What Are His Chances?

RustBucket

Well its 2pm so hes either out celebrating or too embarrassed to admit defeat on fbook?

The OP wrote,{ I don't see any value in having his details posted here}. Gee wonder why anything is posted here??? Who cares! If he had his ducks lined up in order he will fair well. Document document document.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I don't want to be negative with the Thai legal system. Let us think they are fair, then what is the chance that he legally get what it is legally hers? He is already a looser and he does not know himself. Let us say he get some percentage of what he has given back from the girl, so what? You were so stupid enough to put everything in her name. It will be interesting to see what would be the result and I hope you will let us know.

I am married to a Thai and have been for 3 years now.

I made sure I lived here for 2 years before marrying her, just to make sure I knew all about her, and even though I have the money in my UK bank, I have never brought more than a few hundred thousand baht here at any one time. I have my own Thai bank account and the money is in there. She has an ATM card, but if she were to dump me and systematically attempt to empty the account, i would have the card cancelled and the most she could get is 20K.

I have also bought the house on a 30 year mortgage even though I can buy it outright, I feel safer on a mortgage, as well as the car I have got it over 7 year loan...

So if she dumped me, she is welcome to the house and car and all the future payments that go along with it.

Those who buy houses and cars outright are playing a dangerous game.

I totally trust my wife, but nobody knows what is in the future.

I sincerely hope that you have included her, as a beneficiary, in your written and VALID in both countries, last will. If I was her, I would not want to be left on top of unpaid bills. At least she already spent five years of her declining beauty in the arms of such a distrusting husband. At some point of her life it will be impossible to catch another good guy.

But each to it's own

Thai law is a bit different. If a Farang is legally married to a Thai woman, and he dies in Thailand, she is legally entitled to 50% of his entire estate regardless of his will. This is something that not many guys know, and they assume their will is the final say. That only applies if you die outside Thailand. Die here, and Thai law applies and it is 50% no matter what the will says. So, if he stays and dies here, she will be okay. Otherwise, his will should address the issue.

Face value re: expected outcome is he should write-off everything.

With that being said, I have a Thai wife of 5-years (married in both Thailand and USA) for which all have been in the USA. My wife is 35 and I am 53 years old. I will retire in 2-years when we will move back to Thailand. My intensions are to buy a house, car,...in her Thai name when we relocate back to Thailand. I'm hoping we can use a Thai bank for partial home & car financing to keep my cash in a US bank as a reserve (or emergency). When relocating to Thailand, I will get a 1-year VISA and apply for a non-immigrant retirement extension, when able. I say this as our marriage is the second marriage for us both and we have excellent communications on everything. Neither of us drink and we enjoy a lot of similar activities in common.

With the above scenario, neither of us are blind. I'm sure she will be happy for our house, car,... to be in her name in the event something happens to me or our marriage. And I want to shelter or control our finances to keep our money in check. At the end of the day if our relationship (marriage) goes sour we can both walk away. If that happened I would not expect to get a penny of our Thai investments from her.

As a good broker will advise a client on their financial portfolio, "don't put all your eggs in one basket". Make sure if the relationship goes sour you have a back-up plan.

Think about the financial worst case scenario and then plan for it.

Not a single person who has responded to this thread so far knows what they are talking about.

The fact is that under Thai law if either party to the relationship can prove that the assets used to purchase the property during the relationship were owned by that party prior to the relationship, the courts will rule that the property belongs to that party. This is irrespective of whether the parties were married or living together as boyfriend/girlfriend.

I have been through a similar property dispute here in Thailand. You can research this yourself by looking up Thai marital property law which is part of the Thai civil code. Thailand's courts are as reputable as those in Western countries.

There is no separate law for foreigners in Thailand. The same marital property law applies to everyone. The only caveat is that it is illegal for foreigners to own land in Thailand. But even here, if land is purchased in violation of land law, this does not mean that the foreigner forfeits his rights to recover his investment in the land.

