Thai are friendly and usually well mannered BUT.....

strabel23

I find the drivers here excellent. Must add I don't drive here. In AU, the drivers have this attitude about " i was here first" and very upset if someone merges into their path. Hence lot of road rage.

Thailand has a much calmer approach. Especially given the roads are not flash. I find the drivers very good

Funniest post of the year. Drivers are excellentcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe the truck driver just had a bad day...and then along came you.

and a bad day entitles him to overtake knowing full well another car (me) is coming in the opposite direction which would have forced me off the road, maybe into a ditch.........in that case YES, well he did get a BAD day in the end but doubtless he is still out there overtaking into oncoming traffic.

Would the story be the same if due to his overtaking he hit me head on killing me and my family or mowing down some other folk?

David.................sorry but sometimes enough is enough with some Thais.

I am not smart enough to apply a root cause to driving habits in my neck of the woods in Thailand, but do find them to be very different. Drivers are very aggressive and seem to dislike using the brakes.

While driving in the U.S., for me at least, is a pleasant experience with a cup of coffee and the music going, while over here I find driving and traveling to be very stressful. I must always have my head on a swivel to watch out for people passing on the right and left and coming the wrong way on cross streets. When waiting at an intersection for the light to change, if I hesitate just a bit the car behind me often will attempt to shoot around me.

I am always amazed at cars and scooters traveling down the shoulders of highways going the wrong direction. My wife and I have a system where she keeps an eye out for cars and scooters coming the wrong way when we are attempting to turn onto a road.

Sometimes we travel with friends or family members and I am more scared during those trips than if I drive. I prefer to be the driver.

The other thing that takes some getting used to, for me at least, is the lack of care towards pedestrians. Trying to get across the streets in the local city, even at the intersections is a dangerous task. Pedestrians over here seem to be treated by drivers with little or no respect or concern.

The other evening we had parked and were walking to take part in a Father's Day event. There were a group of six or eight of us trying to get across the street, in full view of the traffic cop. He continued to direct traffic while completely ignoring us. We finally managed to scurry across the street.

But for me, I chalk it up to a different country and culture. It is probably the main difference that hits me and makes me appreciate driving, walking and traffic habits in general when we make our periodic returns to the U.S.

I find drivers idiots.. i find drivers good.. i find them whatever depends on the situation. The percentage of bad drivers is higher here as in my home country that said there are plenty of ok drivers. I drive big and small bike and often I get cars that are stuck in traffic moving a bit to let my bike pass. The foreigners here (been topics on bikes moving to the front of the line) seem to hate bikes and never give way. So in that respect Thais are much nicer. I give them a big thumbs up if they move a bit to let me through.

But last time when I was in a car going to south Thailand i saw plenty of stupid dangerous things like overtaking on a dual carriage way in bends, on hills (situations where you don't have enough viability to do that and pushing other cars almost of the road to overtake.

So I think there are good and bad drivers here.

To the farangs who want to teach Thais lessons and keep to their style and not adapting .. you guys are crazy. Just adapt to how is driven here you decided to move here and you won't be able to change things. You might end up in hospital or worse. With adapting I don't mean acting like an idiot but accepting things and anticipating the things that irritate you and adapt.

Was your first Wife killed by a Thai on the wrong side of the road doing an overtaking manoeuvre on a blind bend whilst on the phone?

NO neither was mine but they could have been.

Keeping your style does not mean bending over backwards and taking any crap they want to dish out.

Im not going to end up in a ditch which is what would have happened due to his stupidity.

This type of person is the same that pulls up in the right hand lane to go straight on at stop lights as they dont want to wait in line the majority are not like this but theres enough of these <deleted> here who take full advantage of that Thai gentle nature.

The truck driver could have just been a rude driver & not to defend his actions

but could the situation be seen as you jumping the que?

I see this fight daily when picking my wife up from work...There is especially this one very congested Intersection.

I am turning left there & there is a left turn only lane so should be an easy move since no light to turn left &

90% of the cars are going straight to an area with many Moo Bahns

But .....I end up waiting with all the cars that want to go straight because so many Que jumpers go into the left turn only lane

& then after getting as close as they can to the front just full stop & wait for the light to go green before forcing themselves into

the right lane to cross intersection.

This really sucks because this left turn only lane is a quite long...say 200 meters...but it is jammed with que jumpers

It has a dual effect too because it stops those that want to go left & also when light goes green causes so much confusion

with folks fighting to get in & those in the proper lane upset that they are jumping the que trying to not let them in ...that it is a good

amount of green light time wasted for everyone

Again not defending actions & there could be a lot more courtesy/safety in driving here.

Ive been hit twice in the car and i refuse to move over when the aresholes decide to overtake coming the other way with their lights flashing.

The result last time was the moron swerved all over the road and rolled his pick up and made my year.

