US Social Security - Does Thailand report my earnings?

I am very thankful to a few people that when I started working they suggested very strongly I put 15% of my salary in a 401 K plan and the company matched 6%.

I am very fortunate and thankful.

When 22 yeas old mist people don't think about getting old and retiring.

I try to pass the same advice to other people now. Thai people don't like to save money. But also difficult on low salary. My Thai friends that save some money usually end up giving it to a family member that never saves money and had an emergency.

I am aware many people retire on limited funds. I know it is difficult.

• Like 1

To save myself from the grief of having to endure the replies of the ignorants, I will give you a straight forward answer.

There is no requirement for any foreign employer to report anything to the US government about your earnings. I personally have 7 1/2 years of working for foreign companies.

Last year, I reported around $200,000 income. I paid around $10,000 in tax. I try not to cheat but it is impossible to keep up with all of the rules. Even tax attorneys have a problem with this. I use Turbo tax.

There are no with holdings and there is no reporting to SS. You will not be credited anything to your SS account which the government now has usurped from you which will mean a lesser amount you will be paid unless you are already at the max they will pay you anyhow.

To save myself from the grief of having to endure the replies of the ignorants, I will give you a straight forward answer.

There is no requirement for any foreign employer to report anything to the US government about your earnings. I personally have 7 1/2 years of working for foreign companies.

Last year, I reported around $200,000 income. I paid around $10,000 in tax. I try not to cheat but it is impossible to keep up with all of the rules. Even tax attorneys have a problem with this. I use Turbo tax.

There are no with holdings and there is no reporting to SS. You will not be credited anything to your SS account which the government now has usurped from you which will mean a lesser amount you will be paid unless you are already at the max they will pay you anyhow.

If you mean there is no requirement for a USA citizen to report anything to the US Government you are 100% wrong. All monies are reportable, some may not be taxable due to such things as Foreign income exclusions, etc. And as others have posted, several programs and agencies do ask if you are earning money

Naturally you have to file taxes.Under FAtCA if you have over $10,000 in A Thailand bank you have to let the IRS know.

And naturally IRS know about the Social Security money.

It's FBAR that has the $10K reporting requirements of foriegn financial assets...that reporting requirement has been around for years...the "individual" must submit that report. FACTA is a different, new US law which when into effect 1 Jul 14 and it deals with "foriegn banks" needing to report bank account amounts for $50k or more of US citizens. You are confusing two completely separate things.

If you mean there is no requirement for a USA citizen to report anything to the US Government you are 100% wrong. All monies are reportable, some may not be taxable due to such things as Foreign income exclusions, etc. And as others have posted, several programs and agencies do ask if you are earning money

All income is to be reported.

If you win money gambling that should be reported (most don't)

They may not know about foreign income but legally it should be reported.

I have been reporting my small Thai income and getting the foreign income exclusion.

Is FICA expecting me to send them money?

All income is to be reported.

If you win money gambling that should be reported (most don't)

They may not know about foreign income but legally it should be reported.

I have been reporting my small Thai income and getting the foreign income exclusion.

Is FICA expecting me to send them money?

You both (Brian P and GK) missed what Gonsalviz said.

He wrote "There is no requirement for any foreign employer to report anything to the US government about your earnings."

You read "employee".

He's right and his opening sentence may have been directed at you.

• Like 1

Maybe off topic but most foreign governments are not going to report your income.

That is different than being legally responsible to report all your income.

I think very few people will report earned income unless the company / country reports. But it is your legal requirement.

Since there is a large foreign tax exclusion I see no reason not to report it. If it reduced my social security then I might think differently.

Interest on bank accounts earned in Thailand is reportable, but on small accounts, Thai banks are not going to inform the US.

Having over $10,000 in foreign banks is reportable but I don't believe the banks or country will report it. That requirement, I believe, is mostly to determine risk of accused criminal of leaving the country. No downside for honest people.

Since California taxes foreign income and IRA conversation to ROTH I am considering other options. Some states don't have tax.

Edited by brianp0803
  • Like 1

Maybe off topic but most foreign governments are not going to report your income.

That is different than being legally responsible to report all your income.

I think very few people will report earned income unless the company / country reports. But it is your legal requirement.

Since there is a large foreign tax exclusion I see no reason not to report it. If it reduced my social security then I might think differently.

Interest on bank accounts earned in Thailand is reportable, but on small accounts, Thai banks are not going to inform the US.

Having over $10,000 in foreign banks is reportable but I don't believe the banks or country will report it. That requirement, I believe, is mostly to determine risk of accused criminal of leaving the country. No downside for honest people.

Since California taxes foreign income and IRA conversation to ROTH I am considering other options. Some states don't have tax.

Thank you for telling us our "legal requirements" and then hypocritically telling us that you might break those laws if following them cost you money!

The rest of your info is just plain wrong. EVERY Thai bank is going to report the interest earned to the US Treasury Dept for accounts opened with a US passport.

But I do agree with you that this is all off-topic.