Think about it! If Thai marital property law allowed people to take advantage of one another, no one would get married. Thai marital property law is very fair to both parties. There's just a lot of misinformation and ignorance amongst the ex-patriate community about how it works.

Your response keeps referencing Thai marital law which, in this case, is irrelevant. But what you said in your first paragraph about property is true. The chances of actually getting property back after a court ruling is low unless the court forces her to sell. I have "won" judgements in court for property disputes and all I got was a court order. It was then up to me to actually get my property or payment. The lawyer can send letters, but those just get ignored. When you go to the local (where the property is) police, they ask for a payment before they will lift a finger. Even though you have a legal court order. If the property is valuable, the payment is higher. Even then the police will only make minimum effort.

In the end, with property disputes, chances are all you will have in your hand is a court order that you can frame for your wall.

Not a single person who has responded to this thread so far knows what they are talking about.

The fact is that under Thai law if either party to the relationship can prove that the assets used to purchase the property during the relationship were owned by that party prior to the relationship, the courts will rule that the property belongs to that party. This is irrespective of whether the parties were married or living together as boyfriend/girlfriend.

I have been through a similar property dispute here in Thailand. You can research this yourself by looking up Thai marital property law which is part of the Thai civil code. Thailand's courts are as reputable as those in Western countries.

There is no separate law for foreigners in Thailand. The same marital property law applies to everyone. The only caveat is that it is illegal for foreigners to own land in Thailand. But even here, if land is purchased in violation of land law, this does not mean that the foreigner forfeits his rights to recover his investment in the land.

Think about it! If Thai marital property law allowed people to take advantage of one another, no one would get married. Thai marital property law is very fair to both parties. There's just a lot of misinformation and ignorance amongst the ex-patriate community about how it works.

Your response keeps referencing Thai marital law which, in this case, is irrelevant. But what you said in your first paragraph about property is true. The chances of actually getting property back after a court ruling is low unless the court forces her to sell. I have "won" judgements in court for property disputes and all I got was a court order. It was then up to me to actually get my property or payment. The lawyer can send letters, but those just get ignored. When you go to the local (where the property is) police, they ask for a payment before they will lift a finger. Even though you have a legal court order. If the property is valuable, the payment is higher. Even then the police will only make minimum effort.

In the end, with property disputes, chances are all you will have in your hand is a court order that you can frame for your wall.

If you look back at the early pages of this thread, many posters suggested that the courts would automatically side with the Thai national against the foreigner in a property dispute. My post addressed how I thought the courts would handle this situation. Thai marital law applies both to married couples and people living together as husband and wife.

But I completely agree with your comments that winning a decision in court can be a hollow victory, and actually forcing someone to return property can be difficult, and that when it involves land, the difficulty can increase exponentially.

"A fool and his money are soon parted"

"There is no fool...like an old fool"

Don't fool around with a girl half your age...then cry foul...when she takes your money and runs...

1. Do not regret growing older it is a priviledge denied to ignorant youth (Unknown)

2. Youth is a disease we all recover from. Dorothy Fultheim

3.Youth is wasted on the young Oscar Wilde

4.You are young only once,but you can stay immature indefininately Ogden Nash

• Like 2

offtopic.gif

There's just a lot of misinformation and ignorance amongst the ex-patriate community about how it works.

After following the TV forums for a few weeks now it does seem to be the case that thankfully whilst there are a few extremely knowledgeable members posting, the vast majority seem to be made up of armchair detectives, wannabee lawyers, bigots, xenophobes, sexists, racists and grumpy old men.

If these people are all actually living in Thailand as ex-pats, I'm beginning to undertsand why so many Thais tend to inwardly regard foreigners with contempt - even if most are far too polite to outwardly show it.

And you contribution to the discussion is..............?

Den

I understood his contribution perfectly - it was one of the best on here ! Many, especially the mods, should take it in !

The majority of Thai women are met guess where ? The majority of foreigner men are drinking what at that location daily ? The majority of foreign men can not speak a word of Thai. A perfect formula for doom . Yet 99.999 perfect of foreign men continue to do the same thing over and over and over again. Proves that the Thais are correct. Farang is an idiot.

