Dengue Fever in Central Pattaya-just heads up

konying

Just wanted to warn people in Pattaya area, this <deleted> mosquito's are here.

I am in Central Pattaya, bitten the other day, now enjoying all the aspects of Dengue Fever.

Have the pleasure of all and i mean all symptoms and aside from all the physical pleasure i also look like a spotted leopard.

So be aware people

For those who do not know, there are no vaccinations for it.

No, dengue is in both urban and rural areas. You can get it in the heart of Bangkok. In fcat it was originally mainly an urban disease and only in past few decades spread out to the countryside.

Malaria on the other hand is only in dense forested rural areas.

And the other main mosquito born disease, Japanese B Encephalitis, is only in rural areas (pigs are the resevoir so found near places with pigs).

No, dengue is in both urban and rural areas. You can get it in the heart of Bangkok. In fcat it was originally mainly an urban disease and only in past few decades spread out to the countryside.

And the other main mosquito born disease, Japanese B Encephalitis, is only in rural areas (pigs are the resevoir so found near places with pigs).

Well some urban areas are almost free of mosquito...which makes them Dengue Fever free. I guess the pollution is killing the mosquito

Well some urban areas are almost free of mosquito...which makes them Dengue Fever free. I guess the pollution is killing the mosquito

And the ones that survived, are trying to kill melaugh.png

And the ones that survived, are trying to kill melaugh.png

yeah and they are resistant to about everything.

The dengue mosquito breeds in stagnant water and does nto travel very far. Areas with no standing water will have few if any.

In urban areas a big risk spot are the "wet" markets as there is always stagnant water about these and easy to get bitten walking through.

In rural areas water jars are a big breeding site.

The dengue mosquito breeds in stagnant water and does nto travel very far. Areas with no standing water will have few if any.

In urban areas a big risk spot are the "wet" markets as there is always stagnant water about these and easy to get bitten walking through.

In rural areas water jars are a big breeding site.

I think the specials are also different. The BKK mosquito are 1/4 the size of some rural mosquitos. On the rural I noticed the "zebra" legs. While these in BKK are too small to see how their legs look like.

• 1 month later...

According to NHS UK

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/dengue/Pages/Introduction.aspx

"What causes dengue?
Dengue is spread by infected mosquitoes – most commonly the Aedes aegypti mosquito.

An infected human is bitten by a mosquito, the infected mosquito then bites another human, and the cycle continues.

The condition is widespread in areas of the world with a high mosquito population and has been spread by the trade in worn car tyres, which collect water where mosquitoes breed. Typically, dengue occurs in areas that have a combination of:
a warm and humid climate
overcrowding and major urban centres"

I caught Dengue two times already, but I definitely wasn't able to sit down at the computer and write a topic.... Dengue switches you off for some days and it needed weeks to be back in good painless health.

Fatfather

Well, i worked through it, irrespective of how i felt.

VItamin C and multi vitamins was of help(i think)

I took daily- 6 tabs of vitamin C, multi vitamin. flexseed oil caps and super krill oil, first few days were hard, but got easier as time went by, itch was a problem for a while though.

Also not sure if related, but i took some antihistamine.

Like most diseases, Dengue varies greatly in severity from case to case. it can leave you flat on your back, shaking with pain and fever and unable to move for the pain or keep anything down, necessitating hospitalization.

Or you can semi-mobile but pretty miserable.

Or it can be so mild you aren't even sure you have it .

Luck of the draw.

I am also worried about dengue here in Pattaya . Too many mosquitos outside my house and they all want to follow me inside. Bug sprays will not kill them so every week I end up with at least 5-6 , very itchy mosquito bites.

I am also worried about dengue here in Pattaya . Too many mosquitos outside my house and they all want to follow me inside. Bug sprays will not kill them so every week I end up with at least 5-6 , very itchy mosquito bites.

There are a number of mosquito repellents available and it does work, but all it takes is one, the infected one to bite.

ARS brand is pretty cheap, buy the electric one and the pallets, works well, the liquid one does not.

Also can buy the burning coils, but it does smell

Just came into my mind: Don't use Aspirin or similar medication. Paracetamol is OK.

why not may i ask?

something to do with aspirin making blood thinner or something like that

I had dengue hemorrhagic fever about a year back - I stay in East Pattaya. Ended up in BPH for 5 lovely days! Doctor warned me against shaving (not that I was in any fit state to attempt that!) and also brushing my teeth. Believe that the blood thins due to the fever and stemming the flow could become problematic.

Aedes aegyptii

zebra legs day time mossie?

can you describe the look and flight pattern in layman's terms or must i goolge it?

thanks

Yes, day time mosquitoes...watch out for under tables, etc.

I contracted Dengue in Pattaya a few years back. Worst fever, ever.

Not much you can do about it. Stop warfarin, ibuprofren, etc.

Important to monitor blood count. --- platelet count and WBC count -- it can become very serious.

see: http://www.denguevirusnet.com/diagnosis.html

Archived