Vendors sneak back on Phuket's beaches

webfact

Vendors sneak back on Phuket's beaches
Saran Mitrarat

1417142312_1-org.jpg
Masseuses at Kamala Beach. Legal? Illegal?

PHUKET: -- The high season has begun and the tourists are coming into Phuket in rapidly growing numbers every day.

This has put extra pressure on the authorities to come up with solutions that will satisfy the demand for loungers, umbrellas, and food and drink on the beaches, yet keep everything orderly.

Former Governor Maitri Inthusut posted an announcement on every beach in July, laying down the rules after the beaches were “reorganised” at the order of the National Council for Peace and Order.

The announcement warned, “If anyone tries to alter the beach landscape or is caught violating the details of this order, they will face legal action,”

This order is still in force. But how effective is it? When The Phuket News inspected the beaches on Tuesday and Wednesday this week (November 25 and 26) this is what we found:

Kata Noi: Some tourists have brought their umbrellas or towels, and beach vendors are selling food or massages.

Kata Yai: Temporary massage shops and beverage vendors have set up in the shade of the trees along the top of the beach. There were no beach loungers for rent.

North Karon Beach (near Karon circle): This was the place with the most umbrellas The Phuket News found. All, however, seem to have been brought onto the sand by the tourists themselves. Beach vendors were doing brisk business selling food, drink and souvenirs.

Tourists we spoke to confirmed that they had bought their umbrellas for B400 at a shop some 100 metres from the beach.

Patong Beach: A lot of tourists had brought their own towels for sunbathing. There were also a lot of loungers and plastic chairs arranged under the trees at the top of the beach.

In the shade, too, were temporary beverage shops, massage beds, tattoo services, and beach chairs for rent.

Tourists sitting on the beach chairs said that they were offered the use of a chair when they bought drinks from vendors. Some said they had paid to sit on the chairs in the shade.

The beach vendors, however, denied this. They said that the chairs and loungers had been brought by the tourists.

Kamala Beach: Some beach vendors have set up shop next to the walkway, inland from the beach. Some tourists had brought their own towels and umbrellas but there were also beach chairs apparently set out for rent, though this could not be confirmed.

Foreigners who were sitting under umbrellas on the beach all confirmed that they bought them from a shop nearby.

Surin Beach: Some private restaurants provide sunbeds for customers. Some set them down on the sand on demand, but some shops had already set out rows of beds (without umbrellas), which could be rented for B200 a pair.

Told about the sunbeds laid out for rent, OrBorTor Cherng Talay President Ma-ann Samran told The Phuket News he would take immediate action to arrest the operators.

The good news at Surin Beach is that after the report The Phuket News published on November 7 about dangerous behaviour there by jet skis, they were expelled by the Marine Department.

“Officers came to inspect the beach, then told all the jet ski to go away and not come back,” said a lifeguard. So far the ban seems to be working.

South Bangtao Beach: Rows of beach chairs and sunbeds for rent could be seen on the sand – though quite far from the sea. Some are on the rocks above the beach – which are, of course, public land.

Laypang Beach (Laguna): There are rows of sunbeds on the sand in front of some of the resorts, along with jet skis and speedboats parked on the beach.

Phuket Governor Nisit Jansomwong explained, however, that some resorts in the Laguna complex have the right to occupy part of the beaches because they have land titles issued before 2004 that show their land extending further out to the west than it does now.

“According to their land titles, the land markers are actually in the sea. Before the Asian Tsunami all of the beach front area used to be the owned land; the tsunami turned that land into beach,” Gov Nisit told The Phuket News.

The Chief of the Damrongtham Center Prapan Khanprasang confirmed this, and added, “The last time we went there, a hotel representative vowed that they would sue anyone else who accuses them of occupying public area,” he added.

Naithorn and Naiyang Beaches: There are no beach chair operators or beach vendors, partly because there are not many tourists. Some tourists had brought umbrellas themselves.

On Tuesday (November 25) Gov Nisit explained to The Phuket News that the beach issues could be separated into two main topics: beach chairs and umbrellas, and food and beverage sales.

