Foreign bike driver injured in Central Pattaya Road Crash

webfact

Foreign bike driver injured in Central Pattaya Road Crash

crash-32.jpg

PATTAYA: -- In the early hours of Monday a foreign bike driver was badly hurt following a collision with a Baht Bus on Pattaya Second Road.

The crash occurred at the front of Soi 13 and resulted in suspected head injuries sustained by the foreign man who was unable to provide Police with a name or nationality.

The Baht Bus Driver, Khun Chaiyo aged 44, told his version of events to Police and described how he was driving along Pattaya Second Road when he saw the bike speed out of Soi 13. He claimed the bike driver failed to slow down and look to see if there was any oncoming traffic. His bike slammed into the side of the Baht Bus and the driver fell onto the road and his bike came to rest 20 meters away.

Full story: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/157405/foreign-bike-driver-injured-in-central-pattaya-road-crash/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2014-12-03

I thought you had to turn left onto Second road.

Yes, Second Road is a one-way street. But Soi 13 is also a one-way street, and it is in the direction from 2nd Road towards Beach Road (west). In order to turn left at 2nd Road, he was traveling in the wrong direction on Soi 13 (east).

• Like 1

I thought you had to turn left onto Second road.

You do, however....

phazod is right. The rider was going the wrong way. Soi 13 is one way in SEAWARD direction. Also note "in the early hours of the morning". I would bet the rider was DRUNK.

Not that it matters in Thailand, but if the bike rider was turning left from Soi 13 onto Second Road, he was traveling in the wrong direction on a one-way road. Once in a blue moon, there's actually a traffic policeman there stopping the bikes and relieving them of some tea money.

Just today here in Nothaburi (not that many foreigners) Saw one going against traffic on a U turn no helmet nothing. I was going on my bike on the same U turn the right way. Some foreigners are just as bad as Thais one should think they know better.

The first picture on the news website looks like the baht bus is parked up on the east side of second, nearer to Thip Plaza? Is that the sign in the background? That's over 100m from the end of Soi 13. More like the bike shot out of Soi 12 and was making a diagonal beeline for Soi Diana (don't they all?!) and the baht bus was not exactly tootling along in the inside lane looking for a fare.

Expats living here are one thing (I suppose...), but tourists here pick-up a cheap & easy motobike rental and immediately begin imitating all the worst behaviors of the locals, to particularly include the mototaxi drivers. It's these maniac foreigners who pose the biggest threat to pedestrians and others, as illustrated by this incident. Another common ex: pedestrians trying to cross 2nd Rd with these idiots moving at lightspeed in & out hetween larger vehicles, rushing at any open pavement they see, without being able to see more than a few feet ahead of themselves because of the larger vehicles they can't see around but think they can rapid-swerve around. They're even up on the footpaths!! I'd have no problem with simply banning this whole industry - thai drive-safety course plus thai d/l plus non-tourist visa plus locally obtained insurance plus centralized/computerized registration requirement to rent a bike (with a lifetime ban if caught DUI). The cops can't checkpoint these drivers enough.

Not that it matters in Thailand, but if the bike rider was turning left from Soi 13 onto Second Road, he was traveling in the wrong direction on a one-way road. Once in a blue moon, there's actually a traffic policeman there stopping the bikes and relieving them of some tea money.

Wrong. Coming up Soi 13 towards 2nd Road, you have to turn left to go with the flow of traffic. Turn right and you are going the wrong way on a one-way road. I can also tell you that everyday I see bike riders turn onto 2nd Road without ever looking for oncoming traffic. The stupidity of these drivers, both Falangs & Thai's, simply astonishes me.

Follow up:

Just read the other comments. Yes, Soi 13 is one-way towards the beach, so he was going the wrong way on Soi 13, but certainly did not turn the wrong way once reaching 2nd Road. In all honesty, if I was parked at Wonderful Bar 2, and wanted to travel along 2nd Road, I probably would go that way on Soi 13 also. Again, bike riders, and I am one, need to stop and look at every intersection.

Edited by stoli