With that being said, I have a Thai wife of 5-years (married in both Thailand and USA) for which all have been in the USA. My wife is 35 and I am 53 years old. I will retire in 2-years when we will move back to Thailand. My intensions are to buy a house, car,...in her Thai name when we relocate back to Thailand. I'm hoping we can use a Thai bank for partial home & car financing to keep my cash in a US bank as a reserve (or emergency). When relocating to Thailand, I will get a 1-year VISA and apply for a non-immigrant retirement extension, when able. I say this as our marriage is the second marriage for us both and we have excellent communications on everything. Neither of us drink and we enjoy a lot of similar activities in common.

With the above scenario, neither of us are blind. I'm sure she will be happy for our house, car,... to be in her name in the event something happens to me or our marriage. And I want to shelter or control our finances to keep our money in check. At the end of the day if our relationship (marriage) goes sour we can both walk away. If that happened I would not expect to get a penny of our Thai investments from her.

As a good broker will advise a client on their financial portfolio, "don't put all your eggs in one basket". Make sure if the relationship goes sour you have a back-up plan.

' Neither of us drink '

that's where it's all gone wrong .....burp.gifdrunk.gif

"neither of us drink " Much smarter than the average foreigner. Gee maybe your brain works and you likely did not meet her in a bar or massage shop. How rare.

' Neither of us drink '

that's where it's all gone wrong .....burp.gifdrunk.gif

I am starting to realize how naive, and lucky I am; or maybe the old "gut feeling" kicked in.

I married my partner on the spot, put everything in both names, and let her know she is better of if I am dead (accidentally).

That was 9 years ago, and I am still here.

All good........

only a matter of time!!!!!!!!!!!!

And just where did you meet your lovely wife ? Did you ever make an attempt to learn Thai ? Be honest.

I am starting to realize how naive, and lucky I am; or maybe the old "gut feeling" kicked in.
I married my partner on the spot, put everything in both names, and let her know she is better of if I am dead (accidentally).
All good........

Some people should never be trusted with money.

No wonder Thais think farang are stupid

We are often, just to trusting. blink.png

My Thai EX Gf from 14 years, one son together, promised me everything,

that she will give me some money, when I was in great need, out of a planned land and house sale

and that she can be trusted,

that she will keep her word, after I cancel my long lease contract. So, allowing her to make the sale.

(Still hear the Thai Land office official ask me two time,

=Do you know what your are doing and signing?!= rolleyes.gif

Instead, of keeping her word, she, lied regarding the time frame of the deal and the sum she got,

sold only the land, kept the house, rent it to a family member and on top of that, cheated-embezzled me also regarding our old family car. (In her name) Also against all promises!

But beforehand, she had let me invest 60.000.- Baht in the old vehicle,

BIG service, new tires and a partial paint job. sad.png

Not enough, after she had all under control, she threw me out of the house in a bad manner, during that visit, with 10 % of the money she owed me and only a small part of what was agreed, I should get.

I have still her Promissory notes, will use them maybe, when I can spare money for a lawyer. whistling.gif

I am truly sorry to hear about your experience. Yes, I agree, there is also the trust factor. I apologize also for being more than a little callous. Experience has taught me I should have known better.

Although yours is a different scenario from the OP, unfortunately it is not uncommon. It was only because of my cautious nature that I didn't get trapped. After 2 years of trying she gave up and married another farang a few months later.

A friend of mine lost everything he had worked for, she rung him dry. The bitch was even charging him rent to stay in the house he bought, until she kicked him out and sold it.

The female praying mantis is the epitome of the loving, caring devoted wife, when compared to some of these ladies. Countries should issue travel warnings about them.

Regards G

• Like 2

All good........

Oh my god. yes, you are right. I am doomed.

When I am dead my wife and kids get everything.

Damn, why didnt I think of that.

so far we have over 70 posts, of what realy is half a story, all conjecture on the outcome,what we want to know is , what was/is the final outcome of this case until then, all we have is keyboard warriors, coming up with IFs - BUTS - MAYBEs,

Dream on!!!