“I personally handed a letter to the Director-General of the Land Department asking for clarification about beach chair and umbrellas. We are waiting for his response,” he said.

“I think if people can take some drinks or snacks to the beaches that is fine,” Gov Nisit said.

“But I think seafood meals or other main dishes should not be allowed as they they can cause a smelly garbage problem,” he said.

The Governor also explained that he has a proposal for zoning jet ski and other water sports operators, starting with Patong Beach, that he would present at the meeting.

“Swimming areas 500 metres wide will be marked out with buoys, tapering to 400 metres wide, 150 metres out from the beach.

“Between the swimming areas will be a 300-metre gap through which jet skis can come in from offshore to collect and deliver riders.

“[When not in use] all of the jet skis must be moored out beyond the swimming zones, and riding them at speed may only be done in an area no more than 1.8 kilometres from shore,” Gov Nisit explained.

Yesterday the Commander of the Royal Thai Navy 3rd Fleet, Vice-Admiral Sayan Prasongsamrej, made it quite clear that all commercial activity on the beach and on public land under the trees must stop immediately. That includes sales of food and drink.

If this activity doesn’t stop, he warned, he may send the troops in.

The plan for the jet skis was approved at yesterday’s meeting.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/vendors-sneak-back-on-phuket%E2%80%99s-beaches-49863.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-11-28

I think it is ridiculous that these people have been restricted from working on the beaches - it's part of the appeal. To go to a beach and for there to not be any umbrellas, sun loungers and soft drink vendors is a sad sight, disappointment and inconvenience.

Absolutely. But do it legally with monies paid going into the city's coffer to help improve facilities. Not into corrupt officials pockets so they can buy new cars.

Consider it charity. The army help to protect the tourist, ensure they are safe, no rap, no murder in Phuket. So a little bonus for the protecting in Thai culture is acceptable. Else the beach will look too dry.

• Like 1

"Before the Asian Tsunami all of the beach front area used to be the owned land; the tsunami turned that land into beachblink.png

Could be but i doubt it erosion could cause it. But if the law states that beaches are the kings that means the resort lost out.

Think of they really want to they could make a case against the resorts. But doubt there is motivation to do it... probably more not too.

• Like 1

I think it is ridiculous that these people have been restricted from working on the beaches - it's part of the appeal. To go to a beach and for there to not be any umbrellas, sun loungers and soft drink vendors is a sad sight, disappointment and inconvenience.

Troll post?

• Like 2

Did you see the video of the scoundrel from the umbrella and lounge chairs abusing a tourist who wanted to lie on her own beach towel?

Edited by razer
  • Like 2

Logic would dictate that the sensible solution should be to have controlled and licensed beach vendors for chairs, umbrellas and refreshments who in turn fund the management of the beach. Jet-Skis should be banned altogether but I guess you could allow them in controlled areas and limited numbers. (A good example is the lakes in my home area, where motor boats are banned on the smaller ones and limited number of pleasure crafts are allowed on other larger lakes provided they follow strict rules). All of this would of course need to be strictly enforced by local authorities on a daily basis.

Lack of enforcement is what will lead to abuse, not "thainess".

Ask anyone why this cannot be implemented and you will often get the very ubiquitous answer: "you not undersatand thai peopon".

Anyone else sick to death of hearing that phrase?

• Like 1

Years ago the beach chairs and umbrellas were controlled, and the renters only had a certain number. That didn't last long did it?it turned into an ugly chaos on all thai beaches!

Not all - on a visit in November I found beaches in Koh Samed a nice balance of services and space. I am sure there are many more like this. People here are mainly bitching about Phuket and Pty.

Troll post?

I don't think so. Personally, I never use an umberellas or sun lounger because I don't go to the beach during the hottest part of the day. But a friend of mine visited Phuket and was very disappointed he couldn't get an umberellas and sun lounger at Patong. Or buy a beer or two. He ended up spending all his time lounging round my pool and drinking my beer.

So many people wil agree with tallPalm, just as many will not. It's called diversity and I would have thought there would be merit in the authorities catering for both camps.

