Israel PM Benjamin Netanyahu seeks early general election

webfact

hopefully they will kick out this nutcase in the next election.

What is the sense of disposing of one nut in a basketful?

There are more moderate Israeli politicians and there are ones further to the right as well.

I don't think Natanyahu is a nutcase but I also think there a good case to replace him.

Bottom line -- Israel is a democracy and this decision is really up to them.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Somehow I find any forum member advocating the use of a nuclear suitcase device on Israel (or any other country for that matter) somewhat disturbing.

Hopefully I misunderstood his intent when he said this...

"However, it's all academic if the reports of Hamas having perfected (with North Korea's help) a briefcase bomb are correct, lookout Israel your days are numbered."

Your footer is very apt and appropriate.

Thank you.

I did it specifically for folks like you.

Cheers.

• Like 1

You don't have to mention the word Jews. Obsessive demonization of Israel is always about Jews by definition. Look at the flag, mate. Do you know any OTHER nation with the STAR OF DAVID on it?

GOTCHA!....and at last an admission from you that that is really what its all about.

OH! and please, I'm not your mate!

Not sure what you think you've busted me about mate. But I'll leave your post without further response and let it stand in it's delicious ridiculousness as is.

• Like 2

"I'm not Israeli and I have nothing to do with their "lobby". You keep proving that you don't know what you are talking about".

Yet once again, your arrogance is shining through. You must be right and those who disagree with you, wrong. You personify the very essence of Israeli arrogance and intransigence in this matter.

Israeli arrogance.rolleyes.gif I think he's not talking about Arab Israelis. cheesy.gif

If you're looking for Jews you can still push around without consequence, try Norway or France.

Israel was created for a reason.

Thousands of years of Jewish history -- it made sense.

If Israel was the state of some MUSLIM ARAB minority. what percentage of the Israeli demonization set would be at all interested? One? Or zero?

I am very glad you ask, because, surprise surprise, it's not all about the Jews, and Jews playing the victim card.

If Israel was a state of some Muslim Arab minority, or Hindus, or Eskimos, and doing what Israel is doing, I would be criticising just as vocally, in exactly the same way as now where criminal Israel is run by Jews.

You prefer to play the Jews are victims card, the anti-semite card, but the Jewishness of it is totally irrelevant. It just so happens that a rogue, criminal state is run by Jews.

• Like 1

You don't have to mention the word Jews. Obsessive demonization of Israel is always about Jews by definition. Look at the flag, mate. Do you know any OTHER nation with the STAR OF DAVID on it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCBINSWCiAE

"This institution is part of the "people" who enslave the whole planet"

Hint -- he's not talking about Southern Baptists.

You are trying very very hard to make it about Jews.

It's not, except insofar as they run the state of Israel.

• Like 1

Somehow I find any forum member advocating the use of a nuclear suitcase device on Israel (or any other country for that matter) somewhat disturbing.

Hopefully I misunderstood his intent when he said this...

"However, it's all academic if the reports of Hamas having perfected (with North Korea's help) a briefcase bomb are correct, lookout Israel your days are numbered."

You misunderstood.

Again.

You seem to try hard to make out any words that come from people that criticise Republicans, America, or Israel to be something that they are not.

Classic case in point here; An observation of some conspiracy theory is made out by you to be advocating it's use!

Very imaginative.

I find it thoroughly intriguing that when anyone criticises the state of Israel and/or anything associated with it, the apologists come out in their droves and within a very short space of time stoop to abuse. It speaks volumes for the indoctrination and mindset they all seem to have undergone as the so called 'chosen ones' and reduces any argument they may have had e.g. re. the Palestinian problem to superfluous and irrelevant rubbish.

• Like 1

I find it thoroughly intriguing that when anyone criticises the state of Israel and/or anything associated with it, the apologists come out in their droves and within a very short space of time stoop to abuse. It speaks volumes for the indoctrination and mindset they all seem to have undergone as the so called 'chosen ones' and reduces any argument they may have had e.g. re. the Palestinian problem to superfluous and irrelevant rubbish.

Not just any criticism. Objective fair critics welcomed. Obsessive demonization is not. Using obvious inflammatory code words like arrogance and chosen ones. Welcome to my ignore list. No interest in any communication with obvious Israel demonizers. Let others have that big fun!

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Not just any criticism. Objective fair critics welcomed. Obsessive demonization is not. Using obvious inflammatory code words like arrogance and chosen ones. Welcome to my ignore list. No interest in any communication with obvious Israel demonizers. Let others have that big fun!

