PM Prayut asks public not to assume all police to be crooked

webfact

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

PM may be rest assured I do not think ALL Policemen to be crooks.

The ones I have occasionally met in the street are very nice people.

It is the creme de la creme that are. We all know what usually floats on top.

11 houses + 3 billion baht cash - definitely life savings of a man's wages!

Of course there are honest cops, remember one month ago two cops got a bonus because they refused getting bribed for traffic violations. That was a nice PR stunt! The whole institution is rot, I wonder how honest cops survive in this wasp hive..it also tells us something about Thai society in general no?

• Like 1

I am sure the General, his colleagues in the upper echelons of the armed forces, and the police chief and his associates all got where there wealth and positions they are today from good old hard graft..........

I take it you mean this definition of 'graft' then whistling.gif LOL

Graft, a form of political corruption, is the unscrupulous use of a politician's authority for personal gain. The term has its origins in the medical procedure whereby tissue is removed from one location and attached to another for which it was not originally intended. Similarly, political graft occurs when funds intended for public projects are intentionally misdirected in order to maximize the benefits to private interests.

(from Wiki)

I didn't know the General was also a stand up comedian.

Watch what happens to the crooks ... they'll all walk without penalty or at worst be given a couple of years inside only to come out and enjoy the fruits of their corrupt activities.

Talking of crime ... isn't a coup an act of treason?

• Like 1

In Chiang Rai I pass through a police checkpoint at a major intersection several times a week. While sitting at the stoplight I watch them pull over motorbike after motorbike to check documents or no helmet. I see them pull out a big ticket book and write tickets day after day. Not ONCE have I ever seen any money change hands.

While I have no doubt there are some crooked cops in Chiang Rai this particular bunch sure seems to do it by the book....in fact I have never even observed anyone appear to offer them a bribe which tells me that the locals somehow know that at least at this one intersection that won't work.

I wonder where they are keeping all that cash and valuables, and how much will have gone missing by the end of the investigation.

I bet a sizeable chunk has gone already ...

If corruption can occur within the police to this extent for so long then I think it is safe to assume it is happening all the way down the pyramid.

I'm also sure the same sort of thing happens all the time in the Army - we are just trading Thaksin for a lesser evil here, but Thailand and the people will remain the losers for many years yet.

• Like 1

I wonder where they are keeping all that cash and valuables, and how much will have gone missing by the end of the investigation.

I bet a sizeable chunk has gone already ...

If corruption can occur within the police to this extent for so long then I think it is safe to assume it is happening all the way down the pyramid.

I'm also sure the same sort of thing happens all the time in the Army - we are just trading Thaksin for a lesser evil here, but Thailand and the people will remain the losers for many years yet.

Thaksin was a kind of new breed of corrupt politician in Thailand. The old guard have been doing it for centuries. Masters shitting on the serfs as it always has been.

• Like 1

Despite all the thai bashing in here I think PM has a point .

They do try to clean up and this would probably never had happened under Yingluck.

makes you make such an asshat assumption? You sound just like the Thais with placing the blame on either Ying or her brother. Its endemic to Thai society not caused by either or of these 2 people. You conspiracy theory people are really lost in your own little 3ft world. <deleted>!

Edited by metisdead
Profane acronym

"PM Prayut asks public not to assume all police to be crooked"

The intentions are good, but sadly this sounds like an alcoholic in denial. Meaningful reform and change can't get far until there's an honest & widespread acknowledgement of the problem; one the world can see and which will involve serious loss of face for many...

In Chiang Rai I pass through a police checkpoint at a major intersection several times a week. While sitting at the stoplight I watch them pull over motorbike after motorbike to check documents or no helmet. I see them pull out a big ticket book and write tickets day after day. Not ONCE have I ever seen any money change hands.

While I have no doubt there are some crooked cops in Chiang Rai this particular bunch sure seems to do it by the book....in fact I have never even observed anyone appear to offer them a bribe which tells me that the locals somehow know that at least at this one intersection that won't work.

Where on earth do you think all the money collected goes? Just because they are not collecting in the streets doesn't mean they aren't pocketing all the fines that are paid.

I was in an Immigration office recently and one of the female officers went round the room and handed each officer a wad of notes, not 100's but 1000's, in sight of everyone who was there.

Salaries are not paid in cash so it could have only been 'tea money'.