Just got kicked out of thai with valid visa

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In this instance, if you have an ed visa, you probably have a place to live etc. They should at least give you 15 days entry or something, give you the chance to get your things, sort things out with the missus and (I know it would nave happen, but…) get a refund on some of your classes.

Yes, sounds a horrible experience; I can't see why people are nitpicking at you when you have posted what just has happened to you. Don't listen to the bitters and hypocrites moaning, I bet they haven't followed every law exactly here.

• Like 1

Also, let's be honest - the OP also had ample opportunity to learn to speak and read/write Thai during his prior 8 years that he lived in the country, while married to a Thai. He also stated that he did not feel like attending classes, because he knew how to speak Thai to whatever degree he felt was passable.

The fact is simply that he used the ED visa to skirt having to get a regular visa, and was abusing the visa process. He was (unfortunately) caught, and the immigration officer was perform their lawful duty. Case closed.

Could you point out where in the tourist visa or any other visa except ED it says "you must learn Thai"?! Your kinds of <deleted> really piss me off. Where the <deleted> you came from...go back there. I can help you pack without any extra charge.

There is no requirement to "learn thai" on any other visa... BUT... he had switched to an ED visa after being here for 8 years.... which if I were immigration would raise some big red flags, since it would seem to indicate that his intent was not to learn -- he had shown no interest in learning in the 8 years prior, and it would also indicate his intent is not temporary. The history of him living here for 8 years and not learning anything can certainly be taken into account by immigration.

I think you have raised some very good points. At first I was a bit disappointed to read about the OP's experiences, but when it became clear that he had been here for years without making any effort at the language whatsoever, it seems more than a bit suspicious as to why he would all of a sudden want an ED visa and less than surprising that he is subsequently denied for less than average Thai skills.

I personally am delighted whenever a Thai speaks to me in Thai first without me having to first having to make it clear I can speak the language. However, since I am not on an ED visa and never have been, the average airport immigration official only does so without my prompting first when they can see that I have written my address in Thai on the immigration form. Of course, more often than not no words are exchanged at all, apart from a cursory "sawadee krab" by me, which is usually not reciprocated. At land border checkpoints, especially if I arrive back by car the officials are quicker to speak in Thai since they either don't speak as much English as airport officials anyway, assume a foreigner who is driving a car themselves is living here and can therefore speak the language, or I'm going through a remote border crossing. If I arrive driving a Lao car they always speak to me in Lao first though, lol. In any case, land border officials tend to be friendlier than the overworked officials at Suvarnabhumi and other international airports.

On a similar note, I am always annoyed when the occasional Thai (although it is exceptionally rare these days) doesn't want to speak in Thai (they never say that directly though, but it feels that way) despite their English often, if not usually being significantly less than perfect. There is a Thai engineer I know who owns his own company building equipment for clients both in Thailand and around the region, who speaks Thai (of course), decent Chinese (though only speaking and not writing I think) and decent, though not excellent English. I don't know him that well since he is more of a friend to a non-Thai speaking family member and of course being in his presence along with said family member recently he almost only spoke English to both of us, over the course of our 2.5 days together. Of course since most of our conversations were amongst the three of us in the car, I also spoke in English so that everyone would be included, but in the past we have spoken together just amongst us two in Thai (or English before that, probably because he didn't know I could speak Thai). My Thai is better than his English for sure, but what is strange is that despite meeting lots of Thai speakers including his own friends all of whom spoke Thai with me, he was the only one who peppered the conversation with English, saying simple things that even a beginner learner of Thai would understand in Thai, so his comments in English seemed unhelpful, unnecessary and almost insulting. Maybe it was the presence of my family member, but as sometimes he was speaking directly to me I'm not so sure. He also seemed to have forgotten our communications in Thai the previous time we met more than a year earlier, perhaps his memory is getting the better of him.

A bit off topic I know, but there are those of us out there who WOULD like to integrate into Thai society more by means of either our willingness to learn the local lingo and even our actual ability to speak it/read/write it.

Of course if an ED visa student of Thai, who actually wanted to learn Thai but found their progress hampered by a certain attitude of unwillingness on the part of certain Thai friends or associates who don't want to use their own language with them in their own country, then how can one make progress? Similarly, this could cause said individual to be kicked out of the country eventually, for not being proficient enough in the language.

