Ebola monitoring: Sierra Leone man found and held at Suvarnabhumi Airport

webfact

Are you still waiting, BP? Your dinner's getting cold, you know.

Actually everyones dinner is getting cold, waiting for Bluespunk's explanation.

I'm still waiting for you to point out where I posted what accused me of saying.

Maybe you should clarify what you had in mind, since two possible scenarios have been denied by you already, and I really can't think up any other.

Wooloomooloo by the way has also informed you already that he's confused about the meaning of your response to him, so I'm not the only one.

Are you still waiting, BP? Your dinner's getting cold, you know.

Actually everyones dinner is getting cold, waiting for Bluespunk's explanation.

I'm still waiting for you to point out where I posted what accused me of saying.

Maybe you should clarify what you had in mind, since two possible scenarios have been denied by you already, and I really can't think up any other.

Wooloomooloo by the way has also informed you already that he's confused about the meaning of your response to him, so I'm not the only one.

I'm still waiting. You have accused me of saying I am against testing. It's not difficult to understand. Show me where I said that…….

I'm still waiting. You have accused me of saying I am against testing. It's not difficult to understand. Show me where I said that…….

Instead of keep denying everything, give a reasonable explanation for your silly comment to Wooloomooloo, or <deleted>

Instead of keep denying everything, give a reasonable explanation for your silly comment to Wooloomooloo, or <deleted>

I have nothing to deny.

If your friend wants an explanation, maybe he should quote my post in full.

Now, where did I say I am against testing.

Edited by Bluespunk

I have nothing to deny.

There.

I have nothing to deny.

Nope

I have nothing to deny.

There.

Thought not. Because I never said any such thing.

Bit late for tea, a spot of supper maybe.

Edited by Bluespunk

I have nothing to deny.

There.

What

Never shown symptoms.

Isn't now showing symptoms.

Probably won't show symptoms.

Stopped because of his nationality and nothing else.

This has to be the worst comment I've seen on Thai Visa in a while, by someone who just won't accept the way things are done and can't see why they are done that way.

Why do you think he was targeted? He is from one of Ebola 'hot-spots' and was told to report when he lands. He didn't follow these instructions and put the Kingdom and its citizens and risk. He deserved to be reprimanded for it.

Shame on you for howling at the authorities for doing their job.

Doing their duty included losing him did it?

He had no symptoms and still does not.

Authorities quite happy to put him on a plane with other passengers.

How much of a risk did he ever really pose?

How much risk are you ready to expose yourself and your family to when the disease kills you by you bleeding from every orifice with a mortality rate of 70%.

From what little is known about this disease, everyone is affected differently and the incubation period before one shows symptoms is UP TO 21 days. Some medical professionals believe that there is a small percentage of the infected who take even longer than 21 days to show symptoms. The first case in the US was at the hospital in Dallas where I go for my medical services and we got tons of education about Ebola. It is not something to be trifled with because during the long latency, before symptoms are noticed, the person is still infectious and can spread the disease long before they show symptoms. More than five thousand souls have died despite efforts by the world community to stop the progression of the disease. This fellow shows a complete disregard for his fellow humans and I am glad he is out of the country; but who's monitoring him now? Does the name, Typhoid Mary, ring a bell?

• Like 2

I have nothing to deny.

There.

What

You posted one word, a meaningless one true, I realised you couldn't find anything to back up your claim, so decided to help you out and explain your failure to you.

Is that clear enough for you?

Never shown symptoms.

This has to be the worst comment I've seen on Thai Visa in a while, by someone who just won't accept the way things are done and can't see why they are done that way.

Why do you think he was targeted? He is from one of Ebola 'hot-spots' and was told to report when he lands. He didn't follow these instructions and put the Kingdom and its citizens and risk. He deserved to be reprimanded for it.

How much risk are you ready to expose yourself and your family to when the disease kills you by you bleeding from every orifice with a mortality rate of 70%.

From what little is known about this disease, everyone is affected differently and the incubation period before one shows symptoms is UP TO 21 days. Some medical professionals believe that there is a small percentage of the infected who take even longer than 21 days to show symptoms. The first case in the US was at the hospital in Dallas where I go for my medical services and we got tons of education about Ebola. It is not something to be trifled with because during the long latency, before symptoms are noticed, the person is still infectious and can spread the disease long before they show symptoms. More than five thousand souls have died despite efforts by the world community to stop the progression of the disease. This fellow shows a complete disregard for his fellow humans and I am glad he is out of the country; but who's monitoring him now? Does the name, Typhoid Mary, ring a bell?

