Cold Weather and you

FolkGuitar

Five districts in Chiang Mai province have declared 'Disaster Assistance' status due to the unusually cold weather we've had this past week. Several fatalities have been reported in the higher regions where temperatures have dropped to around the freezing point.

Frankly, this is 'my' weather! Cool enough so you can leave the windows open all night and not even need to use the fan! I rode north to Chiang Dao yesterday and confess to being chilled to the bone despite wearing a long-sleeved shirt and jacket over that!. At the market I even bought myself one of those 100-baht microfleece sheet/blankets to keep at the foot of the bed 'just in case.'

Has Chiang Mai's weather changed anything that you do? How is your family responding to it?

zyOmeU.jpg

Edited by FolkGuitar

I hadn't considered this weather unusual. Cold - yes. Certainly it is cooler this time of year.

Temperature Mean Temperature 20 °C - Max Temperature 21 °C 27 °C 31 °C (2006) Min Temperature 19 °C 16 °C 13 °C (2007) Cooling Degree Days 2 Growing Degree Days 17 (Base 50)

I recall many years having declared disaster assistance. I think every year a few organizations collect blankets and warm clothing to distribute to people living in the mountains.

Edited by hml367
  • Like 1

I just returned from Pai, Mae Hong Son Province. The temperature peaked >38C about 3 p.m.afternoon, but plummeted down to ~12C around 4 a.m. early morning.

It's just like being in a temperature cycling chamber. Glad I'm how safe and warm now. LOL

Time to give all these poor families free blankets and stuff again. Like they did last year. To replace the stuff the recipients have since sold.

... or didn't get in the first place because not there were not enough donated.

They are not donated.

They are provided and paid for by the Provincial government.

DDPM handing out blankets to risk groups as mercury falls

BANGKOK, 30 October 2014 (NNT) The Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM) is conducting a campaign to assist people in provinces susceptible to extreme cold weather by supplying them with blankets.

Deputy Director-General of the DDPM Anusorn Kaewkangwan stated that the provincial administrative officials already have records of residents in their respective areas who are considered most vulnerable to cold weather. The records will enable authorities to quickly deliver aid to these groups of people, which include children, the elderly, the disabled and the poor, in times of winter disasters.

In preparation for the peak winter period this year, Mr Anusorn revealed that the DDPM is cooperating with the private sector to release caravans to various areas faced with low temperatures throughout the country, beginning today, in a bid to distribute blankets to those in need.

The Deputy Director-General said early assistance is necessary at the moment, given the situation has not reached the point where disaster emergency can be declared and assistance budgets can be allocated.

According to the Finance Ministry’s regulations, a province can be declared a winter disaster area if the temperature has dropped to below 15 degrees Celsius for three consecutive days. It is only then that a budget of 1 million baht per province can be disbursed from the government’s emergency reserves to help the locals.

Time to give all these poor families free blankets and stuff again. Like they did last year. To replace the stuff the recipients have since sold.

They are not donated.

I see. That probably explains why I never see Blanket/Clothing Donation boxes around Chiang Mai.

Oh wait... I DO see many of them in Chiang Mai. Quite a few of them, actually.

I'm sure the Provincial government does do its part, but so do many of the expat organizations and magazines. Didn't "Good Morning Chiang Mai News" magazine set up a blanket and clothing collection every year too? And "City Life?"

People helping people... I like that!

They are not donated.

I see. That probably explains why I never see Blanket/Clothing Donation boxes around Chiang Mai.

Oh wait... I DO see many of them in Chiang Mai. Quite a few of them, actually.

I'm sure the Provincial government does do its part, but so do many of the expat organizations and magazines. Didn't "Good Morning Chiang Mai News" magazine set up a blanket and clothing collection every year too? And "City Life?"

People helping people... I like that!

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for helping out people in need.

But when you can't help everyone because you have to replace what people have sold, it must be a bit galling.

I see Global House has pre-empted the rush and got in a heap of oil column heaters. ..plus some othet magicoal type ones. First cum I expect.

They also have a boatload of oil type portable radiators at 3k baht a throw.

I think spending half that on another duvet would be a wiser move.

They are not donated.

DDPM handing out blankets to risk groups as mercury falls

BANGKOK, 30 October 2014 (NNT) The Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM) is conducting a campaign to assist people in provinces susceptible to extreme cold weather by supplying them with blankets.

Deputy Director-General of the DDPM Anusorn Kaewkangwan stated that the provincial administrative officials already have records of residents in their respective areas who are considered most vulnerable to cold weather. The records will enable authorities to quickly deliver aid to these groups of people, which include children, the elderly, the disabled and the poor, in times of winter disasters.

In preparation for the peak winter period this year, Mr Anusorn revealed that the DDPM is cooperating with the private sector to release caravans to various areas faced with low temperatures throughout the country, beginning today, in a bid to distribute blankets to those in need.

The Deputy Director-General said early assistance is necessary at the moment, given the situation has not reached the point where disaster emergency can be declared and assistance budgets can be allocated.

According to the Finance Ministry’s regulations, a province can be declared a winter disaster area if the temperature has dropped to below 15 degrees Celsius for three consecutive days. It is only then that a budget of 1 million baht per province can be disbursed from the government’s emergency reserves to help the locals.

It indicated that it was noot doing it alone and these were plans for the future dated October 30 2014 not last year.

Edited by northernjohn

I see Global House has pre-empted the rush and got in a heap of oil column heaters. ..plus some othet magicoal type ones. First cum I expect.

They also have a boatload of oil type portable radiators at 3k baht a throw.

I think spending half that on another duvet would be a wiser move.

Yes I think the column heaters and the oil radiator type you mentioned are probably the same. ..just different terminology?

• Like 1