... sad.png

Mr Kannot, If any Thai driver (and I am generalising here) has an obstruction on the road in front of him/her,ie a parked vehicle, they will never wait until you drive past in the opposite direction. they will just pull out and to hell with you.

I find the drivers here excellent. Must add I don't drive here. In AU, the drivers have this attitude about " i was here first" and very upset if someone merges into their path. Hence lot of road rage.

Thailand has a much calmer approach. Especially given the roads are not flash. I find the drivers very good

What????????????????????????????????????????????????

don't see any Thai bashing....but i think we all have to admit driving here is...mmmh DIFFERENT...

Lets just be straight about this, 90% of Thais are good honest decent people, 90% of Thai drivers, and motor cyclists, are brainless idiots, who have very little common sense.

don't see any Thai bashing....but i think we all have to admit driving here is...mmmh DIFFERENT...

Lets just be straight about this, 90% of Thais are good honest decent people, 90% of Thai drivers, and motor cyclists, are brainless idiots, who have very little common sense.

agreed

1. Bad drivers don't get taken off the roads here. References to Farang ideas of what common sense means here have no place in Thailand.

2. Reading various comments here. I imagine that most posters live in heavily populated urban areas. Someone mentioned flashing indicators being ignored. In Buriram I'm sure I could drive all day without using them. You just slowly start to move over. I use the same technique in Bangkok, but there I definitely use my indicators. I have occasionally had problems with selfish drivers , the last time a Mercedes from Bangkok. Same as when I encountered drivers from Paris in Alsace sometimes.

3. I learnt to drive in the UK, changed to the wrong side of the road in Europe and had no difficulty when I occasionally drove back home and later moved to Thailand.

sent from phone using bih thumbs

I am not smart enough to apply a root cause to driving habits in my neck of the woods in Thailand, but do find them to be very different. Drivers are very aggressive and seem to dislike using the brakes.

While driving in the U.S., for me at least, is a pleasant experience with a cup of coffee and the music going, while over here I find driving and traveling to be very stressful. I must always have my head on a swivel to watch out for people passing on the right and left and coming the wrong way on cross streets. When waiting at an intersection for the light to change, if I hesitate just a bit the car behind me often will attempt to shoot around me.

I am always amazed at cars and scooters traveling down the shoulders of highways going the wrong direction. My wife and I have a system where she keeps an eye out for cars and scooters coming the wrong way when we are attempting to turn onto a road.

Sometimes we travel with friends or family members and I am more scared during those trips than if I drive. I prefer to be the driver.

The other thing that takes some getting used to, for me at least, is the lack of care towards pedestrians. Trying to get across the streets in the local city, even at the intersections is a dangerous task. Pedestrians over here seem to be treated by drivers with little or no respect or concern.

The other evening we had parked and were walking to take part in a Father's Day event. There were a group of six or eight of us trying to get across the street, in full view of the traffic cop. He continued to direct traffic while completely ignoring us. We finally managed to scurry across the street.

But for me, I chalk it up to a different country and culture. It is probably the main difference that hits me and makes me appreciate driving, walking and traffic habits in general when we make our periodic returns to the U.S.

My sentiments exactly. I would venture to say that it is doubtful if anyone of the commentators could disagree with your experiences.

In analyzing the Thai psyche I think most people's experience is from a consumer perspective. Most of our dealings or contacts are as a customer and so we experience attitudes and behaviors as a consumer and the Thai are usually fairly good at looking after a customer. Just look at how many employees are available to assist you when you walk into a HomePro center or similar enterprise or a hotel or guest house where there are plenty of smiling faces to go around even if the service is not all that efficient.

Once you are in your vehicle and driving down the Hwy. all that changes. Now you are just another person and become just another competitor for space on the road and the true nature of a Thai emerges. This translates into various circumstances even as a pedestrian walking across the street. If the Thai are not in the receiving end of a financial transaction there seems to be a markable difference in the level of courtesy, politeness and just common-sense good nature.

Just to correct an earlier assumption the other driver was not driving a lorry but was driving a standard pick-up truck as was I.

I have a theory about how Thais drive. I'm probably wrong, LOL.

Thais aren't allowed to have control of anything when growing up, and many even as adults. They aren't allowed to question etc.

Maybe the first time they are behind the wheel they feel a new freedom from a culture of face and of being subservient. Maybe they feel anonymous and in control.

Maybe they are letting off steam built up from a lifetime of "face."

Even in my home country where people can first get a driver's license at age 16 their insurance rates are atrocious until they "grow up." Most are mature enough to be responsible, but the ones who aren't cause a lot of damage. They suddenly have sole control of something important and they abuse it.

I dunno.

Yet in another thread someone posted " land of the free"

Not until you're an adult.

thailand ranks 6th most dangerous country.

Thailand should have stayed with bicycles and horses.

in their head they are still 100 years in the past.

would you give a car to a 6 years old child? . no!

Thailand is not ready for technology. now they all text while driving . give them an atomic bomb and they will blow out their country by mistake.