As said, I find it's quite rare to find such attitudes here, but they obviously do exist. A lot also depends on the fluency of your Thai, your accent, the people you are talking to etc. but in my experience, everyone from Thai speaking Burmese migrant workers with only a smattering of Thai, to immigration officials to hotel check-in clerks, to top company executives and academics speak to me in Thai either first or once they know what my Thai is like.

• Like 1

,,. it seems more than a bit suspicious as to why he would all of a sudden want an ED visa and less than surprising that he is subsequently denied for less than average Thai skills ...

... I am always annoyed when the occasional Thai ... doesn't want to speak in Thai ... despite their English often ... less than perfect.

To point 1) Not everybody is a linguist. They may have other talents ... and another approach to the country than by small talk ...

To point 2) I guess your Thai friend was as proud of his English performance as you were proud of your skills in Thai ... lol

Let us be mild on people!

• Like 1

Cant you come with euros ? You need to get baht before coming to thailand ?

First of all, you mentioned USD dollars in an earlier post, but it's actually THB. Yes, bring EUR, certainly not USD if you're coming from Europe. Either way, all major currencies can be exchanged in the transit lounge BEFORE you reach immigration. Otherwise, kindly ask the I/O to withdraw some money from one of the ATMs behind immigration. I think those ATMs are operated by SCB.

,,. it seems more than a bit suspicious as to why he would all of a sudden want an ED visa and less than surprising that he is subsequently denied for less than average Thai skills ...

... I am always annoyed when the occasional Thai ... doesn't want to speak in Thai ... despite their English often ... less than perfect.

To point 1) Not everybody is a linguist. They may have other talents ... and another approach to the country than by small talk ...

To point 2) I guess your Thai friend was as proud of his English performance as you were proud of your skills in Thai ... lol

Let us be mild on people!

Actually it's not about being a linguist. Linguists know about the structure, grammar etc. of languages, they can't necessarily speak them well - in fact I would expect your average expat, not known to be good at languages to speak Thai better than any non-resident linguist. I know a German linguist who lives in Germany and has only been to Thailand 3 times for a few days each. He speaks some Thai but terribly. He can barely understand spoken Thai either, yet he reads and writes Thai quite well. This is because for starters, he is rarely exposed to spoken Thai and doesn't have very many Thais he can speak to back home. When he comes to Thailand I'm actually surprised anyone is willing to engage him in conversation using Thai given he can't understand most of what they're saying, but there are actually some people who do, probably because they are also aspiring linguists and/or their English is too poor to hold a conversation.

2) you could be right, I never thought of it that way but I would rather be proud of say, my Chinese language skills than English. Anyone and everyone speaks English these days, if only a little. It's nothing special at all. But if you can speak Chinese then you are doing well.

Back to point 1) being able to speak the native language is normally considered to be a normal part of being a resident in a given country. How anyone manages to get by in Thailand without knowing the local language is beyond me...you can't read signs, can't talk to anyone except those that work in the tourism industry, can't travel off the beaten track, struggle to get anything done by yourself...and the list goes on.

But for whatever reason you have reasoned that it takes the talent of a linguist to speak any language other than English, when in any other country it would be considered normal for a foreign expat to learn the local language and be able to speak it. Maybe not fluently, but at least relatively well.

Being here on a retirement visa I am not involved in these visa issues with immigration.
That being said, the very first time they make it difficult or impossible for me to enter or stay here, I am long gone and never returning.

I have plans to recover funds from the bank, and my friend can have all of my property. That is something I have accepted... it would suck, but I won't fight to stay. Plenty of other great places to go. Kinda like a new beginning... I might even relish in it.

The more people that vote with their feet, the stronger we are.

• Like 2

How he was able to get extension without attending classes is another issue.

This is another puzzle which we cannot solved without additional input from JohnnyBKK. As I remember it, he never posted that he applied for and got an extension of stay for the reason of study. I'm on the phone at the moment and cannot easily do a search in this topic. Would somebody else be so kind as to do it?

I had a multiple entry ED visa (1 year) few years ago , I attended classes but I did my visa runs , not using the school extensions , never any probem or questioning on border or exams question , just easy stamping at Ban laem border (that time, do not know for now in case ...)

