Thai are friendly and usually well mannered BUT.....

strabel23

It's a general excuse to everything these days

I am refused buses because "it is not my country"

I am refused sales because "it is not my country"

etc...

And so we have another Thai bashing thread. A guy has has a traffic dispute and then it becomes a debate on why Thailand is the pits.

The oppressed and the persecuted. Life must be extremely miserable for you in Thailand.

Thai visa the hub of moaners, complainers and wringers. Why anyone would want to stay in a country where they are so unhappy beats me.

That question has been competently and comprehensively answered just about as many times as you and others have thrown it out there, and yet you still don't know?

Hmm.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, I've never experienced any of this.

But, one thing for sure ... in Thailand ... we all have different experiences.

Your in Aus matey...................facepalm.gif ........................smile.png

Aye Laddy, for the moment, Indeed I am.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

There seems to be only one rule here. Don't hit anything. Get used to it. Much better than hoards of traffic police, speed cameras, red light cameras and hoards of parking wardens not to mention sky high car park fee's. One can always take a tuk tuk for a real thrilling ride.

etc...

And so we have another Thai bashing thread. A guy has has a traffic dispute and then it becomes a debate on why Thailand is the pits.

The oppressed and the persecuted. Life must be extremely miserable for you in Thailand.

Thai visa the hub of moaners, complainers and wringers. Why anyone would want to stay in a country where they are so unhappy beats me.

Put them behind the wheel of a vehicle and all of a sudden they become very aggressive, confrontational and show no courtesy or consideration?

"Krengjai" ... Not wishing to cause loss of face to another. Usually only happens when Thais are face to face with someone. When hidden behind tinted windows of a vehicle....they don't give a damn.

...and add this to the equation too...

Maybe they are letting off steam built up from a lifetime of "face."

Generally, Thais are cowards. There's your answer.

etc...

Guess what? It's not your country and expecting Thais to behave and react as you would normally do is the height of cultural arrogance or ignorance or both. Thais do not have the same concept of Right-of-Way, Safe Distance, or Queue, as do Westerners. Driving and especially driving in traffic is relatively new to them--how many had cars one or two generations ago; how many current drivers are the first drivers in their families? Yes, I too get mad seeing how the Thais drive, and I like to ride a bike. You think they run you off the road in a car? Try riding a motorcycle.

etc...

may be because its better than the alternative .....................there own country ?

Thai thinking!

I tried to enter the celebration for the king in front of the royal palace on Friday. I was denied entry by two police officers based on the facts that I wore a violet (not yellow) shirt and being "farang".

I like the Thai king, atleast he's doing/did something for the people of Thailand compared with the king of my home country, he is just embarrassing! I even have two pictures together with two of the Thai princesses.

So my conclusion:

As foreigner we can't celebrate the king, atleast if we don't wear the right colour (according to RTP)

Same "ME" thinking as you see on the road.

etc...

I disagree. There is a decided "we are Thai thus we are right" attitude, and a "farang" is wrong always attitude as well. National pride? I dunno. But the phenom exists. Many years ago when I worked for a major Thai company in the U.S. we (U.S. nationals) were constantly lectured on "Thai people!" being right, and everyone else being wrong, from everything from use of the microwave to flat out lying to cover mistakes. Thais themselves draw racial lines of Us. vs. Them - it is a cultural norm. I'm not saying it's good or bad or right or wrong, but it IS a cultural norm. Additionally, when we (U.S. employees of a Thai company) took Thai language classes in the office, paid for by our employers, the teacher told us that "farang" is equivalent to the N word in U.S. culture and carries a nasty, nasty connotation. So much so that he would not repeat the word and would only talk about it when asked repeatedly for a definition. Times may have changed, as I see the word used on this forum a lot, but then (80's), our teacher was totally horrified that any of us asked about the meaning of that word.

What I've been actually impressed about when driving in Thailand (mostly cities in Isaan, only occasionally in Bangkok) is how patient Thais are with each other. They don't impatiently blast their horns at each other (as in Singapore where I spend a lot of time), and I don't often see deliberately a-hole moves (like in Singapore). They sometimes seem a little clueless/unwise in their driving behaviour, and they will park anywhere they want, but I don't see outright aggressiveness. In Canada, where I'm from, drivers are more likely to give you a chance to enter traffic, and they will signal before making a move. But they're also more likely to give you the finger (the Canadian salute), yell at you, flash you their lights, etc etc if they feel you've done something wrong... they're more polite, but also more aggressive. There's some positive in the Thai way, I think.

A post has been removed:

In using Thai Visa you agree to abide by the following terms:

1) You will not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or any one member of the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution.

By law, the Thai Royal Family are above politics. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.

Discussion of the Lese Majeste law or Lese Majeste cases is permitted on the forum, providing no comment or speculation is made referencing the royal family.

To breach these rules may result in immediate ban.

Linking to external sites which break these rules will be treated as if you yourself posted them.

The only reason is: Thais learn to be fake when they are still young. Most of Thais ( not all of them though) are not real. Fake smiles and stabbing you in the back if they have the opportunity. But we chose to live in this country so we must adapt ourselves but avoid to be like them...wink.pngwink.pngwink.png

You could have asked him if this is also his planet....

If people can be so base about nationalism then why stop with people...

It's possible that his phone, car or anything else he uses is either produced elsewhere or most likely invented elsewhere....