Well i think its great! None of the other government give a flying <removed> about getting rid of the Jetski mafia or improving the overall feeling that relaxing on a beach in paradise should have, without being harassed every 5 minutes to buy a bloody wooden frog or elephant.
As they are not the police they have nothing to gain from or lose from getting rid of the vendors. infact they will make a lot of enemies but they did it anyway. hats off well done! Lets not forget great beaches in Europe we dont need umbrellas, we bring our own towels and umbrellas and we sit where we like and clean up after ourselves and go home. Why should it be any other way?

• Like 2

'Tourists sitting on the beach chairs said that they were offered the use of a chair when they bought drinks from vendors. Some said they had paid to sit on the chairs in the shade ... The beach vendors ... said that the chairs and loungers had been brought by the tourists.' And we are supposed to believe whom?

'“Officers came to inspect the beach, then told all the jet ski to go away and not come back ... So far the ban seems to be working.' If the warning was that clear, it probably would work.

I don't know about Phuket, but I cannot begin to imagine Cha Am's six kilometer beach without its scores of vendor families offering deckchairs, tables and umbrellas - all for the princely sum of 50 baht per day.

Of course, this is still a mainly Thai tourist resort, but I have yet to meet any falang residents or visitors who would like to see the seafront swept clean of vendors and returned some notional "pristine" natural state envisioned by nostalgic middle-aged generals and ThaiVisa posters.

Personally, I would rather pay a few baht to have everything I needed provided for me than have to lug it back and forth every time I wanted to sunbathe or swim.

As much as the comfortable seating and other essential hardware provided, I would miss the vendors who obligingly order food to be delivered our table by local restaurants. We usually roll up carrying some knom and drinks of our own, yet I have never known a vendor object.

Indeed, during 14 years as a resident, I have heard very few bad reports about the local beach vendors. To thousands of locals and visitors they are a boon and excellent value for money.

Can Phuket (which admittedly I not visited for some years) really be very different?.

One accepts that many of the vendors, strictly speaking, trespassers on public beaches. But after so many years of officialdom prepared to turn a blind eye, what is to be gained by depriving them of their livelihoods and holidaymakers of a facility they clearly value?

The view may be more "pristine" without them, but won't you miss being able to order a sun-downer"

Unfortunately, this latest military-style "clamp-down" seems to be achieving little in terms of enhancing Phuket's appeal and could well, in the long run, prove detrimental both to tourism and the local economy.

I don't know about Phuket, but I cannot begin to imagine Cha Am's six kilometer beach without its scores of vendor families offering deckchairs, tables and umbrellas - all for the princely sum of 50 baht per day.

Of course, this is still a mainly Thai tourist resort, but I have yet to meet any falang residents or visitors who would like to see the seafront swept clean of vendors and returned some notional "pristine" natural state envisioned by nostalgic middle-aged generals and ThaiVisa posters.

Personally, I would rather pay a few baht to have everything I needed provided for me than have to lug it back and forth every time I wanted to sunbathe or swim.

As much as the comfortable seating and other essential hardware provided, I would miss the vendors who obligingly order food to be delivered our table by local restaurants. We usually roll up carrying some knom and drinks of our own, yet I have never known a vendor object.

Indeed, during 14 years as a resident, I have heard very few bad reports about the local beach vendors. To thousands of locals and visitors they are a boon and excellent value for money.

Can Phuket (which admittedly I not visited for some years) really be very different?.

One accepts that many of the vendors, strictly speaking, trespassers on public beaches. But after so many years of officialdom prepared to turn a blind eye, what is to be gained by depriving them of their livelihoods and holidaymakers of a facility they clearly value?

The view may be more "pristine" without them, but won't you miss being able to order a sun-downer"

Unfortunately, this latest military-style "clamp-down" seems to be achieving little in terms of enhancing Phuket's appeal and could well, in the long run, prove detrimental both to tourism and the local economy.

Its more that the thugs claim the best spots and harass you if you dont use a sunbed but lie on the beach. Just look at the vid that was posted.

If and that is the problem they kept to 1 or 2 rows and not hijack the prime spots it would be ok. However they act like maffia.