Again it all depends were you meet her. Would you seriously think of dating a hooker in your home country?

Some people should never be trusted with money.

No wonder Thais think farang are stupid

We are often, just to trusting. blink.png

My Thai EX Gf from 14 years, one son together, promised me everything,

that she will give me some money, when I was in great need, out of a planned land and house sale

and that she can be trusted,

that she will keep her word, after I cancel my long lease contract. So, allowing her to make the sale.

(Still hear the Thai Land office official ask me two time,

=Do you know what your are doing and signing?!= rolleyes.gif

Instead, of keeping her word, she, lied regarding the time frame of the deal and the sum she got,

sold only the land, kept the house, rent it to a family member and on top of that, cheated-embezzled me also regarding our old family car. (In her name) Also against all promises!

But beforehand, she had let me invest 60.000.- Baht in the old vehicle,

BIG service, new tires and a partial paint job. sad.png

Not enough, after she had all under control, she threw me out of the house in a bad manner, during that visit, with 10 % of the money she owed me and only a small part of what was agreed, I should get.

I have still her Promissory notes, will use them maybe, when I can spare money for a lawyer. whistling.gif

I am truly sorry to hear about your experience. Yes, I agree, there is also the trust factor. I apologize also for being more than a little callous. Experience has taught me I should have known better.

Although yours is a different scenario from the OP, unfortunately it is not uncommon. It was only because of my cautious nature that I didn't get trapped. After 2 years of trying she gave up and married another farang a few months later.

A friend of mine lost everything he had worked for, she rung him dry. The bitch was even charging him rent to stay in the house he bought, until she kicked him out and sold it.

The female praying mantis is the epitome of the loving, caring devoted wife, when compared to some of these ladies. Countries should issue travel warnings about them.

Regards G

Would you seriously think of dating a hooker in your home country?

Yes, I would and did for about 3 month, when I was in my mid 20is a beautiful Stripper and Hooker in my small home towns only Red light Bar, was a nice and positive experience.

She never wanted money, cried when I tried to give her after the first night, earned enough herself.

I caught her in a sorry mood, as she was in a struggle with her pimp? She needed some comfort, I provided,

she had even breakfasts with my Mama together.

Mama meant, Sex workers can be the loveliest women if they really fall in love with someone. wink.png

My (Ex) Gf, at that time, meant, "You proud to f..k a whore?"

I said no, but I proud, I can have sex with a whore, for free, without paying money! tongue.png

The relationship ended, from more reasons,

her "pimp" or/and (Ex) boyfriend came from far and tried to get her back, her contract in that bar ended

and because her home province was 750 km away.

On a business trip to her province, some years later, I could get hold of her again for a "special" night in heaven, for free and remembering the old times. smile.png

there's more in this story from the OP that he is willing to tell here. He says, he bought the house on mortgage, and he bought the car on mortgage as well. Both in the name of HER.

Can he please explain here, how came he was granted mortgage from a Thai bank ?

Can a foreigner use deposits which he owns ( inside or outside of Thailand) as a guarantee for the issueing bank, and then buy the house & car in HER name ? It SMELLS.

That must have meant she must have had either a lot of money parked on HER account ( in order to be granted able to receive a mortgage from the bank) or other feasible guarantees. Or illegal (proxy!) company ?

In which way this could change the course of a divorce case in front of the court, I have absolutely no idea but we should expect the OP to clarify or leave the thread abandoned

because, if he claimed all that money back out of her account , for himself, after the house and the car was bought, and destroyed the old bankbooks, she has a fair stand as all this is recorded by the bank. However, as one poster already stated, giving her money to buy the house is illegal (proxy!) that would leave him the sole proprietor with a court order to sell and compensate court & state. . .BUT ONLY IF HE ALWAYS ACTED ACCORDING TO THE LAW

all of it being on mortgage, does mean he NEVER gave her any money ?!

gentlemen, this thing smells

Edited by crazygreg44