Sinsod or Dowry.. why the big deal ?

fish fingers

People on here responding to a troll like Otocheater, how silly can it get ?

I have seen worse...... Besides sin sod has been beaten to death. If you

paid it, those guys say it is great. If you have not paid it, it seems like

the most moronic thing to do in the world, to buy your wife. So more

fun to out a troll and see his pathetic defense....

Edited by EyesWideOpen

USA.............

trans this could be a new thread

is otocheater a man or women and were from,,,lol

Hey trans, I am bit upset your first guess would be that he is American..... :-)

Trans is right. Certain phrases. (Remember, I'm American.)

Total American male troll.

• Like 1

the most moronic thing to do in the world, buy your wife. So more

To ignore a troll seems better to me. Anyway, the level of intelligence on this forum, and in LOS as a whole, is not too big. Money and presented status seems to be to be the sole parameter on here. Lots of naive posters on this forum who do not even realise how silly and insecure they come across. Living with, or around, their gfs/wifes families but not even speaking the language and claiming to understand how it all works.

On Topic, do what makes you happy and do not look back.

Living with, or around, their gfs/wifes families but not even speaking the language and claiming to understand how it all works.

My wife speaks English due to her English degree and subsequent life in the UK for the last four years.

I'm actually happy that I don't speak Thai within the family circle. We get on just fine as it is.

To ignore a troll seems better to me. Anyway, the level of intelligence on this forum, and in LOS as a whole, is not too big. Money and presented status seems to be to be the sole parameter on here. Lots of naive posters on this forum who do not even realise how silly and insecure they come across. Living with, or around, their gfs/wifes families but not even speaking the language and claiming to understand how it all works.

5 posts ... 3 of them calling others out as Trolls.

Understands the concept of being 'on-Topic'

Interesting ... coffee1.gif

• Like 1

If otocheater is a troll. You could be the father of otocheater.

Do you know what I mean?

Edited by otocheater

With all due respect David, I'm calling the guy an American male troll and I have a few more than 5 posts LOL.

There are just too many perfect American phrases interjected with an attempt to sound like a Thai. The writing switches back and forth between pure American and fake Thai English.

With all due respect David, I'm calling the guy an American male troll and I have a few more than 5 posts LOL.

There are just too many perfect American phrases interjected with an attempt to sound like a Thai. The writing switches back and forth between pure American and fake Thai English.

Mate ... I'm not defending ococheater.

I was talking about Been there Done That.

2.wai2.gif

My Thai Partner and I are happy to pay a Sin Sot.

We will save up for it together ... $ for $.

I don't give a rats ass what others think. I am my own man.

This is my promise to her .. I don't break my promises.

She gave up her job as a manager with an International Company of 12 years to come stay in my country.

Real Love is in play now.

We have kids together.

It is is what is it is.

Start hurling stones on us about now ... frankly, I don't give a .

Do as you want. I am not hurling stones at anyone. However, posts like this highlight everything that is wrong and illogical about sin sot. You proudly proclaim "real love is in play now" and "we have kids together". When do either of these equate to handing over gobs of cash and gold to the women's parents? Maybe you should take that cash and put it in a college fund for the kids..... Just a suggestion........

And she gave up her job to come live in your country. OK, well, again, what in the world does this have to do with giving her parents money.

Again, I don't care if you are paying sin sot....

However, you have done nothing as to explain why. Your post is full of random things that have nothing to do with handing cash to the women's patents.

Pension, that's the difference.

In the West, an individual must save for retirement and everything is geared for that.

Here, the struggle is enough to survive, children are the pension.

Take the child away and what should the parents do?

Take your pension away and what would you do?

It's just how things are.

• Like 1

My Thai Partner and I are happy to pay a Sin Sot.

We will save up for it together ... $ for $.

I don't give a rats ass what others think. I am my own man.

This is my promise to her .. I don't break my promises.

She gave up her job as a manager with an International Company of 12 years to come stay in my country.

Real Love is in play now.

We have kids together.

It is is what is it is.

Start hurling stones on us about now ... frankly, I don't give a .

Do as you want. I am not hurling stones at anyone. However, posts like this highlight everything that is wrong and illogical about sin sot. You proudly proclaim "real love is in play now" and "we have kids together". When do either of these equate to handing over gobs of cash and gold to the women's parents? Maybe you should take that cash and put it in a college fund for the kids..... Just a suggestion........

And she gave up her job to come live in your country. OK, well, again, what in the world does this have to do with giving her parents money.

Again, I don't care if you are paying sin sot....

However, you have done nothing as to explain why. Your post is full of random things that have nothing to do with handing cash to the women's patents.

Pension, that's the difference.

