Honest Taxi Driver returns 'lost' valuables to British Tourist in Pattaya

webfact

At first these stories were great. But my skeptical side takes over when I see one a week in the news. There must be an awful lot of brain dead tourists riding around in taxis these days. Makes you wonder how they were able to travel all the way to Thailand without mommy along.

You would be amazed at these people leave their brains back at the departure airport. It's not just here in Los but world over. People think they're invincible once they're at an airport.

These drivers who go a long way out of their way to return stuff are going beyond the expected and deserve a good reward.

Leave something in my cab and I take it to the most convenient police station I see when I have no passenger, up to you to negotiate with the police for its return. If you want it returned immediately, you pay the fare from where I am. Phones and wallets are the most common things I find, especially if I work Friday or Saturday night. One cop was not impressed when I had 3 new iPhones to log as lost property.

taxi driver don't look too happy .... maybe no reward came forward ! ........ coffee1.gif

If you read the full story it tells you he was offered and accepted a monetary reward - but does not say how much smile.png

Oh and when I clicked on the link my AV came up with a warning of a virus on the page.

At first these stories were great. But my skeptical side takes over when I see one a week in the news. There must be an awful lot of brain dead tourists riding around in taxis these days. Makes you wonder how they were able to travel all the way to Thailand without mommy along.

You would be amazed at these people leave their brains back at the departure airport. It's not just here in Los but world over. People think they're invincible once they're at an airport.

Actually, traveling is very stressful. One is forced to think about every unfamiliar action and it's implication - which is not true in our daily lives - which are mostly on "autopilot."

I was very fortunate last week in Chiang Rai airport. I have 2 pieces of luggage. One is medium size and one is small enough for carry-on. I also have a shoulder bag, where I keep my cash and credit cards. I put all 3 items thru the X-ray machine upon entering the building. When I collected them on the other side of the body scanner, I grabbed both pieces of luggage, but forgot about the shoulder bag - thinking it inside the smaller carry-on piece. I proceeding to the waiting room. After 20 minutes or so, I opened the carry-on bag and noticed the shoulder bag was not there. I was gripped by panic immediately!

Just then I heard my name being called over the PA system. I jumped to my feet and scurried back to the main lobby and asked the security agent where I should report. She pointed to the info desk. I ran over there and saw 3 smiling flight attendants with my bag in front of them. I told them it was mine and showed them my passport. I then asked them how they knew the bag was mine. They explained that I had left a print-out from the hotel that I was staying at in Bangkok inside. My name was showing. I looked thru the bag and everything was there - including the pouch that contained all my valuables. I showed them the small envelope which contained (22) $100 bills. Their eyes got wide and their jaws dropped! I found a container with some Dove chocolates and gave one to each lady. They were happy for the treats and I was so grateful to get my bag back.

Another incident happened yesterday right in front on me. I was on board the Sun Cruise Line vessel at the Port of Manila - departing for Corregidor Island. An old lady had purchased something from the snack bar. She had dropped a folded up P1000 note. A stewardess found it and gave it to the clerk behind the counter. He then pointed at the old lady. Together they walked over to her and asked if it belonged to her. She checked her pockets and discovered that it was indeed gone. Wow- another good deed. It makes everyone happy to do good. It makes everyone who witnesses it happy as well. We wish all the bad people were gone and only the good, honest people remained. Maybe it will be so in heaven.

• Like 1

The first time I heard a story like this...I believed it. The second time... I believed it.... the third? Getting suspicious...the fourth? C'Mon! TAT is at it again! Staging fake acts of honesty and kindness ... just like the "I hate Thailand" vid.

Well done TAT!

w00t.gif

Taxi driver returns cash over Bt100,000 to British tourist

PATTAYA: -- A taxi driver returned a bag containing Thai and foreign bank notes worth over Bt100,000 and other valuables to a British tourist Tuesday evening.

The tourist, James Richardson, 51, took the taxi from Suvarnabhumi International Airport and forgot the bag.

The driver, Wichai Thaweekul, 53, found the bag when he stopped his taxi to adjust the front passenger seat and he alerted tourist police in Pattaya.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Taxi-driver-returns-cash-over-Bt100000-to-British--30248575.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-11-26

For the doubters, things are left in taxis or on buses or elsewhere up to 20 times a day and reported at Soi 9 station.

Even the few successful finds and returns far outnumber the times a reporter is there to publicise it like in this case.

Nothing to do with TAT.

• Like 1

For the doubters, things are left in taxis or on buses or elsewhere up to 20 times a day and reported at Soi 9 station.

Even the few successful finds and returns far outnumber the times a reporter is there to publicise it like in this case.

Nothing to do with TAT.

Can you give us link verifying those stats? Or at least the source of your information? Sounds like "hearsay" to me.

Edited by Fullstop
  • Like 1

completely agree!!!!!

• Like 1

It's hard to believe but I've met 1 or 2 honest taxi drivers in Bangkok, you know goes the quickest way. Good to see. I hope the guy gave the taxi driver a decent reward.

Who carries round a bag full of money anyway? Got how?

Where did it say the bag was full of money?

The first time I heard a story like this...I believed it. The second time... I believed it.... the third? Getting suspicious...the fourth? C'Mon! TAT is at it again! Staging fake acts of honesty and kindness ... just like the "I hate Thailand" vid.

Well done TAT!

w00t.gif

Negative and suspicious Again.

You must have a hard time in Thailand.

I would have thought the use of the " w00t.gif " smiley enforced the "tongue in cheek" nature of the post. But ironically...in view of recent stories of TAT desperation....my "tongue in cheek", "going against the rose coloured view points" .... just MAY have the "possibility" of being true.

Who knows?

........Now back to "popular opinion"

wai2.gif

Edited by Fullstop