Ws93

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Racism in Thailand is a cultural norm!

Local girl from the village fell pregnant to an American, eyes were wide open Rich man.... until the found out he was Black American.

How much money he had or did not have was not VIP or how good a daddy he is, not VIP...

Myself, I have a skin condition, I have to burn off with the sun ...and she turns her nose at that ...and then there is the Thai chinese racism, Thai Burmese ..wow!

One of the most racist societies I have visited! Bar none!

Here is my take on the situation.

Thais automatically visualise Americans as being white Caucasians. A black man suddenly appears on the scene and they automatically think, must come from or has strong connections with Africa one of the poor nations and is therefore a social climb down the ladder for their most beautiful daughter who is a prize catch for any man and therefore should have chosen better. It`s more of a social appearance and status stigma than a racial issue.

Seriously, this racist load of gutter tripe is allowed to run??

Agreed. Enlightening to see what certain member's opinions are and where they come from.

The OP is allowed to state his, or in your case, her opinions..

Agreed. Makes for fascinating insight.

Indeed it does.

frollywolly ... just how do you see the Thais think about other Nationals, who live in Thailand, but aren't Thai.

Cutting edge ... I'm sure.

Since this happened back in April, which was about 8 whole months ago now, hopefully your cousin and his dim witted, narrow minded, never travelled anywhere friends, have grown up a bit.

Ususally this mindset is the bred from poor parenting.

• Like 1

antiquated view of the world partly fuelled by ignorance, an outdated overtly nationalistic national curriculum in the education system, as well as just thoughts past down through generations. I haven't seen racism in the western sense of crossburning and creed hating kinda way..

Most Thais have serious resentment against Indians (as well as Pakistanis, Bangladeshis, etc) and even use the quasi-slur แขก/kaek or "guest" just because at this point in time there are many successful naturalized Indian people who are Thai already (2nd, 3rd generation).

Quite funny to hear people using the word Lao as an insult and derogative slur, as if they are unaware of the deep connections in SEA between all of the Thai - Lao - Cambodia - Burma citizens.

Westerners just cant leave their beaks out of other Cultures.They cant even leave the Hidden Tribes of the Amazon alone.Those dam Mormons here,what do they want.?.Mind Control Freaks.............Regarding Thai Men, many ferangs judge them by the Thai Wifes Brother or Son, thus stereotyping but not racist.

antiquated view of the world partly fuelled by ignorance, an outdated overtly nationalistic national curriculum in the education system, as well as just thoughts past down through generations. I haven't seen racism in the western sense of crossburning and creed hating kinda way..

Most Thais have serious resentment against Indians (as well as Pakistanis, Bangladeshis, etc) and even use the quasi-slur แขก/kaek or "guest" just because at this point in time there are many successful naturalized Indian people who are Thai already (2nd, 3rd generation).

Quite funny to hear people using the word Lao as an insult and derogative slur, as if they are unaware of the deep connections in SEA between all of the Thai - Lao - Cambodia - Burma citizens.

The Lao slur comes from the fact most Red Shirt Commies come from Lao.Thats their prerogative towards immigrants,they caused much unrest and hurt to Thais years back.

Thais have their own opinion on how they perceive non-Thais.

Non of my damm business what they think.

Just quietly ... Ws93 ...non of your business either.

your attitude, in your home country ... sure.

But in Thailand, your opinion counts for naught.

The OP is half Thai & talking about an aspect of his experiences when visting friends and family in Thailand. My stepson, when visting family and friends in Thailand, his opinions certainly count with them. How have you reached your all encompassing conclusion?

Our Thai family is based in Pattaya, they regularly experience borish and rude behaviour by Westeners (they have regular jobs, do not work in the sex industry) and strongly dislike Westeners of that type of behaviour. However, not a generalised racist / bigoted attitude towards Westeners.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 2

Racism is A-OK in Thailand. It's not culturally un-pc as it is in the Western world. It's out in the open, blatant, and socially acceptable.

I would not say that racism is OK in Thailand or anywhere else, except here it`s practised in a more delicate form.

In Thailand most foreigners are tolerated providing they know their place within the scheme of things in Thai society, Thais first and foreigners are at the bottom of the heap. Providing we do not hold high expectations as having equal status or considered as an actual community within the country and not treading on the Thais turf, then we are tolerated but kept under the thumb, which in a way could be described as racism or just Thailand protecting the interests of it`s own people, depending on opinion.

