Rumours of Retirement Age Visa Requirements Changing

So, if the UK Thai regs are now requiring a retiremwnt age od 65, does this also apply to ex-pat Brits living overseas in countries other than Thailand who wish to apply for a Thai retirement visa?

Depends entirely on the particular regs adopted by the Thai embassies in those countries.

• Like 1

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wouldn't count on anything being "grandfathered"

That sounds about right. Feeling of entitlement is strong. Not mentioning that many do not have those 800k in the bank but it is done through various tricks.

Most people doing tricks to get the visa are probably the ones signing up for Walens visa schools. And not attending to the lessons. Which is ok in Walens visa school

Come on, you guys know what tricks Mr Mac was referring to specifically about the topic of this thread - retirement extensions. Example, law firms blatantly advertising "Guaranteed retirement visa with no money in the bank and no monthly income, blah blah blah". But it's against the rules here to explain how the tricks are done to fool immigration. However, fool them once too often and then the consequences might be severe.

But it's against the rules here to explain how the tricks are done to fool immigration. However, fool them once too often and then the consequences might be severe.

It's not against the rules to explain what some people illegally do.

And hardly that is "fooling" immigration because there is enough evidence that corrupt officers are part of the operation.

Don't worry too much about protecting Thailand Immigration, they need no help in that, be reassured.

• Like 1

Certainly possible. 50 is too young for a retirement age. 55 or 60 could happen soon.

Could you please explain your remark --55 or 60 could happen soon-- or is this just another TV poster stupid,nothing else to do ,post

Says he's a sponsor of this site and when his name is clicked on.... UP POPS.... SIAM Legal Servicesthumbsup.gif

For the life of me I don't understand why people hassle MacWalen. Does someone think he's going to tell everything he knows in an open forum? And no, signing up for classes and not attending isn't what he can do for you.

He's been at this a long time and knows his business and he knows people. He's helped a lot of people including with work permits.

It seems to be the nature of many posters on this board to attack, moan, and if that doesn't work then whine. If all of the ignorant posts were removed from this thread there wouldn't be much left.

Go ahead and moan, whine, and bitch at me. I couldn't care less what some people think of me.

If you're suggesting that character "knows" the age requirements for O-A visas and retirement extensions are going to be raised, sorry, I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT, and don't see any rational basis for thinking he "knows" that either. I see a bunch of speculation, as said before, based on NOTHING.

• Like 2

Hope it's not true and just a daft rumour. Plenty of the oldies have been here years, have family and friends in Thailand and would find it hard to readjust to life in the west.

However, those foaming at the mouth apologists for far right politics deserve what may be coming to them. It's not difficult to understand. Far right politics = mistrust and dislike of foreigners. It's probably not a good idea to support that when you are in fact, a foreigner in their country. No amount of cowardice or sycophancy will save you if that is the case here, sorry.

Good luck (I mean that) to all those trying to live peacefully with their families in Thailand for the new year and beyond.

• Like 1

So, if the UK Thai regs are now requiring a retiremwnt age od 65, does this also apply to ex-pat Brits living overseas in countries other than Thailand who wish to apply for a Thai retirement visa?

As repeated 100s of times on this forum there is no such thing as a 'retirement visa'. However to answer your question; No

Edited by simple1

I had a retirement visa in the mid 90's and then lost it as I came back one day too late to renew. At that time I was spending six months here and six months in the US. Then, I never applied until mid 2000's by which time Mr T had raised the requirement from around 35000 to the present 65000 bt monthly (or 800,000 bt in the bank) Just wondering if anyone still on here is under the so called grandfather clause and only has to have the 35000 bt monthly income requirement.

Why would the requirement of 35k from the mid 90's be grandfathered to the year 2014? Ever heard of inflation therefore requiring more money needed for everyday living expenses?

Why would the requirement of 35k from the mid 90's be grandfathered to the year 2014? Ever heard of inflation therefore requiring more money needed for everyday living expenses?

Because these are the Immigration regulations. 200,0000 baht or 20,000 monthly. The requirement is to have been been given the the extension every year since then.

You can check yourself

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=280330

As usual, a random post gets a forum all riled up. The OP posted once, and then walked away enjoying the commotion. Calm down.

Nope I posted twice and I didn't run away.

And I heard this through some thai friends not farangs and I also asked some other people who heard the same thing.

Yes it is a rumour but considering that other visa categories that were being abused have been tightened what makes you think that it wont happen to retirement visas.

That is why the rumour has more credibility the fact that there is a general crackdown on visas.

Having read all the previous posts on this topic I'd like to share some information i received directly from the Thai Consulate in Hull, UK. I usually come here for 3 months a year, have Thai wife & house in Korat. The previous 2 years I have been granted a "non-immigrant O visa", issued by Hull. When I applied this year I was told that Hull can no longer issue this type (has to be London), and I needed 3 months' payslips showing a minimum income of around £800. When I commented that things have changed as that was one of the requirements for a Retirement Extension, she said that "Everything is changing with Immigration now and the retirement extension qualification is now 65 years of age". This was a shock as I am currently 58 and was looking forward to getting a retirement extension in the near future.