The truck driver could have just been a rude driver & not to defend his actions

but could the situation be seen as you jumping the que?

I see this fight daily when picking my wife up from work...There is especially this one very congested Intersection.

I am turning left there & there is a left turn only lane so should be an easy move since no light to turn left &

90% of the cars are going straight to an area with many Moo Bahns

But .....I end up waiting with all the cars that want to go straight because so many Que jumpers go into the left turn only lane

& then after getting as close as they can to the front just full stop & wait for the light to go green before forcing themselves into

the right lane to cross intersection.

This really sucks because this left turn only lane is a quite long...say 200 meters...but it is jammed with que jumpers

It has a dual effect too because it stops those that want to go left & also when light goes green causes so much confusion

with folks fighting to get in & those in the proper lane upset that they are jumping the que trying to not let them in ...that it is a good

amount of green light time wasted for everyone

Again not defending actions & there could be a lot more courtesy/safety in driving here.

Not a Que jumper as I have explained in another post and have also experienced what you have described on a daily basis. I was there first but he just didn't want to let me get ahead of him if he could help it. I have on the other hand shown courtesy to other drivers in similar circumstances but I guess it was too much to expect to be treated with the same courtesy here in Thailand. The other drivers comment about this is not your country suggested to me that he was referring to the style of driving meaning that in Thailand don't expect courtesy from other drivers while here in Thailand as in my home country because in Thailand we don't show common courtesy?

In Bangkok, the lights stay long for quite a while. Add that to the high number of cars on the road (I read somewhere that it's around 8 million when the infrastructure is only catered to 2 million), and there's your answer. I too have been "perplexed" as to why drivers speed up when I am trying to change into their lane, but if you are a local and dealing with the traffic year on year, knowing that any delays might mean miss picking up your kids from school, it's understandable.

So in short, this is just the way it is, and it's not apples to apples by comparing it to the way most foreigners may act when driving. In saying that, yes it annoys me too when I am driving here, which is why I stick to public transport most times.

I thought this was going to be interesting, but then I realized it was about two really boring topics -- driving in Thailand and Thai bashing. I have no interest in either topic.

But I still need to write a post about it.

clap2.gif

and a bad day entitles him to overtake knowing full well another car (me) is coming in the opposite direction which would have forced me off the road, maybe into a ditch.........in that case YES, well he did get a BAD day in the end but doubtless he is still out there overtaking into oncoming traffic.

Would the story be the same if due to his overtaking he hit me head on killing me and my family or mowing down some other folk?

Who's David?

Who's David?

Much better as David Who ?

"I unwound my window and asked why he did not give me space to enter the lane I was so obviously headed in and he replied "This is not your country"."

Seriously?

I encounter the same thing at business meeting particular if there is a dispute, at condo agms..again if there is a disagreement...sometimes it expressed slightly different..same sentiment..not a big deal..there's much worse..

Been driving here since 2001 and it's the same,year in and year out. You just have to be careful and expect the unexpected at anytime and at anyplace. Try not to be in a hurry because it seems a lot of the other drivers are always in a hurry. It's not that they are bad drivers, they just use bad judgement at times. Drivers training in the school system would probably be a great help if it was taught correctly, now they are just picking it up on the fly from friends and relatives. There's an old saying that goes, "if you don't learn it right the first time, who'll spend the rest of your life trying to get it right". Thais diffinitely have their own style of driving.

I thought this was going to be interesting, but then I realized it was about two really boring topics -- driving in Thailand and Thai bashing. I have no interest in either topic.

But I still need to write a post about it.

clap2.gif

And you take time to note this....contribute or move along.

AKA serial stirrer

Put them behind the wheel of a vehicle and all of a sudden they become very aggressive, confrontational and show no courtesy or consideration?

"Them" meaning all 60 plus million?

The term and concept "road rage" is western ... and for good reason. And having driven or been driven in India, Pakistan, Los Angeles and the UAE, I can assure you Thailand is an oasis of serenity on the roads.

And since I spend more time here as a pedestrian than in a vehicle, I would say Thai drivers are quite often considerate ... or at least insofar as they are determined not to have to clean me off their front bumpers.

"I unwound my window and asked why he did not give me space to enter the lane I was so obviously headed in and he replied "This is not your country"."

Seriously?

Well I was peeved and wanted to say something different buy I bit my tongue and this was what came out. There was a male passenger in the front seat and he just smiled at me.

Usually I would not have done or said anything and just put up with it but this guy was so obstinate in his attempt to get in front of me that I lost my composure.

He did it because that's the way he always drives, he's an everyday moron.

The 'not your country' excuse is just that because there's no way he would have known there was a foreigner driving in your vehicle until you opened the window.

If you were Thai I wonder what his excuse would have been.

I guess you have never driven in Rome! Australia is pretty bad too in another way. Drivers are very agressive, they honk at you if you are not driving fast

Archived