9 y/o girl drives herself to school

seajae

This is how we do it in Thailand. Better a 9 year old driving a car than a big motorbike? Good for her , I think the parents are proud of her. Now if anything happens on the road she would not be able to react in time and could end up dead or killing others. But life goes on if karma allows it. Don't worry to much.

Edited by balo

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

50 years ago in Australia most country kids were behind the wheel at that age and handling vehicles fairly competently. From what I hear it was much the same in the US. Difference is she drove real slow compared to the Aussie kids.

Times change and what is considered right changes too.

Peopel like to make out here is 50 years behind the times. Well let it be.

True. When I came here I would have been outraged, now I am not. I let my 12 year old drive my car around where I live. By the time I buy her a car at 16 she will have had a head start. She look more like 16 anyway now.

I started learning to drive at 17 and always had a few beers first and the instructor said I was so good I didn't need the 20 recommended lessons so I did the test after 10 and passed after drinking 2 pints of export and a double vodka and eating a pack of extra strong mints.

definitely see where the lack of morals and not knowing right from wrong comes from. Great way to show everyone exactly how not to act as a parent, drinking to drive to get your licence, you really must have been a drop kick and just never learnt any better and now want to teach your kids how to be irresponsible as well.

I don't like the way you insult all Thai people and I don't like the way you insult me. I've a good mind to report you.I am an excellent driver and never drunk and drove in the last 20 years in Thailand - can you say you've never had a drink and driven here? If you can't you're a hypocrite,

I bet people in your country would do a lot worse if they could get away with it. Thailand is the land of the free - you can't live here because you like some of the freedoms then complain about others' freedom.

Nothing wrong with my morals grandpa . The roads around my house are very quiet and nothing dangerous about my kid driving when I am with her.

Land of the freecheesy.gif

No nine-year-old should be driving on a public road. That being said, from what I saw in the video, I'd feel much safer (as a passenger) with her driving than 95% of the adult Thai taxi drivers with whom I've had the pleasure to survive rides.

Edited by cruisemonkey

I try not to be a Thai basher, but when brain dead parents like this one, and the ones who give the keys of their motorcycles to their underage children, it is very hard. It is not uncommon, the roads around my village are full of low mentality parents's offspring riding M/Cs.

The mentality seems to be "it does not matter if our kids get killed, we will just go to bed and make another one".

Hmm.....i knew you would comment on this thread......your last sentence......priceless....

• Like 1

Thats terrible, she could get much closer to the vehicle in front, the Father should be castrated for not telling her, also way too much lane control and she needs a mobile phone on one ear at least.

You forgot the TV on the front dash is a must have also.

I began driving at 6.

Shortly after, it was tractors and trucks helping Dad.

Some of that driving was on public roads.

Also, no-one beat me on a racetrack, even 3 months ago.

Was my Dad irresponsible? No.

That's the way it was in the 70's.

I bet that girl is quite an astute driver. More alert and perhaps more conservative than other road users.

Edited by Blackfox
  • Like 2

I began driving at 6.

I bet that girl is quite an astute driver. More alert and perhaps more conservative than other road users.

Another idiot that we have to contend with in life Edited by 2fishin2
  • Like 1

I've read that an 8 year old child doesn't have the greatest vision.

For instance, they can't really see objects coming toward them, like a solid object like a car.

The can see something like a dog running at them, because the hair and tail and ears are flopping around.

So, they may not see a car coming at them at that age.

I've read that an 8 year old child doesn't have the greatest vision.

For instance, they can't really see objects coming toward them, like a solid object like a car.

The can see something like a dog running at them, because the hair and tail and ears are flopping around.

So, they may not see a car coming at them at that age.

Have you never seen an 8 yo playing grand theft auto?facepalm.gifwhistling.gif

• Like 1

Sums up much that is wrong with people here- irresponsible, selfish, thoughtless regarding others safety and laughing at the law. oh it'd ok is as she has not had an accident yet, so when she does it will be all wrong? Coming home last night along a quiet well lit stretch of straight road with no side roads- another idiot bike rider stretched out on the road getting emergency medical aid. Another one died in about the same place a few months ago, no helmet of course, guess he thought never having had an accident he did not need one.

There is stupidity all over the place.

There are stories of kids at 6 years old driving themselves to school on farms in America - at least in the past. It happened.

It's probably not a good idea, though.

Edited by kungpao

Wrong on so many levels that it is absurd. Underage, no license, no insurance, no seat belt, air bag inflation could kill her.

Her father should be prosecuted for endangerment to both his daughter and to the public.Police should have put a stop to this along with the school officials. Truly this is Thailand in a nutshell.

Can't see the problem here. She did a fine job.

Maybe she is 9 but her brain is definitely equipped more with logic then 17 in OZ...

I would be rather her passenger then OZ much older with a licence.

not to mention some oldies who never should be allowed to drive anything 555

Edited by gigman

I think many of those who are so concerned who are writing very angry style about father and 9 years old girl driving a car should cool down a little.

I still remember those who had same feeling toward woman driving in western world in long past...

I do not say it is ok in this case but to be honest ...why not???

Open your mind and eyes..

I can see young people as 10 years old so brilliant in mathematics ....we grown up could not even dare to compete. ...55

Our human generation and abilities are changing ... (did you see 10 years old ones ..performing in front of tv cameras with confidence 30 years ago.???)

Will you be so against seeing same girl driving a scooter. ..???..probably not because they are everywhere in Asia even younger!!! and somehow the is no such harsh opinion..

Asian are " born to drive anything they can ...

This is they life and necessity of everyday of they life....and they manage with it well if you compare the space and quantity of drivers in Bkk and Brisbane..

In Bkk somehow they manage with huge amount of drivers in hardest traffic...

just Bkk center have 7 milions people compare to Brisbane 1 milion. .????

They have big moving traffic and everybody is trying his best to dissolve it but in Brisbane ...we are standing still because we are doing everything by the rules ....but no logic.

I just wander what kind of mess could be in Brisbane if we have 2 milions people...not 7 like Bkk.

My motto is: don't judge because of someone's age...

Use a brain not the rules..

Rules are written very often by those without much of it..

life is cruel but beautiful

• Like 2

I began driving at 6.

I agree but this topic is a great way fr those foreigners who are unhappy with themselves not integrating into Thai society so lash out at anything that is different to their culture.

Thailand is a developing country, 30-50 years behind our countries. Just because we sussed things out doesn't mean the rest of the world has to follow immediately.

50 years ago my father used to drink and drive, and many others did - no seatbelts. In the USA they still had slavery. Black people were segregated, couldn't vote etc.

Thai people want freedom - that's what Thailand means. I love freedom - today, I went down the wrong side of a main road for 500m to avoid a queue and no one gave a sh1t.

I'm going out on my motorbike this afternoon with my 2 daughters fishing. I'm not going to make them wear helmets.

The West has gone crazy - I was stopped by a policeman in Melbourne last year for not wearing a helmet ! - I was on a bloody cycle lane along the beach. I was fined for parking on a quiet road because I was facing the wrong direction - bullsh1t. Give me lawlessness any day.

Some here go on about Thais having no morals/values - rubbish, they have a lot more than USA for example. They have real faith in karma, "sing suk sid", afterlife. How many american claim to believe in God but are taking prozac and scared to leave their houses.

• Like 1