In the West, an individual must save for retirement and everything is geared for that.

Here, the struggle is enough to survive, children are the pension.

Take the child away and what should the parents do?

Take your pension away and what would you do?

It's just how things are.

Good grief, Australians will be paying sin sot on that logic.

The 'age of entitlement' in Oz is over, and in a couple of generations, the aged pension, as we know it, will disappear. You must provide for yourself.

Better gear our kids up to start keeping us, and what better time to start than now, a generation or two ahead of the actual requirement. I know what Australian kids will be saying to their parents.

Ain't we starting to confuse a SinSot ... which, in a modern Thailand, more about Face ... and a Stipend ... which is more about Family or remote Family support?

IMHO

I don't think so David. There are two arms to this. One is the case where the parents want face and then return the sin sod. The other is where the parents keep the sin sod and IMHO out of greed.

It is those cases where the parents keep the sin sod, the groom pays for the wedding, and the envelopes are even sometimes kept by the parents or if not, they don't come close to paying for the wedding let alone the sin sod.

The sod who is paying for his sin by coughing up a million baht and paying for a wedding and all else isn't doing himself or his bride a favor starting out their marriage. So much the worse if the farang's money tree is expected to support the parents.

If the sin sod was for face and was returned and the envelopes helped pay for the wedding then I wouldn't have a problem with it. But I wouldn't trust it to happen, either.

Just my $.02

• Like 2

Fine, I don't care if guys want to hand over a wad of cash to the parents of the girl they intend on marrying. I really don't.... Does not concern me at all. I was simply offering a suggestion for people who do not want to partake in this ridiculously stupid "tradition" of buying a wife.

Well, obviously if you see it like that, you'd be crazy to participate in it. But some people who marry Thais respect the traditions they are marrying into.

Of course they do.. no other choice really.. it's called balance of power!!

He loves her more than she loves him

He needs her more than she needs him

It's amazing how weak men could be. To keep their dream alive, they chose the path of least resistance.

Just pay whatever it takes to keep that dream alive.

• Like 1

Once u let go of your predispositons of sin sod u move on. I couldnt ask for a better wife. 200k is jack shit to me nyway. Have a beautiful young girl on a very good salay who is drop dead gorgeous. If u are too tight to part with that kinda money u arent gonna find ny decent women.

Lol.... These types of posts are hilarious. So you bought a young gorgeous girl for 200,000. Congratulations!

I am far more impressed when individuals find "drop dead gorgeous" women to become their wife when money isn't involved.

And make no mistake buddy..... Maybe YOU can't find a decent women without spending money...... But plenty of us can.

To claim one can't find a decent girl unless they spend money on her..... Well... That would imply the girl in question is a hooker/gold digger..... And the man in question is a straight loser with nothing to offer but money....

Have you ever heard anyone on here say their wife/partner are fugly???

They are all hot, sexy and gorgeous. cheesy.gif

1. It is a Thais culture. (Normal for Thais)

2. It will show your stable life.(your back ground)

3. It can be guarantee for your future wife's family.(make sure you can look after their daughter)

4. It shows how much value of your future wife.(her basic life and job)

5. For the face if your future wife's family rich. (social life)

:-)

Perhaps more like:

1) It is a silly tradition greatly inflated for farangs and seldom used by regular Thais.

2) It will show how gullible you can be for many more requests for cash in the future.

3) It will quickly be spent on the newest electronics or perhaps a car or a lot of whisky.

4) It shows how pathetic it can be to have to buy a wife.

5) Thais will laugh and high five but pretend to show respect when you are around.

• Like 2

F the sin sot , it's out of date old fashion a waste of my hard earned money, which I could be using for the future . Why Thais think that money grows on trees in western country's is beyond me...

Thais think all westerners are rich because of all the two week millionaires throwing money at hookers and beer.

USA.............

You guys known I am a woman. Why would you reveal again? Not very good idea and even everyone agreed I am a man. So what? You will never find out anyway. 555

hmmm.. i could have sworn I saw someone that looked like you loitering outside the entrance of that infamous place in Soi 4.. biggrin.png

1. It is a Thais culture. (Normal for Thais)

2. It will show your stable life.(your back ground)

3. It can be guarantee for your future wife's family.(make sure you can look after their daughter)

4. It shows how much value of your future wife.(her basic life and job)

5. For the face if your future wife's family rich. (social life)

I will respond in order:

1. Sinsot is an important aspect of Thai culture ?

Really ? Ignoring (for the moment) that many cultures a dowry is paid by the wife's family, many Thai families forego this cash payment in exchange for their daughters. Oh yeah, what about MY culture ? (Or are you just going to repeat the old canard hatched by some Thai political hack that the West HAS no culture just like it has no cuisine?)