I personally complement Thailand for placing the interests of their own people first and securing their own culture from outside influences. Again some may consider this as racism a sort of fascist socirty and others like me may consider this as just preservation of anything pertaining that is Thai.

The concept of Thais being racist towards white westerners I don't get. I think falangs evoke mixed emotions in many sure, but I don't think they are of a racist nature. Quite the opposite, I think we can all agree "FALANG" just spells obsession if anything. I have heard it a million times, never have I heard thais speaking about chinese and koreans etc.

Racism is A-OK in Thailand. It's not culturally un-pc as it is in the Western world. It's out in the open, blatant, and socially acceptable.

Bold sweeping generalizations with nothing to back it up. Completely at odds with my experiences, but I'm not saying my experiences are definitive.

Baa_Mango:

You label both "Kaek" and "Lao" as derogatory slurs.

When I have heard these terms used it has never been in an insulting or derogatory/disparaging context.

I find your claim that the term "Lao" is derogatory to be particularly surprising. When I hear this term used in central Thailand it seems almost always to be done in a teasing way to explain why someone is not speaking central standard Thai. Regularly, people who speak Issan dialects toss out words like "Bor" to test whether I can understand their dialect. I've never sensed that they feel inferior or are made to feel inferior because of their regional dialect. In fact, I'm left with the impression that they are quite proud of their linguistic heritage.

I've asked dozens of people about their attitude about people from Issan. I've never heard comments like they're lazy, dishonest, stupid, whatever, etc. Most of the time people say they have hard lives because of the regional difference in climate. There are lots of people who work in a migrant work capacity who come into my area at harvest time. They come from Chaiyaphum, Khon Kaen, Korat. The local farmers never display a negative attitude about them, and I've never heard any kind of "thank god they finally went home" comments when they return home at the end of the harvest. Also lots of intermarriage locally between Issan and Central Thailand communities.

An Indian guy had a thread a few months ago claiming he was treated rudely in Bangkok. I really can't speak to this issue as I do not live in Bangkok and there aren't any Indians in my area. But I have met Indians in Bangkok who seem to be well integrated and happy. The Indian temples in Bangkok certainly seem to well-integrated into their neighborhoods.

Edited by Gecko123

Indians ... they don't like ... they smell, they are tight with their money ... the working girls generally won't touch them.

Why ... cafe, 1 coke, 5 straws, 10 Indians ... ditto the working girls.

Working girls?

Very enlightening where you get your opinions on Thailand from old bean!

From your moral high ground ... do you use binoculars or a telescope?

Just asking like ... coffee1.gif

Maybe your friend Soi Biker has an answer?

I don't get any of my opinions from bar girls for two simple reasons. I don't mix in their circle and I make my own opinions. Why would you say that is high moral ground?

You keep banging on about your wife and twins. Do they want to hear your view of what Thai people think through the filtered eyes of a bar girl?

In your post you give your opinion that Thai people only see westerners 3 ways. Utter tosh!

What of my Thai friends? They get no money from me. They are not my partner. Never will be. Yet they view me as a friend.

You need to expand your circle of Thai friends. It must be small. if at all

Edited by frollywolly

Dear Gecko123

Lao in itself is short for Laotion which is not a slur.

When someone looks at another person and says look how Lao that guy looks, or look at that Lao fashion hes got, that seems to be implying something. This is my experince with friends, mostly from university. There are tons of slangs that usually come out basiaclly using Lao as a synonym with low class etc etc. I've found it ironic as because as you point out, there is a huge Laotion populatin and obviously many areas of Isaan speak Lao and sub dialects of it. To be honest I've heard all sorts of Thais from all areas of the country, talk badly about others, whether central, southern, NE, North, there do exist tons of preconceived notions.

Believe me the word "Lao" is thrown around TONS, especially with younger people. Its more of a playful insult than a tradiional western style "slur" would be but still, this is very common. Go look in bathroom stalls in older shopping malls or universities.. " Banks dad is Lao mak" "Nok is a Lao whore" etc etc. even Imperial Sumrong is known as Jaap land (จ๊าบแลนด์๗ taken from the insensitive nationality based insult of เสี่ยวจ๊าบลาว .. anyways seems like you missed the boat on my post, or perhaps my semi coherent gibberish wasn't adding up for you. The word Kaek is literally guest but can be often used in a very resentful manner towards Indians, although my point is that it is aimed at the long term residents here..

