Please do your part to stop BKK police from harassing tourists/expats

dluek

If you don't want yourself or other foreign friends/family getting harassed, intimidated and forced to submit to urine samples on footpaths in Bangkok, please help to make sure that the big-wig TAT officials (and/or other people with power/connections in Thailand) are made aware of what's going on. Here are a couple things that you can do to air your dismay at the behavior of police on Sukhumvit and elsewhere in the Big Mango:

Post on the TAT's Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/AmazingThailand?ref=ts

Submit a complaint through the TAT's website: http://www.tourismthailand.org/Send-Complaint

If anyone has any other ideas on how to fight back, please share them here. Let's turn this into an issue for the TAT so that someone with the authority will step in to save Thailand's reputation from further tarnishing. Let's put a stop to this.

If you haven't heard about this yet, read up on it here: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2014/12/04/surge-reported-police-harassment-suggests-campaign-targeting-tourists-expats

• Like 2

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Better idea! Tell everyone in your country Thailand ain't the place to stagger around in a drunken or drugged out haze!

But it is, all the people I know have been doing it for years. been doing it for years, no problem.

• Like 1

Better idea! Tell everyone in your country Thailand ain't the place to stagger around in a drunken or drugged out haze!

Ironically it seems the area - Asok to Thong Lo - is more dangerous in the daytime.

then what about the nightime ? Isn't that when the BIB's are mostly earning their share ?

If this is an isolated case happening only in the Tonglor Police Station Area, call Prayut !!

News flash: they're pulling anyone over for no reason, including those sitting peacefully in taxis. You could be next.

Absolutely. The other day I was sitting near the window of the Au Bon Pain on the corner of Sukhumvit Soi 31 and two cops came (being a disgrace riding pillion on the sidewalk) and started stopping the first the best Westerners that came along. There was nothing dodgy-looking about them. In any case, if they really wanted to do something about drugs, they should raid some clubs.

My problem is I don't trust them AT ALL. So far there doesn't seem to be a problem of cops planting drugs on people, but they certainly have the morals to do just that.

• Like 1

If the police are pulling over foreigners in the area they must have a purpose.

The simple solutions are that tourists and ex-pats carry their passports and driving licenses about with them at all times when they are out should the police ask to see identification and If riding motorbikes, wear helmets otherwise the police are well within their rights to search or detain these people until identifications are confirmed. The police are probably pulling in Thai people as well, we are only getting one side of the story.

Otherwise if the OP does not agree with that, then I suggest that the tourists either don`t visit Thailand or the OP starts a revolution.

Now im no lawyer ,but I think the best way to approach this if you do get pulled over or asked to be searched for no apparent reason is to be polite and co operative and inform the police that you will be recording there search of you on your mobile phone so as to have proof, should you need it in a court of law, i also have a windscreen mounted GOPRO for the car just in case any one on the road wants to try it on, blaming the tourist for an accident he had no involvement with, probably best bit of kit ive bought for Thailand and in my opinion the reason i have been waved on through police checkpoints time and time again, they do not like it if they are being recorded.

In regards to taking video on your phone, im not sure what the Thai law is pertaining to taking video in a public place of police, no doubt theres some permit or other required, ill ask the question in the legal forum and see what they say.

• Like 1

We non native english speakers should spread the news in our own languages, as this kind of events gets very little coverage outside of the english language boards, forums and newsfeeds (same for Koh Tao murders I hate to say).

I sent an e-mail to the TAT branch in my country, and on a local popular travel forum ; more on the list to-morrow.

• Like 1

If the police are pulling over foreigners in the area they must have a purpose.

The simple solutions are that tourists and ex-pats carry their passports and driving licenses about with them at all times when they are out should the police ask to see identification and If riding motorbikes, wear helmets otherwise the police are well within their rights to search or detain these people until identifications are confirmed. The police are probably pulling in Thai people as well, we are only getting one side of the story.

Otherwise if the OP does not agree with that, then I suggest that the tourists either don`t visit Thailand or the OP starts a revolution.

didnt some big wig recently say we DIDNT have to carry original passports?? I never carry mine bugger that I aint gonna lose it or get it wet/mangled

Good memory. I had forgotten, but here it is: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/747736-no-need-to-worry-says-bangkok-immigration-commander/

"Deputy Commander Voravat confirmed that foreign tourists and expats do not need to carry their passports with them at all times."

Edited by mesquite
  • Like 1

<snip>

I also have asked the BIB many times to show me in the Thai highway code book where it says you have to wear a helmet and there is nothing in the book that states this,maybe it is somewhere else and until i find it i will piss then off every time by not wearing one. Little victories are worth enjoying.

Suggest you look at Land Traffic Act BE 2522 (1979) Section 122 Which states motorcycle riders shall wear helmets, fine for not wearing = 500 THB.

The Thong Lo police have a long history of Farang harassment, most evident at the Ekkamai bus terminal over the years but also on the footpaths. Despite years of complaints, they seem beyond control.

Soi Cowboy is within the Thong Lo Police jurisdiction and the fact that it's Go-Go bars operate with impunity is fair indication of their integrity.

• Like 1

We non native english speakers should spread the news in our own languages, as this kind of events gets very little coverage outside of the english language boards, forums and newsfeeds (same for Koh Tao murders I hate to say).

I sent an e-mail to the TAT branch in my country, and on a local popular travel forum ; more on the list to-morrow.

I posted on the Vancouver forum I frequent. 70,000 members will be able to view about "Thainess". It will spread like wild fire to other forums, media, etc.

• Like 1

I also have asked the BIB many times to show me in the Thai highway code book where it says you have to wear a helmet and there is nothing in the book that states this,maybe it is somewhere else and until i find it i will piss then off every time by not wearing one. Little victories are worth enjoying.

I think you are overdue for reading this:-

Thaidriving.pdf

I don't have a facebook account but those who have send the complaints to facebook account csi la

he is Thai residing in the U.S. he will place the concern on his site which is followed by over a million thai's including RTP this would be the quickest way to get the the word out.

Probably works better if someone could do it that writes Thai.

Don't drink a lot --never when driving -or take drugs--but still got shaken down twice on way to Si Saket- in a rental car---one more time on the way back----tourist or not----wanted 400b with paperwork and visit to the local station --or 200b in the hand --and on my way---not much of a choice was there sad.png

They TOLD ME in no uncertain terms I was doing 130/140/50k---strange how I pulled over so easily when flagged down--in truth 80/90k. it does leave a sour taste--getting ripped off for a non-offence bah.gif

Edited by Bucko
  • Like 1

The Thong Lo police have a long history of Farang harassment, most evident at the Ekkamai bus terminal over the years but also on the footpaths. Despite years of complaints, they seem beyond control.

Soi Cowboy is within the Thong Lo Police jurisdiction and the fact that it's Go-Go bars operate with impunity is fair indication of their integrity.

"...and the fact that it's Go-Go bars operate with impunity..."

That would be because the go-go bars are operating legally.

• Like 1

To the non English native speakers, if stopped just speak your own language: Chinese, French, German, Italian, Spanish, etc.

And then call your embassy emergency number

Don't communicate in Thai or English

;-)

• Like 1

I live in the area in question. I've been stopped once in the last couple of years. They were polite and courteous (as I was to them). Asked for my passport, I showed it to them, they sent me on my way with a smile.

I think people are making too big a thing of this.

• Like 2