Are there any mexican restaurants in Pattaya

Me Yank

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Blue Parrot lives on, at Sue's Place.

You wouldn't mistake it for north-of-the-border Mex, let alone real Mex, but I've been eating the huevos rancheros there since it opened and I like 'em. You just have to ask for the 'sawt phet'.

The less said of Tequila Reef the better, though they do nice margaritas.

In Bangkok, La Monita's menu is a bit of a minefield but the best of it is quite nice. And their salsa ranchera is as good as any I've had in Mexico. As for real, i.e. non-gringo Mexican, I haven't kept up with Jorge since he sold Tacos & Salsa, but I'd trust him to do a good job.

Edited by Roota

You wouldn't mistake it for north-of-the-border Mex, let alone real Mex, but I've been eating the huevos rancheros there since it opened and I like 'em.

I remember when The Blue Parrot was THE Mexican restaurant in Thailand and it was actually pretty good for it's time. Of course, there were very few good foreign restaurants of any type back then. Things have improved a lot in that regard.

Is that east PA joint still open?

Why would a Thai lady that in LA learn to cook Mexican food? Color me skeptical.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Around mid of November, I've been to this East Pattaya location. Had beef tacos. Delicious in my opinion.

About the Tiggle Bitties Thai lady: As I said, she is rated good by the Californians, just OK for me, but not really special.

Well, tastes differ.

Edited by kdrayong

You wouldn't mistake it for north-of-the-border Mex, let alone real Mex, but I've been eating the huevos rancheros there since it opened and I like 'em. You just have to ask for the 'sawt phet'.

On my first ever night in Pattaya (88) I had to meet a friend there, so that was where I had my first ever meal in Thailand.

Over the decades, standards went up and down.

Sure, its not the same since it closed, and the menu moved to Sue's, but its still an enjoyable nostalgic meal for me.

The less said of Tequila Reef the better, though they do nice margaritas.

A BIG +1

The Blue Parrot (BP) no longer exists. It is now "Sue's Place (SP)," (or something like that), across from the Viking Bar. I did eat once at the BP (juevos rancheros) and came away sick as a dog! I have no idea about SP. I do know that I am starving for good Mexican food (also Chinese food, a decent hamburger, gyros, Italian food, smoked BBQ, etc., but those are other threads).

The best Mexican I ever had in Thailand was at 'Charlie Browns' near 'Cheap Charlies' soi 11 near Nana BTS. The spicy chicken wings should come with a health warning. The fajitas were divine. Not just the food but the margaritas were strong & authentic tasting. I have spent time in Mexico.

Someone could start out small, say a food cart with superb carnitas tacos priced similar to the shwarmas.

Thats all I need.

attachicon.gifCarnitas.jpg

Its surprising....La Monita knock them out for 135 Baht each I think with guacamole on them.

Serve them without that for 100 Baht and you'd think it would be a winner.

I was in Bangkok this week and tried La Monita.

What a shame they don't a branch in Pattaya.

Very nice Mexican food.

I'd love to see that too.

But maybe they're smart not to expand here.

I can just here the endless groaning about their prices now ...

I'm really not sure there is enough of a market here to support them.

• Like 1

Very nice Mexican food.

Maybe not so much a sustaining market as I see Mexican food in Thailand in a similar way as Indian versus British-Indian when it comes to western palates. As you will probably admit, there's some that like Tex-Mex and there's others that favour CaliMex and despite sharing a lot of similar base ingredients and nomenclature, the style, presentation and tastes can be radically different. One guys awesome burrito can be another guys crappy stuffed tortilla. We have one post extolling Taco Bell which I can only assume is because he misses stucco walls and faux pueblo-style architecture more than anything that TB called enchiladas or chimichangas.

But it does seem a curiously challenging cuisine for the local restaurateurs to embrace, both local and expat. I wonder of what ilk the La Monita menu is?

I can't agree with you. There is acceptable Indian food in Pattaya. Even acceptable to Indians. Imagine how actual Mexicans would feel about the Mexican food in Pattaya. I think some might be brought to tears.

I think the people in Pattaya (mostly Americans and Canadians) that love decent Mexican food would like any decent version of Mexican food, Tex-Mex, Cal-Mex, regional actual Mex, but I wonder if there are enough of them here who are willing to spend regularly for that. To do it right would cost and the customers would have to pay for it. I really wouldn't invest my own money in such a risk.

Yes I understand some other nationalities have traveled in the U.S. and Mexico and developed a palate for decent Mexican food, but how many of them are in Pattaya?

For people who don't know what it is ... how many Iranians are going to care about the quality of the Mexican food or even know the difference (for example)?

Yes there might also be a market for a Taco Bell but people understand that's something different -- FAST FOOD. To me, that's a side issue to the demand that exists for decent Mexican food here. It's also kind of resignation ... accepting probably sensibly that we're not going to see decent Mexican food here, so a Taco Bell would satisfy some craving for some people (not me, but I understand).

From a purely business POV, not caring about the food and pushing the faux "Mexican" stuff like ribs and chicken wings and of course the MARGARITAS makes a heck of a lot more sense for THIS market.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Here's a chicken burrito from Miguel's in Chaing Mai, mentioned earlier in the thread. And the service was very good as well, when I finished my pitcher of strawberry margaritas the waitress asked if I'd like another. The burrito was 170 baht.

post-10753-0-24065000-1417899450_thumb.j

Edited by camble

Randomly stumbled upon tonight.

Mexican Saturday Night Buffet.

Ma Maison Restaurant, Soi 13, Pattaya (off the beach)

With unlimited Sangria (so very Mexican:rolleyes: ) a lot more

Frankly I didn't even bother to look at the buffet. What me jaded?

A friend of mine who likes Mexican food tried this and said it was OK. Personally I dont like Mexican food.

Very nice Mexican food.

It was expensive.

I think the bill was 1500 baht for two fajitas and a couple of fresh juices.

But the fajitas were excellent.

The place was packed and doing a roaring trade and this was a mid week night.