Bangkok Administration to launch food safety testings

webfact

City administration to launch food safety testings

BANGKOK: -- The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration today delivered six “Mobile Unit for Food Safety” trucks to six districts in Bangkok to be used to conduct on-the-spot tests of food quality to ensure better food safety for Bangkokians.

Bangkok Governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra chaired the trucks delivery ceremony held at Thai-Japanese youth centre at Din Daeng. The six districts to receive the trucks are Kanna Yao, Huey Khwang, Phra Khanong, Bang Khen, Bangkok Noi and Bang Kae.

Governor Sukhumbhand said that the six vehicles would keep monitoring the safety of food available to consumers at restaurants, pavement food stalls, super markets, mini marts, schools and fresh markets to ensure that the food consumers eat are safe and hygienic.

Deputy governor Dr Pirapong Saichua said the six mobile units would make random food safety tests of food at restaurants, pavement food stalls, super markets, mini marts, markets and schools. He said that most of the toxic chemicals found in food are borax and formalin mostly in meat and seafood.

He said that once toxic chemicals were detected, the food in question would be seized and a probe launched to trace their origin.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/city-administration-launch-food-safety-testings

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-11-28

"He said that most of the toxic chemicals found in food are borax and formalin mostly in meat and seafood."

Borax:

Commonly used as ant poison in Thailand. Food vendors/restaurants use it as a "preservative".

Formalin:

A derivitive of Formaldehyde. Commonly used in the West to preserve a corpse before burial.

Used in Thailand by spraying it on seafood to "preserve" it.

NEVER eat at one of those "All you can eat" Buffets.

They spray both on product going bad as common practice. wai2.gifwai.gif

Bon appétit!

• Like 1

Oh please make Soi 22 Sukhumvit you first test area. Greasy-spoon food carts litter the western side of the street, making food directly over the top of putrid street drains. And where does all their waste go, straight down the drain. Thais get sick obviously from eating this food (because I know so many who do) but they seem to except that as an every day part of life. I wonder how many get life threatening illnesses or are incapacitated permanently.

"He said that most of the toxic chemicals found in food are borax and formalin mostly in meat and seafood."

Borax:

Commonly used as ant poison in Thailand. Food vendors/restaurants use it as a "preservative".

Formalin:

A derivitive of Formaldehyde. Commonly used in the West to preserve a corpse before burial.

Used in Thailand by spraying it on seafood to "preserve" it.

NEVER eat at one of those "All you can eat" Buffets.

They spray both on product going bad as common practice. wai2.gifwai.gif

Bon appétit!

Of course going to Tesco and seeing and smelling the open meat being sold you will realize that even big corporations are selling tainted meat and fish. It is one of the problems of this country, no regulation and almost no enforcement (unless of course some tea money is being secured)

they are not going to like the results, but this is thailand, for the right amount, the poisenes food might just disappear on paper, and continu to selling to the unknowningly public

so many cases of stomac cancer in thailand cannot be by 'chance'

the liver cancer & sirroces, i can understand, from their heavy alcohol consumption

I here these specially designed trucks have slots cut i to the side so money can be passed through without anybody having to leave the vehicle.

To seriously solve this issue there needs to be more widespread punishment and a sense of collective responsibility enstilled.

They have these vans dotted around the country operated by the provincial health departments.

I'm good friends with a team operating one of the vans. They're out doing random and scheduled inspections most days including some weekends and evenings.

They tell me the most common hazard they find is very high levels of pesticides on salad vegetables.

• Like 2