Parent Dislogue #4

thaibebop

It seems that today we have drugs for every ache and pain we are ever going to have in our lives. It seems many are made for children as well. It seems also that we are very quick to take a pill to help ease the pain. When we get sick, headache, whatever.

So, what are good drug taking habits to teach your children? Sometimes these drugs really help but should we be running to them every time, is that something our kids should be taught?

Do you trust the labels on these drugs? Sometimes the amounts seems pretty high. Sometimes I wonder why the doctors are always giving them out. How much do you trust alternative methods?

Alternative methods of healing (herbal, accupunture, etc) should be approached with caution and only undertaken after evaluation by a medical professional. Over the counter meds for typical aches and pains should only be taken when necessary and not every single time one experiences discomfort as this can lead to dependence. Also, the body can build up a tolerance which may require the person to take more and more of the pills to achieve the same effect (just like with illegal drugs). Do some research on home remedies which may be much cheaper and not have an harmful, long term effects. Here's an example: A popular medicine for upset stomach is Pepto Bismol. Rather than taking this stuff every time you feal nauseous, try some Coke or Pepsi along with saltine crackers (NOT the buttery kind...just plain saltines)....the crackers and the syrup in the cola has a soothing effect on the stomach.

Alternative methods of healing (herbal, accupunture, etc) should be approached with caution and only undertaken after evaluation by a medical professional. Over the counter meds for typical aches and pains should only be taken when necessary and not every single time one experiences discomfort as this can lead to dependence. Also, the body can build up a tolerance which may require the person to take more and more of the pills to achieve the same effect (just like with illegal drugs). Do some research on home remedies which may be much cheaper and not have an harmful, long term effects. Here's an example: A popular medicine for upset stomach is Pepto Bismol. Rather than taking this stuff every time you feal nauseous, try some Coke or Pepsi along with saltine crackers (NOT the buttery kind...just plain saltines)....the crackers and the syrup in the cola has a soothing effect on the stomach.

7-up or Sprite would be better. Yes, I have my views on drugs. I know people who strong arm their doctors to give them anti-botics (sp?) when their child's sickness is virual. So, I think I should be more careful about what I give and why.