He was considered safe enough to send to his hotel.

He was considered safe enough not to quarantine.

He has been considered safe enough to put on a plane.

He has no symptoms.

What

You posted one word, a meaningless one true, I realised you couldn't find anything to back up your claim, so decided to help you out and explain your failure to you.

Who is saying something about posting meaningless one word posts ?

post-222439-0-04900800-1416927769_thumb.

What

Who is saying something about posting meaningless one word posts ?

attachicon.gifBluespunk.JPG

I am.

Now, about that baseless accusation you made….?

Never shown symptoms.

When I went through BKK in October, arriving from Africa, not a soul paid any attention to me. No one checked my health, looked at my Ebola form, which asked way too much info, not even my yellow fever card which was checked THREE times in Africa and I was told I wouldn't be allowed to board the plane without showing them because I "need it to enter Thailand". I still have my Ebola form somewhere on my desk at work.

The authorities are not doing their jobs, but I don't see why anyone would be surprised at that. The color of my skin makes no difference to Ebola.

He has no symptoms.

I understand what you're saying and I'm not trying to argue with you but to educate you. The Thai health authorities' decision not to monitor him do not make me comfortable. There is a fine line between protecting the community at large and violating someone's civil rights. In the US, a nurse and a doctor (separate incidents) who returned from working with Ebola patients were forcibly quarantined for 21 days. That is a little more strict than what the Thai health authorities imposed on this gentleman. He raised suspicion when he didn't/wouldn't come in for a follow-up exam. The person in Dallas, who died from Ebola, had no symptoms two weeks after he left Africa and lied to authorities when he said he had not been around any Ebola sufferers. After his death, it came out that he carried a dying pregnant woman to a clinic and when he realized it was full, he carried her back home. He was infected but lied. Human nature tells us people will lie to get what they want. He wanted to come to Dallas but knew he wouldn't be allowed if he told the truth. Because of his irresponsible actions one nurse caught Ebola (saved) and another quarantined. The fellow in the OP is suspect because of where he comes from.

This is one of the most contagious and deadly diseases facing the world today and just because Thai authorities consider him safe enough to send to his hotel and safe enough not to quarantine and safe enough to put on a plane or because he has no symptoms... yet, does not make him safe. When did you become so confident in the competence of Thai health authorities? BTW, putting him on a plane before the 21 day incubation period is over is irresponsible and just passes the (potential) problem to some other country.

"Sierra Leone man found and held" what sort of journalism is this?..they just racially profiled him...they other day i heard police were going about asking for the yellow fever card when they meet any black man.....all BS

I believe there are people of quite a few races with Sierra Leone nationality, and I support the testing of anyone coming from there, whether they be Negro, Caucasian, Chinese, Australian Aborigine, Inuit, or any other.

Just get as much information on his whereabouts as possible and stick him on the next flight.

If he does not cooperating now in giving information on his whereabouts and where he has traveled he wont exactly be much good if he is struck down with it.

Not sure if i would want him stuck on the next flight if i was on the flight.

He has no symptoms.

I understand what you're saying and I'm not trying to argue with you but to educate you. The Thai health authorities' decision not to monitor him do not make me comfortable. There is a fine line between protecting the community at large and violating someone's civil rights. In the US, a nurse and a doctor (separate incidents) who returned from working with Ebola patients were forcibly quarantined for 21 days. That is a little more strict than what the Thai health authorities imposed on this gentleman. He raised suspicion when he didn't/wouldn't come in for a follow-up exam. The person in Dallas, who died from Ebola, had no symptoms two weeks after he left Africa and lied to authorities when he said he had not been around any Ebola sufferers. After his death, it came out that he carried a dying pregnant woman to a clinic and when he realized it was full, he carried her back home. He was infected but lied. Human nature tells us people will lie to get what they want. He wanted to come to Dallas but knew he wouldn't be allowed if he told the truth. Because of his irresponsible actions one nurse caught Ebola (saved) and another quarantined. The fellow in the OP is suspect because of where he comes from.

This is one of the most contagious and deadly diseases facing the world today and just because Thai authorities consider him safe enough to send to his hotel and safe enough not to quarantine and safe enough to put on a plane or because he has no symptoms... yet, does not make him safe. When did you become so confident in the competence of Thai health authorities? BTW, putting him on a plane before the 21 day incubation period is over is irresponsible and just passes the (potential) problem to some other country.

