Are there any mexican restaurants in Pattaya

Me Yank

However, my favorite Mexican restaurant is located in the East side. A little away, at the East lakeshore of Lake Maprachan, about in the middle.

I forgot the name, but I guess that there is only one Mexican restaurant out there.

Maybe it's not 100% original Mexican, even though Mexican food is multifarious. Anyway the best place for my palate around here.

I think you are referring to Casa De On. They have another one in Rayong Industrial as well. It is not anything like the Mexican food I have in California, but the quality is good. I am pretty sure they use Thai chilis, so it tastes a lot different.

CC

Jingthing, smokie36 and others

I have no idea about the name of the restaurant. And I'm pleased to second your opinion: Good food, maybe not original Mexican, but good to go there.

Since I'm staying often in Rayong, where do they have another branch? You mentioned the industrial area. Is it Map Ta Phut?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chili Verde would be a hit here with the Thais I would guess. Tender pork chunks simmered in a mild tomatillo/poblano/jalapeno sauce.

I wonder if those items grow here?

attachicon.gifchili verde.jpg

In nothern Thailand, I have seen Thais eat shredded pork with some type of green chile sauce, but I do not think it was based on tomatillo.

I know, for a fact, that you can grow tomatillos here. That is one plant that seems to thrive in Thailand (can't say the same for most Mexican peppers). I do not think anyone has been able to grow poblano peppers here. To me, the poblano is essential as it makes a wonderful sauce.....also used for chile rellenos. Some people near Chiang Mai are growing jalapeno peppers.

Another dish that Asians might like is puerco pibil, which is made with a special seed (annato) that you can find in the Philippines (Filipinos like that spice). I love puerco pibil and have never seen it on a menu at any Mexican restaurant in Asia.

I would think Thais would like stuffed peppers (maybe with cheese and pork). Chiles Rellenos! I once made that but using the large Thai peppers (if only we had poblano). I got Thais to try it, and they loved them.........so.

Fish taco.......probably another dish Thais would eat.

Hope springs eternal! Until then, as long as I am in Pattaya-Jomtien, I will be forced to wish for Taco Bell or make it myself.

some of us do have the green ones , and anaheims and serranos in Korat.

Since New Mex was at one time Mexico, you could say that the Anaheim is Mex?

But it is a cross breed of 2 chiles from Mexico and a local NM chile to give it some

heat.

rice555 from the Mission

post-37242-0-80502900-1418314041_thumb.j

post-37242-0-89522900-1418314111_thumb.j

However, my favorite Mexican restaurant is located in the East side. A little away, at the East lakeshore of Lake Maprachan, about in the middle.

I forgot the name, but I guess that there is only one Mexican restaurant out there.

Maybe it's not 100% original Mexican, even though Mexican food is multifarious. Anyway the best place for my palate around here.

I think you are referring to Casa De On. They have another one in Rayong Industrial as well. It is not anything like the Mexican food I have in California, but the quality is good. I am pretty sure they use Thai chilis, so it tastes a lot different.

CC

Jingthing, smokie36 and others

I have no idea about the name of the restaurant. And I'm pleased to second your opinion: Good food, maybe not original Mexican, but good to go there.

Since I'm staying often in Rayong, where do they have another branch? You mentioned the industrial area. Is it Map Ta Phut?

Hemaraj Industrial Estate Pluak Daeng. Right before the market on the left if almost entering the industrial estate.

Chili Verde would be a hit here with the Thais I would guess. Tender pork chunks simmered in a mild tomatillo/poblano/jalapeno sauce.

In nothern Thailand, I have seen Thais eat shredded pork with some type of green chile sauce, but I do not think it was based on tomatillo.

I know, for a fact, that you can grow tomatillos here. That is one plant that seems to thrive in Thailand (can't say the same for most Mexican peppers). I do not think anyone has been able to grow poblano peppers here. To me, the poblano is essential as it makes a wonderful sauce.....also used for chile rellenos. Some people near Chiang Mai are growing jalapeno peppers.

Another dish that Asians might like is puerco pibil, which is made with a special seed (annato) that you can find in the Philippines (Filipinos like that spice). I love puerco pibil and have never seen it on a menu at any Mexican restaurant in Asia.

I would think Thais would like stuffed peppers (maybe with cheese and pork). Chiles Rellenos! I once made that but using the large Thai peppers (if only we had poblano). I got Thais to try it, and they loved them.........so.

Hope springs eternal! Until then, as long as I am in Pattaya-Jomtien, I will be forced to wish for Taco Bell or make it myself.

But it is a cross breed of 2 chiles from Mexico and a local NM chile to give it some

heat.

rice555 from the Mission

Congratulations! The peppers on the left look like poblano. Organic? I have never seen them in Thailand before, except dying in my front yard garden. Please start a farm and grow tons of them and sell them all over :) Anaheims do not taste/smell the same as poblano, at least to me. I think the poblano is the "Cadillac pepper." I really miss very good chile relleno. And the sauces made from roasted poblano are wonderful. Thanks for the pics.

heat.

rice555 from the Mission

Congratulations! The peppers on the left look like poblano. Organic? I have never seen them in Thailand before, except dying in my front yard garden. Please start a farm and grow tons of them and sell them all over smile.png Anaheims do not taste/smell the same as poblano, at least to me. I think the poblano is the "Cadillac pepper." I really miss very good chile relleno. And the sauces made from roasted poblano are wonderful. Thanks for the pics.

Not to go too far OT, Mike's, the old place, he grew Hydroponic chilies on the roof above the restaurant.

Also, can't confirm, Friendship market at one time had canned poblano's in the 303 or larger can size.

Last Jan. I love rellano's!!!!

rice555

post-37242-0-01039400-1418396774_thumb.j

There really aren't any that will be truly satisfying to people who really know and love Mexican food.

It's a crying shame!

There is a very acceptable Mexican Restaurant on Mabprachan Lake just up from the Fisherman's Rest. It's only a small place but I've found it good.

heat.

rice555 from the Mission

Congratulations! The peppers on the left look like poblano. Organic? I have never seen them in Thailand before, except dying in my front yard garden. Please start a farm and grow tons of them and sell them all over smile.png Anaheims do not taste/smell the same as poblano, at least to me. I think the poblano is the "Cadillac pepper." I really miss very good chile relleno. And the sauces made from roasted poblano are wonderful. Thanks for the pics.

I would love to have a good fish taco. Does TR have on menu?