Cost for ripping out ceramic tile in Pattaya?

Jingthing

As I've learned luxury vinyl flooring will (finally) be available for sale locally, I am now considering this.

I understand in theory it can be installed over ceramic tile but in my case I think the condition of the floor is probably not good enough and even if possible would be a time bomb for future problems.

So ideally I would get the ceramic tile and sides ripped out and a fresh flat cement floor refinished underneath in prep for the luxury vinyl.

I realize this is a hellish job and a very noisy one ... if I do it I'm sure my neighbors will hate me, but oh well. (This would be in a CONDO.)

So the question is does anyone have an informed opinion on estimated cost (and time?) to pull out about 60 square meters and then create a very clean and flat surface good enough for installation of luxury vinyl (same issues as laminate I suppose but I want luxury vinyl)?

I realize this can't be cheap but wondering how expensive.

Edited by Jingthing

Some of my ceramic tiles have popped up and probably some are going to do that in future ... in fact a fair section that is a total mess now that I just cover with a small carpet. I have had to rip out major sections in the past. Put a new floor over that and then when the underlying pops up ... seems to be a double mess and the top floor will buckle. So maybe one of those, expensive now or more expensive later kinds of things.

I suppose I could "repair" the obviously damaged sections and then go over the tile. As far as door clearances that is going to be a problem anyway with putting a new layer over the existing ceramic! I understand there is a special kind of saw for doing that.

Having the floor level enough before or after tile removal is a concern.

The place that will be selling this is thaiwatsado on Sukhumwit.

Another question ... if putting over tile does that mean it's smart to leave the sideboard tiles as well? I would think so. I would also assume you need to rip out the sides if ripping out the entire floor.

Or I could just live with my ugly poor condition tile floor ... coffee1.gif

Edited by Jingthing

Pop out the damaged tile/s and replace or just fill with grout/concrete. Then lay the board as I suggested.

You wouldn't need to remove the sideboard tiles, just have the board glued to them and lay matching vinyl as the floor, if that's what you want.

The board is only 12mm thick but it redistributes any future load onto the underlying tiles, meaning that any future disturbance of the tiles is unlikely (unless you lay the board over tiles that are obviously loose/badly cracked.

12mm height differential at swinging doors will be hardly noticeable and a skill saw can whack off the 12mm in 10 seconds. At sliding doors the 12mm differential is also negligible.

Edit: I've been in a few condos that have had multiple layers of floors, tiles and lord knows what done to the floors over the years. I recall one where it appeared as much as 200mm had been added to the floor level as judged by adjoining rooms and levels of steps and sliding doors etc. It had been raised so much that the room appeared to have a lowered ceiling and the window/balcony levels were made overly low. I often wondered if one day the floor might find it's way from the level 19 to ground level due to the added weight, or the farang occupant tipped himself over the balcony rail that only stood at about 1 metre.

The solution I've offered you is the cheapest and most effective solution and done to workmanlike standards. The only cheaper solution would to be lay tiles directly over your existing tiles (which I would never do - I'd rather pop all the old tiles and start from scratch with new tiles on the original concrete floor), but as you want the vinyl you really can't do that.

Edited by Gsxrnz
  • Like 2

if you are laying vinyl the floor has to be smooth, so as to not cause wear on the vinyl, if taking your old tiles up, and if some are loose, I would think they will come up leaving the sand and cement base fairly sound, you will also need to remove the tiled skirting tile, The area should then be prepped with a suitable self levelling/latex compound. I haven't seen any in Thailand, but haven't really looked. the better the prep the longer the vinyl will last.

see here -

• Like 1