Rumours of Retirement Age Visa Requirements Changing

There seems to be a rumour going around Pattaya at the moment that the govt is considering changing the age requirements for retirement visas from 50 to 60 or 65?

Is this rumour based on anything solid?

And have other people heard this too?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Would be a massive and spectacular own goal if they did

To avoid this situation would require thinking about consequences and caring about them. Oh dear TIT.

True , silly me . Cause and effect wouldn't be considered at all

Edited by ExPratt

...changing the age requirements for retirement visas from 50 to 60 or 65?

Do you mean the non-imm O or O-A visa (incorrectly called a retirement visa) or the retirement extension, which is not a visa?

I think the age requirements for a visa in UK based on retirement have already been raised beyond those for other embassies/consulates.

Would be a massive and spectacular own goal if they did

To avoid this situation would require thinking about consequences and caring about them. Oh dear TIT.

Oh dear indeed. Another pointless and specious dig here at TV.

Edited by Suradit69

Certainly possible. 50 is too young for a retirement age. 55 or 60 could happen soon.

If that is the case, just think of the consequences !!

All guys in the age range 50-54 (suppose they increase it to 55) (with a current Retirement Extension) will have to be start doing Visa Runs again, or maybe even going the ED Visa route (and maybe start studying at your school wink.png )

Edit: If it is cause, I most certainly hope for a grandfather clause.

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

Certainly possible. 50 is too young for a retirement age. 55 or 60 could happen soon.

If that is the case, just think of the consequences !!

Not a real problem. Immigration probably would grandfather the old rule for those who already got extensions for reason of retirement but would now be under the new minimum age. smile.png

If Immigration continue to find guys working illegally on "retirement extension", surely it could be logic for them to re-increase this minimum age.

• Like 1

If this is more than a rumour could the basis be an upsurge in numbers taking up the Thai Elite visa?

Have not seen any information on how many Elite visas have been issued in recent months, but, if significant, could someone in government circles be thinking that raising the retirement extension age limit would push more punters into taking up (or extending) this option. After all, it's a well known fact in Thailand that all foreigners have loads of dosh!

• Like 1

I hate rumour mongers...including the kind that starts a chat with a statement like 'Is it true that'

strong word but it is always odd, people don't know what a rumor is.

rumor - false information. created by the life less to add fake meaning to whatever they aren't very good at. like living in their moment. enjoying lack of confusion.

It is a rumour based on speculation because of the changes that are taking place in respect to other visas. I could see them making changes in the requirements. I could even see them raising the age back to 55 and/or changing the financial requirements -- but it is not based on anything. I don't see them lowering or eliminating the age requirement.

If Immigration continue to find guys working illegally on "retirement extension", surely it could be logic for them to re-increase this minimum age.

You think some of those retirees work illegally in Thailand? They might spoil it for those real retirees who just spend money.

• Like 1