Prosecutors claim case against Koh Tao Myanmar pair is solid: source

webfact

Prosecutors claim case against Koh Tao Myanmar pair is solid: source
Suwannee Bandisak
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Public prosecutors expect the case against two Myanmar suspects accused of murdering two British tourists on Koh Tao to be treated seriously by a court in the South because they believe the evidence is solid, an informed source said yesterday.

The arraignment of the suspects looks set to take place this week.

Suspects Zaw Lin and Win Zaw Htun, however, insist they were forced to confess to crimes they did not commit.

The two Britons were brutally killed on Koh Tao, a usually idyllic island in Surat Thani province, on September 15.

The suspects were illegal migrant workers on the island at the time the shocking crimes took place.

The source yesterday said a public prosecutor working on the case insisted there was incriminating evidence against the two Myanmar suspects.

"Procedures followed by investigators are also in line with laws. At first, they just charged the two Myanmar suspects with illegally entering Thailand. Murder charges have been pressed only after solid evidence emerged against them," the prosecutor was quoted as saying.

The source did not identify the public prosecutor by name. Both local and foreign institutes have conducted DNA tests on the investigation into the Koh Tao crime and their results point fingers at the accused, the source alleged.

While Thai police insist they solved the case with legitimate evidence, speculation has been rife on social media that the two Myanmar men are just scapegoats.

Tawatchai Seangchaew, who heads the Office of State Attorney Region 8, said yesterday that lingering doubt among social-media users may stem from the fact they have not seen all the evidence.

"When the case reaches the court, the two suspects will be brought to the courtroom. There, they can plead innocent or guilty. And the court will handle the rest," he said.

Tawatchai said parents of the victims would be notified about the progress in the case before the hearings start.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Prosecutors-claim-case-against-Koh-Tao-Myanmar-pai-30249057.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-12-03

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this case folds I'd like to think that's not where it ends but LoS isn't big on accountability and related issues and to make the situation more complicated it goes all the way to the very top so action, if any, will be minimal except MAYBE for a couple of scapegoats.

I'm sure the powers that be will want to file and forget as quickly and quietly as possible.

Edited by metisdead
Font reset to default forum font.
  • Like 1

The evil being perpetrated by the police and prosecutors is beyond belief. They are knowingly and willingly(for whatever reasons - be it cash, currying favors with superiors) attempting to murder the 2 Burmese scapegoats. After the scapegoats have been released and compensated, I expect all uniforms associated with this pathetic farce of a coverup to face severe charges of attempted murder for sending innocent persons to a potential death sentence.

I have kept a log of names of all officials that are complicit here in this case. Justice will be served, although it is not yet clear through what channel. My money would be on vigilantes detaining and "having a chat" with some of the bent officials to discover the truth, and then some sort of fitting punishment meted out. For the record, nobody is above vigilante justice due to birthrights.

Now that is what I call positive commentary, not like some of the powder puff rhetoric by certain posters who have some vested interest in letting these cretins go free.

• Like 2

The evil being perpetrated by the police and prosecutors is beyond belief. They are knowingly and willingly(for whatever reasons - be it cash, currying favors with superiors) attempting to murder the 2 Burmese scapegoats. After the scapegoats have been released and compensated, I expect all uniforms associated with this pathetic farce of a coverup to face severe charges of attempted murder for sending innocent persons to a potential death sentence.

I have kept a log of names of all officials that are complicit here in this case. Justice will be served, although it is not yet clear through what channel. My money would be on vigilantes detaining and "having a chat" with some of the bent officials to discover the truth, and then some sort of fitting punishment meted out. For the record, nobody is above vigilante justice due to birthrights.

All looks nice sweet when you read what you have written, but they will never be released

Nothing will be fair about this trial and I suspect however good your intentions are it will all fall on death ears

I think we can trust the 'source' in this article as much as we can trust the the RTP's version of events.

"Both local and foreign institutes have conducted DNA tests on the investigation into the Koh Tao crime and their results point fingers at the accused, the source alleged."

Really, its already been stated many times that all the tests were carried out in Thailand, none went to Singapore and certainly the B2 tests, which were back after 12 hours

I have been wading through the Ferguson Grand Jury evidence etc, which is available on line (I'm up to page 448 of 5675 pages). Since this case is so "solid" how about RTP post their evidence too? Shouldn't compromise the case (as if anyone is concerned about that at this point) as perhaps defense attorneys given all of prosecutors evidence (well, I don't know about that.... this isn't like USA rules....perhaps). If we could look at the "facts" as portrayed by RTP then we armchair wise guys could really have fun looking for holes.

They obviously have something up their sleeve. The RTP are not as stupid as many make them out to be.

Actually...the vast majority are stupid. Proper stupid.

As long as the 2 boys have competent lawyers, this will be shown in court.

• Like 1

They obviously have something up their sleeve. The RTP are not as stupid as many make them out to be.

Actually...the vast majority are stupid. Proper stupid.

As long as the 2 boys have competent lawyers, this will be shown in court.

All that will be shown is the B2s guilt sadly i think. The tone of the article sets the verdict. Is written like there is no doubt of guilt and I dont think Thai judges will go against that no matter how the defence perform.

Remember, even have general PM congratulate police on job well done.

who would rock the boat? Nothing in it for them.

• Like 2