Thai are friendly and usually well mannered BUT.....

strabel23

There are some differences in understanding, that I think have been discussed here before, but for a recap, here are my two main biggies:

In UK if you flash your lights to someone, it is indicating that you are aware of them and giving way to them to let them out of a side road to the main road. Here is just means "be aware of my presence" so I have no way of indicating courtesy to say "you first", like opening a door for someone.

If I want to turn right, and I use my indicator as such, it seems to mean "okay, overtake me now", so that when I turn right there is someone on my right (usually past the centre line of the road) trying to kill us both. I don't mind what the use of lights are so long as we can all agree on what they mean.

Last accident (someone pulling out in front of me with their car when I was on a bike and I went over the top of the handle bars), luckily was immediately outside of a police box and they saw everything. Claim on their insurance and not mine (though gravel rash leaves it's mark), but all other parties could not be nicer to me after the fact, and the lady that was driving the car even helped me up the steps at the police station because I was incapacitated. Hard to be angry when they play nice, but better if it never happened at all.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find the traffic in Thailand to be extremely chaotic compared to that in my home country. Here traffic laws are more along the lines of polite suggestions.

Here, I spend no time cruising down the road pondering the rest of my day or perhaps the meal I just enjoyed.

Here all my senses must be concentrated on driving. I know, for example, that as I head down a two lane road on my scooter, on-coming traffic will be passing each other with little or no concern nor even any acknowledgement that I am also using the road, coming from the opposite direction. More than once I slowed and headed to the road shoulder to save my old skin and bones.

There is a four lane road close to our house, but that still does not stop that those on-coming drivers from swerving over the painted lane separator, and into my lane to pass. I also know that the outside lanes are prime spots for garbage can placements, and of course nice sleeping areas for the many dogs.

I know, also, that the roads, whether highways or rural roads, will be, by and large, in pretty crappy condition. Even when traveling on highways, I can plan on periodically encountering rough spots that seem to appear out of nowhere. Rural roads are rough with potholes and foliage that wipes out much of each lane and obstructs my vision.

It is a different reality here, and I do my best to adapt, and hopefully bring defensive driving up to a new level to keep me and mine safe.

Now if I could only convince my family members to put on their seatbelt when sitting in the back seat.

My theory is that where you have poor driving you have good food. US, Brittian, Japan and Germany have good driving habits and uninspiring food. Thailand, China, Taiwan, Fraance and even Singapore have poor driving behavior, but fantastic food.

To asnwer your question, they just do not know any better. They have never been shown the correct way.

I disagree...

I'm German, with an experience of roughly half a million European kilometres under my belt, from UK to Romania. I still don't think that driving habits in Germany are good. I'm just adapted to them. But compared to traffic in countries like UAE, China or Thailand I perceive the general approach to driving to be more aggressive over here. Thais don't care about rules in traffic, Germans tend to care about them too much - quite many of them tend to target you at full throttle because they feels it's their legal right to drive there...

In Dubai or Shanghai the traffic is dense, but if some driver sneaks into a gap right in front of another, it's ok. He was quicker, so be it. If the same happens in Germany, the "duped" driver starts a fuss and tries to punish the first one and insists on "his right". You can observe this a lot on Autobahnen (German highways), where speeds are higher and, most importantly, speed DIFFERENCES can be extreme.

I also think a major reason for the low number of casualties in German traffic is the fact that most of us drive rather modern cars with high security standards. (The cars are also checked every two years.) The death toll among bikers is much higher, but few people ride motorcycles over here.

Oh, and talking about aggression in traffic: I'm a bicycle sports guy. But I've experienced too many life-threatening situations on the road bike, riding alone as well as in larger group. I try to avoid streets completely now and only enjoy my mountain bike in the woods or my track bike on the bike track. Cars are deadly sooner or later.

It's all very simple. There aren't more incapable drivers here than elsewhere . There is a high proportion of policemen that don't do / cannot do their job. If one guy in our village had his bike taken away because he was, for instance repeatedly caught not wearing a helmet / not having a driving license you can bet things would change . As it is a 200B fine is an annoyance and something to boast about.

sent from phone using bih thumbs

"Why is it that when you meet or talk with a Thai they are usually docile in nature, avoid confrontation and/or only smile when faced with a contentious situation?" because they don't understand a simple word of your language, bur they are happy to say yes, yes like some one understand.

I speak Thai. Not fluent but functional Thai enough to get my point across and be understood.

"I unwound my window and asked why he did not give me space to enter the lane I was so obviously headed in and he replied "This is not your country"."

Seriously?

Well I was peeved and wanted to say something different buy I bit my tongue and this was what came out. There was a male passenger in the front seat and he just smiled at me.

Usually I would not have done or said anything and just put up with it but this guy was so obstinate in his attempt to get in front of me that I lost my composure.

I thought your were trying to get in front of him, no?

So do you think if your were Thail he would have let you in?

I think not.