In this instance, if you have an ed visa, you probably have a place to live etc. They should at least give you 15 days entry or something, give you the chance to get your things, sort things out with the missus and (I know it would nave happen, but…) get a refund on some of your classes.

Yes, sounds a horrible experience; I can't see why people are nitpicking at you when you have posted what just has happened to you. Don't listen to the bitters and hypocrites moaning, I bet they haven't followed every law exactly here.

I don't know of any immigration officer in any western country that would do that, so I would not expect it from Thailand. A person with this as the back story is a very high risk to enter the country and (in some western countries - claim asylum and abuse that system for a while) go underground and not abide by the 15 days.

From an immigration point of view, the safest thing to do is just block entry at that point.

I won't argue with those points ^^ but, If such a high risk, why give him a visa in the first place?

Immigration needs to work with other departments more closely to prevent this kind of thing happening.

If not 15 days, you must surely be allowed to get your own stuff from your apartment at least.

I won't argue with those points ^^ but, If such a high risk, why give him a visa in the first place?

Immigration needs to work with other departments more closely to prevent this kind of thing happening.

If not 15 days, you must surely be allowed to get your own stuff from your apartment at least.

How can you get your stuff from your apartment if you are denied entry?

If you are locked up in IDC and you have someone who can speak with the management then sometimes they will allow them to get your possessions but it's not a given.

You are being punished not re-habilitated.

i'm of the opinion that due to the somewhat high profile and aggressive promotion of their services and the avenues they could open to assist their students to obtain an Ed Visa might well have attracted the attention of the immigration department and as such this particular ''educational''establishment is now on the hit list.

I won't mention which school, but a friend was told at CW last week that Immigration did not like his school, and advised him to change schools, and was giving its students a particularly hard time.

Mr Walen, however, is a thoroughly decent man and a sponsor of this site.

1.reading questions of others ...which airport he is....no answer?? why??

2.i still have(paid $225 in Aus Thai embassy) multi entry ED visa and valid till March 2015 and I am currently in Aus...trying to save money for next trip to Los..

3. previously spent 6 months studying Thai at Walen and travelled to Poland and Vietnam in this span of time with no problem on re-entry to Los.

4.next year March I am going to visit Thai for 2-3 weeks just to see my g/f regardless my ed visa still valid or not

and I gave up learning Thai because I am slowly loosing confidence in Thai rule makers.

5. I do not believe that someone learned Thai for 6 months and can not write or read this language...because I can do it.

I can read it slowly but do not understand meaning of more then 60% of it.

Also I can write but it is much harder to recall alphabet or write properly all extra vowels

As to understanding spoken Thai or speak it is still a problem but I am 63 old hence can not blame myself to much.

6. the point is ....

is this fellow case is genuine? ??

should I be affraid of same treatment next year or better pay here in Aus for 1 month stay ignoring everything else as my ed visa and also granted 30 days..

I am planning to go to Europe after Thailand and not to be forced to go back to Aus....in such case of this fellow.

Personally. .he is not telling whole truth..I guesd..

He should be able to at least read Thai after 6 month at Walen not even understanding at all...

If he was able to speak Thai then I just can not understand it is possible not to read or write at least a little. ..

For me whole this story is very suspicious. ...or someone's game.

If this was true that Thai authorities refused entry because of his problem with writing then I am only can ask them

one thing....Is Thai child going to school first time is able to write and read in own language after 6 month attending ????????......

and that what I am preparing to ask if I will struck similar problem in Los.

Anyway...if Thai really want to clean this country from fraudulent students then there is more and better ideas then what they are doing ...if this is true story........

otherwise they will harm many many honest people who spent or spending time realy learning this language for many purposes for the future including me.

Well, next year many other countries around Thailand will welcome people like us and I hope things will be easier then in Los for honest peoples.

• Like 1

If they suspect him of working they would need some proof to back this up also, The reason i say this is there must be many people here for many years in same situation who are going to be under scrutiny also next time they pass through immigration, There are a handful in my class who have been here for numerous years and just decided they want to improve their thai and doing the education visa route which is breaking no rules.

