9 y/o girl drives herself to school

seajae

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She told the police and media she had driven the return trip to and from Surathani to Phuket !

When apprehended by police and told she could not drive until she gained her licence when she was old enough, she had great difficulty understanding (as did Papa) and burst into many tears.

• Like 1

Probably not the smartest thing to do on public roads. Reminds me of the Russian pilot who thought it would be a good idea to put his son in his seat and no one realised the auto pilot was actually off. The black box was the only thing left to tell that story.

• Like 1

50 years ago in Australia most country kids were behind the wheel at that age and handling vehicles fairly competently. From what I hear it was much the same in the US. Difference is she drove real slow compared to the Aussie kids.

Times change and what is considered right changes too.

Peopel like to make out here is 50 years behind the times. Well let it be.

True. When I came here I would have been outraged, now I am not. I let my 12 year old drive my car around where I live. By the time I buy her a car at 16 she will have had a head start. She look more like 16 anyway now.

I started learning to drive at 17 and always had a few beers first and the instructor said I was so good I didn't need the 20 recommended lessons so I did the test after 10 and passed after drinking 2 pints of export and a double vodka and eating a pack of extra strong mints.

Edited by Neeranam

Speechless! She's not even wearing a seatbelt - and if there is a collision, think what the airbag would do :/

Her Dad is simply not a Father, IMHO.

I try not to be a Thai basher, but when brain dead parents like this one, and the ones who give the keys of their motorcycles to their underage children, it is very hard. It is not uncommon, the roads around my village are full of low mentality parents's offspring riding M/Cs.

The mentality seems to be "it does not matter if our kids get killed, we will just go to bed and make another one".

• Like 2

These people are not taught responsibility. It's not in their genes. This guy should go to jail for child endangerment. Not to mention the welfare of the motoring public. Insane!

That`s rather a racist and Thai bashing comment, don`t you think?

Typical racist who considers all other races as having certain traits. Are you actually saying that there are no responsible Thais? I suppose you regard yourself due to your race as being a model of responsibility and common sense. Well, judging by your post, you`re not, trust me on this one.

There are responsible Thais Beetlejuice, but they are in the minority. If you think I'm wrong, just watch what goes on at Songcran.

Never a day passes in Thailand where i dont see someone driving on the road in such an insane and utterly inconsiderate way that I pray with all my heart that they will die in an accident in front of my eyes.

Sadly I iwsh the same fate for this father....if the accident involved his daughter then so be it.

I agree with your post apart from the bit about the daughter, she did not ask to be an offspring of such a low mentality nutcase.

She has no spatial awareness, she cant even see out the rear vision mirror and never saw her look at side mirrors.

I cant believe any father would be this stupid, and any poster would condone these actions.

Any poster???? There is one who condones it. He knows who he is, his avatar tells you what country he MAY be from.

The father deserves a good beating he put his daughter's life in danger every single time she drove that car and everyone else on the road in danger as well. It is a miracle that she did not kill herself or someone else/

Apart from being a young girl driving a car....how exactly is everyone's life in danger? She appeared to be driving rather slowly and safely without any obvious impairment. Cast off the nanny nightie for a moment!

Sure she was hugging the steering wheel but so what?

I've seen many oldies (and I guess I can include the age group of some members here) driving in the same manner while looking through glasses that resemble the bottoms of beer bottles. All legal though...they have a license!!

Don't assume anything about the young lady...her dad may have been teaching her to drive since she was three. I did with my kids...not on the road at three obviously but in a paddock/field.

The father of a nine-year-old girl video-taped driving a car to school in Surat Thani province was fined for a traffic violation on Thursday and is facing another, more serious charge, police said.

The father faces another more serious charge of violating the Child Protection Act as he allowed a child to engage in inappropriate and risky behaviour.

Seriously??? There IS a child protection act in Thailand!

Crazy...all the kids in the village are running about on bikes at nine. My daughters 12 and desperate to drive but I wont allow it.

Why not ..I got a motorbike when I was young. So did my mates

Got the scars to prove it too.

No big deal...just part of growing up. I reckon it made me a better driver too later in life.

Nobody died....don't let them off the village roads though thumbsup.gif

You'd rather them at home playing Grand Theft Auto 5/6/7? or god forbid get Line or watch TV?

While I can never condone this, I was quite a competent driver at that age. My father taught me to ride motorbikes from about 7, and drive cars (ex police pursuit-trained driver) initially sitting on his lap steering and changing gear, and then full control once I could reach the peddles [safely]!

The difference was he'd never have me driving on public roads, in traffic.

{edited to add the word "safely"!} blink.png

Edited by sabai-dee-man

Never a day passes in Thailand where i dont see someone driving on the road in such an insane and utterly inconsiderate way that I pray with all my heart that they will die in an accident in front of my eyes.

Sadly I iwsh the same fate for this father....if the accident involved his daughter then so be it.

I agree with your post apart from the bit about the daughter, she did not ask to be an offspring of such a low mentality nutcase.

You are right but she will grow up thinking she owes her parents for bringing her into this world and send them money back from the bar.....

Sick isn't it

• Like 2

50 years ago in Australia most country kids were behind the wheel at that age and handling vehicles fairly competently. From what I hear it was much the same in the US. Difference is she drove real slow compared to the Aussie kids.

True. When I came here I would have been outraged, now I am not. I let my 12 year old drive my car around where I live. By the time I buy her a car at 16 she will have had a head start. She look more like 16 anyway now.

I started learning to drive at 17 and always had a few beers first and the instructor said I was so good I didn't need the 20 recommended lessons so I did the test after 10 and passed after drinking 2 pints of export and a double vodka and eating a pack of extra strong mints.

definitely see where the lack of morals and not knowing right from wrong comes from. Great way to show everyone exactly how not to act as a parent, drinking to drive to get your licence, you really must have been a drop kick and just never learnt any better and now want to teach your kids how to be irresponsible as well.

• Like 1

definitely see where the lack of morals and not knowing right from wrong comes from. Great way to show everyone exactly how not to act as a parent, drinking to drive to get your licence, you really must have been a drop kick and just never learnt any better and now want to teach your kids how to be irresponsible as well.

I don't like the way you insult all Thai people and I don't like the way you insult me. I've a good mind to report you.I am an excellent driver and never drunk and drove in the last 20 years in Thailand - can you say you've never had a drink and driven here? If you can't you're a hypocrite,

I bet people in your country would do a lot worse if they could get away with it. Thailand is the land of the free - you can't live here because you like some of the freedoms then complain about others' freedom.

Nothing wrong with my morals grandpa . The roads around my house are very quiet and nothing dangerous about my kid driving when I am with her.

I don't like the way you insult all Thai people and I don't like the way you insult me. I've a good mind to report you.I am an excellent driver and never drunk and drove in the last 20 years in Thailand - can you say you've never had a drink and driven here? If you can't you're a hypocrite,

I bet people in your country would do a lot worse if they could get away with it. Thailand is the land of the free - you can't live here because you like some of the freedoms then complain about others' freedom.

Nothing wrong with my morals grandpa . The roads around my house are very quiet and nothing dangerous about my kid driving when I am with her.

If that is me you are talking about seajay but if it was I think I deserve an apology if it was not you need a lesson in quoting and i still deserve an apology which if it comes may stop me reporting you.

• Like 1