What constitutes a nation now anyway?

Nations have sprouted in history from conquering, what's so rightous about that?

I can't think of any country that is mine, sure I have a passport but dont feel that certain dna strands have more rights than others....

The only other nation where I have seen similar behaviour is in France; I do speak from good experience as I lived there for 10 years. I used to ask many of my French friends "..why do you drive like this?", and "...what's the problem?". Noticeably, when they were actually driving I never got a rational response, it was only over a few drinks that I got to the about as near to the bottom of it as I could without the services of a psychiatrist. One of my good friends, a well-educated man, a hospital administrator, said "Nick, I have often asked myself the very same questions; why do I drive so crazy and why do I get so angry? All I can tell you is that I know that when I get behind the driving wheel I change personality, I become a different person, but I have never been able to answer my own questions as to why this should be!"

I never got any closer than that.

etc...

Lets put your posts in perspective.

You are also the one defending ThaiPolice in the random piss testing/extortion of tourists on the street.

A tourist basher.

Now go enjoy that somtum with your adopted Thai family....

I would also like to include The Stuttering Parrot

he love's farang bashing! And the RTP!

I drive frequently and walk everyday.

I do so with the expectation that I am going to get to my destination eventually.

I try not figure out why anyone does whatever it is they do, since I do not or cannot alter their way of doing whatever it is they are doing.

I am not in charge of the conduct of others.

Others are not going about their life with me in their plans.

I try to be courteous and considerate, even though the same may not be returned.

I avoid confrontation for the petty, thereby bypassing escalation and stress.

Easy Does It.

The OP did admit that he was in the wrong lane and pulled out, ignoring everyone else who was in the correct lane, and then had the audacity to wind down the window to confront the poor lorry driver. You can't have your cake and eat it, my friend.

I'm guessing you don't drive!

I have a theory about how Thais drive. I'm probably wrong, LOL.

Thais aren't allowed to have control of anything when growing up, and many even as adults. They aren't allowed to question etc.

Maybe the first time they are behind the wheel they feel a new freedom from a culture of face and of being subservient. Maybe they feel anonymous and in control.

Maybe they are letting off steam built up from a lifetime of "face."

Even in my home country where people can first get a driver's license at age 16 their insurance rates are atrocious until they "grow up." Most are mature enough to be responsible, but the ones who aren't cause a lot of damage. They suddenly have sole control of something important and they abuse it.

I dunno.

Yep -- your last line is exactly correct !! w00t.gif

I find the drivers here excellent. Must add I don't drive here. In AU, the drivers have this attitude about " i was here first" and very upset if someone merges into their path. Hence lot of road rage.

Thailand has a much calmer approach. Especially given the roads are not flash. I find the drivers very good

I hope your saying this joking.....am i right?

I can relate to the part in the OP about being cut off by motorbike riders when I am walking on the footpath. It happens all the time. The usual culprits are arrogant foreigners.

Really?

And so there isnt any "arrogant" thai's that do this?

Your showing your true color's!

If the police did there job many would be paying fines daily and some in jail. The police force could make millions of baht if they did their job instead of watching tv.

Or playing "candy crush" or busy trying to come up with some fraudulent excuse to search and extort some "farang" or tourist of their money.

My theory is that where you have poor driving you have good food. US, Brittian, Japan and Germany have good driving habits and uninspiring food. Thailand, China, Taiwan, Fraance and even Singapore have poor driving behavior, but fantastic food.

To asnwer your question, they just do not know any better. They have never been shown the correct way.

etc...

hmmm, one theory that comes to mind is if thailand is the only place they can readily get laid; would seem to counter to perceived negatives making them bearable

I can relate to the part in the OP about being cut off by motorbike riders when I am walking on the footpath. It happens all the time. The usual culprits are arrogant foreigners.

Really?

And so there isnt any "arrogant" thai's that do this?

Your showing your true color's!

Can you offer a less vacuous explanation for "showing your true color's"?

When was the last time you were in Udon

I'll start again, foreigners are the usual culprits.

What I've been actually impressed about when driving in Thailand (mostly cities in Isaan, only occasionally in Bangkok) is how patient Thais are with each other. They don't impatiently blast their horns at each other (as in Singapore where I spend a lot of time), and I don't often see deliberately a-hole moves (like in Singapore). They sometimes seem a little clueless/unwise in their driving behaviour, and they will park anywhere they want, but I don't see outright aggressiveness. In Canada, where I'm from, drivers are more likely to give you a chance to enter traffic, and they will signal before making a move. But they're also more likely to give you the finger (the Canadian salute), yell at you, flash you their lights, etc etc if they feel you've done something wrong... they're more polite, but also more aggressive. There's some positive in the Thai way, I think.

You have a good point here, there is no one more critical of Thai drivers than me, but it is true, even in the busiest parts of Bangkok, you hardly ever hear vehicles horns being blasted.

You have a good point here, there is no one more critical of Thai drivers than me, but it is true, even in the busiest parts of Bangkok, you hardly ever hear vehicles horns being blasted.

Go to a tourist area where there are van, bus, taxi, tuk tuk young kids on motor bike drivers and you will change your tone quick. They are kings of assholedness. There isnt a day around that I dont let drivers know how much of a buttwipe they are.

I have another post coming to this thread but I need to get my cam out of truck and download the video from yesterday. :)

Archived