It's not a criminal case so the immigration officers don't need to prove anything. The burden of proof is on you to prove that the declarations you made on your visa applications are true. They obviously suspected he was working illegally and he had no way to convince them otherwise. Proof of income from sources outside Thailand and/or bank statements showing that no other money was going into your account and that money was in fact leaving your account in an amount expected of someone living here would be the kind of things that could logically convince them.

On another note I thought the 20k baht was proof of funds for a 1 month tourist visa. So wouldn't you need 20k per month of your intended stay if you were on an ed visa?

If they suspect him of working they would need some proof to back this up also, The reason i say this is there must be many people here for many years in same situation who are going to be under scrutiny also next time they pass through immigration, There are a handful in my class who have been here for numerous years and just decided they want to improve their thai and doing the education visa route which is breaking no rules.

It's not a criminal case so the immigration officers don't need to prove anything. The burden of proof is on you to prove that the declarations you made on your visa applications are true. They obviously suspected he was working illegally and he had no way to convince them otherwise.

You cannot really prove a negative. How could anyone attempting to enter prove they are not / do not intend to work illegally? Prove to me that next week you will not fall over and twist your ankle...

• Like 1

i'm of the opinion that due to the somewhat high profile and aggressive promotion of their services and the avenues they could open to assist their students to obtain an Ed Visa might well have attracted the attention of the immigration department and as such this particular ''educational''establishment is now on the hit list.

I won't mention which school, but a friend was told at CW last week that Immigration did not like his school, and advised him to change schools, and was giving its students a particularly hard time.

Mr Walen, however, is a thoroughly decent man and a sponsor of this site.

What school would that be, JJBloke? Sounds thinly veiled, if I say so myself, when you've quoted an equally veiled post. Hmm.

It's not a criminal case so the immigration officers don't need to prove anything. The burden of proof is on you to prove that the declarations you made on your visa applications are true. They obviously suspected he was working illegally and he had no way to convince them otherwise.

You cannot really prove a negative. How could anyone attempting to enter prove they are not / do not intend to work illegally? Prove to me that next week you will not fall over and twist your ankle...

It is not proof as in proving that you are not working, it is proving that you have the means to live here without working (i.e. low risk of offending). That is what the requirements for a certain amount in a Thai bank are meant for retirement visas. If it comes down to it, they can and will assume that you are working illegally in Thailand and any and all visas (or visa waivers) that are not work related are void -- and you are then in Thailand illegally as per the beginning of the visa that you were assumed to be fraudulently issued.

The burden of proof is on the person wishing to enter. There is no entitlement - even if foreigners think they should be entitled.

Edited by bkkcanuck8
  • Like 2

Being here on a retirement visa I am not involved in these visa issues with immigration.

That being said, the very first time they make it difficult or impossible for me to enter or stay here, I am long gone and never returning.

I have plans to recover funds from the bank, and my friend can have all of my property. That is something I have accepted... it would suck, but I won't fight to stay. Plenty of other great places to go. Kinda like a new beginning... I might even relish in it.

The more people that vote with their feet, the stronger we are.

Absolutely spot on. If they start to make it a major headache for me to remain here then they can stick it up their jumper. I can't really understand the extraordinary lengths some people go to stay in LOS.

• Like 2

It's not a criminal case so the immigration officers don't need to prove anything. The burden of proof is on you to prove that the declarations you made on your visa applications are true. They obviously suspected he was working illegally and he had no way to convince them otherwise. Proof of income from sources outside Thailand and/or bank statements showing that no other money was going into your account and that money was in fact leaving your account in an amount expected of someone living here would be the kind of things that could logically convince them.

On another note I thought the 20k baht was proof of funds for a 1 month tourist visa. So wouldn't you need 20k per month of your intended stay if you were on an ed visa?

agreed its not a criminal case and the immigration officer is making a judgement. The OP was in Thailand for 8 years already saying he made his money from HK and not within Thailand. So there should be no record of him working in Thailand that 8 years, no record of visa abuse for the immigration officer to draw on. If he has been here for 8 years with no flags and no problems then you think he would have been thought less likely to have been working in Thailand with a clean history then someone who just turned up to Thailand.