Wonderful news!

Sent from my Singer portable sewing machine using 000 nylon thread connected to the pigeons that flock to my roof.

• Like 1

Exactly ... denials by obsessive Israel demonizers / "anti-Zionists" are rarely credible.

You and Ulysses G. ought to start up a mutual Israeli admiration society. Well, you would have at least two members.

Sent from my Singer portable sewing machine using 000 nylon thread connected to the pigeons that flock to my roof.

• Like 2

"I will not tolerate an opposition within the government anymore," he said.

"I will not tolerate ministers attacking government policy from within the government, attacking its leader, motivated by political interests, and being irresponsible at a national level."

smile.png He can take a cue from Thailand I guess?

If there is no opposition within a govt is it a govt? Or a Totalitarian regime?

I mean I see the problem he describes all too clearly even in the US govt

But that there be no questioning no distention just because one feels it is ,motivated by political interests

would have to also cancel his own political interests

I use to have a pal always joke "Give me a Benevolent Dictator Any Day"

Always made me laugh a bit

Israeli governments are always a coalition effort. This sometimes leads to odd, even uncomfortable alliances.

The current government was a fragile construct to begin with, more of question of when it will fall apart rather than if.

That Israeli ministers are notorious for passing vocal criticism on their own governments, fellow ministers and agreed upon

policies is nothing new. It can be said, though, that the current government saw more than the usual fare of this. The thing

is, this sort of conduct went on during earlier days of this government, with even harsher tones and words. It seems that the

main difference was that at the time, the ministers passing criticism on the Prime Minister and government policy were from

the right wing coalition partners. This was even going on during the fighting in Gaza.

This is all about coalition calculations. Netanyahu does not (or did not) dare to take similar action against right wing partners

back then, but had no issues with firing a critical vice-minister from his own party. To make things even funnier - Netanyahu

himself did the very same things when he served as minster previously. A lot of hypocrisy all around, but that's politics.

Backroom talks about possible coalition deals with parties now in opposition were apparently conducted for some time now

by all coalition partners - everyone was shoring up for the day after. Firing the ministers (both heading two of the center

parties) was done shortly after reports of Netanyau achieving a certain understanding with orthodox religious parties.

This is the only supposed "fact" that you have offered and it is complete baloney. The rest has been nothing but baiting and insults.

Please, check your facts before printing such ludicrous statements. The Palestinians have never declared war, Hamas has.

Edited by Ulysses G.

"I will not tolerate ministers attacking government policy from within the government, attacking its leader, motivated by political interests, and being irresponsible at a national level."

But that there be no questioning no distention just because one feels it is ,motivated by political interests

Israeli governments are always a coalition effort. This sometimes leads to odd, even uncomfortable alliances.

The current government was a fragile construct to begin with, more of question of when it will fall apart rather than if.

That Israeli ministers are notorious for passing vocal criticism on their own governments, fellow ministers and agreed upon

policies is nothing new. It can be said, though, that the current government saw more than the usual fare of this. The thing

is, this sort of conduct went on during earlier days of this government, with even harsher tones and words. It seems that the

main difference was that at the time, the ministers passing criticism on the Prime Minister and government policy were from

the right wing coalition partners. This was even going on during the fighting in Gaza.

This is all about coalition calculations. Netanyahu does not (or did not) dare to take similar action against right wing partners

back then, but had no issues with firing a critical vice-minister from his own party. To make things even funnier - Netanyahu

himself did the very same things when he served as minster previously. A lot of hypocrisy all around, but that's politics.

Backroom talks about possible coalition deals with parties now in opposition were apparently conducted for some time now

by all coalition partners - everyone was shoring up for the day after. Firing the ministers (both heading two of the center

parties) was done shortly after reports of Netanyau achieving a certain understanding with orthodox religious parties.

The orthodox religious parties have been and always will be the destroyers of any attempt at a peace deal with the Palestinians.

hopefully they will kick out this nutcase in the next election.

As the saying goes - "careful what you wish for".

Netanyahu is a political survivalist, rather than a "nutcase". As such, given a certain amount of pressure applied, he usually

bends. Ungracefully, but bends all the same.

An election might see someone more zealous, more in possession of a backbone and with even a further right wing leaning.

Or, if by some fluke a center/left wing candidate was to ascend to the Prime Minister position - well, even assuming that there

is a relevant candidate and that he can actually win - what does it mean for the chances of peace with the Palestinians?

When a right wing government goes for a peace deal, it can count on public support from the left, center and parts of the right.

