Phuket bypass traffic hell about to get even worse

webfact

Phuket bypass traffic hell about to get even worse
Tanyaluk Sakoot

1417587070_1-org.jpg
The cross-hatched area is the site of the excavation for the underpass. North-soutth traffic will be unaffected but anything else (red lines) will be a trial.

PHUKET: -- If you thought the traffic at the Samkong intersection on the bypass road was bad, wait till Saturday (December 6). It’s about to get a lot worse.

Saturday, at one minute past midnight, is when the road will be closed to allow the underpass contractor to dig the big hole across the junction from north to south, blocking all traffic from crossing the intersection from east to west and vice-versa.

The work will take up to three months, Project Engineer Chalermpol Wongkiattikun from the Department of Highways told The Phuket News this morning.

“Actually, I think, we will finish before March 1. But I have given that as the finish date just in case [there are holdups].”

He explained that the big trench across the intersection will mean it will be impossible to go straight through the intersection from Samkong (Yoawarat Rd) to Kathu (Phra Phuket Keaw Rd) and vice-versa.

It will also be impossible for traffic from Kathu to turn south or go straight on. Instead, drivers will have to go north to the Thanachart Bank, make a U-turn and come back to the lights.

Similarly, it will be impossible for traffic from Samkong to turn right or go straight on; drivers will have to go left, to the U-turn at the International Hospital, then go back to the lights.

Traffic from the north wanting to go to Kathu and traffic from the south wanting to go to Phuket Town will also have to go through the lights, do a U-turn and come back.

Mr Chalermpol added, “We have already had talks with the police. We will set up route maps and signs so that peple are well informed.”

Phuket Town Police Superintendent Sermphan Sirikong told The Phuket News, “We already know about this and the superintendent of traffic will talk with the construction people before they close the road.

“We have a plan to organise police to direct the traffic efficiently.”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-bypass-traffic-hell-about-to-get-even-worse-49955.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-12-03

Can an engineer tell us why they never considered fly-overs? They are not more expensive surely?

because they make too much sense

i'm really glad i never need to go north of home pro/villa market any more

Edited by stevehaigh

Think yourselves lucky Phuket - they will be starting the tunnel in Pattaya soon and that will take 2 or 3 years (if ever really finished) and that will be traffic murder sad.png

If i get finished would one be game /save to drive trough the tunnel? unsure.png.pagespeed.ce.E7Vo3qsmeCQhPTdy

Just in time for the high season.

It doesn't matter much as tourists seldom travel to that side of Phuket.

It's much worse for the locals and us expats, not to mention all the transports coming in to Phuket, I guess they will go straight in to Phuket town instead of the bypass Rd.

That will cause even worse traffic jams in Phuket town.

I just wonder how much Central festival have lost in revenues, not to mention all the other businesses along bypass up to central festival.

Can an engineer tell us why they never considered fly-overs? They are not more expensive surely?

because they make too much sense

i'm really glad i never need to go north of home pro/villa market any more

Your (and mine) turn will come, the last I heard they are going to do the same there and get rid of the roundabout, because Thais don't know what to do at it.....

sad.png

• Like 1

according to Alastar at the Phuket News they had a vote for the locals to decide what to do and people who don't understand traffic decided for all of to have underpasses instead of over passes that could have been built in a heart beat thus the engineers listened to local idiots instead of their training

according to Alastar at the Phuket News they had a vote for the locals to decide what to do and people who don't understand traffic decided for all of to have underpasses instead of over passes that could have been built in a heart beat thus the engineers listened to local idiots instead of their training

Yes, everybody has something to say about everything these days, whether they know what they're talking about or not.

Just look at TVF :)

• Like 1

I'd like to hear an answer to this also.

I'm just Joe Public but it seems to me that they could put up flyovers with less (or at most equal) disruption to traffic and then when ready simply open the on/off ramps when finished.

The elevated tollways in BKK seem to work pretty well so go the "whole hog" and put up a flyover somewhere near Boat Lagoon and with on/off at both Samkong and just south of Central, limit access to only 4 wheeled vehicles and you'd split the slow moving and localised traffic off onto the ground and everybody else would just, well, fly over as it were.

Oh well...

I was wondering the same thing while sitting in traffic just north of the Samkong intersection today.

What's not clear to me, is how anyone will be able to make the required U-Turns in the new configuration. Keep in mind that both the north and southbound traffic is backed up for hundreds of meters from the intersection at many times of the day. How will one be able to make the U-Turn into the north or southbound lanes that are already choked with traffic at a standstill?

• Like 2

I was wondering the same thing while sitting in traffic just north of the Samkong intersection today.

What's not clear to me, is how anyone will be able to make the required U-Turns in the new configuration. Keep in mind that both the north and southbound traffic is backed up for hundreds of meters from the intersection at many times of the day. How will one be able to make the U-Turn into the north or southbound lanes that are already choked with traffic at a standstill?

Heh - they could build an underpass to get around the problems caused by building the underpass!

Underpass 2: Traffic Boogaloo!

• Like 1