That was just one of my point but ultimately my post was about how it doesn't make sense to me of how he could have been rejected. So either there is more to the story at the airport or to his background the immigration officer knew about that the OP didn't share...... or the immigration officer has acted in a shocking manner.

First off. I am sorry to hear of your situation. It appears to be hard to find some consistency with issues like this when I can apply the complete opposite scenario. I have held my ed-visa for ten months and whilst my school is making every effort to teach us how to speak Thai, we haven't started the reading and writing yet. I attend school as required and study due to being a student as after all it is a student visa, not a way overcoming the old back to back visa runs. Insisting six months is enough to be able to read and write is a bit harsh if your recognised school is yet to teach it. I'm not going to inflame a situation by suggesting who is at fault as these are grey times regarding visa's.

Yesterday I flew back into Thailand after a 9 day holiday in Cambodia via Don Mueng. I had envisaged some scrutiny with all that is happening. I handed the immigration officer my passport and told him in Thai I had a re-entry visa. Pom - mee - re-entry- visa - krup. He flicked through my passport and asked what visa did I have the re-entry for? ED - visa I replied in Thai. Pom - mee - Ed - visa. I had forgotten to sign my arrival card. He pointed to where I needed to sign and I replied sorry kor - toot which he made no fuss about. I signed it and he replied good luck Chok - dee. I replied thank you very much Kop - khun - maark - krup. With that I got my stamp and I was through. No mention of reading or writing or at least a further in depth conversation that I was prepared for.

Whilst I'm not fluent in Thai in just 10 months I am always of the opinion to study more in case a situation arises where you need to demonstrate sentences and their structure whilst holding a conversation with an officer. As students a lot of us get ninety day extensions on our visa's whilst our school support's us during our twelve month tuition payment period. My school doesn't offer a full guaranteed 12 month visa as with a retirement visa and 90 day reporting. An ed-visa in my situation is 90 day extensions with my school's support and at the end of 12 months now that things have changed, I leave Thailand and re-apply for a new ed-visa. At any of the ninety day extensions we could find ourselves in the situation just like the OP. The difference being it would be at our local immigration office whilst applying for our next 90 day extension. I always know how to tell immigration in Thai that my school is yet to teach reading and writing. I wouldn't be lying and if you are speaking enough of the Thai language to be able to suggest this in your conversation with the officer then you are proving yourself to be studying. You can't demonstrate something you haven't learn't yet so maybe the schools need to up their end of the bargain and support those of us who are actually following the visa regulations.

• Like 1

First off. I am sorry to hear of your situation. It appears to be hard to find some consistency with issues like this when I can apply the complete opposite scenario. I have held my ed-visa for ten months and whilst my school is making every effort to teach us how to speak Thai, we haven't started the reading and writing yet. I attend school as required and study due to being a student as after all it is a student visa, not a way overcoming the old back to back visa runs. Insisting six months is enough to be able to read and write is a bit harsh if your recognised school is yet to teach it. I'm not going to inflame a situation by suggesting who is at fault as these are grey times regarding visa's.

Yesterday I flew back into Thailand after a 9 day holiday in Cambodia via Don Mueng. I had envisaged some scrutiny with all that is happening. I handed the immigration officer my passport and told him in Thai I had a re-entry visa. Pom - mee - re-entry- visa - krup. He flicked through my passport and asked what visa did I have the re-entry for? ED - visa I replied in Thai. Pom - mee - Ed - visa. I had forgotten to sign my arrival card. He pointed to where I needed to sign and I replied sorry kor - toot which he made no fuss about. I signed it and he replied good luck Chok - dee. I replied thank you very much Kop - khun - maark - krup. With that I got my stamp and I was through. No mention of reading or writing or at least a further in depth conversation that I was prepared for.

Whilst I'm not fluent in Thai in just 10 months I am always of the opinion to study more in case a situation arises where you need to demonstrate sentences and their structure whilst holding a conversation with an officer. As students a lot of us get ninety day extensions on our visa's whilst our school support's us during our twelve month tuition payment period. My school doesn't offer a full guaranteed 12 month visa as with a retirement visa and 90 day reporting. An ed-visa in my situation is 90 day extensions with my school's support and at the end of 12 months now that things have changed, I leave Thailand and re-apply for a new ed-visa. At any of the ninety day extensions we could find ourselves in the situation just like the OP. The difference being it would be at our local immigration office whilst applying for our next 90 day extension. I always know how to tell immigration in Thai that my school is yet to teach reading and writing. I wouldn't be lying and if you are speaking enough of the Thai language to be able to suggest this in your conversation with the officer then you are proving yourself to be studying. You can't demonstrate something you haven't learn't yet so maybe the schools need to up their end of the bargain and support those of us who are actually following the visa regulations.