Another candidate will have to rely on center and left support only. Traditionally, this is not quite enough for major decisions.

These elections are a good showcase of Israel's leadership crisis. There are simply no worthwhile candidates, regardless of

their political stance. Under these conditions, Netanyahu may very well be the next Prime Minister, even though he is not

well thought of by many and trusted by less.

• Like 1

May the best mensch win. This is a decision for the Israelis.

Not a single one among them. And that includes the women.

Indeed

According to Leo Rosten, the Yiddish maven and author of The Joys of Yiddish, "mensch" is "someone to admire and emulate, someone of noble character. The key to being 'a real mensch' is nothing less than character, rectitude, dignity, a sense of what is right, responsible, decorous."[2] The term is used as a high compliment, expressing the rarity and value of that individual's qualities.

Wiki

• Like 1

" I see the current leadership as an impediment to a peaceful settlement with the Palestinians".

I totally agree with you. Netanyahu made it perfectly plain when in opposition that when he is elected PM he will never surrender one metre of Israeli land to the Palestinians. In fact, he has taken more land from the Palestinians than any other Israeli PM. One should never forget that the state of Israel exists simply because of a vote taken in the then League of Nations.

Netayahu made, makes and will continue to make many thing perfectly clear - then go and do something contrary. He did say that - he also transferred more land to Palestinian rule later on. He said he wouldn't release terrorists - then exchanged quite a few (to put it mildly) for a kidnapped Israeli soldier.

Even disregarding opposition politicians often making such statements (which they do not need to worry about backing up at the time), Netanyahu is notorious for being a "talker", and not well known for sticking to his words.

May the best mensch win. This is a decision for the Israelis.

Not a single one among them. And that includes the women.

A nice thought but unrealistic at best. I note the New York Jewish lobby is gearing up with donation drives etc. for Netanyahu and anyone who is right of centre. Safe to say they contribute more than anyone to maintaining an opposition to any Palestinian peace deal.

• Like 1

The state of Palastine has as much right to exist as that of Israel

Unfortunately for them, the Palestinians refused their state when offered one, so they have no "right" to anything unless they sign a peace treaty with Israel and negotiate borders as they committed to in the Oslo Accords.

I don't know that refusing to accept the proposal necessarily means they lost their right. Obviously, the contrast between that long standing refusal and the current drive to salvage what they can of it, is there. But then again....didn't Israel always claim that it waits for the day when the Palestinians would accept this?

Not sure if there's even a precedent, as far as the UN goes, of a side not accepting a decision, then re-claiming it as its given right. Probably some differing interpretations on that issue.

"If the Palestinians had not declared war on Israel in the first place, they would not have to worry about the Oslo Accords".

Please, check your facts before printing such ludicrous statements. The Palestinians have never declared war, Hamas has.

The Israeli-Palestinian conflict started with Hamas, then?

Obviously, the contrast between that long standing refusal and the current drive to salvage what they can of it, is there. But then again....didn't Israel always claim that it waits for the day when the Palestinians would accept this?

Not that I know of, but you are more knowledgeable that I am. I got the impression that Israel is waiting for the day when the Palestinians sign a modern peace treaty, not waiting for them to accept the deal that they turned down. I know that no one expects Israel to go back to the lines proposed in 1947/48.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Safe to say they contribute more than anyone to maintaining an opposition to any Palestinian peace deal.

Do you mean anyone besides Hamas? rolleyes.gif

No, unlike others I say what I mean, and I said "...anyone to maintaining an opposition to any Palestinian peace deal". Is that too difficult to understand? I would suggest you make contact with any of the known New York Jewish lobbyists and seek their opinion, for I'm sure they will confirm what I have said. If the money trail to New York was cut off the peace process would be a lot healthier.

Edited by loongdavid
  • Like 2

The orthodox religious parties have been and always will be the destroyers of any attempt at a peace deal with the Palestinians.

Not really.

While the Jewish orthodox religious parties in Israel usually find more common ground with the the right wing parties,

it is the so-called national religious parties which actually represent the extreme right wing. There is even a serious

friction between them, these days. In general, the orthodox parties can be said to be somewhat more flexible when it

comes to these matters, even if their orientation is more to the right.

• Like 1

"If the Palestinians had not declared war on Israel in the first place, they would not have to worry about the Oslo Accords".

The Israeli-Palestinian conflict started with Hamas, then?

How regrettable that once again we see someone who cannot read what is written but wants to read what they would like to think is written. Suggest you re-read previous posts.