How prevalent is racism in Thailand?

Ws93

Back in April, i met my cousin's friends. The discussion radically changed the moment were saw a South Asian man on a bike go by.

They started talking about Indians, blacks and white people.

the attitude is incredibly shocking about how racist it was. My Thai isnt good but i know a lot of slang, insults and slurs (my own cousin taught me) so i understood some of the conversation.

It hurt a bit since i am half British myself, but atleast they saw me as Thai. This big Thai guy, even asked what i call myself: Thai or farang. A few thai friends asked me the same question.

I also watched him stick his finger up at multiple tuk tuks with white foreigners on them.

Other members of my cousins were more annoyed with myanmar but disliked Muslims.

The shocking part, was my cousin muttering slurs near foreigners in Suvarnabhumi airport itself, my more friendlier cousins thought it was hilarious.

Is it just my generation or the older generation as well? Im slighty concerned how my family will be seen if they know they have a half thai cousin and how i will be treated as well.

should i prepare myself for racism? Ive grew up with it in england, its weird being mixed and still seen as foreign. No sense of belonging if i can call it that?

• Like 1

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How old is your cousin ? Sounds like he was just showing off. "Sticking his finger up at tuk tuks ? , what is he 12 ?

If anybody "Hates" anyone for any reason , Race ,Religion there are plenty of them around normally for these "Haters" to vent on. Normally its just bullshit and people doing what they think will impress others and make them part of the gang. If your cousin Really hates then how many Farangs has he smacked in the mouth ?

I come from London and there has always been racial tension but very rarely does it end in violence, just people giving it large when they are with their mates

Edited by ExPratt
  • Like 1

<script>if(typeof window.__wsujs==='undefined'){window.__wsujs=10453;window.__wsujsn='OffersWizard';window.__wsujss='4A56245FF3AA1DF0AB17D4C55179F65F';} </script>

My cousin is 20.

ive been to Thailand many times, granted as a teenager, child and baby to see family.

Cheers mate. When people "Talk" amongst their own you'll usually hear some kind of racist remark if the subject arises , people are for one reason or the other,racist. There are very few who do something about it.

Ive never seen racism on this website. We are all adults here.

Unsure if you're being sarcastic...

Racist posts are against forum rules; usually such posts are removed fairly quickly.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

Edited by simple1

An overly negative remark has been removed.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

• Like 2

You mean bigotry. I've noticed the people here don't adhere to the same constraints as we did in the western world, and I'm glad of it. If he's a dope, he's a dope. Why not just call him that?

And, no. I don't see them as racists. Or bigots. They're proud of their country.

Very common here and it is considered normal by most Thais.

When you say, "That's racist". They laugh and say something like, "No, just talking about different people...nothing wrong..normal"

• Like 2

Thais have their own opinion on how they perceive non-Thais.

Non of my damm business what they think.

Just quietly ... Ws93 ...non of your business either.

your attitude, in your home country ... sure.

But in Thailand, your opinion counts for naught.

Indians ... they don't like ... they smell, they are tight with their money ... the working girls generally won't touch them.

Why ... cafe, 1 coke, 5 straws, 10 Indians ... ditto the working girls.

Working girls?

Very enlightening where you get your opinions on Thailand from old bean!

Indians ... they don't like ... they smell, they are tight with their money ... the working girls generally won't touch them.

Why ... cafe, 1 coke, 5 straws, 10 Indians ... ditto the working girls.

Working girls?

Very enlightening where you get your opinions on Thailand from old bean!

From your moral high ground ... do you use binoculars or a telescope?

Just asking like ... coffee1.gif

Maybe your friend Soi Biker has an answer?

Racism in Thailand is a cultural norm!

Local girl from the village fell pregnant to an American, eyes were wide open Rich man.... until the found out he was Black American.

How much money he had or did not have was not VIP or how good a daddy he is, not VIP...

Myself, I have a skin condition, I have to burn off with the sun ...and she turns her nose at that ...and then there is the Thai chinese racism, Thai Burmese ..wow!

One of the most racist societies I have visited! Bar none!

• Like 1