Oh just re-reading your post, your talking about hanging out with farmers and such - yes I doubt these people would be ridiculing Lao or Isaan workers, my point is that LAO the word itself is used as an insult.. anyways yes I see that now you don't live in BKK and basiacally have no clue what I am talking about. Jeez. Anyways long story short - these things are deeply ingrained in Thai culture, especially with middle to uppler class people living in Bangkok.

Anyone remember the channel 3 news clip where they showed a bunch of dodgy and insulting translations for Lao language comparing it with Thai? They had green light and red light as some really laughable mythical crap which was pretty insulting, of course was a huge back lash and what not and the producer had to play dumb and say it was a translation error and what not.

Baa_Mango:

When I have heard these terms used it has never been in an insulting or derogatory/disparaging context.

I find your claim that the term "Lao" is derogatory to be particularly surprising. When I hear this term used in central Thailand it seems almost always to be done in a teasing way to explain why someone is not speaking central standard Thai. Regularly, people who speak Issan dialects toss out words like "Bor" to test whether I can understand their dialect. I've never sensed that they feel inferior or are made to feel inferior because of their regional dialect. In fact, I'm left with the impression that they are quite proud of their linguistic heritage.

I've asked dozens of people about their attitude about people from Issan. I've never heard comments like they're lazy, dishonest, stupid, whatever, etc. Most of the time people say they have hard lives because of the regional difference in climate. There are lots of people who work in a migrant work capacity who come into my area at harvest time. They come from Chaiyaphum, Khon Kaen, Korat. The local farmers never display a negative attitude about them, and I've never heard any kind of "thank god they finally went home" comments when they return home at the end of the harvest. Also lots of intermarriage locally between Issan and Central Thailand communities.

An Indian guy had a thread a few months ago claiming he was treated rudely in Bangkok. I really can't speak to this issue as I do not live in Bangkok and there aren't any Indians in my area. But I have met Indians in Bangkok who seem to be well integrated and happy. The Indian temples in Bangkok certainly seem to well-integrated into their neighborhoods.

i have never heard a thai say : 'dumb farang'

but ive seen farangs say : dumb thai' one million times on this forum

whos the racist?

Thai isn't a race, it's a nationality.

Insulting Thais may make you a bigot, but it certainly doesn't make you a racist.

PS.

White people are not a majority in the USA, not sure about the UK.

Edited by BritManToo

Dear Gecko123

Lao in itself is short for Laotion which is not a slur.

When someone looks at another person and says look how Lao that guy looks, or look at that Lao fashion hes got, that seems to be implying something. This is my experince with friends, mostly from university. There are tons of slangs that usually come out basiaclly using Lao as a synonym with low class etc etc. I've found it ironic as because as you point out, there is a huge Laotion populatin and obviously many areas of Isaan speak Lao and sub dialects of it. To be honest I've heard all sorts of Thais from all areas of the country, talk badly about others, whether central, southern, NE, North, there do exist tons of preconceived notions.

Believe me the word "Lao" is thrown around TONS, especially with younger people. Its more of a playful insult than a tradiional western style "slur" would be but still, this is very common. Go look in bathroom stalls in older shopping malls or universities.. " Banks dad is Lao mak" "Nok is a Lao whore" etc etc. even Imperial Sumrong is known as Jaap land (จ๊าบแลนด์๗ taken from the insensitive nationality based insult of เสี่ยวจ๊าบลาว .. anyways seems like you missed the boat on my post, or perhaps my semi coherent gibberish wasn't adding up for you. The word Kaek is literally guest but can be often used in a very resentful manner towards Indians, although my point is that it is aimed at the long term residents here..

Oh just re-reading your post, your talking about hanging out with farmers and such - yes I doubt these people would be ridiculing Lao or Isaan workers, my point is that LAO the word itself is used as an insult.. anyways yes I see that now you don't live in BKK and basiacally have no clue what I am talking about. Jeez. Anyways long story short - these things are deeply ingrained in Thai culture, especially with middle to uppler class people living in Bangkok.

Anyone remember the channel 3 news clip where they showed a bunch of dodgy and insulting translations for Lao language comparing it with Thai? They had green light and red light as some really laughable mythical crap which was pretty insulting, of course was a huge back lash and what not and the producer had to play dumb and say it was a translation error and what not.

Baa_Mango:

Interesting exchange of experiences. Your post and OP's post do touch on a very interesting question: does the younger generation have a less positive attitude towards foreigners than older Thais? Attitudes may be changing. Definitely something to keep an eye on.