I would expect any good school to teach you writing and reading at the same time as verbal, but some schools do ask you that up front and may allow you the verbal only option. I assume the test that was given was rudimentary, like pointing at a fish tank and saying the big fish eat the little fish, and expecting you to understand. I don't expect them to be given you an exam. He was probably already under suspicion because of being here 8 years - last 6ish on ED visa.... so the fact that he failed some rudimentary exam only confirmed their suspicions. If you are a straight student who has only actually been in Thailand 6 months - they would probably show more leniency. Immigration will take all facts into consideration when they are trying to determine the veracity of those that are entering.

I have been sent back as well. Spent one night in detention. I was on an ED visa as well and suprisingly also came back from a 3 day trip to HK. The only option I was given , was flying back to my home country with KLM royal airlines. I had to fly bck business class in order not to be locked up for over 24 hours. I paid for this myself. Im from The Netherlands by the way. If that makes any difference... I got a stamp in my passport saying I was working illegally in Thailand and had no money with me (last actually true apart from a ATM card and 800 HKD and a few 100 baht notes. I managed to enter twice again with an O visa based on my daughter. Each time they gave me a hard time. Im now waiting for a new passport.

Hello,

We are in the same situation, i also have a son in Thailand. Can you tell me please what did they ask you once you tried to re-entrer with the O visa ? Also how you go that visa while away from Thailand ? Thanks.

Hi guys,

In France now, i tried to keep you updated using the on air wifi but it was too slow to post.

I flew with emirates. I asked at Dubai stop what happened and they said "Deportation because of insufficient funds, very strange".

The official "thing" is insufficient funds.

You haven't been deported you have been refused entry not the same thing, why is this concept so hard for people to understand, you can only be deported from a country you have been admitted to, you never got in the front door

You mean whoever the poster asked at Dubai did not know what deportation means and or the OP.

Why would anyone in Dubai know why the OP was refused entry to Thailand?

Because i was detained in Dubai for 10 minutes while waiting for my plane to France. I asked them why i'm here, and they said you've been deported for insufficient funds, it's very strange coming from Thailand.

You haven't been deported you have been refused entry not the same thing, why is this concept so hard for people to understand, you can only be deported from a country you have been admitted to, you never got in the front door

You mean whoever the poster asked at Dubai did not know what deportation means and or the OP.

Because i was detained in Dubai for 10 minutes while waiting for my plane to France. I asked them why i'm here, and they said you've been deported for insufficient funds, it's very strange coming from Thailand.

Did they deport you from Suvarnabhumi in Thailand? Who detained you in Dubai? If you don't mind the question.

Hi guys,

In France now, i tried to keep you updated using the on air wifi but it was too slow to post.

I flew with emirates. I asked at Dubai stop what happened and they said "Deportation because of insufficient funds, very strange".

The official "thing" is insufficient funds.

You mentioned having a reentry permit do I assume you were doing 90 day extensions?

How were you successful about getting your 90 day extension without attending classes?

Since you didn't enter Thailand, I would think they also can't deport you.

Would you mind, as several posters including moderators and administrators already asked, post a picture of the stamp or document you received upon your entry refusal or deportation?

Edited by Anthony5

The only time when even Thais don't know how to write something and variations in spelling can occur are for foreign transliterations or transcriptions.

That's not true. Indic loanwords can present huge doubts. There are several different spellings of the common nickname 'Nit', depending on what the person's official name is. Live syllables with falling tones immediately offer two possibilities, and in many cases the current spelling is, etymologically speaking, wrong.

For a foreigner, the immediate problem is that not knowing the tone, or not knowing the basic tone rules, makes spelling guesswork. However, the relevant issue is then how Immigration would interpret the results of a spelling test. Would perfect spelling indicate that someone wasn't actually studying to improve their Thai?