enemies delivered his head on a silver platter to the new DSI. This is Thailand so just about any story you can think up is plausible.

Yes. Same same the world over though, as this article mentions happening elsewhere.

I like your Dr. Ron Paul quote RametinDallas in your signature.

What kills me is the masses all over (many are here), that blindly do whatever "The Government" says to do, no matter how stupid it is.

They continue to spout "but it's the law!".

Granted, any functioning society needs a few rules, but when they are selectively enforced, it tends to make them all pretty damned stupid.

In the USA, there is precious little one cannot be arrested for, if the cop wants to screw with you.

In Thailand they have a giant "Law" called Lesse Majeste where they can sweep up anybody they want to on an allegation, which I am still waiting to hear details of in this case.

I have no love nor hate for Thaksin, but, aside from his arrest warrants in Thailand, he has the ultimate in Freedom, which is more than one passport.

Some time ago when talking with a Thai friend who is in a position of some prominence within the civil administration network he let it slip that a certain gentleman who suffers from a chronic ongoing ear affliction was rather heavily involved in somewhat disruptive and aggressive acts in the South as was a ''political crusader who had donated ground for a public park in Bangkok in the past and who had been a somewhat controversial M.P. too who was recently seen carrying a lamp to light the way to the path of democracy? Well that's what the said character claimed anyway.

Now was the controversial ex M.P. perhaps seeking a refund on his past ''investments'' due to poor returns, perhaps a chronically ill person was or is trying to scramble back into favour along with consolidating his errant sons police position thus these recent starling revelations concerning a flexible renta cop?

Indeed it is a tangled web of deceit, dishonesty and intrigue along with mysterious deaths too.

fbf7df4f1a29da75b658033593e3a242.jpg

Well well, hope springs eternal? Could it be arranged to hang both of these miscreants and the sons of one in the aforementioned "public " park, between the hours of 10 am and 4 pm of course?? thumbsup.gifwai.gif

Well a few red shirt police seem to have been cut out of this business.

Two questions:

1. Will the authorities continue investigation into illegal police activities beyond simply known red shirt sympathisers, in other words based on the law rather than political affiliation.

2. Who will step in and take over this business? Because sure as eggs are eggs, someone will. Again, I hope the law prevails in terms of stopping any new entrepreneur, rather than it being just a case of new owners of a different political persuasion.

Contraband to "back" the insurgents... it is why the "insurgents" exist in the first place. They are nothing more than gangsters running rackets and protection rings, using separatism/religion as a front. The contraband is not how they are funded... it is the entire modus operandi and explanation for their existence.

Being that the RTP are notorious for flashing and parading their hauls and suspects in the media it is very strange that in this instance there are no pictures of the money and gold and other items siezed???

Likewise with another very recent and similar case.