Read my post again. I was in front of him in the first place but he was trying to squeeze by me to get in front of me while waiting for the light to turn green. If I had not partially pulled into the right hand turning lane to indicate that I wanted to turn right then I would probably not have been able to turn at the intersection as Thai driving style is not the most courteous in the world. I don't think my nationality had anything to do with it. He was just an ignorant driver and I hope he gets shown the same consideration the next time he gets caught in a similar situation as myself.

I find the drivers here excellent. Must add I don't drive here. In AU, the drivers have this attitude about " i was here first" and very upset if someone merges into their path. Hence lot of road rage.

Thailand has a much calmer approach. Especially given the roads are not flash. I find the drivers very good

The drivers here remind me of Henry Wadsworth's writing about the little girl, "and when she was good, she was very, very good. And when she was bad, she was very, very bad." I have seen very courteous conscientious drivers, but I have also had to go to the hospital and pick up my wife and niece after they were victims of a hit and run driver.

Even though there are some excellent drivers here, your statement seems to encompass all drivers here, including me, and I am far from an excellent driver.

He did it because that's the way he always drives, he's an everyday moron.

The 'not your country' excuse is just that because there's no way he would have known there was a foreigner driving in your vehicle until you opened the window.

If you were Thai I wonder what his excuse would have been.

One thing Thailand is good at is "making up stories" lets be honest,LYING, the more ridiculous the better, and they have no boundaries on them either.

I refuse to give way to their bullying, Ive been hit twice in the car and i refuse to move over when the aresholes decide to overtake coming the other way with their lights flashing. The result last time was the moron swerved all over the road and rolled his pick up and made my year.

I then got chastised my some member on here for "attempted murder"

I dont care about the car of mine getting damaged anymore..........

The Thai driver also could not know if you had permanent residency and it WAS your country.

Thais I find VERY selfish, dont blather on about that being a generalisation, it seems these are "ok" in TVF if they are "nice" generalisations but not if negative. "ALL Thais are happy n smiling" is acceptable but "all Thais are lazy is not"

Take the title of the post as an example.

Often Ive found when I give a signal the driver will immediately speed up to block access to the lane I have requested to enter even though traffic is slow moving.Nothing would be gained by blocking yet they do it often.

Another funny one is stopping to let a vehicle out...............they just cant believe it and really go into a paralytic state as NO ONE does that here, must upset their me first routine completely.

My God, are you for real?

Unfortunately, it appears so.

• 5 months later...

It's a general excuse to everything these days

I am refused buses because "it is not my country"

I am refused sales because "it is not my country"

etc...

And so we have another Thai bashing thread. A guy has has a traffic dispute and then it becomes a debate on why Thailand is the pits.

The oppressed and the persecuted. Life must be extremely miserable for you in Thailand.

Thai visa the hub of moaners, complainers and wringers. Why anyone would want to stay in a country where they are so unhappy beats me.

It could be because they would be far unhappier in their home country especially if it is the UK.

Ive been hit twice in the car and i refuse to move over when the aresholes decide to overtake coming the other way with their lights flashing.

The result last time was the moron swerved all over the road and rolled his pick up and made my year.

... sad.png

It would have made mine too, just as the time a motorcyclist came riding down the wrong side of the road, I slowed down but I refused to move in front of oncoming traffic, stood my ground, and the guy went past in the opposite direction as me, then came off his bike. That sure made my day.

You could have asked him if this is also his planet....

If people can be so base about nationalism then why stop with people...

It's possible that his phone, car or anything else he uses is either produced elsewhere or most likely invented elsewhere....

What constitutes a nation now anyway?

Nations have sprouted in history from conquering, what's so rightous about that?

I can't think of any country that is mine, sure I have a passport but dont feel that certain dna strands have more rights than others....

You are right up to a point, but it is wrong to come into a country you were not born in and expect them to change their customs, if you are in another country,

you must respect the people and their culture, if you cannot accept that then stay in your own country.

Isn't it the same the world over, people change behind the wheel of a car as they change in a forum !

Having driven in Middle East, Thailand, communist Eastern Europe, USA, Canada and Western Europe, I think the Brits are amongst the most polite drivers, with a few nut cases

You will get nutcases amongst drivers in any country, just as you will get nutcases in any job, ie bankers, dustbinmen, office workers, all sorts of government jobs.

etc...

And so we have another Thai bashing thread. A guy has has a traffic dispute and then it becomes a debate on why Thailand is the pits.

The oppressed and the persecuted. Life must be extremely miserable for you in Thailand.

Thai visa the hub of moaners, complainers and wringers. Why anyone would want to stay in a country where they are so unhappy beats me.

Because I never let idiots alter my moods

Are you sure?

etc...

Nope He was just stating a fact. Why do you lot always think its Thai bashing? Its not. Sounds more like the boot is on the other foot. Grow up a bit

etc...

It could be because they would be far unhappier in their home country especially if it is the UK.

Why the UK. I have friends over regularly, they like to visit but none want to retire here....

etc...

Nope He was just stating a fact. Why do you lot always think its Thai bashing? Its not. Sounds more like the boot is on the other foot. Grow up a bit

Subjective facts.

Archived