Driving to Hat Yai, Songkla, Satun and back.

thailoneus

Travel planned for around mid Dec.

Are there any cautionary things I should be aware of? My question arises out of the issues in the border areas and safety of travel.

The current plan is via Krabi, Trang, Patthalung to Hat Yai. Spend a couple of days in HY and return via Satun.

Not traveling south of HY or Satun.

Thanks for any pointers.

I can give you a route from Krabi to Thale Ban National Park somewhat near Satun... My route going down bypasses the bad road north of Trang. It also by passes going to Hat Yai on the way down, Going back you can also bypass Hat Yai or not. On the way back North you can go to Phattalung then to the loop around Trang back to the bypass north of Trang to avoid the bad roads.

My bypass is to not use Highway 4 but about 1/3 way down and only about 1/2 way back up. Less traffic and less road hazards and more scenery - my way.

I just helped a friend just do this two days ago and he reported it was a piece of cake ... My trip similar to this back in July was not a piece of cake but easy enough.

Also -- learn to use Google Maps -- and have a 3G package on phone or tablet for Internet usage.

Just ask and I will fill you in.

> Also -- learn to use Google Maps -- and have a 3G package on phone or tablet for Internet usage.

Or - if you are not on the Apple Leash - go to http://here.com/beta/android and get here maps. It is free, working well, and map updates for many countries are free, too. You don't need to be online to use it, unless you want to use the live traffic warnings.

• 2 months later...