2. Sinsot is a show of stability ?

TRUTH (for a Thai) is anything they can get by you.

The Thai girl involved with a foreigner is (in all likelihood) damaged goods and seen as a tough sell in the local market by her family. In ANY case you'll NEVER get the full story on her or any guarantee that she will not trade up.

On the other hand you're free to Google me.

3. Sinsot guarantees her future with me ?

Uhuh. What about my future with her. And costs involved in OUR future together in the face of family pressures to the contrary.

4. Sinsot is a show of how much I value her ?

I married her, did I not ? How much of a show (all for the neighbours BTW) do you require ?

Any Westerner who enters a legally binding matrimonial agreement in BOTH his and his wife's jurisdictions is solidly on the hook for all of this stuff and Thai women know this.

Compared to this degree of indemnity the Sinsot is just another version of "taxi money".

I'll leave it there for now.

• Like 1

USA.............

You guys known I am a woman. Why would you reveal again? Not very good idea and even everyone agreed I am a man. So what? You will never find out anyway. 555

hmmm.. i could have sworn I saw someone that looked like you loitering outside the entrance of that infamous place in Soi 4.. biggrin.png

I normally shopping twice a year. Either Orchad rd.in SG or Emporium. If i want cheap stuff I will order online. No need to go the place you mention above. The girl who you saw must be your future wife hang around there.

Ain't we starting to confuse a SinSot ... which, in a modern Thailand, more about Face ... and a Stipend ... which is more about Family or remote Family support?

IMHO.

I don't think so David. There are two arms to this. One is the case where the parents want face and then return the sin sod. The other is where the parents keep the sin sod and IMHO out of greed.

It is those cases where the parents keep the sin sod, the groom pays for the wedding, and the envelopes are even sometimes kept by the parents or if not, they don't come close to paying for the wedding let alone the sin sod.

The sod who is paying for his sin by coughing up a million baht and paying for a wedding and all else isn't doing himself or his bride a favor starting out their marriage. So much the worse if the farang's money tree is expected to support the parents.

If the sin sod was for face and was returned and the envelopes helped pay for the wedding then I wouldn't have a problem with it. But I wouldn't trust it to happen, either.

Just my $.02

Maybe a misunderstanding of terminology.

A 'Stipend' is a weekly/monthly support payment, which, for me, is remote to the SinSot.

We can agree to disagree ... be a boring 'ole place if we are thought the same.

I normally shopping twice a year. Either Orchad rd.in SG or Emporium. If i want cheap stuff I will order online. No need to go the place you mention above. The girl who you saw must be your future wife hang around there.

Khun Oto ... a unmarried mother, with 2 sprogs in Thailand ... Ho-So isn't the definer ... rolleyes.gif

F the sin sot , it's out of date old fashion a waste of my hard earned money, which I could be using for the future . Why Thais think that money grows on trees in western country's is beyond me...

Nobody thought money grows on the tree. How can thai guys get married then?

Most of my Thai friends married Thai guys got minimum 1million baht sin-sod excluded gold and etc.

I dont understand why some farang agaisnt to pay SinSod if they want to marry thai woman and this is a thai culture.

;-)

No, it´s not. Sin sot traces back to Chinese culture.
Most of Thais from South of China. How's different? We had and we did follow this for over thousand years.

If you do not called "cuture" what did you called?

Bullshit

I think that "B_llsh_it"....for yourself? People can give any comments or opinions if not agree try another reasons or debate not just swear words. That will show you have no education or if you had an education then it still doesnt help your manner. Ok na

I think that I have a lot better education than you have, but chicks like you thinks that their shit don't stink. I trive on chicks like you who think they are better then the rest of the world. I have been coming here for 12 years and I found that the best qualities that Thai ladies have are they are hypocrits and liars, so you need a good spanking not sin sod.

Then you sound pretty old. I dont think you married and have any kids. From what you said no one want to lean on you. Lot better education? Went to Oxford, cambridge or harvard? If non of this stay away from me.

My husband went to one of uni i mention but he surrendered. I am not intetested to know you. Dont follow me.

I didnt force you to pay sin sod. Came here long time must got rip off from many girls that's why got insane when talk about sin sod. Hehehe

I am married to a Thai lady and have 2 kids, probably 2 more than you have and the village his leaning on me. But from what I see, chicks like you seems to be high maintenance, instead of opening your big yap, you should get down on your knees and beg.

The OP fancies him/her/itself as quite the little debater.

These Sinsot threads bating really more like "baiting" than debating.

The OP's insistence upon arguing from almost complete ignorance on the one hand and holding up this shopworn element of "Thainess" with the other, places this whole "discussion" squarely in the bin.

• Like 1