Rumours of Retirement Age Visa Requirements Changing

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Funny coming from a person that belive 60 -70+ year old is normal for an ED visa and study

Nobody is too old to learn. Even older 80+.

But yet one can be too young to retire. thumbsup.gif

General retirement age is certainly not 50 in any country in the world, or am I wrong? So if the finances are the only reason to qualify for retirement then guys in their 20s and having plenty of money should be eligible too! It is too bad that you would have to wait till 50, so discriminatory.

Funny coming from a person that belive 60 -70+ year old is normal for an ED visa and study

General retirement age is certainly not 50 in any country in the world, or am I wrong? So if the finances are the only reason to qualify for retirement then guys in their 20s and having plenty of money should be eligible too! It is too bad that you would have to wait till 50, so discriminatory.
You can get a retirement visa at 35 in the Philippines. Edited by BKKSnowBird

And you belive the general age for a student is 60-80 year !!! Every opinion from you is always based on what gives most money to your business.....rather boring

Edited by bangkoklasse

It's a Macwindup.

I have had nothing to do with that. Expressing my opinion is allowed, the same as other members are allowed to express their opinions. 60-65 sounds about right to me, and say 1.5 mil in the bank.

1.5 Million what?

At 60-65 you'd certainly hope they'd have more in the bank.

A number of people actually do retire at 50 or 55, I will claim one of my pensions at 50.

• Like 1

Spurious rumors, don't believe them. Probably a guy in a bar started this.

I think immigration started it.

I belive you started it. I have seen many posts from you about it before. Of course it's a good way of getting people scared so they sign up at your visa shools

• Like 2

...changing the age requirements for retirement visas from 50 to 60 or 65?

Do you mean the non-imm O or O-A visa (incorrectly called a retirement visa) or the retirement extension, which is not a visa?

SNIP....

Suradith69 - your statement above and as quoted below

"Do you mean the non-imm O or O-A visa (incorrectly called a retirement visa) or the retirement extension, which is not a visa?"

Suradit69 - I call your attention to the following information below:
Taken from the Royal Thai Embassy, Washington, D.C. website.
Please check out the image and the web link Royal Thai Embassy, Washington, D.C. below....
post-135557-0-32271400-1417944823_thumb.
Thank You....

It's a Macwindup.

I have had nothing to do with that. Expressing my opinion is allowed, the same as other members are allowed to express their opinions. 60-65 sounds about right to me, and say 1.5 mil in the bank.

says he rubbing his hands together on the way to the benz dealer

• Like 1

Certainly possible. 50 is too young for a retirement age. 55 or 60 could happen soon.

ahh there is a comment with a business eye. Education visas should surely have some maximum age,such as 30. Most Older folk arent looking at learning Thai for nothing more than the visa. Edited by kingalfred

I belive you started it. I have seen many posts from you about it before. Of course it's a good way of getting people scared so they sign up at your visa shools

You think I am that influential? I don't think so. What do you think is behind the idea of making it harder for foreigners to live in Thailand? Why the visa requirements are getting harder and harder? The idea is simple, too many foreigners living in Thailand and the authorities would like to see a great number to return home. Europe is getting worse and worse, more and more people want to live here. I am sure they are looking closely at the retirement extension of stay now too. Interestingly usually the older guys were the ones bashing the younger ones for wanting to live here, criticising ED visas and what scam it was etc. What goes around comes around.

the reason in my opinion that rules are being tightened is because of the people abusing the system repeat tourist visa's and the biggest offender the Ed visa

• Like 2

Personally - I do not think there will be any change any time soon (several years or more) in Thai Immigration's rules as it applies to 'retirement' - Extensions of Stay based on Retirement or the Non Imm 'O-A' Visa... or even for that matter the Non Imm 'O' Visa.

But I do take note that the only thing predictable in Thailand or with Thai Immigration is that they are unpredictable.

My visa says retirement , so it is a retirement visa to me , don't really care what it is called . Retired at 46 and will never work again , they will never catch me working .

Edited by muffy
  • Like 2

You think I am that influential? I don't think so. What do you think is behind the idea of making it harder for foreigners to live in Thailand? Why the visa requirements are getting harder and harder? The idea is simple, too many foreigners living in Thailand and the authorities would like to see a great number to return home. Europe is getting worse and worse, more and more people want to live here. I am sure they are looking closely at the retirement extension of stay now too. Interestingly usually the older guys were the ones bashing the younger ones for wanting to live here, criticising ED visas and what scam it was etc. What goes around comes around.

ED visas are the largest abusers of visas. It's so obvious that everything you write is just based on what " gives you the most money"

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Certainly possible. 50 is too young for a retirement age. 55 or 60 could happen soon.

there are more than enough people on this planet that are smart enough to be able to retire at age of 50 or even younger, and then spend their money in the LOS.

these are actually the "quality" type of foreigners Thailand desperately wants to attract, and the country would lose a lot of money (demolish hundreds of new Condo buildings, anyone ?) if they prevent these people to establish their residence here

Where, in the eligibility criteria does it say one has to be retired? I certainly haven't read it anywhere. If one is 50+ and can meet the financial criteria that's just about it. So if you happen to be a smart guy, whose accrued enough funds to be able to park 800,000 THB in a local bank and can run a business at a distance via phone and internet and there are plenty around who are doing just that, you've cracked it. surely, from the Thai authorities viewpoint, not working in Thailand is the key feature of granting an extension.

• Like 1

I am considering starting a retirement business, I think there is much space for quality retirement service. I am certainly not promoting increased retirement age, and things may not change for a long time but since there are those rumours we are talking about them. I am used to personal attacks no matter what I say. What have I done to deserve so much negativity? Anybody who has ever used my service knows how much I care about providing the very best service and my customer satisfaction is 90-95%.

I am considering starting a retirement business, I think there is much space for quality retirement service. I am certainly not promoting increased retirement age, and things may not change for a long time but since there are those rumours we are talking about them. I am used to personal attacks no matter what I say. What have I done to deserve so much negativity? Anybody who has ever used my service knows how much I care about providing the very best service and my customer satisfaction is 90-95%.

Gawd..............you will get sussed one day...................rolleyes.gif ..

• Like 1

So if you happen to be a smart guy, whose accrued enough funds to be able to park 800,000 THB in a local bank and can run a business at a distance via phone and internet and there are plenty around who are doing just that, you've cracked it. surely, from the Thai authorities viewpoint, not working in Thailand is the key feature of granting an extension.

That is an interesting post, great many retirees work from Thailand but not technically in Thailand.

• Like 1

Well I think it is quite possible they will change the retirement visa rules.

Considering how xenophobic your average thai is and the number of dead beat farangs all over Thailand I would consider it to be quite popular with the majority of thais.

There seems to be a general crackdown on visas so an extension at looking at the retirement visa rules is not out of the question at all.

As mentioned by a previous poster, there are several trades/professions where it is legally possible to retire and draw a pension below the age of 50.

I started drawing my main company pension at the age of 51, but carried on working at another company until I was 57. AFAIK the current UK legislation states that anyone can draw a company/private pension at the age of 50, regardless of occupation.

• Like 1