Phuket: No booze ban on December 5

webfact

Phuket: No booze ban on December 5
Tanyaluk Sakoot

1417493239_1-org.jpg

PHUKET: -- There will be no ban on alcohol on December 5 – HM the King’s birthday, it has been announced.

The Phuket News this morning contacted Phuket police commander Maj Gen Patchara Boonyasit who said that he had received no notification from the Royal Thai Police in Bangkok but added that, looking at previous years, an alcohol ban was unlikely.

In Bangkok, however, a spokesman for the Royal Thai Police confirmed that he had spoken with the Police Strategy Unit which had decided there would be no booze ban on December 5, nor even any “request” to shops, bars, restaurants and wholesalers not to sell alcohol on the day.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/no-booze-ban-on-december-5-49934.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-12-02

• Like 1

The Phuket News this morning contacted Phuket police commander Maj Gen Patchara Boonyasit who said that he had received no notification from the Royal Thai Police in Bangkok but added that, looking at previous years, an alcohol ban was unlikely.

In Bangkok, however, a spokesman for the Royal Thai Police confirmed that he had spoken with the Police Strategy Unit which had decided there would be no booze ban on December 5, nor even any “request” to shops, bars, restaurants and wholesalers not to sell alcohol on the day.

Still plenty of space left for 'misunderstandings'. The quoted part could be read as the 'no ban' applying to Bangkok, it does not specifically state that it also applies to Phuket.

Let's see what the headlines are saying on Saturday.

This happened before for the Queen's birthday. In Phuket there was officially no ban on the sale of alcohol but any shops or bars that sold booze were highly frowned upon and that is generally sufficient to have the police giving you a very hard time for a while. Closing shows respect, especially if they don't have to close. When the bars are ordered to close they are merely following orders and not necessarily showing respect. I would strongly recommend that bars consider closing on that day and individuals who wish to drink, stock up earlier.

Still plenty of space left for 'misunderstandings'. The quoted part could be read as the 'no ban' applying to Bangkok, it does not specifically state that it also applies to Phuket.

Look at the whole article and it is clear what is meant. No booze ban nor request not to sell.

I strongly suspect most bars will close on the 5th, as in previous years.

And I strongly suspect that the bar stewards of Bangla would not give up any opportunity

to make a fast buck or two from unsuspecting tourists and expats alike. thumbsup.gif

I am a Bangla Road "bar steward" jock, and although closing for a day represents a serious loss of revenue during High Season, I am prepared to show some respect if that's what is expected.

Incidentally, not all of us "make a fast buck from unsuspecting tourists..." !

• Like 1

And I strongly suspect that the bar stewards of Bangla would not give up any opportunity

to make a fast buck or two from unsuspecting tourists and expats alike. thumbsup.gif

I am a Bangla Road "bar steward" jock, and although closing for a day represents a serious loss of revenue during High Season, I am prepared to show some respect if that's what is expected.

Unfortunately jimbo imo the vast majority of the Bangla bars are out "to make a fast buck from unsuspecting

tourists "

So you are " prepared to show some respect if that's what is expected " so you would show respect because

you think that is what is expected of you not because you genuinely feel respect, how sincere are you? facepalm.gif

Unfortunately jimbo imo the vast majority of the Bangla bars are out "to make a fast buck from unsuspecting

tourists "

So you are " prepared to show some respect if that's what is expected " so you would show respect because

you think that is what is expected of you not because you genuinely feel respect, how sincere are you? facepalm.gif

Oh, don't get me wrong Jock, i'd much rather open if i can. I've lost too many days this year due to curfew restrictions, Big Buddha days, Mother's Day etc etc to really afford to close. But if the general consensus is that Bangla should close up, i'm not going to fly in the face of popular custom. Its not my country, after all.

Incidentally, i agree with your comment about "the vast majority of Bangla Bars" out to make a rip-off baht. I pride myself in offering genuine entertainment and value for money. Nothing pleases me more than seeing a bar full of happy people enjoying a good night out. And it pisses me off mightily at the touts and ping-pong bars ripping off the tourists.

tourists "

Oh, don't get me wrong Jock, i'd much rather open if i can. I've lost too many days this year due to curfew restrictions, Big Buddha days, Mother's Day etc etc to really afford to close. But if the general consensus is that Bangla should close up, i'm not going to fly in the face of popular custom. Its not my country, after all.

Incidentally, i agree with your comment about "the vast majority of Bangla Bars" out to make a rip-off baht. I pride myself in offering genuine entertainment and value for money. Nothing pleases me more than seeing a bar full of happy people enjoying a good night out. And it pisses me off mightily at the touts and ping-pong bars ripping off the tourists.

OK jimbo tell me roughly where on Bangla your bar is, soi etc, and tell me how much you charge for

A/ a beer B/ a short with mixer C/ ladies drink and D/ bar fine and I will judge for myself if you

are ripping people off or not????? Don't be shy Jimbo

The Phuket Gazette is telling a different story (barowners called to honor father's day booze ban), but the site is not working at the moment so can't link.

The site's up now and, as expected, bars will be closed on Bangla on friday night.

Look at the whole article and it is clear what is meant. No booze ban nor request not to sell.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette December 4, 2014

Vice Governor Somkiet told the Phuket Gazette...

I have signed an official request for all alcohol venues not to serve alcohol from Friday night through sunrise Saturday morning, he confirmed.

Oh well, 'Twas nice while it lasted. smile.png

Edited by fester the benevolent