Good Restaurants in Chiang Mai

stament

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've tasted worse things than chickens feet. They don't taste foul compared to some things I've had before. Actually tried a chickens head once just for the hell of it.

I do like takatan once in a while ;-)

Edited by stament

I went to Googleville but was unable to pin down 'takatan'. The closest possible is some kind of pan fried chicken in curry sauce cooked in a special fry pan using large metallic tongs which are beaten against the pan rim to make a special sound which goes like 'tak tak tak a tan tan tan'. Delicious, eh?

I went to Googleville but was unable to pin down 'takatan'. The closest possible is some kind of pan fried chicken in curry sauce cooked in a special fry pan using large metallic tongs which are beaten against the pan rim to make a special sound which goes like 'tak tak tak a tan tan tan'. Delicious, eh?

Fried grasshoppers - my thai pronunciation and equivalent English sounding spelling isn't the best, apologies.

Fried grasshoppers - my thai pronunciation and equivalent English sounding spelling isn't the best, apologies.

Maybe just stick to English then. I am pretty good with sounds and with phonetic spelling, but the Thai word for fried grasshoppers is not in my limited vocabulary.

I think "tack gaw tan" might be pretty close. I just now found a web site that used the spelling "tak ga tan."

But since Thai is a lyrical language, you would need to know when and where to go up, down, or stay in the mid-range when you speak. My guess would be:

no upwards or downwards tone: tack

downword tone: gaw

upward tone: tan!

But I may be way off.

Edited by JulieM

Then admit it, they SUCK. I can find nothing remotely pleasurable about eating them on their own - unless you are starving to death. They would be fine in "delicious Jewish chicken soup", because you leave them in the bowl and eat everything else - the stuff that actually tastes good. tongue.png

But General, you have never had my Mama's chicken feet in her traditional European home cooked chicken soup.

It is toe licked good. ;)

Salsa Kitchen changed their menu a bit. The chipotle chicken taco was pretty tasty as was the pork burritos. The combo is a lot of food! Good thing I was hungry. There is a duck carnitas (crispy duck confit carnitas) that sounded tempting, but I did not try that.

I think "tack gaw tan" might be pretty close. I just now found a web site that used the spelling "tak ga tan."

But since Thai is a lyrical language, you would need to know when and where to go up, down, or stay in the mid-range when you speak. My guess would be:

no upwards or downwards tone: tack

downword tone: gaw

upward tone: tan!

But I may be way off.

Hello JulieM,

you come close, but not exactly right. Okay I try to explain.

The thaiword for grasshopper is ตั๊กแตน

Like you said the word have 3 syllables, first 2 with short vowels and the last one with a long vowel.

tak - the a sound of vowel is similar to the one in sun, t is more a dt. It is a high tone

ga - same vowel as above and low tone (official writing is ka but sounds more like a g)

taen - long vowel like in air (without r) and again the t is more like a dt. Flat tone for this one

You could copy the thaiword, put in the box of google translator and click on the loudspeaker symbol...et voila

Enjoy learning phaasaa thai ;-)

Off topic. This is the CM restaurant thread. Anyway, i can't read Thai. The difference between crickets and grasshoppers coming out of the boiling oil will be very small. I've eaten silkworm larvae and bar b qued ram penis in China. Chewy.

I thought I add 2 more places:

- 3 baht noodle restaurant: Aside from Kao Soi and Galae, I usually take visitors here too. Always fun to eat noodle for 3 baht, you just need about 10 dishes to get full. But fun place to go to.

- if you like a bit more upscale dining along the Ping River, try Samsen Villa. Good view, very nice location and views, good Thai food. Place is popular especially on weekends you should make a reservation. Prices about 800-900 baht for 2 person.

Salsa Kitchen changed their menu a bit. The chipotle chicken taco was pretty tasty as was the pork burritos. The combo is a lot of food! Good thing I was hungry. There is a duck carnitas (crispy duck confit carnitas) that sounded tempting, but I did not try that.

I also like Salsa kitchen. Had not eaten there in a long time, but the last 3-4 weeks I've been there a couple of times. Nice food, nicely presented and reasonably priced. Around 200-250B for most dishes I think.

It's located not far from Kad Suan Kaew. Just continue with KSK on your left till you come to the Shell gas station 100m further up the road, and

Salsa kitchen is on the other side of the road. Saw a sign at Salsa kitchen that you can park at the Shell station, so presumably they have some agreement.

I was a very frequent visitor to Salsa Kitchen when there were at their previous location off Ratwithi. Adored sitting out on the deck with a huge plate of ribs, rain pouring down and the additional sound of 4 bars each playing different reggae tunes. Loved it.

Must stop buy and check those ribs again.

I was a very frequent visitor to Salsa Kitchen when there were at their previous location off Ratwithi. Adored sitting out on the deck with a huge plate of ribs, rain pouring down and the additional sound of 4 bars each playing different reggae tunes. Loved it.

Umm. I used to get those once in awhile, but I don't think they are on the menu any more. At least, I don't remember it being on the menu. Maybe call first, so you don't get disappointed?

Umm. I used to get those once in awhile, but I don't think they are on the menu any more. At least, I don't remember it being on the menu. Maybe call first, so you don't get disappointed?

Pretty sure the ribs are still on the menu, toward the back, after the Mexican-style dishes.

I was at Salsa Kitchen yesterday. I had the chicken burrito SF mission style and a bowl of guacamole. Huge serving of food. I couldn't quite finish it. Next time I need to skip the guacamole.

Thank you for sharing this.

It is of inestimable value.

I had a tuna sandwhich for lunch and a couple ( or more ) of beers before I drove back to the office, to expel onion,tuna and beer fumes on my long suffering staff.

I had a tuna sandwhich for lunch and a couple ( or more ) of beers before I drove back to the office, to expel onion,tuna and beer fumes on my long suffering staff.

Phil, did you ever find a way to get those toxic fumes out of the factory, or are your staff members still breathing in that stuff?

Phil, did you ever find a way to get those toxic fumes out of the factory, or are your staff members still breathing in that stuff?

Your point is ???

The Thapae Gate McDonald's is better. tongue.png

have you tried soi1 bar bakery on chaiyaphum soi1? had really 1st class sausage and mash,my partner had their home made chicken pie that was the best ive tasted,they gave us home baked bread to mop up the plate,the best bread we've tasted since leaving europe

Pretty sure the ribs are still on the menu, toward the back, after the Mexican-style dishes.

Walked by the other day and checked... Yes, you are right. It is in the back of the menu. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Yummy Pizza on the canal rd is another great choice.

Just want to verify that they are still on Canal road next to Koolpunt View 7? Their Facebook page when you click on the map sends you off to Mahidol road but typing into Google Maps shows it on Canal Road.