Shanghai Pudong

Baa_Mango

10 hour stop over! need to smash out of that airport - possible ? Heard there is a "permit" (note - not visa) that is possible to get @ the airport. I just want to go to city centre and take some pictures, maybe party a bit. Any ideas or clarification on this?!?

Oh automatic ? great. Anyone ever go into Shanghai ? Will read up on it, but hopefully can jump a subway and just go look around a bit. Have travelled around Kunming earlier this year, was quite fun. Even just leaving the airport for a snack and coming back would break up that stop over. thanks for the info :D

Automatic isn't the right word, but yes, depending on your nationality, you can get a transit visa on arrival without needing to do anything ahead of time.

The cheap and slow (maybe 7RMB/ 90 min or so; I don't recall exactly) way to the city from the airport is to take metro line 2 (light green) from the airport.

The better way is to take the Maglev train from the airport. This drops you at the Longyang Road metro station, where you can catch line 2 and shave at least 45-60 min of the trip. I think the Maglev is around 50 RMB, so well worth it in my opinion (for reference a taxi will be about 180 - 200 RMB and probably the slower than the Maglev + metro combination).

The two major stops for the city center on line 2 are Lujaizui and East Nanjing Road. Lujiazui is the "new" downtown with the largest buildings, a couple that have observation decks, but is generally a dull business center unless you want to go shopping for luxury goods. East of East Nanjing Road station is the Bund. Starting and East Nanjing Road heading west is a large pedestrian street/shopping/tourist attraction. Expect to be approached by people selling handbags, watches, "massages", and "helpful" English speaking Chinese "tourists" that offer to show you to a overpriced tea house (I would say the difference between Bangkok and Shanghai is this regard is that there is probably more of these sorts of things in Bangkok, but in Shanghai they are more bold about approaching you; whereas in Bangkok they are there and more often, but not always, wait for you to ask or are more discrete in how they approach you). However, I do like the city and there is plenty to do, most of which I haven't see as when I go there, it is always on business.

• Like 1