Don't shoot the messenger, as this is precisely what I was told by Hull Thai Consulate in late October 2014. I ended up getting a 120 day double-entry Tourist Visa but was expecting a 90-day "O" Visa.

Cheers, Jim.

Looks like this loophole visa is being cracked down on, just like the so-called loophole ED Visa which many forum posters have called a "loophole" visa. After that it's probably all the other "loophole" visas for any foreigner to stay here therefore Thailand will have no more foreigners or only a small handful left.

"Why would the requirement of 35k from the mid 90's be grandfathered to the year 2014?"

Because it was grandfathered, but only for those who kept their extensions rolling. Snooky broke his string of extensions, now he wonders if there are still some folks who only have to meet the old standard. I'm sure there are.

Spurious rumors, don't believe them. Probably a guy in a bar started this.

I think immigration started it.

I belive you started it. I have seen many posts from you about it before. Of course it's a good way of getting people scared so they sign up at your visa shools

You think I am that influential? I don't think so. What do you think is behind the idea of making it harder for foreigners to live in Thailand? Why the visa requirements are getting harder and harder? The idea is simple, too many foreigners living in Thailand and the authorities would like to see a great number to return home. Europe is getting worse and worse, more and more people want to live here. I am sure they are looking closely at the retirement extension of stay now too. Interestingly usually the older guys were the ones bashing the younger ones for wanting to live here, criticising ED visas and what scam it was etc. What goes around comes around.

Oh dear you are a very unpleasant little man!

• Like 1

For the life of me I don't understand why people hassle MacWalen. Does someone think he's going to tell everything he knows in an open forum? And no, signing up for classes and not attending isn't what he can do for you.

He's been at this a long time and knows his business and he knows people. He's helped a lot of people including with work permits.

It seems to be the nature of many posters on this board to attack, moan, and if that doesn't work then whine. If all of the ignorant posts were removed from this thread there wouldn't be much left.

Go ahead and moan, whine, and bitch at me. I couldn't care less what some people think of me.

If you're suggesting that character "knows" the age requirements for O-A visas and retirement extensions are going to be raised, sorry, I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT, and don't see any rational basis for thinking he "knows" that either. I see a bunch of speculation, as said before, based on NOTHING.

I think Neversure was mostly talking about the needless and useless attacks on MacWalen - most having to do with his ED Visa required school, and that he makes money, etc. ... not specifically the issue of the thread... That is my take anyway.

• Like 1

As repeated 100s of times on this forum there is no such thing as a 'retirement visa'. However to answer your question; No

Yes there --- Go see... check out the image and the link... Royal Thai Embassy, Washington, D.C. web site.

Scroll down the page just a little... and you will see..

http://www.thaiembdc.org/dcdp/?q=Type_of_Visa

post-135557-0-34798900-1418001301_thumb.

• Like 1

Thai immigration use the term "retirement visa". The legal profession use the term "retirement visa". Many people on this & other forums use the term "retirement visa". Royal Thai Consulates use the term "retirement visa". And, most importantly of all, I use the term "retirement visa".

Technically you are probably correct, but I just can't understand why the likes of you get so upset when someone uses the term "retirement visa" in general conversation.

The official term is "Kingdom of Thailand". So when referring to Thailand, do you always say Thailand or Kingdom of Thailand ? I'll wager my last penny, that in general conversation you say "Thailand" not "Kingdom of Thailand". This forum is just that, a forum, not an official government document where every word has to be precise, exact.

Most people know what the term "retirement visa" refers to.

Retirement visa.... retirement visa.... retirement visa. Ah, now I feel better.

Cheers..... Mal.

The MInistry of Foreign Affairs calls it an Non Immigrant O-A Visa (Long Stay) on the visa itself. They may refer to it as being for retirement but that is just the reason, like support of a wife or child etc. But like everything else here in Thailand they are not consistent. Of the 5 O-A visas that I have in my current passport, only 2 out of 5 have Long Stay written on the visa

post-10942-0-06207900-1418001376_thumb.p

"I use the term "retirement visa"."

That's fine as long as you aren't asking a question about it.

But if you say to me that you "have a retirement visa" and you have some question about that, I have to begin by asking:

- Do you have a valid Non O? or

- Do you have a valid Non O-A? or

- Do you have an extension based on retirement?

Three different situations, three different sets of rules.

• Like 1

Certainly possible. 50 is too young for a retirement age. 55 or 60 could happen soon.

50 for retirement age. Thats called living right, for those who can do it. I was unable to afford it before 59. Those who can put the finances in place by 50 I envy and applaud.

If all responsibilities are handled by then that would be called winning the game of life.

• Like 1

I heard immigration is going to require all Thai language schools to videotape all classes.

They will also be required to keep strict attendance records, and deliver them to immigration weekly, accompanied by sworn affidavits by the school's owners that the records are correct.

And, for every student who after six months of classes can not fluently read and write in Thai, the school will be fined three times the student's tuition.

Probably all just rumor, though.

I heard from a confidential source that pee tests were going to be given to all students on ED visas before every class and the school would have to conduct and pay for the tests; keeping the urine on hand for 6 years in case of questions.

• Like 2