Im Moving To Chiang Mai

Im 24 and Im from Dallas Texas USA . born and raised here Im half Thai and half white and I was wanting to move to Chaing Mai this summer.

My father is Thai he was born in Chiang mai and my mother is american.

and both of my parents live here in america also.

I was wanting to know what would I have to do to so that I can live in Chiang mai what do I need to do ? apply for a permanent residency or what ?

Ive heard before that if your father is from Thailand you can get a citizenship.

can someone please help me. :o

I'm in the boat as you. I'm also Thai living in the US and currently a US passport holder. I asked about obtaining a dual citizenship at the Thai Embassy and right away I told that a Thai person can have dual citizenship until the age of 20. After that he/she must choose. Since I dont' want to give up my US citizenship I have to go as FARANG.

There is a treaty called Amity that allows US passport holder to own 100% of the entire corporation and by default you will get Non-Immigrant-B and work permit. I think this an awesome deal.

asked about obtaining a dual citizenship at the Thai Embassy and right away I told that a Thai person can have dual citizenship until the age of 20. After that he/she must choose.

Not true.

My wife is 53 and happily travels between Thailand and UK using both passports.

She has never been told to choose.

And my daughter gained dual nationality last year - age 18. Thai Immigration never said she should choose - and she has no intention of doing so!

And my daughter gained dual nationality last year - age 18. Thai Immigration never said she should choose - and she has no intention of doing so!

It is never a problem for girls as they do not have to register for military service. That is where it becomes an issue.

Also my Thai passport expired 20 years ago. When I told the staff that I still have my expired passport, birth certificate and adoption paper with me, I still received the same answer as "I have to choose one or the other but not both".

In the past I also seen Thai men with both passport. However, when I asked them their replies were that they never let their passport expired. They just kept renewing.

Really, I don't see much gain by trying to obtain my Thai citizenship back. As an American sole owner of the corporation, I can easily purchase house with land under the corporation name. As far as VISA and work permit, I can pretty much get it by default as, again the corporation owner.

I guess if you want the dual citizenship bad enought and if you meet the "right people" I'm sure you can work something with them to get it. Legal or not is another story.