• Like 1

What is it that you do not understand about the rules that are now in place? So, in order to ease your disappointment and inconvenience everyone who frequents the beach must be prepared to support the thugs who rip off the tourists and use varying tactics to ensure that their part of the turf stays with them and they are able to continue their illegal activities.

Remember, this land is for public use, not for criminals to keep reaping the financial benefits through the blatant disregard of the law. It's also about time that those in power started to enforce the laws or one might start to doubt their ability to do so and start to ask why? Enough of the rhetoric and lets see more action carried out and then it might be believed that those in power are being fair dinkum and not just full of hot air.

• Like 1

Did you see the video of the scoundrel from the umbrella and lounge chairs abusing a tourist who wanposted to lie on her own beach towel?

Agreed. The principal at issue here is enforcement. The obvious solution would be a compromise that permitted a limited number of vendors the right to do business in a limited space, strictly controlled, with all fees going into the general coffers. However...this is Thailand. Enforcement is non-existent. The only example I need point to is the "regulated" price of lottery tickets. How long did that last?

The article shows the emptiness of any sense of enforcement. The "crackdown" occurs, the guilty parties simply wait a "reasonable" amount of time, then, gradually, it's back to business as usual. Until corruption is vanquished, and Thailand enters the twentieth century (the twenty-first we can only dream about) and actually enforces the laws that exist, the only possibility of improvement excludes compromise, and requires strict adherence to the laws/regulations in place.

Troll post?

How is this a 'troll post'? If anything yours is!

Did you see the video of the scoundrel from the umbrella and lounge chairs abusing a tourist who wanted to lie on her own beach towel?

No, hadn't seen nor ever experienced this. When I was short of cash on a particular occasion I had no problem laying where I wanted. I have to add I'm not a fan of 'sand in my crack' nor a sandy towel so when possible would always opt for a sun lounger.

Troll post?

How is this a 'troll post'? If anything yours is!

Given the fact that it is the Crown's land and against the law , it shows a total lack of respect to the Crown and these vendors should be ashamed of themselves for this action. A few LM cases brought up would certainly end this disrespectful practice.

Edited by steelepulse

Logic would dictate that the sensible solution should be to have controlled and licensed beach vendors for chairs, umbrellas and refreshments who in turn fund the management of the beach. Jet-Skis should be banned altogether but I guess you could allow them in controlled areas and limited numbers. (A good example is the lakes in my home area, where motor boats are banned on the smaller ones and limited number of pleasure crafts are allowed on other larger lakes provided they follow strict rules). All of this would of course need to be strictly enforced by local authorities on a daily basis.

Lack of enforcement is what will lead to abuse, not "thainess".

Ask anyone why this cannot be implemented and you will often get the very ubiquitous answer: "you not undersatand thai peopon".

Anyone else sick to death of hearing that phrase?

Well perhaps you don't understand then? I think it practically impossible to control and licence by ANY administration in Thailand because before the ink is dry the officials will be knee deep in lining their pockets. It just does not work because corruption in so ingrained and no one really has the motivation to change it since all those who could change it are in their positions because of it.

What is it that you do not understand about the rules that are now in place? So, in order to ease your disappointment and inconvenience everyone who frequents the beach must be prepared to support the thugs who rip off the tourists and use varying tactics to ensure that their part of the turf stays with them and they are able to continue their illegal activities.

Remember, this land is for public use, not for criminals to keep reaping the financial benefits through the blatant disregard of the law. It's also about time that those in power started to enforce the laws or one might start to doubt their ability to do so and start to ask why? Enough of the rhetoric and lets see more action carried out and then it might be believed that those in power are being fair dinkum and not just full of hot air.

Wow, what an aggressive response! I understand everything, it's about the 'Government' wanting to take a hard line approach to make a big impression but being impetuous. My standpoint is not about 'supporting thugs' but supporting locals for whom this is their means of income. If it is 'public' land then doesn't this mean they too have a right to be there? A reasonable solution would be to license, tax and monitor vendors - after all, their services must be desired by some (if not all) or they wouldn't be there.