I would think this guy knows more about ebola than most of us being where he is from.

He would know that the best hope, albeit a less than certain one, for survival is early treatment.

Do you not think he would seek such treatment if he displayed symptoms?

There has to be a point where people are either banned from entry if they are such a risk or they are allowed to travel free if they exhibit no symptoms on the understanding they seek treatment at any sign of infection.

If it is felt people are too dishonest or selfish to seek treatment for the sake of everyone then ban them.

It makes more sense than the current approach.

What happened with this guys 7 friends? [Genuine question}.

Edited by Bluespunk

He has no symptoms.

I would think this guy knows more about ebola than most of us being where he is from.

He would know that the best hope, albeit a less than certain one, for survival is early treatment.

There has to be a point where people are either banned from entry if they are such a risk or they are allowed to travel free if they exhibit no symptoms on the understanding they seek treatment at any sign of infection.

If it is felt people are too dishonest or selfish to seek treatment for the sake of everyone then ban them.

I would disagree with that statement as the news media of Sierra Leone may not be as well staffed with medical editors as Western newspapers and we have no clue if this guy even followed the news. I wouldn't assume this guy knows squat about Ebola. He may but I wouldn't assume that.

True, but he would wait until he had symptoms and by that time he could have infected hundreds if not thousands in a crowded city like Bangkok.

Yes, but by that time it is usually too late for him and all the unsuspecting he contaminated.

It is not for me to decide but with a disease that has a 70% mortality rate and you can be infectious for 21 days before you show symptoms, I would quarantine the whole country where the numbers are highest. Many countries in the region have sealed their borders. Sierra Leone is a level 3 country where potential visitors are advised to stay away. http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/warning/ebola-sierra-leone

This guy has proved he is irresponsible and doesn't care about anyone else. Remember when AIDS patients would intentionally infect others because they were angry at the world because they were going to die? Humans can be some sick <deleted>.

He has no symptoms.

I would disagree with that statement as the news media of Sierra Leone may not be as well staffed with medical editors as Western newspapers and we have no clue if this guy even followed the news. I wouldn't assume this guy knows squat about Ebola. He may but I wouldn't assume that.

True, but he would wait until he had symptoms and by that time he could have infected hundreds if not thousands in a crowded city like Bangkok.

Yes, but by that time it is usually too late for him and all the unsuspecting he contaminated.

It is not for me to decide but with a disease that has a 70% mortality rate and you can be infectious for 21 days before you show symptoms, I would quarantine the whole country where the numbers are highest. Many countries in the region have sealed their borders. Sierra Leone is a level 3 country where potential visitors are advised to stay away. http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/warning/ebola-sierra-leone

This guy has proved he is irresponsible and doesn't care about anyone else. Remember when AIDS patients would intentionally infect others because they were angry at the world because they were going to die? Humans can be some sick <deleted>.

I thought you weren't infectious until you showed symptoms. Is that not correct?

Edited by Bluespunk

I thought you weren't infectious until you showed symptoms. Is that not correct?

“part of what makes people so afraid of Ebola is that people infected with the disease can mistake it, in its early stages, for a normal flu, and, say, board a plane. But at that point, the disease just isn't very contagious yet.”

http://www.vox.com/2014/10/9/6905347/too-afraid-to-ask-about-ebola-virus-outbreak-symptoms

post-102528-0-91201900-1416991312_thumb.

part of what makes people so afraid of Ebola is that people infected with the disease can mistake it, in its early stages, for a normal flu, and, say, board a plane. But at that point, the disease just isn't very contagious yet.

http://www.vox.com/2014/10/9/6905347/too-afraid-to-ask-about-ebola-virus-outbreak-symptoms

attachicon.gifStages of Ebola Disease.jpg

Lol.

"Ah, Sir, we just wanted to let you know that we're going to be seating you next to an Ebola patient on our flight today. You may notice some symptoms, but please do not be alarmed. We can assure you he is not 'very' contagious yet. Thank-you for your understanding. "

• Like 1

Never shown symptoms.

That's beside the point-he didn't follow the rules of the country he entered.

They didn't "lose him" - he flouted the requirements (which were minimal) set for him.

The onset of symptoms can be relatively rapid. Getting ON a long flight without any obvious ones doesn't mean there won't be any by the time it lands. Lots of brave talk here, but how many would volunteer to sit next to him on that flight, or even not try to rebook a different flight...

Life & death matters here - a bit of caution doesn't seem out of place (but the race card definitely is).