Right now, however I'd still put my money on rural farmer attitudes being a better reflection of Thai culture than relying on Bangkok bathroom graffiti, but I'll admit you may be on to something here.

whos the racist?

Thai isn't a race, it's a nationality.

Insulting Thais may make you a bigot, but it certainly doesn't make you a racist.

PS.

White people are not a majority in the USA, not sure about the UK.

What? White people are in fact the majority in the USA. By a signficant margin. Do you ever check your facts before you open your mouth?

whos the racist?

I cant count the number of times ive seen and heard farangs trying to teach a thai person to do something the way they are use to doing it. Seems like some type of farang sickness.

White people come here after a lifetime of being the majority in theyre home country. Then they experience what its like to be the minority when they get to thailand.

It works both ways, but experiencing being the minority is something new to me.

I'm from the UK where a lot of immigrants, indian, eastern european etc.. are generally looked down on or plain hated by certain sections of society, and it's not unusual for a lot of the (mainly working class) people there to make some racist comments or worse. It's a sad state of affairs but not uncommon as many will tell you. Personally I've always been anti-racist and often had a word with mates or people who would make off-hand comments or just be racist dicks in general, people are people, but maybe thats why I find it a little difficult to adjust to life here.

Here I've heard plenty of farang this or farang that comments, got plenty of horrible looks, my Mrs is Thai and occasionally says something bad in Thai to someone and when I ask what it was all about she'll tell me she overheard them saying horrible stuff about 'the farang'. I'm not a Chang vest, beer in hand idiot either, just going about my business quietly.

To say there's no racism here is pure naivety. But as said, it's everywhere, not just here.

Edited by mynameisphil

whos the racist?

I cant count the number of times ive seen and heard farangs trying to teach a thai person to do something the way they are use to doing it. Seems like some type of farang sickness.

White people come here after a lifetime of being the majority in theyre home country. Then they experience what its like to be the minority when they get to thailand.

It works both ways, but experiencing being the minority is something new to me.

I'm from the UK where a lot of immigrants, indian, eastern european etc.. are generally looked down on or plain hated by certain sections of society, and it's not unusual for a lot of the (mainly working class) people there to make some racist comments or worse. It's a sad state of affairs but not uncommon as many will tell you. Personally I've always been anti-racist and often had a word with mates or people who would make off-hand comments or just be racist dicks in general, people are people, but maybe thats why I find it a little difficult to adjust to life here.

Here I've heard plenty of farang this or farang that comments, got plenty of horrible looks, my Mrs is Thai and occasionally says something bad in Thai to someone and when I ask what it was all about she'll tell me she overheard them saying horrible stuff about 'the farang'. I'm not a Chang vest, beer in hand idiot either, just going about my business quietly.

To say there's no racism here is pure naivety. But as said, it's everywhere, not just here.

Ridercnx makes a good point. I too have run into many more racist farangs in Thailand than racist Thais. Perhaps it is you who's being naive...or in denial.

Ridercnx makes a good point. I too have run into many more racist farangs in Thailand than racist Thais. Perhaps it is you who's being naive...or in denial.

In denial of what?

I'm saying that it's the same both ways. Westerners, Thai, whatever.. people the world over people are racist, it's just the way it is. I was actually agreeing that for some westerners it's their first taste of being on the receiving end of it.

Comparing how many racists you know of whatever race/country etc.. makes no difference, the fact is that racism is as prevalent here as it is anywhere else.

Edited by mynameisphil

Ive never seen racism on this website. We are all adults here.

Unsure if you're being sarcastic...

Racist posts are against forum rules; usually such posts are removed fairly quickly.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

Really? Unsure? We can speculate on what Ws93 meant, but we can rule out sarcasm, since the comment does not approach any critical definition of sarcasm. Indirect/oblique/veiled comments do not equal sarcasm! It's not a matter of interpretation or degree. To help you understand this, I might buy you a dictionary for your birthday. Ahhh, now there's sarcasm. See the difference? I expect not. And ping pong bat at the ready, right? *sigh*

• Like 1

I am generalizing, but...

Most Thais don't think anyone who is not Thai is as good as they are.

It kind of strange since anyone who can afford to visit here from a western country spends more on air fare than most can earn here in Thailand in a year.

Many people need to look down on others to make themselves feel better..

Too bad..huh?

• Like 1